PDA

View Full Version : Change primary Apple-ID

divadretlaw
Oct 12, 2011, 02:02 PM
Am I going to be able to change my primary Apple-ID,
which is my old email-address,
to my new iCloud @me.com email address,
because now it says it is not possible because my @me.com address is already an Apple-ID?

drayla
Oct 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
Am I going to be able to change my primary Apple-ID,
which is my old email-address,
to my new iCloud @me.com email address,
because now it says it is not possible because my @me.com address is already an Apple-ID?

don't know... i have this same problem right now...

i kick myself for not waiting to jump on the bandwagon

mp0890
Oct 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
I bought this up in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13572182&highlight=#post13572182), but this seems to be a more relevant place. I don't want to use gmail anymore now that I have iCloud. But I cannot fully move away if my AppleID is my gmail address. But sadly,

You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID.

OneUp
Oct 12, 2011, 11:28 PM
I can understand some of the intricacies of "merging" different Apple ID's, but for the life of me I can't understand why an already "merged" account can't change the default email address. Hopefully this is something Apple will address.

stekerrod
Oct 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm in the same boat, got an @me.com e-mail address when signing up to iCloud with a view to having that as my main e-mail instead of my googlemail account. Every other account has been changed fine apart from my Apple ID.

It lets me sign in using either e-mail address but just won't let me change and giving me the (hopefully) attached message when I do it through iTunes, doesn't work through Safari either.

It's really annoying!

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 13, 2011, 12:25 AM
I hope they do this in the future. I can finally kill off my junk email. It's the only thing left tying into this old email address.

Cloudsurfer
Oct 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
I have the same problem. It seems a bit silly to log in with my gmail account, for an Apple service now that I have an Apple email address.

I really hope Apple will fix this soon.

Still, you can use your new Me.com email to sign in with your Apple ID anywhere, but it will use the Gmail address for display. Very odd indeed.

Also, the Apple ID website was barely accessible last night. I guess millions of people were trying to get iCloud to work :)

James Godfrey
Oct 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Same problem here, have messaged support to see if I can get my hotmail.co.uk removed from my account and replaced with my 'alternate' me.com address. So I can just have my me.com address and thats it.

See pic attached cant see why it would be a problem to make the me.com address the primary address on the account :confused::confused::confused:

James Godfrey
Oct 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
to be honest I feel that Apple will give the option to make your me.com address your primary address in the near future, something must have been definately missed here.

lucian.dinu
Oct 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have gmail.com as an Apple ID and primary email address and the newly created me.com address as an alternate email address and I can't change it to be my primary email! It's a little bit frustrating and annoying! I can only wait and see... if Apple will do something about this situation!

James Godfrey
Oct 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have gmail.com as an Apple ID and primary email address and the newly created me.com address as an alternate email address and I can't change it to be my primary email! It's a little bit frustrating and annoying! I can only wait and see... if Apple will do something about this situation!

They probably wont, it makes me think if my @me.com is worth bothering with at all, cause to me it looks as though they are trying to sway us away from using using it.... maybe the plan is to abolish all @me.com addresses and replace with @icloud.com addresses....

mp0890
Oct 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
maybe the plan is to abolish all @me.com addresses and replace with @icloud.com addresses....

Can't be that, all the people who jumped into the Cloud yesterday got .me.com addresses.

James Godfrey
Oct 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
Right, just read another post by someone who has phoned apple about this exact issue as well as merging multiple Apple ID's the fella said to him that he has had over 150 calls today regarding this issue and with call volumes like that it raises eyebrows so we may be in luck!

Claefer
Oct 13, 2011, 06:03 PM
Right, just read another post by someone who has phoned apple about this exact issue as well as merging multiple Apple ID's the fella said to him that he has had over 150 calls today regarding this issue and with call volumes like that it raises eyebrows so we may be in luck!

I just hope this is settled before the folks at Apple go on their extended vacation.

wbc
Oct 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
I can't figure it out.

I had MobileMe for years just to sync stuff, i could care less about the email.

My AppleID is my gmail account which is the email I actually use.

When I upgraded my MobileMe I thought it would use my gmail account. But apparently it's using my @me address. It won't sync anything. I Tried deleting one, leaving the other, leaving both, etc. Nothing works.

I don't really understand. If they are getting rid of MobileMe why do I need to keep my @me.com address. It tells me my @me.com is my 'primary iCloud' email.

I'm really confused. I've never had problems with Apple products before and everyone I know comes to me for help. I might have to make an appointment at the genius bar because I have 4 computers, three iPhones, and an iPad that need to get synced together.

MobileMe always worked beautifully. And the fact that iCloud doesn't work over 3G is stupid.

I'd gladly continue paying $100 to continue using MobileMe over this iCloud business.

kong85
Oct 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
I can understand some of the intricacies of "merging" different Apple ID's, but for the life of me I can't understand why an already "merged" account can't change the default email address. Hopefully this is something Apple will address.

Agreed.

The error message refers to mobileme which is now being phased out, indicating this 'rule' hasn't been updated yet. So I'm hoping this is something they are working on. Not sure about people who had mobileme before, but I think those of us who had an Apple ID, then got me.com with iCloud (i.e. 2 'merged' style apple IDs) will be in luck - because there are a lot of us.

BigMcGuire
Mar 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
Wow this is still a problem?!

I have my Gmail as my primary apple ID but I've switched all my email to my @me.com account, which is a secondary email verified on my Apple ID account. So now, I'm done with Gmail and ..... I can't change my Primary Email and Apple ID to my name@me.com account?! WHAT?! Come the Heck on. Seriously?

heliocentric
Mar 20, 2012, 05:30 AM

I have my Gmail as my primary apple ID but I've switched all my email to my @me.com account, which is a secondary email verified on my Apple ID account. So now, I'm done with Gmail and ..... I can't change my Primary Email and Apple ID to my name@me.com account?! WHAT?! Come the Heck on. Seriously?

I explained here how to make your @me.com email your primary email -

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14422065&postcount=19

Hope that helps!

hafr
Mar 20, 2012, 05:47 AM

In what way does this cause a problem for you? Or is it just the fact that it's actually there that bugs you? I haven't used my primary Apple ID e-mail since I got the @me.com address. I log in everywhere with the @me.com and in no way do I notice I have another address as my primary...

ugahairydawgs
Mar 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
I personally don't understand why it is taking so long for this to be resolved. There is no real need to re-invent the wheel here. You would think that it would be pretty easy for them to code a utility that lets you transfer your purchase history (music, movies, books, apps...everything) from one AppleID to another.

Mainyehc
Mar 30, 2012, 02:37 AM

Hope that helps!

Dude, thank you so much!!

I just had this problem with my Apple ID after accepting the suggestion shown in my configuration page to use my Apple ID e-mail address as the main one…

The problem is, I have my account since 2004 so that is a dummy @mac.com address which I never really used as I never subscribed to either .Mac or MobileMe and, AFAIK, continued usage up until the very end of .Mac/MobileMe was a prerequisite to reuse those old addresses with iCloud Mail instead of having to create a new @me.com addresses (which I already did, and that has served me well and will do nicely as a primary address since I was already able, strangely enough, to log in to Apple ID with that new address even before it was a primary one — it used to be a gmail address —, just because it is the iCloud Mail address associated with that account… Meaning, iCloud users are probably getting hybrid Apple ID login addresses!).

I was afraid that, having an unusable address as the primary one, I could stop receiving iTunes/[Mac] App Store billing receipts but your suggestion worked a charm, so there's nothing to worry about anymore! ;)

Anyway, I still get that uneasy feeling that I probably would've never figured out this on my own… I sincerely expected a better interface from Apple! I can understand that the main iCloud login (both on the Web and on System Preferences) is separate and different from the Apple ID configuration page, and that Apple support may offer yet another different login for their support page…

What I don't get is why is the latter more powerful and flexible than the former as far as editing settings and details is concerned? It does't make any sense; if anything, it should be the other way around, IMHO. That's a glaring omission from the main configuration page, which we should file as a bug… :(

knightwolf3050
May 28, 2012, 02:57 PM

Hope that helps!

I tried it from the link you posted, edit profile from there just takes me to the regular apple id page - and I still can't make my @me.com address my primary. This is so frustrating!