Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Every time I try to install iOS 5 on my iPod touch 4G, iTunes tells me it's not eligible for an upgrade. I tried to restore it so it would be un-jailbroken and try again, but it won't even let me restore it, because it rolls the update into the restore! Am I just stuck in iOS 4 forever, or is there something I can do?

Thanks

dpetree

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Florida
so, you jail broke your device and you want to know how to update it?

I do not think your allowed to talk about that here, but basically you need to restore the device to the original iOS build. Whatever build you want, just make it legit.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
so, you jail broke your device and you want to know how to update it?

I do not think your allowed to talk about that here, but basically you need to restore the device to the original iOS build. Whatever build you want, just make it legit.

I don't think it's not allowed, it's perfectly legal. But I can't restore it, because iTunes tries to upgrade to iOS 5 as part of the restore, and I get a message saying that my device isn't eligible.

dpetree

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Florida
I will tell you what i did back in the day to get it to work

you might of tried this, i do not know

You need to find the original ipsw file and put it on your desktop, then plugin your phone and when you go to iTunes, hold down the option key and hit the restore button, it will bring up the "find file" box, go get that ipsw file and restore it

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Will my phone update to iOS 5 if jailbroken?

Hi everyone, planning on updating to iOS 5 later today. I have the Verizon iPhone that is currently jailbroken. Anything I need to do different? Thanks

CADiP4S

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Jailbroken iPhone 4 to iOS5

I just did it (AT&T phone)...it gave me a message like 'this iPhone could not be restored due an internal error (or failure)' like the first 3 times I tried (even after putting it in DFU mode). I waited for a few minutes and tried again, and then it worked with no problem. It's currently restoring the music and apps (the software has already been restored, so I know it's good).

Good luck! I can't wait for my 4S to arrive on Friday!!

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Every time I try to install iOS 5 on my iPod touch 4G, iTunes tells me it's not eligible for an upgrade. I tried to restore it so it would be un-jailbroken and try again, but it won't even let me restore it, because it rolls the update into the restore! Am I just stuck in iOS 4 forever, or is there something I can do?

Thanks

Put your phone into DFU mode then restore it. Should work fine.

CADiP4S

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Try...

just removing the .ispw file completely so there is nothing in the iPhone Software Update folder. when you plug in your iPhone, it should automatically say that there's an update (if not, click on check for updates) - if that doesn't work, with that folder empty, try clicking on restore and it should check with Apple to download iOS5

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

I will tell you what i did back in the day to get it to work

you might of tried this, i do not know

You need to find the original ipsw file and put it on your desktop, then plugin your phone and when you go to iTunes, hold down the option key and hit the restore button, it will bring up the "find file" box, go get that ipsw file and restore it

Nah it still gave me the same error message.

Remove the Cydia redirect from your hosts file.

That's through TinyUmbrella, right? I tried that, didn't work. Unless I did it wrong. Do you just uncheck the box and that's it? There didn't seem be to a "save" or "apply" button or anything.

Put your phone into DFU mode then restore it. Should work fine.

That's what I'll try next. Thanks!

just removing the .ispw file completely so there is nothing in the iPhone Software Update folder. when you plug in your iPhone, it should automatically say that there's an update (if not, click on check for updates) - if that doesn't work, with that folder empty, try clicking on restore and it should check with Apple to download iOS5

The problem isn't that the ipsw file doesn't work, it's that it won't let me do any kind of restore at all, I suspect because I'm jailbroken.

bbopera

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Edit your host file to this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
# 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
If anyone's curious, the solution I finally got to work was putting it in DFU mode. It was a little obnoxious having to resync all my music and everything, but at least it's all working now!

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
hmm. i just connected my jb iphone 4.3.2 and clicked update to ios5 in itunes and it worked fine. wonder if it's different depending on the method each person used to jb their iphone to begin with.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
hmm. i just connected my jb iphone 4.3.2 and clicked update to ios5 in itunes and it worked fine. wonder if it's different depending on the method each person used to jb their iphone to begin with.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the JB. I've read there were a lot of issues with authenticating updates yesterday.

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Maybe it has nothing to do with the JB. I've read there were a lot of issues with authenticating updates yesterday.

very true and good point. out of the 15 or so friends that i know who tried to update to ios5 yesterday, 7 had problems downloading the ipsw, 2 had problems during the extraction process, and 6 had problems ranging from losing all their apps, contacts, app layouts etc once it was installed.

i'm the only one who had a jb iphone btw.

dubnde

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
UK
I updated my jailbroken iPhone 4 yesterday on first attempt. My cousin on the other had with an iPhone 4 not jailbroken has had problems all day and been calling me for help repeatedly.

sooner518

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
i upgraded my JB iphone 4 to the Gold Master last week with no problems. iOS5 upgrade seems very finnicky so far. I couldnt get my wife's 3GS to upgrade last night, and hers isnt jailbroken. Kept getting error 3002. will try again tonight

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Forum to the rescue! Would not have guessed that one! Coming from 3.1.3 Spirit JB. Finally time to get with the times, and try out iOS 5 before pulling the trigger on an iPhone.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
JB 4.3.3 to Factory 5.0

I decided I wanted to try out 5.0 and doing a factory restore, from JB 4.3.3. I know people have talked about long upgrade times...but my phone has been stuck with the progress bar about 60-70% of the way (ends right behind the bite) for about 20 minutes now. Any experience with this? itunes is stuck at the restoring iphone progress bar at about 99%.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.