Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I have a friend who shoots Nikon, I don't really know much about their hardware as I have a Canon system and she asked me to recommend her a flash. She's new and is looking around $300, but I don't want her to get something that isn't descent. Any ideas which flash would be descent (even if it goes over budget) for a beginner? Or should I just tell her to save up for the top of the line flash? (Not sure which that would be).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi guys,

I have a friend who shoots Nikon, I don't really know much about their hardware as I have a Canon system and she asked me to recommend her a flash. She's new and is looking around $300, but I don't want her to get something that isn't descent. Any ideas which flash would be descent (even if it goes over budget) for a beginner? Or should I just tell her to save up for the top of the line flash? (Not sure which that would be).

SB600 if you can still find one, otherwise, SB700.

Paul

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
SB-600, Here's my reasoning:

With the proper nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries, you will get 400 to 450 flashes. On ONE set of batteries. For the money, that can't be beat. This flash, which I have two of them, paired with 2.8 glass and a Gary Fong Diffuser (Photojournalist) is one of the best products i have ever purchased. I shoot nikon. No matter what body, this flash is more than enough light to produce beautiful exposures.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thanks guys for the advice :) I will be sure to pass it on even though unfortunately in the time it took me to send her this she ordered on online but doesn't remember what she ordered 0_0.

Oh well, we'll see what she ends up with ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.