PDA

View Full Version : Best Macbook Air Copy I've seen yet

nexsta
Oct 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/11/asus-zenbooks-enter-the-ultrabook-fray-starting-at-999/

video:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/asus-ux31-vs-ux21-fight-video/

CardboardGiant
Oct 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
the 13 inch model has 1600 x 900 resolution :eek:

that's insane!

And here I'm thinking, 1440 x 900 was crazy enough on my MBA 13

nexsta
Oct 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
But they failed to build in a backlit keyboard hah!

warfed
Oct 11, 2011, 09:29 PM

that's insane!

You can get the Sony Vaio Z 13.1" in 1920x1080

Ivan P
Oct 11, 2011, 09:31 PM
But they failed to build in a backlit keyboard hah!

So? Last year's MBA was missing it too. Hah!

alan111
Oct 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
That really looks beautiful.
At least it has a black border around the LCD. That is my #1 peeve about the MacBook Air. I want the black border like the Pro!

appleguy123
Oct 11, 2011, 09:35 PM

What's the DPI on that? I can't tell if it would be wonderful or headache-inducing.

JSalig
Oct 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
I gotta admit that I'm envious of the widescreen size on the 13.3".

mrsir2009
Oct 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
That looks pretty damn good. Thin, tapered shape, not too much mess or crap on the case, full size keyboard... If I couldn't have Apple I'd get something like that for my laptop! :)

lewdvig
Oct 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
there is a whole pile coming out this week

CardboardGiant
Oct 11, 2011, 10:24 PM

On my 2010 MBP, when I watched 720p movies in 1280 x 800 resolution, it was awesome.

On my 2011 MBA, I'm watching 720p movies in 1440 x 900 resolution and it's still awesome... a bit of extra space for me to chat on Adium or check my mail.

Imagine in the future... when 13 inch MBA's have 1920 x 1080... 720p will look tiny on there.

Funkymonk
Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
not gonna lie, that is incredibly impressive.

Brandon0448
Oct 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
Looks like a beautiful machine, if it was out when I bought my MBA I probably would of gotten it instead. USB 3 would of been amazing to have.

toi
Oct 12, 2011, 07:30 AM
no backlit keyboard , no go . sucks for me not to have the backlit keyboard

for the apple lappies you get so much more laptop specific accessories case and covers wise i think.

my first mac is the 11 inch i5 air 2011 that i have now and i love it.still getting used the os but it is working out great so far.

johnhurley
Oct 12, 2011, 08:17 AM
http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/11/asus-zenbooks-enter-the-ultrabook-fray-starting-at-999/

video:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/asus-ux31-vs-ux21-fight-video/

Can you upgrade this one with more ram?

Can you change hard drives?

LordVic
Oct 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
The first decent really competitive choice to the MBA.

price is about right, though i'd like to have seen them try and undercut apple in order to really push their product.

right now, there's a very marginal discount if you go with these products, but we're talking 'a lil less of that, a lil more of this'.

a good choice for sure, but not really breaking any new barriers.

IF another company can come out with an 11" with similar specs for 899 or less, they'd have a huge hit

KPOM
Oct 12, 2011, 09:19 AM
Of the Ultrabooks I've seen so far, the ASUS UX21 and UX31 are the most impressive. They have 6Gbps SATA SSDs (vs 3Gbps in the Air), the same processor choices, and sport USB 3.0 ports (currently a bit more useful than Thunderbolt). The 13" 256GB i7 is $1449, vs $1699 for the 13" Air. Unfortunately, the 11" isn't available with a 256GB SSD, but the 128GB SSD version has a similar price advantage. Getting B&O to build the sound system is another coup, since that company is known for overpriced hardware (they tried to sell a $1200 basic GSM phone a few years back if I recall).

Undoubtedly ASUS (and Acer, who released a $899 13" Ultrabook with an SSD/HDD combo) are undercutting Apple in order to attract business. They can easily see from HP's TouchPad what happens to companies who attempt to match Apple's pricing.

That said, I don't see the Ultrabooks stealing Mac sales very much. They might stem the tide of high-end notebook buyers switching to Macs (i.e. the 5-10% of Air buyers who purchased Airs primarily to run Windows). However, it's a positive development as far as I'm concerned. I'd like an Ultrabook to be my next work PC (we're a Windows shop). It's about time ultraportables become mainstream.

Coarseman
Oct 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
Looks really good this.

Best of luck to Asus and the other competitors, strong competition would only mean my next Macbook Air will be even more insanely great!:D

spencers
Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
I smell a lawsuit

Hellhammer
Oct 12, 2011, 09:29 AM
What's the DPI on that? I can't tell if it would be wonderful or headache-inducing.

Windows handles higher resolutions much better due to resolution independence. Not an Apple hater comment, just the way it is. You can easily increase the fonts etc in order to work comfortably on high DPI screen.

KPOM
Oct 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
I smell a lawsuit

Highly unlikely. Intel is behind this, and Apple is well aware of it. The success of the MacBook Air since last year's revision was a big reason, but another reason is that Apple is the one who told Intel they needed to step up their game on ULV processors in order to retain their business. Intel agreed, but naturally needs more customers than just Apple to make it commercially viable. The better the Ultrabooks sell, the more choices Apple will have when Ivy Bridge and Haswell chips ship in the coming years.

I think even Steve Jobs said that one day all notebooks would look like the MacBook Air. That day is fast approaching.

modit
Oct 12, 2011, 09:32 AM
Imitation is the best form of flattery ;)

Winter Charm
Oct 12, 2011, 09:37 AM
I smell the death of CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Drives. :) (internal ones, at least) :D

gloss
Oct 12, 2011, 03:09 PM

that's insane!

It's just slightly wider due to a 16x9 ratio, I believe. Same vertical resolution.

redache
Oct 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
Windows handles higher resolutions much better due to resolution independence. Not an Apple hater comment, just the way it is. You can easily increase the fonts etc in order to work comfortably on high DPI screen.

Have you got evidence to back that up? I've never seen Windows be that resolution independent.

snorkelman
Oct 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
Have you got evidence to back that up? I've never seen Windows be that resolution independent.

I'd guess that below is what he means, default is 96dpi with preset option of 120dpi, though you can adjust using the ruler util (in XP that's under Display Properties, Advanced, General Tab)

Or if you dont want a system wide change of all elements you can just adjust font sizes, scroll bar widths etc with Display properties Appearance

nexsta
Oct 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
check out the battery life comparison picture techcrunch just posted!

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/prod-3-0.jpg?w=640&h=277

If the battery life is really that good, then they have something good going on there, the battery life is the only thing that don't impress me on my 11" Air...

altecXP
Oct 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
The more I read about these UltraBooks, the more I think the Air was a heavy collaboration between Apple and Intel, and Intel just let Apple be first to market with them. If you notice Intel was the first heavily promoting UltraBooks before Asus and Acer had even demo'd anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Air was an Intel idea, they pitched it to Apple and let them have the initial market for it. The timing just sounds weird that Apple releases the Air then Intel starts talking UltraBook, and then a few come out around the same time.

altecXP
Oct 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
The first decent really competitive choice to the MBA.

price is about right, though i'd like to have seen them try and undercut apple in order to really push their product.

They already do.

The Asus 11in is $1,199(Amazon), the same specs on the 11in Air is $1,349.
Both i7, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM.

Also I saw mentioned the Asus comes with a sleeve or carrying case, not sure which.

nexsta
Oct 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
Also I saw mentioned the Asus comes with a sleeve or carrying case, not sure which.

Maybe it's the one you see in the begining of this video

http://video.golem.de/mobil/5871/asus-ultrabook-ux-31-hands-on.html

altecXP
Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh, hope so that looks nice, and says ASUS on it.

Sequin
Oct 12, 2011, 10:04 PM

that's insane!

I'd definitely go for something other than a Mac if I wanted 13" then. 1440x900 is such an itty bitty screen resolution. I don't know how anyone can manage with that.

Risasi
Oct 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
The more I read about these UltraBooks, the more I think the Air was a heavy collaboration between Apple and Intel, and Intel just let Apple be first to market with them. If you notice Intel was the first heavily promoting UltraBooks before Asus and Acer had even demo'd anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Air was an Intel idea, they pitched it to Apple and let them have the initial market for it. The timing just sounds weird that Apple releases the Air then Intel starts talking UltraBook, and then a few come out around the same time.

Pretty sure it was the other way around...Apple threatened to walk out on Intel.

altecXP
Oct 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
Pretty sure it was the other way around...Apple threatened to walk out on Intel.

And go where? AMD or ARM? neither would be able to pull off the Air like Intel's chips can. If Apple walked on Intel then the Air just wouldn't exist.

A friend of mine works at Intel on the team that produced SandyBridge, then moved to the R&D and testing group to work with OEM's. From how he makes it sound Intel did most the actual engineering on the Air and Apple just designed a case for it.

Risasi
Oct 12, 2011, 11:28 PM
And go where? AMD or ARM? neither would be able to pull off the Air like Intel's chips can. If Apple walked on Intel then the Air just wouldn't exist.

A friend of mine works at Intel on the team that produced SandyBridge, then moved to the R&D and testing group to work with OEM's. From how he makes it sound Intel did most the actual engineering on the Air and Apple just designed a case for it.

I'm not saying it was smart, just what apple threatened to do. But to answer your question, they would go ARM, and still might in a few years. We will see if Haswell lives up to the hype. If Apple can't achieve 20 hour battery life on their Air by 2013 I expect them to go ARM.

And thanks for proving that Intel was a tool for Apple. The entire ultimatum was about battery and performance. Or so I've heard, and that makes sense. everyone is only now catching up, and not doing a very good job at it either.

mrsir2009
Oct 12, 2011, 11:29 PM

Image (http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/prod-3-0.jpg?w=640&h=277)

If the battery life is really that good, then they have something good going on there, the battery life is the only thing that don't impress me on my 11" Air...

A pre-unibody MacBook Pro is hardly an ultrabook... Especially since they only came in 15" and 17" sizes.

warfed
Oct 13, 2011, 09:52 AM

Image (http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/prod-3-0.jpg?w=640&h=277)

According to this site: http://tweakers.net/reviews/2333/4/asus-ux31-kloon-of-koning-scherm-en-accu.html

The MBA beat the Asus in battery test, although the Asus destroyed the Air in screen brightness... 520nits... wow.

striker33
Oct 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
That really looks beautiful.
At least it has a black border around the LCD. That is my #1 peeve about the MacBook Air. I want the black border like the Pro!

Black border looks ugly and tacky without the slab of glass over the front, but that then adds more glare, meaning the silver border wins.

Risasi
Oct 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
According to this site: http://tweakers.net/reviews/2333/4/asus-ux31-kloon-of-koning-scherm-en-accu.html

The MBA beat the Asus in battery test, although the Asus destroyed the Air in screen brightness... 520nits... wow.

Now, what would be interesting is for them to match screen brightness for screen brightness against the same screen size Air and THEN see what the battery life works out to be between the two of them...I would half expect it to be pretty much equal.

Regardless, there are now a few ultrabook choices out there if you want to run Windows only. But if you're like me and want both operating systems there is only one choice. And don't even mention hackintosh. I ran one already for a year. Updates suck. I'll pass...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they did try to match screen brightness for the battery test. My statement has been stricken, carry on...

eddieaus
Oct 13, 2011, 10:54 AM

didn't you watch the 2008 Macbook Air debut keynote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYV0P1-HVos&feature=related

in 2007, Intel made special C2D CPU that is 60% smaller exclusively for Macbook Air. Intel let Apple have such technology half year before everyone else, part of the reason Apple ditched IBM. There's no doubt Apple and Intel have special bond, Thunderbolt is another good example.

alent1234
Oct 13, 2011, 11:50 AM
this is all cool, but i'll probably just buy my wife a MBA this year. Mac's are good quality, apple support is good. way better than what you get with asus and geek squad or whoever.

why buy brand x unless it's a lot cheaper?

Patriot24
Oct 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm sure it is nice, but at this point I would have a hard time going back to Windows after using OSX.

For folks that are OK with Windows, this will be a viable option for sure. Hopefully this will push Apple to keep innovating on the Air line. Everyone wins.

johnhurley
Oct 13, 2011, 12:31 PM
this is all cool, but i'll probably just buy my wife a MBA this year. Mac's are good quality, apple support is good. way better than what you get with asus and geek squad or whoever.

why buy brand x unless it's a lot cheaper?

Toshiba for years has produced quality notebooks. Lenovo much the same. Sony ... even HP lately.

Nothing wrong though with my ( new and first apple ) mba late 2011 13 i5 256 gb samsung ssd!

NutsNGum
Oct 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'd definitely go for something other than a Mac if I wanted 13" then. 1440x900 is such an itty bitty screen resolution. I don't know how anyone can manage with that.

I'm confused. Do you mean that you find the resolution to be poor, or you find text to be too small?

3dflyboy1
Oct 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm confused. Do you mean that you find the resolution to be poor, or you find text to be too small?

I believe it was merely sarcasm. :rolleyes:

KPOM
Oct 13, 2011, 03:18 PM

ARM was the threat. Not for 2011, but in the future. Supposedly Apple gave Intel an ultimatum that if it didn't improve the power consumption of its mobile chips, it would go to someone who could. Remember, IBM's inability to deliver a low power G5 is what brought Apple to Intel in the first place. They have pulled off 2 successful processor architecture changes in the last 17 years. If anyone could do it, Apple could. There were even reports that Apple designed a MacBook Air using an A5 just to see how much work needed to be done to get OS X working, and they found that it didn't run as bad as they thought it would.

My guess is that Intel made its promises to Apple to significantly improve power management in Ivy Bridge and Haswell but concluded that Apple alone wouldn't be enough to sustain such a business. That's why they need the Ultrabooks to succeed. Right now, Apple is the main user of the ULV Core i5 and i7 chips.

meistervu
Oct 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
I'd guess that below is what he means, default is 96dpi with preset option of 120dpi, though you can adjust using the ruler util (in XP that's under Display Properties, Advanced, General Tab)

Or if you dont want a system wide change of all elements you can just adjust font sizes, scroll bar widths etc with Display properties Appearance

I has been a while since I played with Windows font DPI setting, and if I am not mistaken, not much has changed: it's not really a good solution - just a bandaid. You end up with larger text (if you go that way), but it doesn't look right because other elements that contain the text (menu, dialog box, etc.) remained the same. In many cases, the text get cut off because there is no enough room.

Ideally, resolution independence sizing should mean making sure things scale to screen physical size, so that a one-inch postage stamp appears to be one inch regardless it's viewed on a 27" or 13" display. Higher resolution screen would then serve to make sharper images and text. User then have the choice to choose different level of magnification to view the content, like one would a pdf file.

Nioxic
Oct 13, 2011, 04:46 PM
i like it

but i like the OS on my MBA.. the swipe gestures and multiples desktops really makes it easy to multitask fullscreen apps and multiple windows of the same program (like safari)

i really prefer my small MBA over my schools regular computers coz of that

and i wouldnt use a windows pc for work unless i had multimonitor option (like i do at home) i really really love it

the asus zenbook copy can't :<

It's nice they're getting in on the market.. apple should get some competition :p

accessoriesguy
Oct 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
lol on battery life comparison.

I like that they come stock with 128GB the stock 11in has 64GB for the mac version. But I would much prefer the 13in, which is what $100 more for the air copy?

Once the ivy bridge air is released I would be willing to trade my 2008 15in pro + some cash for such a machine!

something3153
Oct 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
Am I the only one not in love with the tapered design? Make the whole thing the thickness at the back. Add a few more toys, some more battery, whatever. It's just ugly.

LeandrodaFL
Oct 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
This zenbook has a multitouch trackpad incredibly similar to Apple's. Can they do that? Lawsuit coming?

If I worked at Apple, I would certainly like not to see such trackpad in competitors notebooks, as the trackpad has always been, in my opinion, one ot the game changers in Apples favor

So far the only diference between an Air and the zenbook is the lack of backlight keyboard. Having said that, a business man who may only need to turn up his notebook to show some openoffice numbers, may very well choose the zenbook over the Air. OS X is uselles in such scenario.

yegon
Oct 23, 2011, 12:14 PM
Re: resolutions, I'd much prefer 16:10 over 16:9. Much like the tv lcd mafia and their propagation of plasma myths (the latter being vastly better imo), it's a shame that you have to really seek out 16:10 screens for computing. I'm pleased Apple are sticking to it. 16:9 is only acceptable at really high res imo, like 2560x1440.

blueroom
Oct 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
Where did they hide the SD card slot?
4:35 battery life yet somehow plays HD for 7?
Why keep an ancient analog VGA out, what is it and PC manufactures that just can't let go of outdated tech?

jmcgeejr
Oct 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
Why keep an ancient analog VGA out, what is it and PC manufactures that just can't let go of outdated tech?
It's not analog vga out, it comes with the micro display to vga adapter which I think is a great idea for travelers who need to hookup their laptop to a projector.

bp1000
Oct 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
What a complete joke

No imagination, no sense of direction, what a sad state of affairs for the pc / windows industry

These should be banned. A complete rip off.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 23, 2011, 02:21 PM

Yes. I was doing it on Windows 95. It's been slightly improved since then ;)

Xikum
Oct 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
They would have a much more competitive product if it was cheaper imo. I don't see why somebody would buy it, when its pretty much the same price as a MBA.

warfed
Oct 23, 2011, 02:55 PM
They would have a much more competitive product if it was cheaper imo. I don't see why somebody would buy it, when its pretty much the same price as a MBA.

It's $200 cheaper.. not exactly same price.

----------

Re: resolutions, I'd much prefer 16:10 over 16:9. Much like the tv lcd mafia and their propagation of plasma myths (the latter being vastly better imo), it's a shame that you have to really seek out 16:10 screens for computing. I'm pleased Apple are sticking to it. 16:9 is only acceptable at really high res imo, like 2560x1440.

16x10 is nice yes, but 1600x900 will always be better than 1440x900.... Hopefully the next air will have something like 1680 x 1050

KnightWRX
Oct 23, 2011, 03:58 PM

Here you go :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464660(v=vs.85).aspx#dpi_virtualization

zap2
Oct 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
It's $200 cheaper.. not exactly same price.[COLOR="#808080"]

You can buy a MBA for 999, sure it's screen is smaller, but smaller isn't always worse. In fact I went for 11'' for the portability factor. Then when at home I use my desktop.

This is a good attempt on Asus's part, but for the price I'd rather buy a MacBook Air.

----------

It really isn't, I mean sure there are other higher resolutions, but 1440 by 900 is a step above most 13'' laptops(even Apple's own)

3bs
Oct 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wow that looks awful. I'd go with a MBA

zap2
Oct 23, 2011, 04:06 PM

Great legacy support is a positive in the eyes of others, if a business/university has older hardware or lower end hardware, VGA is often the cheapest choice.

The fact that almost every monitor works with VGA make's it impressive, even if it's isn't as technology advanced as MiniDisplayport,DVI or HDMI. I do like MDP and HDMI because they also support audio as well as looking better then other connections.

LeandrodaFL
Oct 23, 2011, 10:25 PM
I kinda like the fact that the keys are not black, but grey macthing the alluminium, and I also like the black around the screen, imitating the mbp

I think I would get this one over the Air, and then hackintosh it. But firstly I still have to see it in persson

warfed
Oct 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
You can buy a MBA for 999, sure it's screen is smaller, but smaller isn't always worse. In fact I went for 11'' for the portability factor. Then when at home I use my desktop.

The 11" Asus for $999 comes with 128GB SSD and 4GB of ram. Still $200 less than the equivalent MBA. Personally I'd still pick the MBA due to the Asus trackpad and keyboard issues... plus I kinda need OSX to develop iOS aps... but that Asus is a pretty good competitor and I'm looking forward to the next gen MBAs and Zenbooks.

fibrizo
Oct 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
I think people miss the point with these posts. I own a macbook air, because not surprisingly I want to use mac OS, along with windows occasionally. Some people like to run windows (again no comments needed about how it's worse etc etc, I already own a MBP and MBA, I'm just saying some). I gave my mom a loaded 11.6 inch MBA for her birthday and christmas, and she really uses windows only, because all her foriegn language stuff works with windows, not mac OS. She wanted a super light, tiny laptop, and the MBA was the only one that really fit (looks great too). But these ultrabooks are made for people like that. Who would want to run windows in a tiny package.

For the "Looks Awful" I would never buy it over a macbook air people, really? It looks pretty similar to me, probably because it's close to a copy, and some people might have different color scheme tastes to you, otherwise we'd still be with the old ford model T mantra, and you could buy your car in any color you like, as long as it was black.

As for "that's a copy", heck even steve jobs said that it's ok to copy/steal other good ideas. The whole keyboard we like with the chiclet keys was done by sony before apple.

I also must be the oddest macbook air/pro user... I have the 2011s for each... but I have never turned on my keyboard backlight. I usually use my computers in rooms with lighting, and I like to save battery life, as I do feel the run time is lacking on my air. Backlit keyboards are not a make it or break it for everyone.

Lastly the whole VGA adapter included thing is very nice. I've had to buy VGA adapter for my iPad, and macbooks, because in a hospital/university setting, much of the hardware is built into the rooms that you need to run your presentations in. And that stuff is old sometimes, but the key is the minimum you can always count on is VGA, especially if there is a problem and ie the room changes and the equiptment changes there at the last minute. I actually applaud them for adding the adapter, along with being jealous that it has usb 3.0, as I still don't have a single thunderbolt device...

Anyways, there's probably no reason to rag on this laptop. If you think the MBA is better and looks nicer etc... you probably like me, already own one.

3bs
Oct 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
I think people miss the point with these posts. I own a macbook air, because not surprisingly I want to use mac OS, along with windows occasionally. Some people like to run windows (again no comments needed about how it's worse etc etc, I already own a MBP and MBA, I'm just saying some). I gave my mom a loaded 11.6 inch MBA for her birthday and christmas, and she really uses windows only, because all her foriegn language stuff works with windows, not mac OS. She wanted a super light, tiny laptop, and the MBA was the only one that really fit (looks great too). But these ultrabooks are made for people like that. Who would want to run windows in a tiny package.

For the "Looks Awful" I would never buy it over a macbook air people, really? It looks pretty similar to me, probably because it's close to a copy, and some people might have different color scheme tastes to you, otherwise we'd still be with the old ford model T mantra, and you could buy your car in any color you like, as long as it was black.

As for "that's a copy", heck even steve jobs said that it's ok to copy/steal other good ideas. The whole keyboard we like with the chiclet keys was done by sony before apple.

I also must be the oddest macbook air/pro user... I have the 2011s for each... but I have never turned on my keyboard backlight. I usually use my computers in rooms with lighting, and I like to save battery life, as I do feel the run time is lacking on my air. Backlit keyboards are not a make it or break it for everyone.

Lastly the whole VGA adapter included thing is very nice. I've had to buy VGA adapter for my iPad, and macbooks, because in a hospital/university setting, much of the hardware is built into the rooms that you need to run your presentations in. And that stuff is old sometimes, but the key is the minimum you can always count on is VGA, especially if there is a problem and ie the room changes and the equiptment changes there at the last minute. I actually applaud them for adding the adapter, along with being jealous that it has usb 3.0, as I still don't have a single thunderbolt device...

Anyways, there's probably no reason to rag on this laptop. If you think the MBA is better and looks nicer etc... you probably like me, already own one.

You're right, I do already own one

davegoody
Oct 24, 2011, 10:58 AM
You're right, I do already own one

OSX and the whole user experience of a Mac is far more than the hardware.... The hardware on a typical Mac (MacBook Air included) is great, but the software is what makes it so nice to use. Until somebody hacks Lion to work on one of these (with the potential inherent instability that ensues) then it is still a Nice looking Windows Laptop, running Windows !

stylinexpat
Oct 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
I saw one locally here in Taipei today. Screen resolution is nice but screen quality is not so nice. Seems like a cheap screen was used.

akm3
Oct 24, 2011, 11:45 AM

I think Apple came up with the original Air, Intel saw something in it and proposed the ultrabook, for which the new Air was the first. I have no inside information, but it just seems right.

LordVic
Oct 24, 2011, 01:01 PM

I think this has happened a few times in Apple's timeline since switching to Intel parts.

I've noticed a few times immediately upon product release or revision, Apple comes out of the gate with new parts that nobody else has yet.

Sandybridged based "ultra books" is just the recent example
The Mac Pro's when they started using C2D Xeon's

there were a few others that escape me. but it's noticably taken competitors a couple months at least to come out with a product with the same specs and latest parts, which means for the first 2 months of most Apple products, you're getting a pretty good deal

zap2
Oct 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
The 11" Asus for $999 comes with 128GB SSD and 4GB of ram. Still $200 less than the equivalent MBA. Personally I'd still pick the MBA due to the Asus trackpad and keyboard issues... plus I kinda need OSX to develop iOS aps... but that Asus is a pretty good competitor and I'm looking forward to the next gen MBAs and Zenbooks.

But my point was I could get either computer for 999 dollars, I see your point about Asus's is better specs but if I just need a laptop for taking notes, the 64GB/2GB 11" MBA would likely be just fine, so some user might pick it for other Apple advantages.

Sure the better specs are nice, but the MBA brings other things to the table. And if you only have $999+tax you can get either one, saying the the MBA is 200 more implies to me, you need 200 more dollars to get a laptop.

I see how you're reading works, but I think ability to get a laptop for the same price means a user can pick either one based on their needs.