Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
Well hello everyone. Probobaly to most this will be a simple question, but I am new to owning a mac. I have had a PC for years, and use Mac's at school, but never owned one. Bought my iBook used last thursday.
Anyway, the question at hand is this... I have a digital camera, a compact flash card, a card reader, and my new(ish) iBook. I am shooting raw, and everytime I put the card into the reader, iPhoto opens, but because it contains .cr2 (canon raw) iPhoto doesn't know that I have pictures avalible to import.
So what I am resorting to is copying the files manually from the card to a folder I set up in the pictures folder. I am trying to maintain the file structure the camera shoots in. So for example, comming off the card, EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/144CANON/IMG_4401.cr2 - IMG_4500.cr2 and in the pictures folder, pictures/canon/144/IMG_4401.cr2 - IMG_4500.cr2.
What I am looking for is an action script, freeware, or plugin for iPhoto that will allow me to simply insert the card, have the script/freeware/iPhoto automaticly transfer files (without overrighting what is already there).

Am I asking too much?

By the way, I love my new mac.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Maybe try plugging your camara to your iB directly, bypass the reader.

I do that with my Fuji FinePix 3800, and iPhoto recognizes it with no problems...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What version of iPhoto? RAW support was not in the earlier versions. However, if what eleveneastgate suggested does not work, this is what you should do:

1) Open Image Capture, which is either in your Utilities folder or your Application folder (depending on Tiger/Panther)

2) First, IC should be able to import your RAWs without issues. Image Capture will let you export the images to the directory of your choice.

3) Second, you can use the preferences in IC to decide what program launches when you connect the card reader. If you select no program, the card should mount on the desktop as a drive. You also have the option of having Image Capture open as the default, if that's what you want.

BTW, which Canon?
BTW #2, *frown* the Fuji Finepx 3800 doesn't even shoot RAW photos, does it?

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
it's a 20d from canon, and I think that image capture wasn't recognizing the card as having pictures on it (though it did). iPhoto is the one that came with 10.3, forgive me but I am not infront of the ibook right now so I can't check the version number. I haven't tried connecting the camera directly, but that kinda goes against what I was wanting. If say I have two cards, I can start the process of transfering from one card while shooting on the other card, and not have worry about checking in every few minutes to manually transfer the files.

I will check those suggestions out and see if they work. Untill then, I am still open to suggestion.

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pdpardue, I am pretty sure that the most recent version of iPhoto does in fact read camera raw from the 10D/20D (it is specifically listed, also the 300D, which I have, works). However, if you mean that you never purchased iLife or received it pre-installed on a new computer, but received it with an upgrade copy of Panther, that version is definitely not capable of RAW. However, Panther Image Capture should be. Have you tried both Image Capture directly and iPhoto?

If you have, then, again, open Image Capture, and in the preferences, there is a menu saying what the default action is when you insert the card / reader (may need to be inserted when you do this). If you choose "no action / no program" you should be able to mount the card on the desktop. Sadly, for some reason, Canon cameras for some reason will not easily mount their flash cards on the desktop if you plug the camera in. So I don't think plugging the camera in will get you anywhere. But if you disable Image Capture from opening, I think you can access the card from Finder.

Then, even if you don't find the script, at least creating a new folder called, say, 20050505 (for today), and dragging the entire flash contents to it, should be a good start. :)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
If you have Tiger, Automator will do things you say nicely.
For now, play around with Image Capture, and consider buying iLife '05, which includes iPhoto 5, which can read and manipulate RAW from most prosumer cameras.
Go D70!

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
d70

I have a friend that has a d70, and I consider my 20d to far better and easier to use. Haven't yet even figured out how to read the display... Can't understand anything on that camera.

Canon all the way... Sorry for your unfortunate purchase.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pdpardue said:
Canon all the way... Sorry for your unfortunate purchase.

Yeah, yeah, cuz we all need another thread on that topic. :rolleyes:

More importantly, are you able to read your RAW files in now? If you fixed it, what did you have to do to get it to work? That way, when the next 10D owner comes by sadly unable to read RAW.... ;)

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
pdpardue said:
I have a friend that has a d70, and I consider my 20d to far better and easier to use.
Don't mean to get a bit off-topic, but, I'm looking to buy a new, good digital camera and am torn between the Canon 20D, Canon Rebel (the new one) and the Nikon D70. I am leaning more toward the Canon, though.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Update Iphoto to version 5 and the CR2 files will open. I have a 20D and it works fine for me.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
20d raw

well, if I could afford ilife I would get it, but I spent most of my dollars on my camera and more recently my ibook. As for reading raw, I am just using the included software, namely digital photo professional. I had a trial for cs2, and I acctually liked their "bridge" app as it cached the thumbnails, something that DPP doesn't do.

as for purchasing the camera, I haven't really had any hands on experience with the rebel, but from the short time I have, and the reviews, it is a much cheaper camera. When I was holding it Ritz camera's, I felt like I was going to break it. The one nice thing is that is lighter then the 10d or 20d. Not that I want to start a thread about canon vs nikon, but in my opinion, I really don't like the user inferface of the d70. I could simply be that I am used to canon and the 20d, and so when I go to look for something on the d70, it is in a different spot.

Personaly I can't understand the LCD readouts for the exposure... they make little sense to me. I suppose if I had the time or drive to read the manual, it might become clear. I can't say where your level is, but I generaly never read the manual untill I find something that I don't know about... then again, you might rather read the manual before taking the camera out of the box.

Other things about the d70 are button placement; not really that they aren't where they are on the canon, but that they aren't where they "should" be? For example, to change the white balance, you first have to look on the back of the camera for the button, then look on the top lcd and then scroll the front wheel i think. On the 20d, the button is right on top next to the lcd, so you don't have to rotate the body to change that. also, the d70's front wheel is in front (as in under the shutter button), where as the 20d's front wheel is on the top behind the shutter... not sure if that makes sense, internet pics can show you what i mean.

I don't know, go to your local camera store and but each one in your hand, look through the lens, play with the settings... you will find one that messes with you.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Actually, since my last post above, I've already gone and bought the new Canon EOS Rebel XT (8 megapix). In another thread here, someone posted info about a great deal for this camera at Dell. After two discounts, the camera cost only $759! It's for a limited time, so, I decided to take advantage of that great deal immediately.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
great deal

MontyZ said:
Actually, since my last post above, I've already gone and bought the new Canon EOS Rebel XT (8 megapix). In another thread here, someone posted info about a great deal for this camera at Dell. After two discounts, the camera cost only $759! It's for a limited time, so, I decided to take advantage of that great deal immediately.

Well, I think that you will be happy, it is always great to get a deal... post some pics on of these dyas and let us know what your thoughts are.

Paul

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
pdpardue said:
Well, I think that you will be happy, it is always great to get a deal... post some pics on of these dyas and let us know what your thoughts are.
Will do! It should get here by Monday, I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.