PDA

View Full Version : IOS 5 Features not supported on 3GS

osxnewbe
Oct 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if somebody knows of a list of IOS 5 features that are not supported on the 3GS (besides Siri).

I am guessing that since it's an "older" phone there would be additional that may not be supported.

Depending on how many of the "new" features are not supported, I may hold off on updating for the time being...

thanks in advance...

ah123
Oct 13, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'd also like to know this - can anyone please help? Is there a definitive list anywhere which shows the differences between what is available for 4S/4/3GS? Google hasn't provided any useful results :(

Skedoozy
Oct 13, 2011, 04:19 AM
I know Location Based Reminders are a no go for 3GS for sure.

katana92
Oct 13, 2011, 04:42 AM
siri only works on 4s

iphone 4 ios 5 doesnt have siri.

vitzr
Oct 13, 2011, 04:58 AM
Open your wallet and buy the new iPhone and a new Apple computer. Then you can enjoy all the latest features. That's the whole point of iCloud and iOS5. It's to provide you with a great experience.

daniirwan
Oct 13, 2011, 05:05 AM
Some people are tied to contracts, like me. Others don't have the moolah to upgrade immediately to a 4S.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd like to know as well. Currently I'm holding off on the update to iOS 5 due to all the horror stories re: error 3002/4

ah123
Oct 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
Open your wallet and buy the new iPhone and a new Apple computer. Then you can enjoy all the latest features. That's the whole point of iCloud and iOS5. It's to provide you with a great experience.

We didn't ask for your opinion on what we should do. We asked for a list of functionality that does/doesn't come in different models. If you can answer that, then fine. If you can't, then please refrain from replying with nonsense.

Thanks to everyone else for your answers so far!

adztaylor
Oct 13, 2011, 06:16 AM

Wow talk about an unhelpful answer. He's not complaining or anything. He's simply asking what has been omitted from the 3GS.

Jantelagen
Oct 13, 2011, 06:50 AM

Wow. Just... wow. I hope this gets downvoted to hell.

jimbobb24
Oct 13, 2011, 07:43 AM
Apple has some of the info you want:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

yippy123
Oct 13, 2011, 08:04 AM
System-wide voice recognition is not available. (Not Siri)

I only got News Stand, iCloud and Reminders. Updates to some apps like iMessage. And Mail looks a little different (or is that just me?)

That's seems to be about the changes I've noticed so far on my 3GS.

mark73
Oct 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Same here - some of the inbuilt things like weather are different. Also, I notice the titles of songs/albums when playing music in the Ipod bit og the Iphone scroll across if they are long

saintforlife
Oct 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
Wow. Just... wow. I hope this gets downvoted to hell.
What exactly happens when you down vote a post? Does it disappear from the thread after a certain number of negative votes? Does it at any time get a whole thread whacked?

allanmandy
Oct 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
Do any of you have any issues regarding photo sending/receiving thru iMessage on you 3GS? My text messages send out okay. But the progress bar doesn't reach completion if I'm sending out photos. I tried it on my iPod touch 4G (which uses the same account and has almost the same settings as my 3GS), and it was able to send the photos successfully.

Blorzoga
Oct 14, 2011, 09:17 PM

Wow, what a #%^

AppleFanatic10
Oct 14, 2011, 09:20 PM

People don't have money to waste like that, if his/her iPhone 3GS/computer is working fine, they don't need to buy the new apple computer or new iPhone.

daniirwan
Oct 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
So far, what I've found out is that on the 3GS, there's no tabbed Safari. Not sure if that's available on iPhone 4 too, though. Maybe its just for iPad.

adztaylor
Oct 15, 2011, 02:12 AM
So far, what I've found out is that on the 3GS, there's no tabbed Safari. Not sure if that's available on iPhone 4 too, though. Maybe its just for iPad.

Yeah tabbed browsing is iPad only.

daniirwan
Oct 15, 2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah tabbed browsing is iPad only.

Right, thanks for the clarification.

Reservation
Oct 15, 2011, 02:39 AM
Not sure if this'll help, but here's a list of all the new features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#iOS_5.x:_Fifth_major_OS_release

From that same page:

iPad 2 & iPhone 4S only
AirPlay mirroring
Ability to connect with Airplay to an Apple TV, display on iOS device also seen on TV.
Videos
Ability to play 1080p content.