PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] iOS 5 and iPhone 3GS

kre62
Oct 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
I decided to post my experience with the GM after I saw another thread citing a bad experience with iOS5 and the 3GS.

I can say without a doubt that iOS5 runs better than 4.2.1, 4.3.X. I kept my phone on 4.1 due to choppy animations, slowdowns, etc on those software versions.

iOS5 runs perfect on the 3GS. It's very smooth, the animations are smoother than 4.0. The notification center pulls down perfectly. The folders open the smoothest I have ever seen. In general, it runs perfect.

Maybe people who have had trouble just got a bad install or something. I've had nothing but good experiences with iOS5. As usual, make sure to close down apps once in awhile since the 3GS has memory constraints.

All in all, I'd say if you are a 3GS user, you should definitely upgrade.

FSMBP
Oct 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
I decided to post my experience with the GM after I saw another thread citing a bad experience with iOS5 and the 3GS.

I can say without a doubt that iOS5 runs better than 4.2.1, 4.3.X. I kept my phone on 4.1 due to choppy animations, slowdowns, etc on those software versions.

iOS5 runs perfect on the 3GS. It's very smooth, the animations are smoother than 4.0. The notification center pulls down perfectly. The folders open the smoothest I have ever seen. In general, it runs perfect.

Maybe people who have had trouble just got a bad install or something. I've had nothing but good experiences with iOS5. As usual, make sure to close down apps once in awhile since the 3GS has memory constraints.

Thanks! I was worried after reading another thread too...

I figured it would run fine based on how Apple learned from the iPhone 3G running iOS 4 (it ran poorly & slowly - hence why Apple stopped releasing new versions of iOS 4 on it). Also, since Apple is still selling the device, they would want iOS 5 to adequately on it.

Obese Lobsters
Oct 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
Good to know. I have and will continue having a 3GS because my current plan is a steal compared to the prices that att and verizon charge. The only problem I have is that I have to wait for the jailbreak and unlock of ios5

flatlined
Oct 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
What's the battery life like?

kre62
Oct 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
So far the battery life is the same as iOS4 for me. Today its actually doing a bit better than 4. I'm really picky about how my phone runs, so I was pleasently surprised at how well iOS5 runs. Just be sure to close down apps once in awhile due to memory constraints of the 3GS.

Magsec4
Oct 10, 2011, 01:22 PM
I was getting worried with my 3GS on the iOS 5 betas, it was sooooo slow. The GM runs a lot faster though (surprisingly fast actually). It's most likely because all the debug code / debug logging from the betas is turned off/removed.

I don't know about being faster than iOS 4... But it's definitely no slower. About the same, from my experience.

Battery life improved going from iOS 5 betas to the GM. Seems identical to my iOS 4 battery life, but your mileage may vary I suppose.

jca24
Oct 10, 2011, 01:24 PM

thanks for the update!

:apple:

accessoriesguy
Oct 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
it's good to know that iOS5 is turning out to be rock solid.

I hope Lions 10.7.2 update is the same way, i was getting some choppy performance playing a flash video the other day, i even restarted, my computer has never had such problems before. it passed after about half an hour and didn't occur again, but there are still some minor bugs running around.

deellow
Oct 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
How does the 3GS handle iOS 5? Does it brick it like 4.0 did to the 3G?

snowmoon
Oct 12, 2011, 12:58 PM
iOS5 is a HUGE improvement on my 3gs over 4.3.5. I have not found anything to be worse under the new release ( updated to GM a few days ago ).

buzzcfc
Oct 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
will this slow my phone down? I'm going to get the 4s in a few weeks anyway but still have a craving to upgrade :D

dpetree
Oct 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
should work fine

FranksWildYears
Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
will this slow my phone down? I'm going to get the 4s in a few weeks anyway but still have a craving to upgrade :D

I don't have a 3GS, but I've heard from quite a few people now that it speeds it up somewhat.

AlphaVictor87
Oct 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have a 3gs and i will be honest it does run MUCH smoother than iOS 4 did.

Yah there's still hiccups once in awhile and i mean like.... it's happened once cause i was trying to do everything at once lol.

But for 99.9% of the time its faster than iOS 4

Si1en7
Oct 12, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have a 3GS and definitely say there was a nice speed bump. It's not iPhone 4 speeds, but there was a noticeable difference from 4.3.5 to 5.0. Internet browsing is faster and the overall system feels much snappier.

AIP5
Oct 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
Very happy to read this. :)
Will be upgrading later this evening.

Is iMessage available for 3GS? And what about the Photo editing thing?

AlphaVictor87
Oct 12, 2011, 03:01 PM

yes and yes

ocrts
Oct 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
Any idea if iOS5 fixes the GPS issue on 3GS?

Jett0516
Oct 12, 2011, 03:09 PM
good to hear the 3gs is faster on ios 5. Can't wait to get home and update.

tmt
Oct 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
I updated earlier tonight and it works just fine :D
I have to say it feels snappier.

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
Everything works faster on iOS 5, it seems. :)

odedia
Oct 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
I have the exact opposite experience, even after a restore:

Apps crash, things run slowly, battery life is TERRIBLE, and I can't see how to solve this.

Although I do believe it is due to one or all of the following: 2 exchange email accounts setup, iCloud and WIFI-Syncing working.

thederby
Oct 12, 2011, 09:20 PM
I have the exact opposite experience, even after a restore:

Apps crash, things run slowly, battery life is TERRIBLE, and I can't see how to solve this.

Although I do believe it is due to one or all of the following: 2 exchange email accounts setup, iCloud and WIFI-Syncing working.

wifi sync brings my 3gs to a crawl, but i expect that while it's syncing. i'm sure the 4, and definitely 4s, have enough resources to handle it adequately.

otherwise, everything works fine.

heimbachae
Oct 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
update: all good. only thing I've noticed that doesn't work is the airport utility app on both my iPad and 3GS. hopefully it'll be updated soon.

agreene24
Oct 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Even though I lost some stuff on my phone (some pics/vids, contacts, texts and some other stuff), it runs very well so far.

heimbachae
Oct 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
Even though I lost some stuff on my phone (some pics/vids, contacts, texts and some other stuff), it runs very well so far.

only thing i lost is the photos i had synced to it from my computer. all the rest of my music and pictures taken on the phone are back on right where i left them. update is running quite smoothly for me.... there's a security update that's only 198MB and it's taking over an hour to download!!!! geeze

Soulstorm
Oct 13, 2011, 02:46 AM
This is my first article about impressions on a product in 8 years of forum activity.

But I had to say it. I was really amazed when I installed iOS 5 on my 3Gs. It is actually faster than the previous one!

I din't want to move on the the next iPhone because as a developer, it really helps having the low-end machine of the supported ones to do some testing on limited memory conditions. Therefore, I would keep it even if performance was slower than iOS 4.

The performance of iOS 5 caught me by surprise. Animations are smoother, faster, and the OS just "feels" faster and more reliable.

Kudos. I would love to hear about other performance experiences on iPhone 4 and 3Gs

YaBoiD
Oct 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
thats good to hear. I have been contemplating updating my 3rd Gen iPod Touch to iOS5 but from what your saying I just might update later. Thanks!

tlstafford
Oct 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah, but so far, Siri on my 3GS has not understood one single thing I've said. I asked about the weather, since I figure Apple tested the hell out of that for the product release demo day. But instead, the phone started dialing a number. Asked Siri to remind me of something to test the integration with Reminders, and it started playing a song from iTunes. Seriously? Not one single command is recognized? Seriously?

rowanmwilliams
Oct 13, 2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but so far, Siri on my 3GS has not understood one single thing I've said. I asked about the weather, since I figure Apple tested the hell out of that for the product release demo day. But instead, the phone started dialing a number. Asked Siri to remind me of something to test the integration with Reminders, and it started playing a song from iTunes. Seriously? Not one single command is recognized? Seriously?

Haha this is one of the funniest things i have heard all day, even more so if you think voice control is Siri.

Eager Beaver
Oct 13, 2011, 09:02 AM

This might have something to do with Apple saying that Siri won't run on anything but the new 4s ;)

karlth
Oct 13, 2011, 09:04 AM

lol

Richardgm
Oct 13, 2011, 09:05 AM

I would love to know where you read/heard that Siri will be coming to the iPhone 3Gs.

Gatteau
Oct 13, 2011, 09:06 AM
My brother just installed iOS 5 on his 3GS, and it's working like never before.

youknome
Oct 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
Another 3GS user here, iOS 5 is a MASSIVE improvement from iOS 4. Definitely feels snappier, I like it a lot.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
I left my laptop running overnight and finally had iOS5 downloaded this morning for my 3GS. I'll be updating when I get home from work, so it's good to hear all these positive stories about how it runs on a 3GS. Thanks!

And tlstafford...really? I don't usually use Twitter hashtags on forums, but this calls for a #smh. :rolleyes: I sincerely hope you were just trolling.

pk7
Oct 13, 2011, 11:33 AM
iOS 5 seems to be really hit or miss on my iPhone 3GS.

Let me start out by saying that it's MUCH smoother than iOS 4. There's no more stuttering in animations such as folder opening/closing, opening/closing the multitasking tray, and launching/closing an app.

That being said, I have noticed a definite slowdown in terms of actual app start-up time. Most of my apps take a second or two longer to load than they would on iOS 4. Apps seem to have more of a delay when resuming from multitasking. However, Messages and Safari seem to have gotten faster, but that's about it for me.

My battery life is worrying me a little too. After only a little more than an hour of usage, I'm at 84% battery life whereas on iOS 4, I'd be at about 91-92% still. Maybe it's because I've been iMessaging all morning?

The upgrade method I used was: Back up iPhone on iOS 4.3.5, restore to iOS 5, restore from iOS 4.3.5 backup.

I'll give it a few more days, because I've heard that the phone has to "adapt" to the software, almost like a car's "break-in" period.

paul4339
Oct 13, 2011, 11:43 AM

haha,,, Siri says:

"I found this for you:" <brings up the Apple.com iPhone 4S pre-order page>

Si1en7
Oct 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
After having close to 24 hours to get settled in with iOS 5, I have to say....the battery is getting owned. I'm talking light to moderate use that used to get me through the day and a trip to the gym won't carry me 6 hours.

Glad I don't have to worry about this much longer. My 4S is due tomorrow. :)

CMillar
Oct 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
After having close to 24 hours to get settled in with iOS 5, I have to say....the battery is getting owned. I'm talking light to moderate use that used to get me through the day and a trip to the gym won't carry me 6 hours.

Glad I don't have to worry about this much longer. My 4S is due tomorrow. :)

Same here - my battery life is seriously sucking.

I expect there will be some settings that can be tweaked to smooth this out. I seem to recall something similar with one of the iOS 4 updates.

heimbachae
Oct 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
Same here - my battery life is seriously sucking.

I expect there will be some settings that can be tweaked to smooth this out. I seem to recall something similar with one of the iOS 4 updates.

I'm doing fine with battery. you guys are playing with your phones, THAT is what's killing it. push notifications too!

mrboult
Oct 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
Wow. My 3GS is MUCH faster and smoother than before. Feels like a new phone.

I was really thinking about getting a new phone as the slowdown of iOS 4 was starting to wear on me. But with the performance boost of iOS 5 I will probably keep it another year.

Nice One Apple.

blinkin182
Oct 13, 2011, 08:46 PM

yes and yes

I upgraded yesterday and although it took a very long time and I've had some strange things pop-up with the MobileMe to iCloud migration, everything seems to be working fine. Overall speed is good, sometimes typing seems faster as there is little lag.

I'm surprised about the photo editing! I was about to say "no, there isn't" but i've discovered it at last! nice surprise! However, I tried applying auto-enhance and then saving and the photos app crashed a couple of times.. Anyone else experience this?

My favorite feature so far: notification center for sure! however, I don't have the reflex of swiping down from menu bar quite yet! Or when unlocking, my finger goes towards "slide to unlock" instead of selecting the app notification icon. With time habits will change!

Reminders is elegant but disappointing. I know that the 3GS does not get the geolocation reminder features, but it is disappointing all the same. It feels much less as a "must have" and other reminder apps out there have similar features. It doesn't change to landscape view, strangely...

Other notable improvements:

Safari does seem faster, and the reader function is nice.
Calendar week view when turning into landscape view is a nice touch.

I hope to find a few more surprises soon, but overall a good update, giving me new pleasure in using my "old" 3GS

mkrishnan
Oct 14, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'm surprised about the photo editing! I was about to say "no, there isn't" but i've discovered it at last! nice surprise! However, I tried applying auto-enhance and then saving and the photos app crashed a couple of times.. Anyone else experience this?

I almost missed it too! I tried enhancing a couple of photos and saving them, and FWIW no crashes or issues. It could possibly be related to low memory (e.g. if you haven't rebooted recently or double tapped the home button and closed down apps in memory).

SandboxGeneral
Oct 14, 2011, 07:20 AM
Updated my 3GS yesterday and it runs nice and smooth. The only issue I have seen is the battery life has taken a big hit. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the notification center & stocks constantly updating and/or location services.

It doesn't matter much, my 4S will arrive today anyway and I can watch the battery usage on that.

BH151
Oct 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
Updated my 3GS yesterday and it runs nice and smooth. The only issue I have seen is the battery life has taken a big hit. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the notification center & stocks constantly updating and/or location services.

It doesn't matter much, my 4S will arrive today anyway and I can watch the battery usage on that.

I turned off the Time Zone thing in Location Services as it was trying to use the GPS continuoulsy and I was worried it would kill the battery. Having read up on what it does, I don't think I need it anyway. Battery life on my 3GS is fine.

Ben

jips123
Oct 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
:mad: My 3gs is now having problems with bluetooth: I can't pair it with my Ipad2 any longer (using personal hotspot). Any tips?

heimbachae
Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
:mad: My 3gs is now having problems with bluetooth: I can't pair it with my Ipad2 any longer (using personal hotspot). Any tips?

only thing id say to try is reset each device and hit renew network settings. if that doesn't work call AT&T.

^^DrAKe^^
Oct 14, 2011, 12:13 PM
So far the battery life is the same as iOS4 for me. Today its actually doing a bit better than 4. I'm really picky about how my phone runs, so I was pleasently surprised at how well iOS5 runs. Just be sure to close down apps once in awhile due to memory constraints of the 3GS.

what exactly do you mean by memory constraints??

mkrishnan
Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
what exactly do you mean by memory constraints??

The 3GS has 256MB of memory vs. the 512 in the 4/4S. iOS doesn't seem to be perfectly efficient at clearing up availability of memory after programs have been run, particularly for programs that have background functionality. A lot of people find the 3GS slows down after some use, and programs start to crash / become more unstable, and double tapping the home button and then manually closing programs that are running (or using an app that frees memory) typically resolves all this.

Maskusee
Oct 14, 2011, 12:34 PM
Another smooth iOS5 to 3Gs user.

Everything is working as described, only had one glitch with my update, all the apps were rearranged, didn't happen with my wifes update.

No biggie. Great improvement.

allanmandy
Oct 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm wondering if any of you experienced photo sending failures in iMessage on your 3GS. 'Coz while I can send out texts successfully, photos don't in mine. I tried it on my iPod touch 4G (which uses the same account), and there aren't any problems. Thanks!

deellow
Oct 19, 2011, 10:35 AM
How is iOS 5 on the 3GS after it's been in the wild for over a week now. I know there was some discussion on a few threads about iOS beta and GM on some 3GSes, but now that it's in the masses, how does it compare to 4.3.5?

pdqgp
Oct 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
How is iOS 5 on the 3GS after it's been in the wild for over a week now. I know there was some discussion on a few threads about iOS beta and GM on some 3GSes, but now that it's in the masses, how does it compare to 4.3.5?

Very smooth and much better than the previous iOS's I've used on mine. Flawless for me really.

r2shyyou
Oct 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
It runs great for me. I've seen others share that same verdict but not without some having problems.

GooMan
Oct 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
I've been running it since the 1st beta and it's fine on the 3GS.

mrboult
Oct 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
My 3gs didn't have as bad a time on iOS 4 as some people reported. It was still perfectly usable, but could often cause me to roll my eyes with very slow UI.

The result was that I feared iOS 5 would ruin my 3GS much like iOS 4 did the 3G.

Wow was I wrong! My iPhone now runs great, seems almost as fast as iOS 3 was.

I'll be more than happy to hang on to it for another year now.

deellow
Oct 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
My 3gs didn't have as bad a time on iOS 4 as some people reported. It was still perfectly usable, but could often cause me to roll my eyes with very slow UI.

The result was that I feared iOS 5 would ruin my 3GS much like iOS 4 did the 3G.

That's exactly my fear, 4.0 bricked my 3G and I don't want that to happen to my 3GS. 5.0 kinda made my iTouch 4 have UI slow downs, which causes me some concern with the 3GS. Thanks for everybody's input.

----------

Besides, I doubt Apple would let the 3GS stay on the market running iOS 5 if they weren't satisfied with its performance.

macdemon
Oct 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
runs fine on my 3gs and nice little tweaks in ios5
no problem with battery life also
:):)

kiranmk2
Oct 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
Id had a load of problems at first - freezing lock screens, jerky animations, massive amounts of lag on text entry. A few hard restarts and closing all the Safari tabs open solved the problems and now it's running smooth like butter.

The 3GS was definitely getting slower with every iOS4 update so I feared the worst for iOS5, but when Apple announced the 3GS was staying around another year I knew they wouldn't hobble it straight away.

redscull
Oct 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
I too noticed my 3GS getting slower with each iOS 4 update. But it definitely runs better now on iOS 5 than it did with the last version of iOS 4, maybe even all versions of iOS 4. I don't think it's as speedy as it used to be with iOS 3, though.

jackrv
Oct 19, 2011, 05:24 PM
As most of the people above, iOS 5 has improved my experience. Very surprised (and happy) that a newer OS runs even better on a 2-generation-old device.

polobreaka
Oct 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
like others have mentioned, it runs great. extremely smooth. i feel that it runs much better than ios4. im jailbroken with a couple of substrates/tweaks and still feels smooth.

big samm
Oct 19, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yep i saw my lil brother who have a 3gs and i was impressed how smooth it was... Not as fast than my 4 or 4S but it was smooth apple did a great job on this!

penguy
Oct 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
probably not necessary to add, but I concur...my wife's 3GS runs GREAT. For everyday use, flipping through pages of apps, checking email, etc, it is so much better to use. At times I felt that IOS 4 on the 3GS reminded me of my first generation iPhone, which was not exactly snappy. This is a joy to use now.

one anecdote...one I finished installing this on her phone, I was surprised to see it perform better than my 4 which also had iOS 5. Whatever process was tying up my phone that day has passed, and my 4 runs fine now, but I was worried/confused initially

jerrydou
Oct 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
Please help, I'm pulling my hair out with this problem.

A week after upgrading to IOS 5 (on iphone 3GS), the standard Photos App crashes. Even when i access my photos through the Camera App, it only shows previously taken photos (so, it's not storing any new photos).

I've already tried the following 1) restart iphone 2) restore iphone

Has this happened to anyone else? I basically have a phone with a non-functioning camera at this point. Thanks in advance for your help.

surfologist87
Oct 24, 2011, 11:33 AM
Good to hear. I was worried about my dad upgrading to 5 but he told me he did it and its been good so far on his 3gs.

blinkin182
Oct 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
Please help, I'm pulling my hair out with this problem.

A week after upgrading to IOS 5 (on iphone 3GS), the standard Photos App crashes. Even when i access my photos through the Camera App, it only shows previously taken photos (so, it's not storing any new photos).

I've already tried the following 1) restart iphone 2) restore iphone

Has this happened to anyone else? I basically have a phone with a non-functioning camera at this point. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've had no such problem on iOS 5 iPhone 3GS.

Some suggestions to better determine the problem:

- Try force quitting the app and restarting it

- Try another photo app from the app store (there are some free ones), see if they also don't store photos in your camera roll.

- Try taking a video to see if it has similar effect.

- Check available space on your iPhone

- Import photos into your iPhoto/photo editing software and make some room on your iPhone

Sorry for not having a rock-solid solution, but in my experience, tinkering around a bit and trying different things sometimes fixes issues unexpectedly!

Kupp
Oct 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
Got my wife a free 3GS upgrade the day before the 4S came out and upgraded to ios 5. She seems to like it fine, no complaint yet.

ohohdhreii
Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 AM
help, i updated my 3gs to ios5 and it keeps saying can not activate your iphone. I tried using ITUNES but it's still not working. does that mean i have to have my phone jailbroken? :confused:
I'm from the Philippines and i bought it thru GLOBE lines.

thanks!

JonLa
Oct 26, 2011, 01:55 AM
My 3GS was initially running great under 5 but the last few days it's become incredibly laggy - particularly in the music app (to be fair, I didn't really use it the week I upgraded to 5 - it might always have been laggy)

NVD
Oct 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
My 3GS was initially running great under 5 but the last few days it's become incredibly laggy - particularly in the music app (to be fair, I didn't really use it the week I upgraded to 5 - it might always have been laggy)

Same for me. As mentioned in another thread, music quality is really bad for some songs that were great before (and no, I have not ticked that compression box, or whatever - I have removed all the music and put it all back on, tried restored - everything; still being crap).

vjcvjcvjc
Oct 26, 2011, 09:13 AM
I like iOS5 a LOT.. its actually improved my 3gs battery life tremendously.. My phone runs on a 3G network, and lasts for over 12 hours with moderate use, which is a LOT more than 4.3.3 used to give me..

The UI is neat, clean, and smooth.. the OS seems a lot 'lighter' somehow..

Great OS, good features.. features that shudve been incorporated into iOS a long long time ago.. but all said and done, i miss my JB.. and im waiting for DevTeam to bring out an untethered jb!!

UPDATE: music quality has kinda gone down.. jarring a lot more than usual. my observation.

steveca
Oct 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
it didnt help my battery life but it is definitely way more functional... :-)

Flash SWT
Oct 26, 2011, 12:09 PM
It seems to run fine. The battery does seem to drain faster but not by a huge margin.

MultiFinder17
Oct 26, 2011, 01:16 PM
It runs wonderfully on my mothers' iPhone 3GS - she keeps commenting to me over iMessage "It's so fast!"

PlaysARobin
Oct 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
Works great here.. My 3GS is not without flaw (mute/silent switch quit working and went into stutter back an forth or not mute at all mode) but the ios5 install went great and it runs better now than it did on 4.

I'm holding onto it as long as I can before I upgrade. Money be tight.

ann713
Nov 1, 2011, 11:41 PM
Don't have a 3GS so I can't chime in, but hopefully these videos are somewhat helpful. Second link has the 3GS and 4 comparison, both running OS 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EqVGaxtok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oi9BG6wDwg

dsergienko
Nov 1, 2011, 11:49 PM
I've upgraded my 3GS to iOS 5.0 from 4.3.3 and it works just fine. Notification Center is slow compared to my new iPhone 4S (as I would expect it to be...) but aside from that, functionality is fine and have had no issues..

My 3GS is jailbroken, unlocked, and has been many times back and forth lol in case that helps (having said that I do have many Cydia apps and mods that do affect the functionality of it quite a bit).

pdqgp
Nov 1, 2011, 11:49 PM
works great. wife is running my old 3Gs on iOS5. Better than ever. other threads here on it.

Xenomorph
Nov 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
From what I've seen, the 3GS performs the same with 5.0 as it does with 4.3.x.
5.0 of course fixes lots of old 4.x bugs and adds a bunch of amazing new stuff, so if you're already at 4.3.x, I say upgrade!

bandofbrothers
Nov 2, 2011, 02:04 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere that not all ios5 additions will work on a 3GS but I may be wrong.

A couple if my friends say it has slowed down their 3GS a fraction too.

Thetonyk123
Nov 2, 2011, 06:32 AM
My friend has the iPod touch 3rd generation (pretty much the same specs) and he says it runs great.

klrobinson999
Nov 2, 2011, 07:09 AM
No problems here; performance/speed about the same as before, if that's your concern.

ronaldo0020
Nov 2, 2011, 07:16 AM
I'm going to hold off on her's until some more reports come in.

r2shyyou
Nov 2, 2011, 07:20 AM
I'm going to hold off on her's until some more reports come in.

See the following threads for more reports:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253587
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1250760
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254533

VulchR
Nov 2, 2011, 07:24 AM
iOS 'just worked' for my old 3GS, which is now being used heavily by my daughter. So far, so good....

ttttaylor
Nov 2, 2011, 01:19 PM
i did a clean install of iOS 5 on my 3GS when it was released. while i love it, i have noticed that (a) my battery life is a little less than it was on iOS 4, and (b) my phone does run a bit slower than before.

every now and then (and more often than i'd like) it'll just get a little unresponsive. apps sometimes take a long time to load, unlocking the phone doesn't always go smoothly. everything can just feel sluggish at times.

not bad enough to regret the upgrade, but definitely a reminder that i'm using an out-of-date phone.

heimbachae
Nov 3, 2011, 12:51 AM
a few times since the update my phone had trouble lasting a whole day. I blame my poor reception at my fiancÚ's parents house, but still I've been going there for some time ad never had my phone drain SO fast.

bryter
Nov 3, 2011, 10:24 AM
I am very hesitant in upgrading to ios 5. I have a 3gs new botroom jailbreaken and unlocked to an unoficial carrier. I have read tens of threads, but they all say varying things so its hard to know what the consensus is.
My biggest fears are:
- The inability to downgrade to 4.x.x in case something does not work in ios 5. Even when using tinyumbrella
- I am not quite sure about unlocking. I have a 6.15.0 baseband. Will upgrading to ios change this baseband to something that can not be unlocked? If yes, will using a custom ipsw avoid this issue?

I would appreciate your responses.

falcon7204
Nov 3, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have used my iPhone 3Gs with iOS 5 for nearly a month now. Initially, there were some issues, such as battery life taking a tremendous hit. After I turned off many of the location services, however (including location-based iAds) and turning off the "send diagnostics and usage data to Apple", battery life has returned more-or-less to normal. There are some bugs in the software, which I'll document in the bugs forum, but as far as performance, overall it's on a par with iOS 4. Having the notification center is nice, as is the reminders app. The newsstand is a pain since I don't have any subscriptions (and don't plan to get any), and it's kind of misleading since the magazine apps in the newsstand store all say "free download" but all require a monthly or annual subscription fee after downloading. Having the iCloud backup is nice, but make sure if you have two people in your family sharing an Apple ID that you get the second person their own ID before installing iOS 5; otherwise you'll both be sharing contacts, emails, and other stuff you probably don't want to be sharing.

clubracing
Nov 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
Having upgraded to ios5 on my 3GS I now find that there is a time lag when typing txt messages or running Facebook, didn't have this issue with ios4, can I regress back to ios4 ? anyone else have this problem?

WinkyMacRumors
Nov 5, 2011, 02:49 AM
Hello,

I would like to share my experience with running the iOS 5 on a iPhone 3GS.

I got a deal on the iPhone. 24 month on a subscriptions for surfing on the phone, like from AOL or Orange, depending on your country. I already had a smartphone, a Samsung Mini, but no ability to surf on it without a hotspot.

So, I got the iPhone. I checked it and it was running iOS 4.3.5. I checked first that my Mac was up to date (iTunes 10.5 and Mac OS X 10.7.2). Then I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 5 and after running it a few day, a clean restore.

It works great. Everything runs smoothly and sharing Internet on it, I.E. using it as a modem, is working great with an USB-cable.

My tip for other users running iOS 4 is do first a clean restore of your unit before you upgrade to iOS 5. That way you start clean and land clean with iOS 5.

Otherwise, a great thread! Very interesting to read :)

What did I pay for my iPhone 3GS? 0 SEK or 0 US Dollar. But then I locked myself into a subscription for 24 month so I will eventually pay 2 650 SEK or around 380 US Dollar for it. And get Internet on it, as long I have 3G service. A great deal for me. :D

Ticks
Nov 14, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm wondering if any of you experienced photo sending failures in iMessage on your 3GS. 'Coz while I can send out texts successfully, photos don't in mine. I tried it on my iPod touch 4G (which uses the same account), and there aren't any problems. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem with the 3GS after upgrading. I can send texts, but not pictures.

Xenomorph
Nov 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Something I just noticed: All the fun image editing tools are there for the 3GS! I no longer need an app to crop, resize, rotate, etc.

I am very hesitant in upgrading to ios 5. I have a 3gs new botroom jailbreaken and unlocked to an unoficial carrier. I have read tens of threads, but they all say varying things so its hard to know what the consensus is.
My biggest fears are:
- The inability to downgrade to 4.x.x in case something does not work in ios 5. Even when using tinyumbrella
- I am not quite sure about unlocking. I have a 6.15.0 baseband. Will upgrading to ios change this baseband to something that can not be unlocked? If yes, will using a custom ipsw avoid this issue?

I would appreciate your responses.

You can downgrade back to 4.x (as long as you have your 4.x SHSH blobs). The current situation is that you can't downgrade from 5.x releases to earlier 5.x releases.

If you go with 5.x, you can only install the current 5.x release. If you have 5.0.1 or 5.1 installed, you *cannot* install 5.0, but you *can* install something like 4.1, 4.2.1, or 4.3.3.
The 5.x installs do extra checks that prevent the current SHSH blob method.
The 4.x installs still work.

I have no info on unlocks, as I'm staying away from 6.15.0 (I don't want to risk losing GPS).