Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admwright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I have been considering getting a copy of this book. Steidl have a 'Special Edition' at a reasonable price but I have also seen a version "Looking In: Robert Frank's The Americans - Expanded Edition" by Sarah Greenough, Stuart Alexander. This has all of the original images but with additional essays, contact prints etc. The price for these are very similar so the extras of the 'looking in' version are appealing. Anyone have a recommendation for which version to get?

All the best
Andrew W.

quickbrownfox

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
England
The "Looking In" book is fascinating and recommended for all Frank aficionados but the normal Steidl version of The Americans is, IMO, the better way of appreciating the photos as a unified body of work.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The "Looking In" book is fascinating and recommended for all Frank aficionados but the normal Steidl version of The Americans is, IMO, the better way of appreciating the photos as a unified body of work.
Absolutely agree. The book's design is a part of the work. My recommendation: buy both if you can.

admwright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for the input. I think I will get the 'basic' book first then pick up a copy of the 'looking in' book.

All the best
Andrew W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.