PDA

View Full Version : is it taking anyone else FOREVER to update to ios5?

eroxx
Oct 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
I got the update downloaded, but then it needed to backup the ipad. It's been 20 minutes and all I see is a SLIVER of progress. This is the 2nd time - The first time I unplugged the ipad, did a hard reset, thinking there was some issue, but it's doing it again ... Any ideas? any one else having these problems?

iArch
Oct 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Same, but after only managing crawl up to perhaps 10% progress after over an hour, the progress bar took off and finished the remaining backup in about 20 seconds. It's now continuing on with the software update.

whsbuss
Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Yep - did my iPhone as soon as it came out. Now the iPad2 download is taking FOREVER!

Jedi5
Oct 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
was about 49 minutes away from complete download about 1 hr ago.
hit the x next to download... tried to restart download... took me back out to 4 hrs.

instead of typing of this, i could be probably installing by now...

sigh...

jsh1120
Oct 12, 2011, 01:56 PM
Same problem here. Based on the comment above, my guess is that there is much going on besides "Backing up" or servers are just struggling mightily.

Looon
Oct 12, 2011, 01:56 PM
mine is stuck on restoring apps
no idea wtf its doing lol

FABIENBRIAN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Same problem here. Based on the comment above, my guess is that there is much going on besides "Backing up" or servers are just struggling mightily.

Backing up does take a lot time.

CrAkD
Oct 12, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'm glad I made sure both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 were updated to 5 last night before the crush. Today and Friday will be the day we see what those iCloud servers are made of.

Inf4life
Oct 12, 2011, 02:03 PM

Mine took at least 30 minutes for that. Now it's working on music/videos.

jsh1120
Oct 12, 2011, 02:06 PM
Backing up does take a lot time.

Ah...Just occurred to me that the "backing up" might well be backing up to iCloud. If that's the case I can understand the massive crush.

BTW, I've gotten the same message a couple of times today when I restarted this entire operation. iTunes tells me that I have purchases on my iPad that have not been transferred to my iTunes library. Tells me I should transfer them before continuing but I have no idea what "purchases" it is talking about.

Anybody have a clue?

eroxx
Oct 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
so after about 1 hr, I got an error message .... now starting all over .. ??

Wrathwitch
Oct 12, 2011, 02:08 PM
Lol I am getting the same thing with Lion from the app store for my MacAir.

I guess I should have done it before today......

Don't want it on my iMac though.

Looon
Oct 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Mine took at least 30 minutes for that. Now it's working on music/videos.

oops i got impatient and messed with it lol

Bellemina

mine too

Wrathwitch
Ah...Just occurred to me that the "backing up" might well be backing up to iCloud. If that's the case I can understand the massive crush.

BTW, I've gotten the same message a couple of times today when I restarted this entire operation. iTunes tells me that I have purchases on my iPad that have not been transferred to my iTunes library. Tells me I should transfer them before continuing but I have no idea what "purchases" it is talking about.

Anybody have a clue?

Just simply right click on your iPad icon in the right column whehre it says yourname's iPad and click on where it says transfer purchases from.... and do it.

you will be good as gold.

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
I will download tomorrow.
Today the WHOLE planet is downloading it.

Will I die if I download tomorrow?
Will Tim Cook give me a brand new iPhone 4S if I download today?

Be patient. The world doesnt even know you exist... just download it tomorrow.

Cynicalone
Oct 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
I've been stuck on the "Restoring iPad apps..." part for about an hour now.

eroxx
Oct 12, 2011, 02:19 PM
yeah the download went fine (albeit a bit slow) .. it's the installing/backing up that's the problem

youknome
Oct 12, 2011, 02:22 PM
Mine is now stuck on restoring music/videos...

RiskyShenanigan
Oct 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
My download speed was up and down, first it started of fast then slowed down then sped up really quickly.

iSimon
Oct 12, 2011, 02:25 PM
Mine seems to have forgotten to restore apps and skipped ahead to restoring music and videos, which is taking an absolute *age*...

I hadn't realised it was a new feature that you can use the phone while it's syncing / restoring so I was initially confused that iTunes thought it was restoring stuff but the iPhone seemed oblivious. Would be handy if there was some sort of icon in the status bar that showed you that it was restoring things.

I'm hoping that once the music / videos restore is finally finished that I can go back and restore the apps manually - otherwise I will be rather pissed off as it will have forgotten all my saved game progress etc. My text and call history seems to be intact ok, and contacts mail etc. is all handled by google sync anyway.

Cynicalone
Oct 12, 2011, 02:26 PM
Now onto the "Restoring iPad music and videos..."

Jazwire
Oct 12, 2011, 02:27 PM
Yep, my iphone with about 20g of stuff looks like its going to take 1.5-2 hours to complete by my guess.

eroxx
Oct 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
has anyone got an ERROR doing it?

Ashwood11
Oct 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
My upgrade took 1 hour, exactly what the system said when it started. Encountered no problems. Did notice that when it completed the screen went to sleep and would look like it had hung but it had not. Very pleased!

mricyfire
Oct 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
If you are on a windows machine you can speed up the back up quite a bit changing process priority to "above normal" on:

AppleMobileBackup.exe
AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

MacbookSwitcher
Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
My backup is taking ages. Just a small sliver of a progress bar that's barely moving.

I guess Apple didn't have time to test this part of the iOS 5 update?

Also, there's no reason backing up a device to a local machine should depend on Apple's servers.

mricyfire
Oct 12, 2011, 02:58 PM
My backup is taking ages. Just a small sliver of a progress bar that's barely moving.

I guess Apple didn't have time to test this part of the iOS 5 update?

Also, there's no reason backing up a device to a local machine should depend on Apple's servers.

it's because with iOS5 you can restore from the iCloud, when you get it working you will understand...I just got mine to work did a clean install and am restoring from MY backup. Hopefully it works

MacbookSwitcher
Oct 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
it's because with iOS5 you can restore from the iCloud, when you get it working you will understand...I just got mine to work did a clean install and am restoring from MY backup. Hopefully it works

Are you implying that Apple is uploading all of my personal information to their servers as the progress bar says "backing up"?

mricyfire
Oct 12, 2011, 03:13 PM
Are you implying that Apple is uploading all of my personal information to their servers as the progress bar says "backing up"?

yes I am, when i got iOS5 installed from a fresh install it gave me the option to restore ofver the air...now how would one have done that if they didnt upload all that info.

----------

I can confirm that this works.

Backup regularly.

Do a clean install, update to iOS5 and restore to from iTunes and select you backup...takes a little time but finally got it working.

Helmsy67
Oct 12, 2011, 03:22 PM
Took me about an hour on the dot to download the update but i'm just gonna wait until later tonight until I update phone. Hopefully their servers will be a little less crowded later.

RyCan3
Oct 12, 2011, 03:37 PM
it has been saying 86 minutes for just the download for the past 15 mins. Should I try restarting the download?

eroxx
Oct 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
my error says that "the ipad could not be restored." .... ????

ebatt732
Oct 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
I am getting a message that my iPhone 4 cannot be restored, error 3004. I've tried restarting iTunes, etc... nothing seems to be working. Sometimes it looks like it is restoring, gets about 3/4 done and then the message pops up again.

:mad:

iSimon
Oct 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hmm well now I'm really confused. iTunes has spent the past 2 hours with a dialogue window claiming that the iPhone has been restoring Music and Videos, but while it was doing that the iPhone itself showed no indication at all that any syncing or restoring was going on. Now that the dialogue window finally completed iTunes then went into a more familiar syncing mode (with the progress bar in the top status bar), and the iPhone had the rotating sync icon next to the wifi symbol. Not sure what has actually been going on over the past two hours?!

Well now the music and videos seem to be back on my iPhone, but still none of my applications. I've now done a restore from the backup I did earlier on before applying iOS 5 but I still don't have any of my apps on the phone?! If I go into the Apps tab of the iPhone screen in iTunes it isn't set to sync them (it was before I applied iOS 5), but if I change that to sync now I suspect it will simply load fresh installs onto my iPhone and won't have any of my saved data.

[Edit: Grrrrrrr!!!! I suspect that at some point in the recent past iTunes has randomly turned off syncing my apps and unfortunately I didn't think to check before I applied the update as I hadn't changed the setting myself :( As a result I appear to have lost all my saved data for each and every app! So pissed off - this is the first iPhone update I have done where I have lost all this sort of stuff, and I was even being very careful to back it all up in the run up to iOS5 launch.]

[Edit 2: Phew! After resyncing my apps back to the iPhone it appears that the saved data was retained somewhere - at least for the apps I was most concerned about!]

MacRumorUser
Oct 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
my error says that "the ipad could not be restored." .... ????

I am getting a message that my iPhone 4 cannot be restored, error 3004. I've tried restarting iTunes, etc... nothing seems to be working. Sometimes it looks like it is restoring, gets about 3/4 done and then the message pops up again.

:mad:

Same.

Seem's apple's verification servers are hammered and can't process the request to restore - which has now left my iPad unusable at the moment.

apearlb
Oct 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
I thought maybe I had messed up because I updated to iCloud before I downloaded ios5 but now I see I'm getting the same error as everyone else. Hopefully it's just the servers are overloaded. Better luck tomorrow.:p

drcmw
Oct 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
Been stuck here for over an hour, tired for another hour before that. I can't even get through to the servers let alone download this. And this is on my first device. I started the update with my iPad 2 because if something goes wrong, I can live without that for a few days. In light of this, I'm downright afraid to try and update my iPhone 4.:(

Sedrick
Oct 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
iTunes is definitely the dog of the universe. I've seen setting on "backing up iPad" for 20 minutes now and it's about at 1/10th progress. :mad:

Who the hell wrote this crap application?

OSMac
Oct 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
My iPad was fully backed up and now the install is backing up again and its taking a very very long time...

I hope its true with iOS 5 we never have to see iTunes again...

AgentElliot007
Oct 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
Took mine 3 hours to do. 32 GB iPad 2 with 3G through AT&T. Working great now though. AirPlay Mirroring is phenomenal.

ljonesj
Oct 12, 2011, 04:32 PM
My Ipad 2 keeps trying to verify the ios5 download with apple after it backups and such and i get different errors and one that does not give a code saying it just cant do the backup which is odd as it set to go to my mac mini

Ok i think its working now just a massive hit on the servers at apple

Flake
Oct 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
took me about 30-35min from download to finishing recopying apps/music

bowlerman625
Oct 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
Grass grows....faster

Paint dries...quicker!

Never seen this with an update before.....yikes

ljonesj
Oct 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
lol i know but i think its because the ipad2 is like almost 1gb down load and the ipod touch 3gen is like 6-700 mb download

paranoia
Oct 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
If you are on a windows machine you can speed up the back up quite a bit changing process priority to "above normal" on:

AppleMobileBackup.exe
AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

I did that and got it said lost contact with network error and it stopped altogether it was on 5 hrs after 3hrs now it is on 40 hrs because I had to start from the beginning.

c5ride
Oct 12, 2011, 05:24 PM
Downloading IOS 5 now and it is estimating 11hours remaining. Wow their servers are hammered!!

OSMac
Oct 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
2 hours for the entire process but its done and restored !!

MarkyN
Oct 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
this backing up is taking the piss! hasnt moved for over 1 hour now:eek:

Syk
Oct 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
Downloaded using the links maybe 5mins and no more than 10 mins to install. The sync to restore my apps on it is taking long than the download and install
done, now i gotta debate on this cloud stuff

slu
Oct 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
I started updating my iPad at about 4:00. It just finished.

My Apple TV keeps failing though.

djfjeff
Oct 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
Mine is currently one hour in the "Backing up" process and have just done 2gig... At this rate, taking a backup will take 12 hours for my iPad...

I don't know what it do. If I take a full backup normally with iTunes, it take 1 hour total for everything.

Farns514
Oct 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
Updated my iPhone 4 right on my lunch break, and it only took about 6 minutes to download the update and another 35-40 minutes to complete the process. Loving the new update so far.:D

jmpmntwnty3
Oct 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
My update took about an hour or so, and right now it's restoring all of my apps, settings, songs, etc.

Right now I'm almost at the end of "Restoring iPhone apps..."

iOS5 is pretty dope so far though!

MacBreezy
Oct 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
My iPhone update went through on the first time. I got my iPad2 to update after only the second attempt. Loving the new OS so far.

msny
Oct 12, 2011, 06:25 PM
Got the famous Error 3200, so like everyone else tryed the upgrade over and
over.

Finally told me my iPad did not have any valid OS or Apps and could not upgrade it???
What ??? It wiped it clean.

So now I've been running the restore option for over 2 hours.
I'm dead in the water. Can I get my paid apps back from the store
if there not in the restore?

This has NOT been a good experience today.
Any advice appreciated.

Nimoy
Oct 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
Why is it "syncing" my music and photos after it just backed up my phone? There's no need to sync anything! Just update the software for Christ's sake.