Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robtonic

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Northern VA
Should work fine. I just did the same thing...bought the base mini and upgraded it to 8 gigs of ram. Feels like a brand new computer! Good luck!

sranjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Should work fine. I just did the same thing...bought the base mini and upgraded it to 8 gigs of ram. Feels like a brand new computer! Good luck!

Cool thanks guys ... I should have one hell of a computer after my upgrades.

sranjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Not to derail this topic, but I bought the same SDD and CANNOT get it to work inside the Mini Server. Works fine connected externally via Firewire.. but I cannot format the drive in the chassis (bottom slot). This is the 2nd M4 I've tried.. same issue.

When you started to install the OS did you create a partition?

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
When you started to install the OS did you create a partition?

Yeah, I can't even partition if it's installed in the chassis.. it just times out after about 3-4 minutes. Works dandy in the external enclosure. Tried it with two different M4s.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I can't even partition if it's installed in the chassis.. it just times out after about 3-4 minutes. Works dandy in the external enclosure. Tried it with two different M4s.

I went with the crucial C300. If you are having a timeout when it's internal it's usually going to be a firmware issue and stalling with some ATA commands that are being sent down the channel where as in an enclosure that doesn't happen.

Good luck!

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I went with the crucial C300. If you are having a timeout when it's internal it's usually going to be a firmware issue and stalling with some ATA commands that are being sent down the channel where as in an enclosure that doesn't happen.

Good luck!

Hrmm. I am running the latest firmware (009).. so not sure what could be going on. May try the C300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.