PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launches Store for Text Message/Alert Tones

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/apple-launches-store-for-text-messagealert-tones/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/alerttones.jpg

Apple has launched a new store within iTunes specifically for Ringtones and Alert or text message tones. Many of the new alert tones are dialogue clips and sound effects from famous movies including Star Wars and Jaws. The most popular tone at the moment is a beep-boop-beep from R2-D2.
The iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch now includes the Tone Store -- an incredible spectrum of music ringtones and alert tones that can be assigned to any alert setting on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.Ringtones have been available for purchase for a while, but the Alert Tones are a brand new offering. For a long time, the limited selection of alert tones was a big complaint of iPhone owners, especially those with several iPhones in a single household.

Ringtones are $1.29 and alert tones are $0.99.

To get to the Tones Store, head to Settings/Sounds and select any of the tone options. Then click "Buy More Tones" at the top of that window.

Article Link: Apple Launches Store for Text Message/Alert Tones (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/apple-launches-store-for-text-messagealert-tones/)

DESNOS
Oct 12, 2011, 12:39 PM
How nice and unexpected!

Steelers7510
Oct 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
Awesomesauce.

andylyon
Oct 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
I think this is more tragic than awesome. Something so simple shouldn't require a store and cost £0.99. iTunes should have a proper way of making them for free rather than hacks..

justinfreid
Oct 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ok...will there be any free tones? Can people upload homemade ones for download? How about being able to choose any MP3 as a notification?

Maximillian
Oct 12, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'd rather find/convert my own. $1 for a 5 second sound? That's insane!

guzhogi
Oct 12, 2011, 12:43 PM
That's pretty cool. Only thing is $1.29 for a ringtone? Didn't Apple once let you create ringtones from songs on the Music Store for only $0.99? I'll admit, I may be wrong & could have hallucinated it. Hallucinating is pretty fun, you know. :p

Ori
Oct 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't be long before we can make out own I presume.

Eminemdrdre00
Oct 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
Can we create our own like we can for ringtones?

reubs
Oct 12, 2011, 12:49 PM

Can you do that? Is that still possible? I've been on Android for 2 yrs, and I don't want to mess with my wife's phone to figure it.

I'm sure for many people, though, (read: folks who don't read Mac message boards) this will be a no-brainer and easy money for Apple. There's a certain convenience that comes along with such an offering, and judging by the money people pay for virtual goods, I'm sure Apple will make LOTS of money off of these tones and alerts.

iCandii
Oct 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
For a long time, the limited selection of alert tones was a big complaint of iPhone owners, especially those with several iPhones in a single household.

#firstworldproblems

xFenixKnightx
Oct 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
So does this mean we can FINALLY have different tones for a each different app? One for Twitter and a different one for facebook? :confused::confused::confused:

illegalprelude
Oct 12, 2011, 12:54 PM
Can you do that? Is that still possible? I've been on Android for 2 yrs, and I don't want to mess with my wife's phone to figure it.

I'm sure for many people, though, (read: folks who don't read Mac message boards) this will be a no-brainer and easy money for Apple. There's a certain convenience that comes along with such an offering, and judging by the money people pay for virtual goods, I'm sure Apple will make LOTS of money off of these tones and alerts.

You've been able to do it for years on the Mac. All you need is Garageband and you can make any ringtone, from your iTunes songs. PC users, not sure about.

However, I don't know of any way that you can make text tones.

nagromme
Oct 12, 2011, 12:55 PM
I think this is more tragic than awesome. Something so simple shouldn't require a store and cost £0.99. iTunes should have a proper way of making them for free rather than hacks..

Making them would be awesome—but you can already do that for ringtones, which are what is important to me. Custom text tones would be a neat extra as well of course.

But giving them away free was never in the cards, if they’re intellectual property like Star Wars.

cosmokanga2
Oct 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
In iOS5 all your ringtones can be used as ringtones and text tones. So, you can create both now, or use your 30 second ringtones for text tones. Pretty awesome!

RyanRKips
Oct 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
It's not letting me preview any of the alert tones yet.....hopefully it will sometime today!

itcomesinwaves
Oct 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Also you can choose different sounds for:
Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

And you can use your (homemade) ringtones for any of those as well.

edit: This all works on an iPhone 3GS.

Steven.nevets
Oct 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
cash grab... unreasonable... rip-off...

I don't care about any of that, every time I get a text C-3PO tells me "We're doomed".

And that makes me happy. Worth at least 99 cents for me.

xFenixKnightx
Oct 12, 2011, 01:07 PM
FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

AWESOME! Just what I wanted to know!

mrockm01
Oct 12, 2011, 01:16 PM
It is very easy to make your own from a song
1) Choose song you want
2) Change length to the part you want (Get info-options- start time and end time). Turn up volume to +100%
3) create AAC version
4) I always add an extension to the name here so it does not interfere with another ringtone. for example change name from "song" to "song_t1" or any other number
5) Drag song to desktop
6) change extension from m4a to m4r
7) double click, it should play the text tone in the ringtone portion of iTunes

Jibbajabba
Oct 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

AWESOME! Just what I wanted to know!

FINALLY .... iPhone catching up with Nokia - at last lol ... now
give me scheduled profiles like my $2 work Nokia has and I am happy(er)

tasset
Oct 12, 2011, 01:18 PM
Yes making text tones is as simple as ringtones, that you can import directly into iTunes.
I understand paying licensing rights for Star Wars, Godfather, etc. But man I CAN'T BELIEVE how pathetically short they are! Like 2 seconds, not even a full 30!!

sotorious
Oct 12, 2011, 01:21 PM
question is can i upload a tone and make money off of it.

DrDomVonDoom
Oct 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love it when we are all looking one way and apples catches us off guard. Very nice!

samcraig
Oct 12, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry - I accidentally posted in this thread/news story from 1994 :rolleyes:

Maavrik
Oct 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
do we know what the extension for tones are. i am guessing .m4t

going to try to make my own.

Edit: nm. question has been answered. thanks!

applesith
Oct 12, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've been wanting the Jawa UTINI yell FOREVER!!! I hope they have it or will add it!

baryon
Oct 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Why pay if you can get these for free? And you can cut/edit/record them yourself…

JRoDDz
Oct 12, 2011, 02:35 PM

How do you go about doing that?

EvilShenaniganZ
Oct 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
I really miss Zedge on my old Evo now. All the tones, backgrounds, and ringtones I ever wanted for FREE...

MacToddB
Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
This has been the #1 request from users of our custom Text-to-Speech ringtone creation apps, so this is very cool!

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

jayfehr
Oct 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yes making text tones is as simple as ringtones, that you can import directly into iTunes.
I understand paying licensing rights for Star Wars, Godfather, etc. But man I CAN'T BELIEVE how pathetically short they are! Like 2 seconds, not even a full 30!!

You really want a 30 sec sounds for sms or email alerts. I think that would get old quick.

Caliber26
Oct 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
No thanks!! This is one thing Apple can't take my money with. No ma'am!

But for those of you on Windows, trying to create ringtones (which apparently can now be set as text alert tones), here's an free and easy solution. Works great:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/40177_1562718955988_1475760214_1450614_8172812_n.jpg

----------

You really want a 30 sec sounds for sms or email alerts. I think that would get old quick.

Keep in mind you can shorten the length of the file to however many seconds you want. If used as a ringtone, it'll just loop a lot faster, but as a 2-second file, it'll work great for texts.

MacToddB
Oct 12, 2011, 03:58 PM

I think the point is the price is $0.99 to $1.29, i.e. the same as a song, but the alert is short. It's not that the alert should be longer, but the price should be lower (or free if you own the song for example.)

Joe-Diver
Oct 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
What I want is unique text sounds for different contacts....rather than the same dang sound for all texts.

Toppa G's
Oct 12, 2011, 04:39 PM
What I want is unique text sounds for different contacts....rather than the same dang sound for all texts.

You can do this - each contact has the option to change the ring tone or the text tone. (Contacts -> Edit)

Joe-Diver
Oct 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks....I really miss the easy stuff sometimes....

Bigcclass09
Oct 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
i can just download the text tones i always wanted to this make so much easier

Rodimus Prime
Oct 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
so in other words. Apple charges for things that the rest of the world has been able to put on there phones (including dumb phones) for the past say 7 years?

I been installing my own ring tones (txt and ring) since oh 2004. I am not paying for something that I can easily do for free. Even double for a smart phone which it should be a true cake walk for.

InYou101
Oct 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
Nice addition.. but do they really have to charge .99 or 1.29 for a few/couple of seconds when a whole song that last a few minutes cost the same?! Makes no sense.. No sense in beeing so greedy!

fsck-y dingo
Oct 12, 2011, 06:17 PM

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

Thanks for posting this! I've got all my familar jailbroken sounds on a stock iPhone. :D

charlituna
Oct 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think this is more tragic than awesome. Something so simple shouldn't require a store and cost £0.99.

some of these tones are from copyrighted materials. thus the cost.

there are ways to make your own and sync them to your computer.

ceeekay
Oct 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
lol. Consider $0.99 a stupid tax for people willing to pay it.

Garageband has a 'Send ringtone to iTunes' menu option, so it's really just two steps to get your own tones onto the phone (hint: export, then sync).

As for 'poor' iPhone users having to deal with the same tones up until now, some people dont have directional hearing so it's actually a big problem in some cases when everyone has identical message tones. Why it's taken so long to get this 'magical' feature is a mystery.

Dionte
Oct 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Lol @ $1 for those short clips lol.

Melkorr
Oct 13, 2011, 02:29 AM

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

Excellent, although I won't know who is using an iphone anymore. When I hear the bell alert tone in a crowded room and see 5 other people check their iphones at once. :p

theBB
Oct 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
so in other words. Apple charges for things that the rest of the world has been able to put on there phones (including dumb phones) for the past say 7 years?
Nobody is stopping your from creating your own. This is just another option. Besides, just a few short years ago, ringtones for dumb phones were sold for about $3 a piece from all the major telcos. Still feeling mighty?

rowley
Oct 13, 2011, 03:05 AM
A lot of "Droid" alert tones there.

I so like the stormtrooper one - someone has a sense of humour.

R.

j2004p
Oct 13, 2011, 04:07 AM
Windows users who cant use garageband to create their own custome ring/text tones.

Try iRinger, I found it to be extremely simple and it even exports directly into iTunes.

MacToddB
Oct 13, 2011, 04:10 AM
Excellent, although I won't know who is using an iphone anymore. When I hear the bell alert tone in a crowded room and see 5 other people check their iphones at once. :p

For the best effect, hang out in an Apple store and have someone call you, using the default ringtone!

foodog
Oct 13, 2011, 06:39 AM

Don't know about you... I don;t want a 30 second tone playing when I get a text.

samcraig
Oct 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
If you get iTunes Match - Apple should provide ringtones/alerts for anything in your library for free. They're already "laundering" your music collection anyway...

Rodimus Prime
Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Don't know about you... I don;t want a 30 second tone playing when I get a text.

but that does not change the fact that 99 cents for the text tone is an even bigger rip off than the 99 cents for a ring tone and the ring tone is already a pretty big rip off.

milani
Oct 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
These ringtones and notification tones seem a bit overpriced to me...

DaWooster
Oct 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Huh. Strange.

I've got a 3rd Gen iPod Touch using iOS5

I can 'buy' Tones and Ringers from the iOS iTunes store, and they'll work as anticipated and sync to my Mac's iTunes Library.

BUT. A 18 second tone I made in Garageband and exported via "Send Ringtone to iTunes" won't sync to the iPod touch.

Any idea for a work around?

Maskusee
Oct 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
Any way to view these on iTunes on a Mac?
Seems to be draining my iPhone battery...

mac2thefuture
Apr 10, 2012, 05:03 AM
Preview isn't working. The dial spins suggesting the sample is playing and i get the small blue play triangle in the top right corner but no actual sound from speaker. Any suggestions pls.

Kilamite
Apr 10, 2012, 05:11 AM
Preview isn't working. The dial spins suggesting the sample is playing and i get the small blue play triangle in the top right corner but no actual sound from speaker. Any suggestions pls.

Tried turning it off and on again?

mac2thefuture
Apr 10, 2012, 05:21 AM
Tried turning it off and on again?

Yes sir. I even took a gamble and purchased an alert. It plays back fine but the preview won't allow sound through??