Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0ast

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
I've found my old Sawtooth worthy another upgrade. Some time ago I put in a new GPU, Geforce 4 mx (32 mb), which boosted the performance both in Os X and games greatly. I can even play World Of Warcraft (averaging at 12 FPS in most areas).
Anyway now I'm looking for a CPU upgrade. I've found OWC Mercury Extreme G4/933MHz-1GHz and Sonnet Encore G4/1GHz to be the best alternatives, having a finger at the last.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these cards or any idea which of them being the best pick?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
t0ast said:
I've found my old Sawtooth worthy another upgrade. Some time ago I put in a new GPU, Geforce 4 mx (32 mb), which boosted the performance both in Os X and games greatly. I can even play World Of Warcraft (averaging at 12 FPS in most areas).
Anyway now I'm looking for a CPU upgrade. I've found OWC Mercury Extreme G4/933MHz-1GHz and Sonnet Encore G4/1GHz to be the best alternatives, having a finger at the last.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these cards or any idea which of them being the best pick?

Always had good luck with Sonnet's stuff, personally. Have three Sawtooths in my office that we bumped.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have an old Sawtooth as well, but haven't really bothered with upgrading the CPU - but it is nice to see that the prices have come down nicely on those upgrades. I can't put a dual in mine, either, so I'd be stuck with a single CPU.

Once you update, post on how well it works - I might do the same thing and increase the performance of my renderfarm :D

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
These being in the $200 range, I might do my Sawtooth, too.

I upgraded a Cube a couple of years ago (at a higher price) and, while it was tedious, it was straightforward and worked fine. Sawtooth should be much easier.

I'm concerned about Tiger incompatibilities with my VPN and networking applications, so I don't think I'm going to install it on my main machines for a while.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
johnnowak said:
Go with OWC/Newer. Sonnet is a not so close second. Avoid PowerLogix at all costs...

I got a Newer CPU upgrade in my old Power Computing PowerTower Pro Mac Clone way back when. The last time I checked, its still running. :D

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
johnnowak said:
... Avoid PowerLogix at all costs...

Mine was a PowerLogix, and I had no trouble. Looking at my old notes, going from 450MHz to 1GHz increased my Xbench score by 50%. I do recall it felt like a much faster machine.

T0ast, where did you get your geforce 4? Does it have a DVI connector?

t0ast

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
cubist said:
T0ast, where did you get your geforce 4? Does it have a DVI connector?

I bought mine from OWC some time ago for about 75$, the best 75$ I've spent so far. It does have both a DVI and an ADC connector and came with DVI-to-VGA adapter.

I might end up with OWC's, since I already have a good experience with them.. (I remember when I upgraded my monster of a 6100 with a G3@ 247.5MHz :D)

Thanks for the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.