Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Hi there,
I have just bought another Powermac G5 2.3ghz DP and I will be running Logic Pro 8. My main hard drive will be running logic and I want a second one to record audio to. I have found a OCZ 3Gbps hard drive 2.5" but I have a few questions:

1: Does the sata allow unto 3Gbps?
2: Can a 2.5" fit in the Powermac G5?

Thanks!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
2.5" SATA drives are laptop drives, 3.5" are desktop drives. They use the same interface, but the power connector will deliver more power than is required which could cause issues. You'll have a hell of a time mounting the thing too.

Just buy a 3.5" SATA drive, they much cheaper than 2.5"

Nova77

May 12, 2011
2.5" SATA drives are laptop drives, 3.5" are desktop drives. They use the same interface, but the power connector will deliver more power than is required which could cause issues. You'll have a hell of a time mounting the thing too.

I don't think there is any problem with putting 2.5" drives in a desktop, but better double check this. If you think about it, most SSDs are designed as laptop drives, yet they work in desktops. I have one in my G4 mounted with special brakets to make it fit in the 3.5" bay. Search OWC computing for that...

I just don't know why you would want to put laptop drives in a desktop. Is it to put 2X more drives? .... the biggest laptop drive is what... 300 or 500 GB at most? You can go up to 2-3 TB in a desktop. I don't understand why you would do that.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

Stop spreading BS, please...:confused:

OP:
1. up to SATA I (i.e. 150 MB/s)
2. sure, in G5 you don't need any bracket, just lay it down on the "HDD floor". SSD has no moving parts (no vibrations then) and it produces no heat, esp. in comparison with any mechanical drive

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain

But I can't find a ssd 3.5

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
the biggest laptop drive is what... 300 or 500 GB at most? You can go up to 2-3 TB in a desktop. I don't understand why you would do that.
You can get up to 1TB 2.5" SATA drives, PATA however - used in G4 notebooks? - top out at 320GB.

Stop spreading BS, please...:confused:
Thanks for the constructive comment =]

I was under the impression that due to the differences in voltage/amperage ratings (on the drives that I own, anyway) that it would be an issue; apparently not.

Nova77

May 12, 2011

If you are looking at a 2.5" SSD drive, you will not have any problems to install it. I don't own a G5, but I know there are special brackets you can put on each side of your drive to fit it in a 3.5" drive bay. Some don't even mind the trouble and put them loose. You will not find 3.5" SSDs.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There are no 3.5" SSD's, there are only 2.5" SSD's. There are brackets that you can buy cheap to mount this 2.5" SSD on the 3.5" inch bays on the powermac. That is what I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.