PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Backlight (Pics)

laureled
Oct 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
I recently bought a 13" MBA. I'm seeing some backlight unevenness and am wondering if any of you have the same problem.

The first image is at 10% brightness. You can see two-thirds to the right a darker area that's around 2" x 2."

The second image is at 30% brightness and the third one is at 70%. I have to say it's a non issue at 70% brightness.

I'm overall very pleased with the machine. It's slightly annoying when I'm on battery and want to view emails at the lower bottom right of the screen.

Aras87
Oct 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
I had one worse than that. Get it changed. this is not acceptable and it will bug you a lot when viewing web pages, PDFs basically anything with white background.

laureled
Oct 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
I used a cloth to gently press on the darker areas, which seemed to improve. I remember reading somewhere about the diffuser and screen not properly adhering together. Maybe carrying the Air in my bag for half a mile somehow separated them? Man, owning a Mac already makes me feel antsy.

fireworksdesign
Oct 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
I used a cloth to gently press on the darker areas, which seemed to improve. I remember reading somewhere about the diffuser and screen not properly adhering together. Maybe carrying the Air in my bag for half a mile somehow separated them? Man, owning a Mac already makes me feel antsy.

Are you sure about pressing the air ? Was there an improvement after?

laureled
Oct 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
The splotches are still there but less noticeable. The Air either developed them or I didn't notice them at first. I thought the screen was fantastic on the first day.

I'll be carrying the machine around tomorrow and taking it in and out of my bag, which will apply pressure on the lid. If the splotches develop again, it's going back.

Here's a photo after the pressing, with the screen brightness at the second block:

jackyyeow
Oct 12, 2011, 10:08 PM
Exactly the same thing happened to my friend's 2011 MBA 13", at first he didn't notice it and thought it was perfect, but seems to develop it somehow but seems to be stable. He has the Samsung display just FYI.

By the way just want to add that my other friend's Macbook White has this huge splotch, or rather, half the screen (lower half) has this dark shadow. He said he doesn't mind as long as it works. It goes to show that some people actually don't mind at all. I was at a huge shock when I saw it, and if it's my machine, I wouldn't even want to turn it on and use it.

kyrian-bcn
Oct 13, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have similar issue but I think is common in the macbook Airs due to the thin screen design.

Not a big issue because I can only notice it on very light backrounds in the bottom area.

I found a similar post in the apple forums

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3235787?start=0&tstart=0

superego
Oct 13, 2011, 04:04 AM
Looks awful. Unevenness of backlight is a common flaw, but that looks certainly worse than average. I would return it.

RobNor
Dec 11, 2011, 04:36 AM
I have a 2010 MBA with Samsung panel and this has a pretty even backlight my 2011 one with LG panel is a little darker towards the bottom

Epic Xbox Revie
Dec 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
Take it back right now. You won't enjoy it otherwise.