PDA

View Full Version : USB ports and Windows emulation/virtualization

Fishrrman
Oct 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hello all -

I generally have no need to run Windows on the Mac, but I've got an unusual problem and wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions.

A number of fuel-injected motorcycles now have aftermarket "tuners" -- small "boxes" that plug into the vehicle's fuel injection controller and allow the rider to modify the fuel curves for better performance.

One in particular is by a company called Dynojet called the "Power Commander USB", and -- like the name implies -- it has a USB connector for connection to your Windows laptop. Hook it up, and the "fuel map" can be viewed (looks like a spreadsheet), and replacement maps can be downloaded to the EFI controller from your laptop.

However, the software is Windows-only. No Mac version.

Of course, there are "Virtualization options", like Parallels (requires a copy of Windows to run, right?), and Crossover (which can run some Windows apps withOUT installing Windows).

So, my questions:
When using apps like Parallels or Crossover, are the USB ports "seen" (i.e., as "accessible" as they would be on an actual Windows laptop)?

Or, is Boot Camp the only possible solution (other than using an actual Windows laptop, which I don't have and don't want)?

simsaladimbamba
Oct 11, 2011, 10:15 AM
You can mount external storage media into Windows running in a VM, and even if not, you could copy the data from the USB flash memory thumb drive in Finder to Windows via Drag & Drop.