PDA

View Full Version : Send Real Greeting Cards With Apple's New Cards App

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/send-real-greeting-cards-with-apples-new-cards-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/cardsiphone.jpg

Apple's newest app, Cards (http://www.apple.com/iphone/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/cards.html), was announced last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apples-new-cards-iphone-app-sends-real-holiday-cards/) during the iPhone 4S keynote, and finally went live (http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/cards-5) today.

Cards is an iOS version of the greeting card-maker built-in to iPhoto, but with a twist -- instead of printing and shipping cards to the user, who then has to buy stamps, address and mail the cards -- Apple takes care of printing, mailing, and postage and sends the card directly to the recipient, with a push notification going to the senders iPhone upon delivery.
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted cards personalized with your own text and photos -- right from your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and swipes, an elegant letterpress card is on its way to any address in the world. Each card is just $2.99 when sent within the U.S. and $4.99 when sent to or from anywhere else. And that includes postage.The Cards app (http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/cards-5) is free on the App Store for iPhone. [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cards/id464957209?&mt=8)]

Article Link: Send Real Greeting Cards With Apple's New Cards App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/send-real-greeting-cards-with-apples-new-cards-app/)

Twizz91
Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
it's yay day!

Wilson1313
Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
And another sweet launch by Apple!! There servers will be toast after today ;)

Defender2010
Oct 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
It is not a universal app... :(

Laird Knox
Oct 12, 2011, 02:09 PM

Not only that but it flat out won't install on the iPad. :(

EDIT: Seems to be an iOS issue not a device issue. Error message was misleading. ;)

BMcCoy
Oct 12, 2011, 02:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it in the UK?

coolaaron88
Oct 12, 2011, 02:21 PM
From the Apple Website

"Cards requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2."

kirky29
Oct 12, 2011, 02:27 PM
Certainly going to be an app I use a fair bit.
Just making the first card for my G'dads Birthday next week :)

zin
Oct 12, 2011, 02:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it in the UK?

Certainly is. 3.99 to send a card anywhere in the world, too. More expensive than US Domestic, but in-line with US world-wide prices, though.
_______

I have relatives in Australia; 3.99 seems quite a nice all-in-one cost for the card and delivery. :D

justinfreid
Oct 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
So Apple's released 4 new iOS apps today alongside iOS 5.
I bet a lot of iCards will be sent to 1 Infinite Loop as condolences for Steve Jobs' passing.
---
I just tried to install the app and realized it requires iOS 5.
I suppose it's possible that this uses an API that's only supported by the new OS, but otherwise there's a PLIST string that ought to be changed.

scottishwildcat
Oct 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
Touchnote app has been doing this for a while on iOS and Android, and their postcards are cheaper to send. Just sayin'...

LordJohnWhorfin
Oct 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
There are already at least two companies who offer the same service for much less: Touchnote ($1.49 anywhere in the world) and Postagram ($0.99)
The apps are of course free (iPhone and Android).

NameUndecided
Oct 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
Take that, store-bought, empty-gesture, lamely-written, $6 greeting cards!

nsayer
Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
Meh. All it does is hang and then finally crash when I try to send a card.

Not impressed.

EDIT: After 5 tries, it finally started down the purchasing route, but fails now because I use paypal as my payment method, and it's asking me for a CVV, which is entirely not applicable.

QuarterSwede
Oct 12, 2011, 03:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Three thoughts:

A. Greeting Card companies that charge an outrageous fee for their cards (Hallmark, American Greetings, etc.) are going to lose some business.

2. To respond they will come up with their own apps.

D. In typical Apple style this app is beautifully designed and animation heavy (iOS 5 only API's?). There are far more cards than I thought would be available and they all look fantastic. It's very easy to add pictures and edit text and move from inside, outside and envelope views. Also, the cards are letter pressed so it isn't just printed card stock. Very slick.

lazyrighteye
Oct 12, 2011, 03:03 PM
And another sweet launch by Apple!! There servers will be toast after today ;)

And just wait until this eve when most working Americans get home to update their Macs, iDevices and Apple TVs. Ohman...

I can't recall Apple releasing more in one day than today.
Fun day for the consumer. :D

haydn!
Oct 12, 2011, 03:10 PM
This is a fantastic little App from Apple!

The card templates included are stunning, but all so serious! It is just crying out for the moon-pig treatment! Adding card styles that resemble movie posters, magazine and newspaper covers etc.

mattpreston11
Oct 12, 2011, 03:13 PM
3.99 from the UK, poor.I wouldn't ever spend that on a card.

Although tbf, I usually get iTunes credit on the cheap. So maybe?

bigrash
Oct 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
There are already at least two companies who offer the same service for much less: Touchnote ($1.49 anywhere in the world) and Postagram ($0.99)
The apps are of course free (iPhone and Android).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think touchnote and postagram only sends postcards. Apple Cards app sends an actual folded card in an envelope.

dgalvan123
Oct 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
Ha! This morning my wife grabbed her iphone as soon as she woke up to see if this Cards app was live yet. Out of all the things that were getting released today, I had actually forgotten about this one, but it's the only one she cared about.

Pretty decent deal, considering a greeting card bought at a store can cost anywhere from $1 - $6, plus postage. The convenience alone is a selling point.

Down side is that you might not have the right photos on your iphone/ipad, though, which would require an inconvenient synch.

jamesarm97
Oct 12, 2011, 03:35 PM

Exactly, why the heck did Apple release an iPhone only designed app? The first thing I did was pull out my iPad after trying it on the iPhone to see how nice an beautiful it would look only to be greeted with the small iPhone sized screen. It still looks ok in the 2x mode, just wondering about the lack of universal support directly from Apple.

garylapointe
Oct 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
The app was dated the 9th, I saw it earlier and I was wondering how I missed it. They must have uploaded it but not turned it on until today...

Gary

Caliber26
Oct 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
This looks pretty cool. Although, I can't really think of many people who I would mail a card to. All my family lives within miles of me and most my friends out of town are the kind of people I can easily appease with a "Happy Birthday" comment on Facebook.

Maybe one of my alter personalities will surprise me with one in the mail, one of these days. :p

G4DP
Oct 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
Take that, store-bought, empty-gesture, lamely-written, $6 greeting cards!

So they receive a cheap, lame, empty gesture no effort picture.

At least with a card, you have bothered to get off your lazy ass and send something. Which means you have had to give it some thought.

Apple, single handedly making the world lazier.

bikertwin
Oct 12, 2011, 05:08 PM

At least with a card, you have bothered to get off your lazy ass and send something. Which means you have had to give it some thought.

Not only that, but there's also nothing handwritten in it. No human touch.

Might as well send an electronic card and save the printing & postage. Or make and print a card at home, hand-write something on it, and mail it.

TimTheEnchanter
Oct 12, 2011, 05:23 PM
I've been waiting for this... Time to send Apple HQ and Mrs. Jobs condolence/memorial cards. :apple: style

accessoriesguy
Oct 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
This is great, I can make and send custom cards now, how fancy! I really want to send a card now that it seems easier than ever!

Braunmann
Oct 12, 2011, 10:24 PM

Why is everyone getting so freaked out over this? There is ALREADY a company online, that does full printed cards, at about less than a $1 each, which is a 1/3rd the cost of Apple's high priced cards. AND you can have your own signature, and hand writing font, plus a full contact manager. Plus you can try it out for free, at www.iCardsRUs.com.

1080p
Oct 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
This will be great for me. My girlfriend had to relocate 1500 miles away and I can't catch up until next year. I can brighten her days with a few cards. :)

olivera88
Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
Sending out cards online is a fun and extremely easy thing to do. This is a great market for apple to get into, but the price is pretty high compared to others. Check this video out and you can send out cards for much cheaper. www.sendoutcards.com/aaronoliver

0x000000
Oct 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
Sending out cards online is a fun and extremely easy thing to do. This is a great market for apple to get into, but the price is pretty high compared to others. Check this video out and you can send out cards for much cheaper. www.sendoutcards.com/aaronoliver

Bad actors are bad.

KeJaMo
Oct 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
Immediate thought is the fact postage is centralised in US, so those of us in UK always pay international :( however although the cost of card and postage is a touch high it is not extortionate. the greatest issue though is the question of when will it be delivered. I would use this sort of service for a last minute thing when I cant get to shop or think I might miss my last post from local post box (the rather early time of 3.30pm) however the international question raises its head - just how long to get from the US to UK? Having placed an order on the 12th (around midnight UK time) I am told in my order email expect dispatch in 1-2 business days.

just had look at confirmation - says card=2.71, shipping 0.59 and VAT@21% 0.69

last time I checked VAT was 20%, I want my 3p back!!!!

rosalindavenue
Oct 13, 2011, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know why there is a notification setting for the Cards app in "settings" ? What would that app want to notify us about?

I sent one to my daughter within a few minutes of upgrading and I will update this post if I get some kind of notification.

Thanks

dgalvan123
Oct 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know why there is a notification setting for the Cards app in "settings" ? What would that app want to notify us about?

I sent one to my daughter within a few minutes of upgrading and I will update this post if I get some kind of notification.

Thanks

I think you can have the Cards app notify you when the card has arrived at the local post office, and is likely to be delivered that day. They use USPS tracking information for that.

L-U-R-C-H
Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Now if only you could attach a check for people for their birthday haha ;)

What is this world coming to. No more human interaction :(

MTShipp
Oct 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
...which would require an inconvenient synch.

...and :apple: made it easier to do that with iCloud :D

samcraig
Oct 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Eh - the app is nice - but doesn't look really finished. I think it needs a bit of a better UI/Menu system, some font choices, etc..

RalstonBA
Oct 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
Why does it require a credit card???

pusa
Oct 14, 2011, 03:49 AM
I'm confused about something. The help files on the app itself, it says "Cards mailed within the United States should arrive within 5 to 7 business days from the time the order is placed."

After placing my order, Apple has sent me my order acknowledgment through my email and it's saying "Ships: 1-2 Business days."

Huh?

anjonjp
Oct 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
For some reason, the app keeps telling me that there is insufficient information in my account and that I need to go to Settings / Store to update it. No matter how much I update the information (which was already there anyway), it still gives me the same result. It also keeps asking me for my CVV number but fails to define what this is, although I assume this to be my security number on my credit card.

My circumstances are that I am in Japan and have set my language settings to English on my iPhone, although it is sort of half / half in Japanese. My iTunes account automatically seems to render my address in the Japanese language, although input is made in romanized script initially. As a means of finding a solution I did enter the address back into romanized script (everything else on the account is in romanized script), but to no avail. Interestingly, app purchases and iTunes store purchases all work with no issue from the same account.

Anyone know what the issue is?

rayjay86
Oct 18, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm having the same problem as the above poster. I've tried multiple times on different days and after re-inputting ALL the info through settings --> store.
I get prompted or my CVV and then while it is "authorizing" itsaus insufficient info!!!

rayjay86
Oct 26, 2011, 07:29 PM
anyone figured this out? I'm using TouchNote now since it's cheaper but it would be nice to have all my stuff billed through one account (i.e.. iTunes)

anybodyreally
May 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
I'm confused about something. The help files on the app itself, it says "Cards mailed within the United States should arrive within 5 to 7 business days from the time the order is placed."

After placing my order, Apple has sent me my order acknowledgment through my email and it's saying "Ships: 1-2 Business days."

Huh?

Processing of the card, from receipt of the order, to printing the card and addressing it to mail will take 1-2 days. I'm sure orders are strived to be filled within the same day but it may depend upon when it was received. Weekends may take longer to process due to Sunday not having mail service. Then it should arrive to its intended destination within 5-7 business days of being mailed. I'm sure customer service can also clarify this further should you need it straight from the apples mouth.

tarsins
May 27, 2012, 02:22 AM
Let's hope they arrive quicker than your reply.

anybodyreally
Sep 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Let's hope they arrive quicker than your reply.

I dont hang out and live here like you have for the past 3 years. Having had some direct experience with this, I was trying to give someone possibly useful advice that might show up in a future search instead of your UK sarcasm.

VisoTal
Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 AM
Im a apple user from China. I am very very interested in this app, but now it is no use in China, because there is nobody printing such cards for us. When will it come to China? I am craving it.
Or rather, could you corporate with me? I can help you make cards in China and you will get profits. How does this app run. You just tell me.