PDA

View Full Version : Can't move Newsstand to a folder [Merged]

RyCan3
Oct 12, 2011, 01:24 PM
Is anyone else having a problem moving newstand into a folder?

singhjeet29
Oct 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Seeing as NewStand is sort of a folder itself, and you've never been able to stack folders within one another. This is what I feared.

I don't think you can. But you should be able to remove it through the settings app, by setting up a restriction on. I remember doing that with the YouTube app before. I hope that works.

ericg301
Oct 12, 2011, 01:29 PM
cant delete it, can't folder it.

jwingfie
Oct 12, 2011, 01:29 PM
Seeing as NewStand is sort of a folder itself, and you've never been able to stack folders within one another. This is what I feared.

I don't think you can. But you should be able to remove it through the settings app, by setting up a restriction on. I remember doing that with the YouTube app before. I hope that works.

You are correct that you cannot stick newsstand into a folder.

I just checked my restrictions settings and I don't see a way to hide it either. Sorry.

grapes911
Oct 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
It's been like this during all of the beta. It's my biggest complaint about iOS 5.

fjrabon
Oct 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
I hope they eventually fix this, but I could see it taking a while and being pretty low on the priority list. Like others have said, I think it's because they set it up as just a sort of prettified 'auto-folder', so it follows the normal rules for a folder, not an app.

Pooshka
Oct 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
Why can't anyone get it?

Newsstand IS a folder. When have Apple ever let us create folders inside folders? Exactly, never!

Get over it.

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Oops, didn't see this thread and created a dupe. Thanks, grapes911.

So far this is my only complaint about iOS 5.

grapes911
Oct 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Why can't anyone get it?

Newsstand IS a folder. When have Apple ever let us create folders inside folders? Exactly, never!

Get over it.

Is Newsstand any more a folder than iBooks? Maybe I should ask that the other way. Is iBooks any less a folder than Newsstand? Honestly, I haven't really used Newsstand so I don't know how it works but I assume they are similar.

Edit: After playing with it for a bit, I now see the difference. I'm curious why Apple did it this way. I like the iBooks methods better.

dpetree
Oct 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
yea, he is right.

newsstand is like a main app that they will not let you put in a folder. The reason why is, when you click on it, the folder expands so you can see your mag's. if it was in a folder, you couldn't do that. So, you can't put it in a folder

batting1000
Oct 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
Newsstand IS a folder. You can't put folders in folders.

gyang333
Oct 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Anyone find a way to remove Newsstand? I have no intentions of using it and I can't even move it into a folder! Make it like iBooks, which is removable. This worse than bloatware you get when buying PC, at least you can remove all of that stuff.

mathcolo
Oct 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
Nope, there's nothing you can do! :(

Edit: At first I didn't believe that it wouldn't go into a folder, but wow, you're right!

EarthDawn
Oct 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Is Newsstand any more a folder than iBooks? Maybe I should ask that the other way. Is iBooks any less a folder than Newsstand? Honestly, I haven't really used Newsstand so I don't know how it works but I assume they are similar.

Edit: After playing with it for a bit, I now see the difference. I'm curious why Apple did it this way. I like the iBooks methods better.

I agree and now its annoying...

LOVE it all but that is an eyesore on my screen.

Im a minimalist and my home screen is my only screen and it is condensed and neat...

but again ill live as this update is amazing..

Superman80
Oct 12, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

As above really, I have no interest in using this app but I am unable to delete it or move it into a folder, any way around it?

Cheers

knoxtown
Oct 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
Because its already a folder?

SonicRage
Oct 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
More likely because the icon is dynamic and wouldn't play nice in a folder.

donnaw
Oct 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
I agree. I just want to hide it. I finally moved it to a blank page. Maybe they will do something about but I doubt it.

Nachoconqueso
Oct 12, 2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah thats lame

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
There were some conversations earlier in the day about this as well.

General consensus is that "it is a folder". With that said, it is still lame and probably the most complained about part of iOS other than the download issues right now.

shurcooL
Oct 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
Next update feature: hiding default Apple apps (including Newsstand).

lighthouse_man
Oct 12, 2011, 06:48 PM

It's going to be amazing.

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
Can NewsStand be put in a folder? For some reason it won't go into any folders.

jwingfie
Oct 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
No

Sky Blue
Oct 12, 2011, 07:02 PM

It is a folder.

bcbryanc
Oct 12, 2011, 07:03 PM
Its already a folder, so there fore you can't put it into another folder and it can't be delete. Kinda sucks but this has already been posted somewhere.

Search is key.

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Doesn't make sense to my simple brain but thanks for the info everyone. iBooks goes into folders, this should also. Oh well....

Raris
Oct 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
First of all ,I will have no use for newsstand, so i dont get why its part of iOS 5, they should of just made it an app, and second of all they won't allow you to put it in a folder? Can someone help me out

DollaTwentyFive
Oct 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
This is well documented. Newsstand is considered a folder itself and therefore cannot be put into a folder. Just have to move it to another screen if you don't want it.

eyeluvmyimac
Oct 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
I agree, it is stupid. Though they probably don't want you to do it because it would look like putting a folder inside a folder (which I don't think you can do).

I haven't checked, but perhaps there is an option in iTunes or in the iPhone settings to turn off newsstand?

Or there should be if there isn't...

yanki01
Oct 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
havent found an option of removing it. doubt there ever will be?

btbrossard
Oct 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
Can someone help me out
The universe implodes if you put a folder inside a folder.

Raris
Oct 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yea apple is stupid, they should of made this an app, not integrate in iOS, its useless for most people, I don't want it.

Arien157
Apple is one of the best company's out there, but can be extremely dumb. There is going to be a lot of people who don't use it, and now we have to stare at it. It's serving me no purpose.

Joe-Diver
Yeah, there's no such thing as a sub-folder.....or nested filesystems....

djr7572
Oct 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
At least allow for it to be put into a folder. Makes no sense. I hope they change this eventually.

btbrossard
Oct 12, 2011, 10:46 PM
At least allow for it to be put into a folder. Makes no sense. I hope they change this eventually.
The first thing I tried to do was put it in a folder...

A setting to make it go away would be nice, too. I don't do the magazine or newspaper thing on my iPad, so really no use for it.

I also wish when you turned off iMessage in settings that icon would go away as well. At least that can go in a folder never to be seen again.

h00ligan
Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yea apple is stupid, they should of made this an app, not integrate in iOS, its useless for most people, I don't want it.

It's amusing that you call them stupid and then say 'should of'

Still newsstand is annoying.

Jordan9
Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
I agree I don't want this app taking up screen space. I won't be using it because I already get a few magazines through the Zinio Magazine app.

myrtlebee
Oct 12, 2011, 11:33 PM
I mentioned this earlier and this is purely psychological. They want you to be so pestered with seeing the "empty" Newsstand that you eventually give in and subscribe to something. Why should users not have the option of deleting default apps they don't use?

I still haven't realized why Apple forces me to keep the Stocks app. I have no interest in stocks and would love to delete it and never look back. I can't possibly think of a benefit they would reap from that one besides constantly reminding people of how successful of a company they are. Which is great, but let me delete Stocks and newsstand already!

For those asking why we are making a big fuss over it- this is my phone, not Apple's, and if I want to delete an unused app like Newsstand there should be no questions asked.

LetMeBlastU
Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
the universe implodes if you put a folder inside a folder.

lmfao!!!

F123D
Oct 12, 2011, 11:39 PM
Can't wait for an untethered jailbreak so I can just hide the icon (along with a couple other ones..).

rsmith83
Oct 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
Ugh. The first thing I tried doing was canning Newsstand. No luck. I have an "Apple" folder for all the crap I don't use, like the Stocks app (I don't care about Stocks) and the built-in Weather app (the one from Weather Channel is the default on my home screen). That's where this was going to end up. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it.

There should be a way to disable the built-in apps that you don't use that come with iOS.

myrtlebee
Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
Why can't anyone get it?

Get over it.

Yes, but Apple has never FORCED an undeletable folder on people. All of the other undeletable Apple apps (Clock, Stocks, etc, etc) can be placed out of sight in a folder. They should have went the OPTIONAL way of iBooks. The two are practically the same thing, so they should have mirrored iBooks' functionality. I would have guessed they would it would have been logical. But, oh well.

myrtlebee
Oct 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
Ugh. The first thing I tried doing was canning Newsstand. No luck. I have an "Apple" folder for all the crap I don't use, like the Stocks app (I don't care about Stocks) and the built-in Weather app (the one from Weather Channel is the default on my home screen). That's where this was going to end up. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it.

There should be a way to disable the built-in apps that you don't use that come with iOS.

Ha! I have had the same thing for over a year - an "Apple" - labeled folder with their unused apps.

dccorona
Oct 13, 2011, 12:49 AM
I imagine they don't let you get rid of it because the whole point of it is to fundamentally change the way newspapers and magazines are delivered in iOS. If they allowed you to get rid of it, thats basically like taking those magazine apps out of the appstore for people who delete newsstand...not very ideal for developers

should be able to be hidden though, particularly since it can't be placed in a folder

dizzy130
Oct 13, 2011, 08:09 AM
If the magazines and newspapers didn't require paid subscriptions to be useful it wouldn't be so bad, or if I could choose to put my other news apps in it. But now I have this folder, which I'd have to pay to use, taking up space next to another folder which has all of my other news apps.

For the last year I've had one home screen with two rows of Apple apps, two rows of folders and the dock. I've had to change the whole thing around and go to two screens, which I HATE. And I still have to have a "news" folder. Ugh.

kas23
Oct 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
Why can't anyone get it?

Get over it.

If this is a folder, then we should be able to place apps or webapps in it, get it?

I mentioned this earlier and this is purely psychological. They want you to be so pestered with seeing the "empty" Newsstand that you eventually give in and subscribe to something.

Psychology or no psychology, I really can't imagine reading magazine subscriptions on my iPhone. On my iPad, maybe.

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
It is a folder.

and it's empty, so why is it there?

yanki01
Oct 13, 2011, 08:47 AM
sucks!

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 13, 2011, 09:08 AM

This allows one to see how many new editions there are of each news media without actually launching an app.

I don't personally use it, though.

RossMc
Oct 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
I like it on my iPad but wish there was a way to remove/hide it on iPhone as I will never use it on there. Got two things so far The Guardian (Which is free until Jan 2012) & Rio Ferdinand's 5 magazine which is also free.

turtle777
Oct 13, 2011, 10:02 AM

Seriously ?

Bother to read the thread at all ?

-t

jsh1120
Oct 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the behavior of Newsstand is the result of financial arrangements between Apple and selected publishers (e.g. Conde Naste) . Not only can you not remove the d**n folder, you cannot place anything but "approved" magazine/newspaper subscriptions in the folder. And if you happen to subscribe to a magazine/newspaper that is in the "approved" group, you cannot move it out of the Newsstand folder.

Don't expect to see the behavior change as long as Apple is making money from the arrangement. After all, Apple is all about the magical user experience and making things convenient for users...unless they can make a buck doing otherwise.

myrtlebee
Oct 13, 2011, 10:10 AM
Psychology or no psychology, I really can't imagine reading magazine subscriptions on my iPhone. On my iPad, maybe.

You're right. I don't even have an iPad. I tried a few free books in iBooks on my iPhone but it was ridiculous. I was relieved to return to a traditional book. When it's midnight and I want to relax in bed with a good book, iBooks on iPhone is a joke. I can't imagine someone reading it on a regular basis.

asleep
Oct 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Newsstand is a scam...

App store shows magazines as "free", but when you download it the app is free but the content costs $$$$. And the pricing is ridiculous.

Boo.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 13, 2011, 10:19 AM

I admit it's a bit curious having the two methods (I think that's because Apple has designed their UIs the same way, even though they behave differently).

But there are differences.

Newsstand is a folder. It simply launches apps. Newsstand apps are no different to other apps other than they have autosubscriptions and appear in that folder. So Newsstand itself isn't actually an app, it simply launches apps (some of which existed as separate apps on the score prior to iOS 5, such as New York Times).

iBooks, on the other hand, is an app that is not only the content organiser but also the reader (like iTunes is for music on the Mac). Each 'book' that you buy is not an app but rather just a document for iBooks to read. Whereas Newsstand is nothing more than an app launcher for special apps, or, as others have said, a glorified folder.

bowlerman625
Oct 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
Add me to the list of those who would like to see this one go away!

Gatteau
Oct 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
I didn't know you couldn't and I kept trying, it's definitely irritating.

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
Seriously ?

Bother to read the thread at all ?

-t

My post was from another thread that was merged into this thread, my question was from before this thread.

Please think before you bash. Just makes you come across as a .....

grapes911
Oct 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
Newsstand is a folder. It simply launches apps.

It's shows up on my multitasking bar though. It's a folder and an app. Let's call it a foldapp.

ivtecDOu
Oct 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
Why can't anyone get it?

Get over it.

you're cool

a.jfred
Oct 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
I agree that it's annoying, and I have no intention of using it. I just tossed it onto the "page" on my phone that holds all the apps I seldom/never use, so I can forget about it & not see it. :)

Macsterguy
Oct 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
10 to 1 that the publishers demanded this...

kas23
Oct 13, 2011, 01:13 PM
You're right. I don't even have an iPad. I tried a few free books in iBooks on my iPhone but it was ridiculous. I was relieved to return to a traditional book. When it's midnight and I want to relax in bed with a good book, iBooks on iPhone is a joke. I can't imagine someone reading it on a regular basis.

I read books on my iPhone on a daily basis and love it. The iPad is too big to read in bed for my tastes. That said, reading a magazine on an iPhone would horrible. Magazines contain articles that are closely connected with illustrations or pictures. So, you can't just shrink the font to get it to work well on such a small screen. To read a magazine on an iPhone, you'll likely have to keep panning around the article.

SR Steve
Oct 13, 2011, 01:41 PM
I agree that it's annoying, and I have no intention of using it. I just tossed it onto the "page" on my phone that holds all the apps I seldom/never use, so I can forget about it & not see it. :)I stuck it on an added last page all by itself.

I wouldn't have upgraded had I known this useless (to me) folder was included and not removable. One more reason to jailbreak!

black743
Oct 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
I haven't updated my iPad yet, but have a couple subscriptions. Will these show up on my iPad as well, since its on the same iTunes account? I'm guessing I'll just have to download the apps into Newstand and it will know?

orange42
Oct 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but they should at least let you put your News apps into the Newsstand folder so I can get rid of my NEWS folder.

iChaseH
Oct 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Go to create a new folder and put any two apps together. Then quickly, before the folder closes, grab Newsstand and put it in as well. It has to be a new folder created for the first time and Newsstand will NOT work if you try and access it from the folder then.

macAllen
Oct 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Apparently you can.......
How ever I can't get this to work...

http://www.cultofmac.com/123415/how-to-put-newsstand-in-a-folder-ios-tips/

Shearwater
Oct 13, 2011, 04:58 PM

............very quick on the drag!!!....lololol

macAllen
Oct 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
............very quick on the drag!!!....lololol

Haha it took me awhile... But I got it!

NOTE: if you put Newsstand in a folder, expect to NEVER use it, that is untill you remove it from the folder it's in to open it up. OTHERWISE iOS will crash.

jsh1120
Oct 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
I haven't updated my iPad yet, but have a couple subscriptions. Will these show up on my iPad as well, since its on the same iTunes account? I'm guessing I'll just have to download the apps into Newstand and it will know?

It depends on what you subscribe to. If you happen to subscribe to a magazine/newspaper that is part of the "Newsstand" "group," (e.g. New Yorker, New York Times), it will automatically be placed in Newsstand when you upgrade and you won't be able to move it.

If you subscribe to a magazine/newspaper that has not made a deal with Apple (e.g. Washington Post, USA Today), it won't go into Newsstand and you cannot put it there.

And if it's a news aggregation app, same thing. "The Daily" will be placed in Newsstand but "Flipboard" will not. Neither one can be moved.

donnaw
Oct 13, 2011, 07:33 PM
Go to create a new folder and put any two apps together. Then quickly, before the folder closes, grab Newsstand and put it in as well. It has to be a new folder created for the first time and Newsstand will NOT work if you try and access it from the folder then.

Yay! You do have to be quick but after about 5 try's I was successful. Since I never use PhotoBooth or the game center I just created a folder with those 2 and called it Junk.

I may try it some day but right now the magazine selection doesn't appeal to me at all.

Thanks for the tip.

Miss Nerdy
Oct 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
You make a folder, and while it's still forming, move it in.

Sorry if this has already been posted. :)

devyhevy
Oct 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the NOTIFICATIONS on the Newsstand app? I have downloaded two issues of two different magazines and the number 2 on the red circle on the app's icon just won't go away! And it won't go away even after READING the magazine! This is annoying... does anyone have a clue of how to fix this or is anyone else having the same issue?

lnferno
Oct 13, 2011, 10:58 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/13/how-to-hide-newsstand-icon-in-a-folder/

benmrii
Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, it acts like a folder and another Apple app that can't be deleted, which is exactly why it's two worst problems exist:

1. You can't hide it

And worse, 2. It now automatically moves to and insists on keeping the applications 'linked' to it within itself. Which means not only do I have to use it for some news applications, but I now have to go to two separate folders to get at different apps.

Big, big fail in my opinion.

bobr1952
Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
Just move it to another page. All the apps I use are in folders on the first page--other stuff on page two--including Newsstand.

Jordan9
Oct 14, 2011, 06:09 PM

I did this yesterday and it works. No more newsstand icon taking up screen space. And its mini icon doesn't show up in the folder icon.

gyang333
Oct 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
OMG thanks!

ihonda
Oct 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
impossible to do this on the 4S, there is no "lag time" to trick the folder

marcusj0015
Oct 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
Oops, didn't see this thread and created a dupe. Thanks, grapes911.

So far this is my only complaint about iOS 5.

So, they should stifle innovation because it'd be... innovation?

----------

impossible to do this on the 4S, there is no "lag time" to trick the folder

The iPhone 4S speed is really a pain in the ass! take meh back to my old slow phone! :D

Dpops
Oct 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
The newsstand 'app' should be something users can delete. If we wanted our magazines (if you even have them) put in to a folder we would use the FOLDER ABILITY. I have one magazine on my iPad, and I don't want it in a folder. I want just the app icon so I don't have to open an app to get to the app. Maybe I'm just raging, but I am super irritated by this stupid Newsstand app/folder. I want it gone.

silroc
Oct 14, 2011, 09:50 PM

It worked!!!

For every 37 arrogant annoying posts, single gems like this appear

An this is why I still come to "Internet forums"

Thank you

StPete
Oct 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
...can be moved back to an unused desktop. Out of sight out of mind.

mimbrava
Oct 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
Not only is Newsstand annoying, but it captured my NY Times app, moving it from my own News folder. When I deleted the app from Newsstand and tried to reinstall it, it went right back into the Newsstand folder.

I don't want to move it to an unused desktop because I want quick access to the NY Times. I don't want to fake it out by creating a new folder and putting it in it while the folder is generating because I'm afraid something would go wrong (I'm a coward, you see). I hope Apple reconsiders its decision to capture the Times inside Newsstand. Meanwhile:

#NewsstandFail

JAT
Oct 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Sounds like we've got a new reason for some people to jailbreak.

Thanks for the tip, Newsstand is safely lost in a folder, now. Probably revert next time there is an update, though.

jsh1120
Oct 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
Not only is Newsstand annoying, but it captured my NY Times app, moving it from my own News folder. When I deleted the app from Newsstand and tried to reinstall it, it went right back into the Newsstand folder.

I don't want to move it to an unused desktop because I want quick access to the NY Times. I don't want to fake it out by creating a new folder and putting it in it while the folder is generating because I'm afraid something would go wrong (I'm a coward, you see). I hope Apple reconsiders its decision to capture the Times inside Newsstand. Meanwhile:

#NewsstandFail

Same problem with the New Yorker. You'll be able to tell when Apple "reconsiders its decision." It will be when folks in Hell begin complaining about it getting very, very chilly.

The Newsstand is Apple's latest plan to capture revenue (30% of subscription prices) and provide an unremovable advertising space for selected periodicals. You'll notice that the current crop of "featured" periodicals includes all 30 magazines published by Conde Nast. The idea is to capture the largest publishers and then force any other publisher to follow suit in order to avoid being at a competitive disadvantage.

In short, Newsstand is the digital version of Publishers Clearing House. All it lacks (so far) is a sweepstakes.

scottish
Oct 15, 2011, 12:56 PM
Ok, have now safely popped it away in my 'unused' folder.

Would probably have used it for all my news apps if I could put them in there - it seems not though, despite one of them being a magazine you can download via newsstand.

mimbrava
Oct 15, 2011, 01:29 PM
Same problem with the New Yorker. You'll be able to tell when Apple "reconsiders its decision." It will be when folks in Hell begin complaining about it getting very, very chilly.

The Newsstand is Apple's latest plan to capture revenue (30% of subscription prices) and provide an unremovable advertising space for selected periodicals. You'll notice that the current crop of "featured" periodicals includes all 30 magazines published by Conde Nast. The idea is to capture the largest publishers and then force any other publisher to follow suit in order to avoid being at a competitive disadvantage.

In short, Newsstand is the digital version of Publishers Clearing House. All it lacks (so far) is a sweepstakes.

I don't like when I don't have control of the apps on my iPhone.

aicul
Oct 15, 2011, 06:52 PM
Why can't anyone get it?

Get over it.

"Get over it." - is overly harsh comment :confused:

Overall, we should also get over the fact that a folder cannot have more than so many apps in it at the same time. Meaning : we can only have so many subscriptions at the same time

How Apple decided to implement Newstand is their business, but for the common mortal it is an app, and should behave like an app, otherwise, in common apple standard, it should look like a folder.

alexreich
Oct 15, 2011, 07:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've gotten it in a folder. It's a bit trivial though. What you have to do is drag two icons together to create a folder, and drag and drop Newsstand on it as quick as possible. After a few tries you should be able to get it to drop in the folder. You will not be able to open it once you out it in a folder though, as it resprings the device. Also, where the icon would be, is a blank spot when the folder is closed. I will upload a photo soon. Currently on my iPhone 4.

EDIT 1: Just added the photo.

mimbrava
Oct 15, 2011, 08:38 PM

Where do you find those, jsh1120?

johnnyjibbs
Oct 16, 2011, 12:15 AM

#NewsstandFail

It's the developer's decision, not Apple's, which apps go into Newsstand. You have to build it into the app to make it appear in Newsstand. So you should take up this particular complaint with New York Times, not Apple.

ACardAttack
Oct 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
Ha! I have had the same thing for over a year - an "Apple" - labeled folder with their unused apps.

Same, once the jailbreak hits I hide all those crappy apps

jsh1120
Oct 16, 2011, 09:43 AM

I don't like when I don't have control of the apps on my iPhone.

Well, some would suggest that you get an Android device. Of course, that's just the technological equivalent of "America, Love It or Leave It."

Personally, I don't mind many of the restrictions Apple places on the UI on its devices. The rigid matrix placement of apps on the screen looks like it was designed by a 10 year old but it works well enough. Likewise, the fact that an app icon can be placed on only one screen is annoying, but it's not a killer.

I'm even willing to put up with the crippled version of multitasking that Apple has implemented on its iOS devices because I understand their strategy to provide a very consistent user experience with minimal battery drain and a very limited processor.

In this case, though, the Newsstand is not designed to simplify or improve a user's experience. It's purely and simply designed to enhance Apple revenue at the expense of the user's experience.

mimbrava
Oct 16, 2011, 11:06 AM
It's the developer's decision, not Apple's, which apps go into Newsstand. You have to build it into the app to make it appear in Newsstand. So you should take up this particular complaint with New York Times, not Apple.

Thanks, johnnyjibbs, I will, though I doubt I'll make any headway since this was apparently a new and deliberate decision.

----------

In this case, though, the Newsstand is not designed to simplify or improve a user's experience. It's purely and simply designed to enhance Apple revenue at the expense of the user's experience.

Which now makes it even more objectionable, jsh1120. But you're right: Love it or leave it, and I do love 99.9% of what the iPhone offers.

I Love Mac
Oct 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
Use fake clock up to slow down animation speeds MAKES IT SO MUCH EASIER TO PUT IN FOLDER!!! Then just speed it back up again.

daihard
Oct 17, 2011, 12:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why can't anyone get it?

Get over it.

But we can remove folders. The only reason we can't remove Newsstand is that Apple chose to not let us, just like they don't let us remove built-in apps. It is pretty stupid of Apple.

aicul
Oct 17, 2011, 12:54 AM
It is not a folder !!

It shows up in the background application list when the home button is double clicked.

It is just that apple decided to not let it enter a folder.

hspace
Oct 17, 2011, 01:21 AM
...Yep, which makes no sense.

Newsstand is fundamentally NO DIFFERENT than iBooks. Perhaps it should even have been rolled into iBooks.

ToBeFair
Oct 17, 2011, 03:51 AM
Add my voice of discontent for an unwanted, un-used piece of clutter app being forced onto my Homescreen.
A phone or tablet becomes a very personalized device and to have someone else decide for you, what will and won't be on your primary Homescreen, is a rude and arrogant action IMO.
Big thumbs down to this blatant herding of users into Apple's next content revenue stream.

myrtlebee
Oct 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
I read books on my iPhone on a daily basis and love it. The iPad is too big to read in bed for my tastes.

How is the iPad too big for bed? It's roughly the size of a hardcover book. Call me old fashioned or a dinosaur (and I know somebody here will), but I prefer the experience of a physical book.

SFC Archer
Oct 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
For those that are Jailbroke, Cydia has an app called "NoNewsIsGoodNews" that hides Newsstand until SBSettings gives us the option. Mine IS GONE:D

hostelo
Oct 18, 2011, 07:56 AM
for those who hate newsstand

create a new folder with two apps and QUICKLY drag the newsstand app to the folder while its being created and you will be able to get it in there

you wont be able to open newsstand when in the folder (error is given or something) but for those who dont use it you can hide it!!

thunderboltmac
Oct 18, 2011, 08:39 AM

Well... Newsstand is actually a folder to store all your magazine "apps", but it also acts differently as a folder because you can close the folder/app, unlike other folders.

scorchedguitar
Oct 18, 2011, 11:30 AM

create a new folder with two apps and QUICKLY drag the newsstand app to the folder while its being created and you will be able to get it in there

you wont be able to open newsstand when in the folder (error is given or something) but for those who dont use it you can hide it!!

Worked just fine for me. I even like that it's invisible from the home screen - another personal way to be creative with the icons.

ogm1er
Oct 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
GO HERE.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFLePXXSbA&feature=related

Kurfer
Oct 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
I look at newsstand as a useless item in ios5. I use my phone/pc/ipad to avoid reading newspapers/magazines. Why would I want to incorporate stale old technology into my electronics again?!

iRumored
Oct 19, 2011, 02:03 AM

There's hardly any magazines that's worth a damn on there right now.. I think in a bit of time it will be a lot better and people will actually use it.. But right now, uhh.. We already had the NYTimes app, Apple..

Luis Ortega
Oct 19, 2011, 03:38 AM
GO HERE.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFLePXXSbA&feature=related

Thanks. you've solved the problem.

daywalker2b
Oct 20, 2011, 10:33 PM
you need to jailbreak. and follow this video guide.

http://wesbos.com/hide-newsstand-icon-iphone/

Peace out :D

-Leigh-
Oct 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
Just make a new folder and drop it in. Now it's gone! :D

markus1526
Oct 21, 2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info :D:apple:

73CortinaV8
Oct 21, 2011, 07:53 PM

Nice. It took me a couple of tries. You have to move drag it the instant you release the 2nd app. Now I have Newstand in a folder called "Crap" all by itself so I don't have to look at it. Heh.

MikeFairbanks
Oct 22, 2011, 04:07 PM
Newsstand sucks.

Nothing but an eyesore on my homescreen. Poop on Apple for forcing it on us. It should be optional for those who want it.

I am not one of those people.

daihard
Oct 22, 2011, 11:20 PM
Nice. It took me a couple of tries. You have to move drag it the instant you release the 2nd app. Now I have Newstand in a folder called "Crap" all by itself so I don't have to look at it. Heh.

LOL. My Newsstand is in the "Apple" folder together with the other unused built-in apps (i.e. Compass, Stocks and Voice Memo). :)

LastOneToKnow
Oct 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
Your results may vary, but it certainly appears that nesting the Newsstand app within a folder does not result in any issues when backing up to iTunes, then having to perform a restore later on. I had to perform a restore the other day and everything appears to be busniess as usual. The Newsstand app was simply back on the home page again after the restore. First thing I did was nest it in a newly created folder. :-)

yanki01
Oct 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
LOL. My Newsstand is in the "Apple" folder together with the other unused built-in apps (i.e. Compass, Stocks and Voice Memo). :)
same, pretty much my boneyard file.

Runmaster
Oct 24, 2011, 04:20 AM
Newstand is just another burden to those who want to have freedom on the device they paid hundreds of dollars for to customize it to their own likes and prefrences which they should have a right to. Wifi is rubbish in Australia and on an iPod touch it's almost useless unless you log in alot on a wireless home network. It was bad enough with stocks and the other apps that sat there unused because of this problem but at least some of them could be shut off in the restrictions page or tucked into some backended folder that remained forever closed.

cathlabnurse
Oct 25, 2011, 10:04 PM

This worked for me!!! You sure do have to be fast!!!! But so glad to get it off the screen! :)

croc122
Oct 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
1. Pick a random app on your homescreen that isn't all ready in a folder. We'll call it "App A"

2. Put another app [App B] right next to "App A"

3. Put the Newsstand folder nearby these two apps.

4. Drag "App A" onto "App B" or vice versa to create a folder.

5. QUICKLY, drag Newsstand into the newly created folder...You have to be really fast!

I didn't discover this glitch on my own, but I tried it and it does work. The only thing is, you can't use Newsstand inside a folder. When you click on the Newsstand icon, the device will respring/reboot automatically. Luckily, it doesn't brick your iDevice!

iFreak23
Oct 26, 2011, 10:24 PM

It can be hide if your iPod/iPhone jailbroken.. There's a tweak for it in Cydia. It is called "NoNewsIsGoodNews"... There's a way to put NewsStand in a folder here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnJ6QNNgyI

AndrewDorsett
Oct 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
Simply put the Newstand App on the last page of your idevice.

Drewbster
Oct 27, 2011, 04:30 PM

It can be hide if your iPod/iPhone jailbroken.. There's a tweak for it in Cydia. It is called "NoNewsIsGoodNews"... There's a way to put NewsStand in a folder here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnJ6QNNgyI

A jailbreak is create by finding an exploit in iOS. So why can't we use this:

http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/10/13/how-to-hide-newsstand-icon-in-a-folder/

To create a jailbreak for iOS 5 and the iPhone 4S ? I read that they find exploits in PDF files.

mdntblu
Oct 29, 2011, 08:24 PM

If you drag it into a newly created folder really fast it will stay. But if you open the Newstand app it will come out of the folder.

Orionsbelt
Oct 30, 2011, 08:28 PM
I do 3d graphics and I read a lot too so this thing right here in front with all my digital subscriptions is pretty nice.

zachever
Nov 2, 2011, 03:58 PM
you can move it into a folder...you just have to do it very quickly when you create a new one. but if you try to open newsstand when its in a folder it'll crash springboard.

Tvill21
Nov 4, 2011, 09:13 PM

Is anyone having an issue removing an app from the newsstand?

cathlabnurse
Nov 5, 2011, 06:15 AM

Tyvil,

Look above at previous comments, the only way is to be very quick and slide it into a folder. I was struggling til I read this section. I was able to get it moved to a folder.

Have a blessed day.

r2shyyou
Nov 5, 2011, 06:32 AM

Are you wondering about removing a "newspaper" from the Newsstand? If so, you can just tap on whichever one you're trying to remove and hold your finger down on it and then tap on the little "x" that appears.

Is your Newsstand in a folder? If so, I don't believe you can even open it when in a folder to remove one or more "newspapers" so you may have to take it out of the folder to remove whatever you're looking to remove.

malloryjones
Nov 5, 2011, 05:28 PM
Tyvil,

Look above at previous comments, the only way is to be very quick and slide it into a folder. I was struggling til I read this section. I was able to get it moved to a folder.

Have a blessed day.

Yes, the only way is to try to "trick" the OS so it allows you to quickly move Newstand into a folder. I'm not sure why anyone needs to do this though. I for one think NS looks really beautiful on my iPhone!

codencis
Nov 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
This is just my two cents, but has anyone else noticed that Newsstand is an application-folder hybrid?

What I mean by that is when you enter multitasking, Newsstand comes up as an app that you can tap, but it will then appear as a folder.

:apple:

caroline61490
Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 PM
you can move it into a folder...you just have to do it very quickly when you create a new one. but if you try to open newsstand when its in a folder it'll crash springboard.

just got it into my random "tools" folder by doing this and I've been trying to get rid of that thing since getting iOS 5. Thank you for this!

PCKid
Nov 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
Simply put the Newstand App on the last page of your idevice.

That's the best of the lot. I found it kept taking itself out of the folder you managed to put it in

hearty14
Nov 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
Those who have upgraded to iOS 5 have probably noticed that little Newsstand icon is unable to be moved to a folder, and like all other Apple iOS apps, it can’t be deleted. Well, a little tip from The Coding Massacre has made the rounds that shows us how we can force the Newsstand app into a folder under iOS 5, thanks to a bug in iOS. The downside is that if you then try to access Newsstand, springboard will usually crash.

Due to the buggy nature of this tip, if you have any plans on using Newsstand to read magazines or newspapers on your iPhone or iPad, this is not recommended. Also, you have to be quick.

Grab any two apps and create a new folder, this is where you’ll be storing Newsstand
The moment the apps are moved to the folder and the new folder animation is activated, drag Newsstand into the folder
Assuming you were quick enough, Newsstand will now be in that folder. As previously mentioned, this can often cause unstable behavior when accessing that folder and Newsstand, so don’t be surprised if Springboard (the iOS dashboard) starts crashing afterwards.

It’s a fairly safe bet that iOS 5.1 will fix this bug and allow Newsstand to be moved around without resorting to such tricks.

Read more: http://www.techyv.com/questions/what-difference-between-merge-cell-and-split-cell#comments

shanezam203
Nov 15, 2011, 04:35 PM
If you drag it into a newly created folder really fast it will stay. But if you open the Newstand app it will come out of the folder.

Good tip thanks. any idea why my iBooks app opens and crashes or closes right away? since ios5 I cant use iBooks on my iPhone but I can on my iPad fine.

dba415
Nov 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
Newsstand has been a complete waste of space, support for it has been lackluster, the only app that is even worth reading is the nytimes app and that sucks majorly.

GeniusJon
Dec 6, 2011, 09:34 PM

Actually, if you try to open the Newstand app, the whole springboard crashes. For jailbreakers, its a great and fast way to respring. :D

jayhtee
Dec 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
Is there any news on Apple making this deletable/moveable into a folder in any iOS updates, anyone know?

daihard
Dec 16, 2011, 10:29 AM
Is there any news on Apple making this deletable/moveable into a folder in any iOS updates, anyone know?

I haven't heard anything like that. I have a feeling that Apple aren't going to do that in any foreseeable future.

I put Newsstand into a folder using the technique someone introduced in this thread, but now the crap keeps coming back out when I sync my iPhone. :(

jayhtee
Dec 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
I haven't heard anything like that. I have a feeling that Apple aren't going to do that in any foreseeable future.

I put Newsstand into a folder using the technique someone introduced in this thread, but now the crap keeps coming back out when I sync my iPhone. :(

Yes I have the same feeling.

If we hide newsstand, we hide potential sales for Apple & publishers I suppose...

sulliweb
Dec 22, 2011, 12:22 AM
Odd thing tonight, synced my iPad and iPhone, and Newsstand came out of the folder I had put it in. First time that had ever happened... Anyone else seeing this? Wondered if it was just a glitch or some change Apple made behind the scenes...

daihard
Dec 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
Odd thing tonight, synced my iPad and iPhone, and Newsstand came out of the folder I had put it in. First time that had ever happened... Anyone else seeing this? Wondered if it was just a glitch or some change Apple made behind the scenes...

See two posts above (#142). :)

sulliweb
Dec 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
See two posts above (#142). :)

Well, I guess I'm missing all kinds of stuff... Thanks for the info! Glad it isn't just me!!

Striem
Dec 23, 2011, 07:02 AM
There's a lot of nice magazines that is imba for newsstand for iPad. I like, for example, Men's fitness, ny Times, amelia and so on :)

Unit057
Dec 27, 2011, 04:33 AM

I am not sure if iBooks comes built in with new iPhones, but when I updated to iOS 5, iBooks was optional. Newsstand should be the same, downloadable from the App Store. Then once installed, the new areas in the App Store appear so users can then get magazines.

TheKnowledgeGuy
Jan 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Uh, you can jailbreak if you really want Newsstand gone or hidden or foldered...

I also heard that regular device users who have swift fingers can glitch Newsstand into a folder. Google search it or use Google's YouTube?

daihard
Jan 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Uh, you can jailbreak if you really want Newsstand gone or hidden or foldered...

I also heard that regular device users who have swift fingers can glitch Newsstand into a folder. Google search it or use Google's YouTube?

Jailbreaking is not an option for everyone. :(

As for the method you just described, it still works. However, iOS now forces the hidden Newsstand to pop back out whenever you sync your device. :mad:

motoleo
Feb 2, 2012, 09:57 PM

You don't know? It's very simple to do.

Moving Newstand in a folder using the glitch method can be done in mere seconds. I'm a master at it now.

daihard
Feb 2, 2012, 10:12 PM

You don't know? It's very simple to do.

Moving Newstand in a folder using the glitch method can be done in mere seconds. I'm a master at it now.

It's very simple to do, but I don't want to have to do it every time I sync my phone.

motoleo
Feb 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
They must have REALLY wanted people to use Newstand. Even more than they want people to buy apps or download music.

Newstand is the only app you can't put into a folder.

TheKnowledgeGuy
Feb 24, 2012, 04:22 PM
As for the method you just described, it still works. However, iOS now forces the hidden Newsstand to pop back out whenever you sync your device. :mad:

Well, you don't sync *that* often, it must not be that hard to do.

Europa13
Mar 9, 2012, 09:02 AM
Has anyone figured out a way to hide or get Newstand into a folder on 5.1? The 5.0 and 5.0.1 method of getting it into a folder doesn't work on 5.1. I'll never use it and I don't want to see it on my Springboard.
Thanks.

*Duckfeet*
Mar 9, 2012, 01:55 PM
Has anyone figured out a way to hide or get Newstand into a folder on 5.1? The 5.0 and 5.0.1 method of getting it into a folder doesn't work on 5.1. I'll never use it and I don't want to see it on my Springboard.
Thanks.

Just updated to iOS 5.1 and have the same issue. I was unable to get newstand hidden into a folder. Bummer :(

gabrielbsb
Mar 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
This is REALLY annoying.

ihonda
Mar 9, 2012, 09:46 PM
HIGHLY annoying. almost regret updating to 5.1

Mochi Hana
Mar 9, 2012, 09:50 PM
If anyone happens to find out a way to hide Newsstand please let me know. The only thing I can think of now is to toss it on the very last page of apps, then at least I rarely have to look at it.

CaptainCannabis
Mar 10, 2012, 07:21 AM
Game Center and Newsstand... the 2 biggest pieces of **** in iPhone history, and now we will have them in Mountain Lion...

dtbratt
Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Mine was already in a folder before I updated to 5.1.

Looks like I wont be moving it at all!

jimthing
Mar 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
I note this hasn't been mentioned properly yet...

DO NOT add the Newsstand app to a folder (even if pre-5.1 you can temporarily do so).

It is known to cause a host of possible technical faults on the device concerned, as iOS does not support sub-folders, and NS is essentially a special folder.

Don't take my word, please research yourself by searching around, and read about them.

Facts post-5.1 update:
(1) Even if you wanted to, you now *cannot* add the NS into another folder.
(2) This includes trying the work-around trick of dragging two apps together (as previously mentioned above).
(3) NS is a *special folder*, hence as iOS doesn't support sub-folders, Apple have closed the work-around.
(4) Pre-5.1, using (2) trick caused technical issues. Inc. syncing errors, and others you can find: Google it yourself.
(5) Yes, the NYT app has been auto-moved to be inside NS.

Other salient facts:
(6) Designed this way for easy accessibility reasons: all mags/newspapers in one place.
(7) Designed this way to promote digital forms of mag/newspaper media in the digital age.
(8) Designed this way to encourage users to *pay the content providers*: ie. papers likely to have paywalls/one-article per day access on their websites in future for non-suscribers to their app.
(9) Designed this way so Apple can get their commission too, thus encouraging device take-up (and lock-in, of course!).

Yes, it's bad if you don't want it as a folder on a home screen, but we're all gonna have to get over it or embrace it when better content arrives we may actually want to consume.

Although, the big negative here is all your content will be locked-into Apple's ecosystem.
For books/music/films, ie. more permanent media we all like to keep, this is a much worse issue (at least for those of us who care! Though music is DRM free now, films/books most certainly are not).
But for items like mags/newspapers which we generally throw-away much more readily in the physical world, as people tend not to hold onto them for long after they have been read; the thinking is most users don't care as much as they'll likely delete such content after reading.

And anyway it's a TWO WAY approach for subscribers on these:
- You pay to be a subscriber for the content providers **app**, then;
- They will also let you access ALL older content on the content providers **websites**, without any limitations.

bedifferent
Mar 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
Game Center and Newsstand... the 2 biggest pieces of **** in iPhone history, and now we will have them in Mountain Lion...

Don't forget "Ping!"

kas23
Mar 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Don't forget "Ping!"

Actually, the list of Apple missteps is actually growing long. iWork.com, Ping, the Daily, iAds, and it appears iTunes Match will make it on there too. You'll see in 5 years, iTunes Match will be nothing like it is now. A few days ago I tried to turn off ITM on my iPhone. Big problems.

prostuff1
Mar 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
I unfortunately updated to 5.1 and Newstand came back. Its not so much that I do not want it on the device as it is that I do not want it on my main page.

I have a folder of rarely used but sometimes useful apps. Newstand was in there.

I would prefer if Apple would just let us remove even there apps, if we so choose. Delete them from the device but don't allow us to delete them from our Mac/Windows machines.

Milkman's Son
Mar 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
actually, the list of apple missteps is actually growing long. Iwork.com, ping, the daily, iads, and it appears itunes match will make it on there too. You'll see in 5 years, itunes match will be nothing like it is now. A few days ago i tried to turn off itm on my iphone. Big problems.

damn straight you are wrong. When it comes to problems with apple products, without fail, it is the end-user who is either wrong or has failed to adapt.

kas23
Mar 17, 2012, 06:16 PM

Nice try. That second statement was actually said dripping with thick globs of sarcasm. If you want to stalk, at least do so with an ounce of intelligence.