Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
g3oTr.jpg

Forza Motorsport 4: Photo Mode Thread

Forza Motorsport 4 was released yesterday, and as with previous titles in the series, it brings with it a very nice photo mode. The options are a little more thorough this time, and even easier to use.

A welcome change from previous games this time is the ability to take shots in 2 sizes; Standard versions (1280x720) and "Bigshot" versions (3840x2160). The new "Bigshot" versions are great, as they are saved as a super high-res bitmap, showing a lot of great detail. The downside to them is, do to their ~20MB filesizes, you can only have one stored at a time on your ForzaMotorsport.net fileshare.

Also new this time, in addition to being able to take pics at any time when racing, you now have 6 specific "Home Spaces" where you can view and explore the cars, and take great pictures in. Two of these, in particular, are great fun for fans of the show Top Gear, as the Test Track and the Studio Set are available for great shots.

----------
Previously...

Forza Motorsport 3: Photo Mode Thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/812352/
----------

Anyway, here are my first few shots. The game just came out yesterday, and I spent most of my time racing and getting started with Career Mode, so I don't have too many pics yet. Feel free to add your own if you'd like. Also, if anyone has any request, either of a specific car, track or combination there of, let me know.

----------

Click pics to HUGE-size

BMW Z4 GT3 - Indianapolis GP Track (Morning)
HdJGL.jpg

Aston Martin DBR9 - Top Gear Studio (Home Space)
ZKw62.jpg

Corvette ZR1 - Warehouse (Homespace)
G730J.jpg

mikifiki

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Cool idea! I'm going to post some pics this weekend.

I love the game, your opinion???

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Cool idea! I'm going to post some pics this weekend.

I love the game, your opinion???
Yea, I really enjoyed the Photo Mode in Forza 3, so I made the Photo Mode thread for it here a couple years ago when it released. I thought I'd make a similar one for 4. Picture quality is great this time around, especially the "Bigshots", so pics are great looking. Should make for a fun thread once people get around to posting pics.

As for the game, I like it so far. The AI, as usual, is pretty crap, but everything else is improved quite nicely from 3. I like all of the new options for handling modes. I didn't think I would enjoy Autovista mode, but I'm really impressed with it. I just wish Autovista mode had more cars. Overall though, I see myself playing this game A LOT in the coming months/years. I love cars, and this game is just a big love-fest for the automotive world.

mikifiki

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
I found this game to feel more realistic than 3 and the graphics are much improved. I'm getting a fanatech wheel in the next month or so. The new forza 4 one the regular edition not the elite.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
No Porsche... :(
I know. BIG sadface on that one. They are my favorite manufacturer, so I was really grumpy hearing that they weren't in.

I found this game to feel more realistic than 3 and the graphics are much improved. I'm getting a fanatech wheel in the next month or so. The new forza 4 one the regular edition not the elite.
I really need to get around to getting a wheel one of these days. Fanatec do make some great ones.

Anyway, now that I'm home from work, here are a few pics. These aren't mine, just some that I saw on a gaming forum I frequent. I'm going to play a bit later, and I'll probably post a couple more of my own.

----------

Click pics to HUGE-size

Shelby Daytona Coupe - Laguna Seca
bjSZr.jpg

BMW M5 (E39) - Indianapolis GP
eJEg6.jpg

Datsun 510 - Top Gear Track (Home Space)
ygYYY.jpg

Audi R8 - Mountain Pass (Home Space)
hXC2K.jpg

Ferrari F50 - Hanger (Home Space)
YT6Dz.jpg

TVR Sagaris - Spotlight (Home Space)
0zX28.jpg

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Not my shots, but some more great ones to share....

----------

Click pics to HUGE-size

Lexus LFA - Hangar (Home Space)
zzRhT.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette - Sebring
Cmyfa.jpg

Nissan GTR - Fujimi Kaido
8LLTl.jpg

Ferrari F430 Scuderia - Top Gear Studio (Home Space)
k6HCY.jpg

Ferrari F430 Scuderia - Sebring
nVuJS.jpg

Ferrari F430 Scuderia - Maple Valley
6utvS.jpg

Various JDM - Tsukuba Circuit
6cvtA.jpg

Ferrari 458 & Corvette ZR1 - Bernese Alps
xWgKo.jpg

1931 Bentley 8 Litre - Hangar (Home Space)
EyAsR.jpg

Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R - Bernese Alps
NyLqN.jpg

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I can't believe they have the Hummer H1 in the game.

Taking it around the Top Gear test track.....

GetPhoto.ashx

mikifiki

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
I'm currently taking the pics right now, tomorrow i'll have some posted. I have a question to everybody that plays this game. "Do you use a steering wheel, if so which one?"
I'm currently running the good ol' Microsoft Force Feedback Xbox 360 wheel. Bought it used a week or so ago. WORTH IT!!! :apple:

iApache

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
^ I use the controller, I wish I had $ for a wheel.

DBS
ytiLuh.jpg

E63 AMG
dyvish.jpg

F10 M5 - fully modded on the ring in a challenge, taking off from the start point.
DidSW.jpg

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
I want a Suzuki Liana, a Chevy Lacetti and a Kia C'eed. Driving them around at the Top Gear Test Track would be awesome.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I want a Suzuki Liana, a Chevy Lacetti and a Kia C'eed. Driving them around at the Top Gear Test Track would be awesome.
There is an achievement for doing a lap in the Cee'd at the track, appropriately called "Star In A Reasonably Priced Car". :D

----------

Here are some more random pics....

Click pics to HUGE-size

Impreza STi - Suzuka
tLAga.jpg

RX-7 Spirit A - Mountain Pass (Home Space)
r5bW4.jpg

Ford Mustang Cobra - Road Atlanta
ULh27.jpg

Alfa Romeo 8C - Spotlight (Home Space)
sdlFm.jpg

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
Are these real life pictures :D? Heh, game looks absolutely fantastic.. Does it look so good on xbox too, or the downscaling just makes it look good?

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Are these real life pictures :D? Heh, game looks absolutely fantastic.. Does it look so good on xbox too, or the downscaling just makes it look good?
All the cars in the game have varying levels of detail, depending on how close you are to them. When you go into "Photo Mode", the game automatically switches to the High detail mode. So no, the game doesn't ALWAYS look that detailed, though it does look pretty amazing when racing.

deathbyart

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Trans Am

It's fun on the 1/4 even without a tune.

Attachments

• 6248033617_52a6f42272_z.jpg
    6248033617_52a6f42272_z.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 362

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Here are the vehicles I am currently driving.

2012 BMW M5.

GetPhoto.ashx

2010 Chevy Camaro

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Those are some nice images! Looks great.

Anyone have any pictures of the HSV W427 that I heard is in this game? I've seen a few of them in real life and wonder how it looks in the game. :)

iApache: All that DBS needs is 007 at the wheel, bullet holes, scratches and missing door and the scene might pass for the opening of Quantum of Solace. :)

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
It's fun on the 1/4 even without a tune.

Did they fix the drag racing? IE have a light tree? Also is there bracket racing?

Also, does qualifying in game finally exist? What about AWD/4wd swaps in cars that really aren't possible? What about class based racing like V8 supercars online? All the reviews online skip talking about what a racer concerned with rules wants to hear... I got sick of previous Forzas because no one raced real race cars with all aids forcibly turned off in lobbies...especially with the godforsaken Forza 3 hoppers.... What about endurance racing online. I hate sprints. I like to prove I can be consistent over 50+ laps....with pit stops... Seriously peeved that none of the online reviews didn't touch on the important stuff...

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
{questions}
Drag racing still sucks. Qualifying doesn't exist. AWD swaps are still available for some cars, many of which shouldn't have it.

As for online races, it is still much like it was in F3. You can set up lobbies, and set specific rules and force certain aids on/off, but getting good races is still hard. The first corner demo-derby is still very hard to miss. If you get a good group of friends, though, setting up specific vehicle/class/event races is easy, and very fun.

Anyone have any pictures of the HSV W427 that I heard is in this game? I've seen a few of them in real life and wonder how it looks in the game. :)
As requested....

Click pics to HUGE-size

Holden HSV w427 - Camino Viejo
w427-1ssn7i9.png

w427-2ss47w1.png

----------

Here are the rest of my shots for tonight. The Bentley is quite awesome to shoot pics of. It just looks awesome from so many angles...

Click pics to HUGE-size

Bentley Continental SS - Rally Di Positano
contiss-1ss37g4.png

Bentley Continental SS - Rally Di Positano
contiss-2ssvuwb.png

Bentley Continental SS - Nürburgring Nordschleife
contiss-3ss6jfh.png

Bentley Continental SS - Nürburgring Nordschleife
contiss-4sswb4n.png

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Click pics to HUGE-size

w427-1ssn7i9.png

w427-2ss47w1.png

Fantastic! It looks just like the real thing. 7 litres of V8 fury! :cool: It'd be great to have one in real life. Unfortunately they are much too expensive, and very rare. Very fast too.

As for online races, it is still much like it was in F3. You can set up lobbies, and set specific rules and force certain aids on/off, but getting good races is still hard. The first corner demo-derby is still very hard to miss. If you get a good group of friends, though, setting up specific vehicle/class/event races is easy, and very fun.

I used to do racing in rFactor sim on PC using the 1970 World Sports Cars and the 1979 Grand Prix cars, and it was much the same in online racing.

Even if you qualified first (which I never did, I didn't have the feel for those brutal ground-effect F1 cars), you were likely to get punted off at the first corner, especially Kyalami and Rouen with its huge sweeping downhill sections.

And the 1970 WSC cars, I never bothered to qualify that fast, as I used Salzburg-Porsche 917L #25 with a 4.9L 600hp engine. By the time I got to the Mulsanne straight, if I was 4th or 5th place, I could pass everyone and reach 386km/h in 5th gear! :D It was like it had afterburners, it was so fast down the straight, at least 30km/h faster, but the handling was interesting... It didn't take kindly to sudden changes of cornering line. A smooth touch was necessary, no throwing it about. The only other 917L was the Martini car, but it only had 4.5L engine, so it wasn't as fast. I could lap at over 150mph average speed at Le Mans! :eek: But it was hard to do that speed consistently. And the other non-917 cars? Bye-bye, go home! ;)

Never had too many worries with brakes either, as the stability was terrible under brakes, it'd weave from one side of the track to the other - so you'd use them easier. Oh, that was good fun. I did a lot of research on the 917 and got a lot of data that the teams used in those days, translated their setup data onto the simulated 917 and got good results through that.

I could win a lot of races just by driving steady, not so fast. Maybe the Niki Lauda trick - "do yourself a favour and don't you break a wing, don't you do any silly mistakes". And sure enough, the other cars spin, crash, break down and I could win the race! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.