Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robemich

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I'm wanting to understand if it would be possible to shoot remotely tethered with an Eye-Fi card using Aperture's hot folders. Where it gets tricky is that I would like to have this folder shared to my AppleTV.

Here's what I need to work:
I need to be able to walk around a party and shoot JPEG+RAW files from my Nikon D90. I would like to transmit the JPEG (or JPEG+RAW) files to my laptop running Aperture 3. Then I need Aperture to import the files automatically as they are being shot. Then at the same time, I need my AppleTV to play a slide show that is updated as the pictures get imported.

I'm not dead-set on this work flow, so I'm open to suggestions. I posted this to Photography forum because I know the hot folders are supposed to work with the Eye-Fi.

Anyone tried this before? Thx.

-mike

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I think as long as you have your Apple TV set to play a slideshow of the project the photos are being imported to it should work. The best way to figure it out is to test it and confirm that new photos are showing up.

Also, if it does work that's awesome. I think it's a great idea for showing photos of the event you're covering.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Your proposal is: Eye-Fi>Aperture>iTunes>ATV>TV.

The secret is to keep Aperture out of the equation. It does way too many weird things with images and even iTunes won't reliably transfer them over to send on to the ATV. While Eye-Fi files might actually trick Aperture into working, I wouldn't count on it.

You want: Eye-Fi>desktop folder that you create>iTunes>ATV>TV.

Or: Eye-Fi>iPhoto>iTunes>ATV>TV might work. Just keep the beast that is Ap3 out of it.

Of course there are programs that allow physical tethering, so maybe it will prove to be less frustrating to simply get a cord. Eye-Fi would be cooler though!

robemich

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Good thing an Eye-Fi is inexpensive. I think it's time to just purchase one and give it a whirl.

Thanks for everyone that replied.

-mike

gillat

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

I'll try to answer, but there is one unknown.

The Eye-Fi card can upload to any local folder. Aperture can watch a folder. So far, so good. But what I don't know is whether or not the slideshows are updated automatically as new images arrive. That has nothing to do with our card and you'll need to figure that out. But we'll deliver your content :)

Thanks,

Ziv.
Eye-Fi co-founder

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I think iTunes folders need to be manually updated.

Even though Folder Z is already in the system any new photos in the folder will only show up in iTunes when you "re-add" the folder.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Hi,

I'll try to answer, but there is one unknown.

The Eye-Fi card can upload to any local folder. Aperture can watch a folder. So far, so good. But what I don't know is whether or not the slideshows are updated automatically as new images arrive. That has nothing to do with our card and you'll need to figure that out. But we'll deliver your content :)

Thanks,

Ziv.
Eye-Fi co-founder

If you're uploading to a folder though, it may be best to just have iTunes watch that folder instead of going through Aperture. I'm still not sure how often iTunes updates the slideshow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.