Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Hey all, I brought my Mac Mini from ebay in the summer and it's been running perfectly.

I'm waiting on iOS 5 and noticed i need to be running Lion to get iCloud on my computer. So i was not sure if my computer would be able to run it ok, since it's not brand new.

I took a screenshot of the About This Mac bit, and hopefully that gives enough information about whether i can run it ok or not.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Screeny Shot 12 Oct 2011 16.00.08.png
    Screeny Shot 12 Oct 2011 16.00.08.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 71

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hey all, I brought my Mac Mini from ebay in the summer and it's been running perfectly.

I'm waiting on iOS 5 and noticed i need to be running Lion to get iCloud on my computer. So i was not sure if my computer would be able to run it ok, since it's not brand new.

I took a screenshot of the About This Mac bit, and hopefully that gives enough information about whether i can run it ok or not.

Thanks for any help.

Should run great. I have a similar specification on my 2008 MBP. While it is slightly faster in MHz, the overall memory and performance of the system improved when I did a clean install on this system.

You should be good to go!

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
That's great news, and at $30 - £20.99 it's a steal!

How do i go about doing a fresh install though? I assume i need to backup all my data first, such as my giant Downloads folder :p Can i simply right click the folder and choose copy, then paste to an external hard drive? Or is there an easier/better mac way to go about it all?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
When you download it, it installs as an upgrade to your existing OS--many people recommend a "clean" install, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I updated two machines to Lion when it first came out and had zero problems.

Even if not doing a clean install, backups are smart to have. The easiest way is to do a time machine backup to an external drive.

Once you have a backup done I'd suggest doing a standard install from the App Store. If for some reason you have problems, you can always wipe everything and reinstall from scratch--but the majority of users have had no need to do a clean install, so doing it is likely a major waste of time.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Before updating to Lion it's best to install all available updates via Software Update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.