Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Speaking of wedding photography, I was asked by a close friend to be her wedding photographer. All things said and done, I am now post processing a lot of photos. I'm working on getting consistent colors on a per venue basis. The result is a bit cool for such a joyous occasion, so I'd like to shift the white balance to give the photos a warmer touch.

So now my question is: how can I shift the white balance automatically even if the photos themselves are set to different color temperatures? I'm using Aperture and I also have a copy of Pixelmator.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Viewing one of the photos you want to change, select the Adjustments tab on the left. One of the adjustments in the dropdown is White Balance (if it doesn't already show in the left side). You can pick one of the preset white balance values to get one that is warmer. You could also enter a value yourself in the white balance fields. One last way is to use the eye dropper and click on a part of the photo that should be white or neutral grey, and it will apply balance values to make that spot a neutral white/grey.

After you get that photo white balanced the way you want, under the Photo menu pick "Lift Adjustments". The dialog that pops up will show all adjustments made to that photo. If you want to only apply white balance, then delete all the other entries in the dialog except for the white balance one. Select all the photos you want to change the white balance, and then click the "Stamp" button on the dialog to apply to all the selected photos.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Lift adjustments is exactly what I'm not thinking of, I know about lifting adjustments. This is how I have adjusted the white balance on many of the photos.

Now I have a bunch of photos where skin tones look rather similar, but they don't all necessarily have the same (numerical values for) color temperature and hue. So I don't want to use the same color temperature and hue for all photos, but I would like to use the (different) color temperatures and hues as a baseline and now add roughly the same amount of »warmth«.

I just want to avoid changing one and then transfer these changes manually (we're talking about several hundred photos).

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Lift adjustments is exactly what I'm not thinking of, I know about lifting adjustments. This is how I have adjusted the white balance on many of the photos.

Now I have a bunch of photos where skin tones look rather similar, but they don't all necessarily have the same (numerical values for) color temperature and hue. So I don't want to use the same color temperature and hue for all photos, but I would like to use the (different) color temperatures and hues as a baseline and now add roughly the same amount of »warmth«.

I just want to avoid changing one and then transfer these changes manually (we're talking about several hundred photos).

tbh struggling a bit to follow you on this?

I think there is an option to control what gets lifted and stamped (i.e. you can choose to lift some setting and not others) If that helps???

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Do you have Photoshop? See if this works.... in one image, add a layer with a warm colour, with the opacity set real low. Essentially a warm filter. If this changes the apparent the colour temperature in a pleasing way then you can set up an Action in photoshop to apply the same slightly warm layer to a whole folder of images. Before you flatten the images you can quickly scan them and make adjustments to the layer for specific situations. Photoshop also has a Photographic filters for warm tone, cool tone, etc. I don't use them, so I don't now how adjustable they are.... but these and an Action might work too.

tbh struggling a bit to follow you on this?

I think there is an option to control what gets lifted and stamped (i.e. you can choose to lift some setting and not others) If that helps???

If I'm following this, he has a number of images where the WB is (for eg) 3000, 3450, 3245, 4000, 4345, etc. He wants to increase each one by (say) 50 units. If he lifts and stamps the first image (3000 + 50 = 3050) he will change all of the images to 3050, instead of adding 50 to the existing number.

Last edited:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If I'm following this, he has a number of images where the WB is (for eg) 3000, 3450, 3245, 4000, 4345, etc. He wants to increase each one by (say) 50 units. If he lifts and stamps the first image (3000 + 50 = 3050) he will change all of the images to 3050, instead of adding 50 to the existing number.
Yes, that's exactly it. Sorry for my discombobulated posts earlier.
If you take photos in multiple venues, it's unavoidable that the color temperatures differ. But since I want to go for a unified look and feel, I wanted to get the same neutral look on all of the photos (which is quite easy if you use the color picker always on the same objects, e. g. shirts and jewelry).
Do you have Photoshop? See if this works.... in one image, add a layer with a warm colour, with the opacity set real low. Essentially a warm filter.
That's a great idea. I'll try it this weekend. :)

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Ahh with you know, yeah as suggested the filter in PS I guess.

You could also use curves in Aperture.(e.g. increasing the red or dropping the blue,...or just playing round till your happy)if you didn't want to round trip to PS....You might be able to find a preset if you look around

Either that or if you have PS then you should have Camera raw and i think Camera Raw temperature works like you want e.g. +10 + 50 +100 etc so you could just make a preset with the desired amount of increase or decrease

Not sure if any of this helps or if you know it already, still might be worth mentioning if anyone else stumbles across this thread looking for solutions

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Isn't it possible add a color adjustment in Aperture similar to what a "warming" layer in Photoshop would do?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I haven't used Aperture in ages, but this would be very easy to do in Lightroom: choose the "Split Toning" tab and select a subtle, warm tint for both highlights and shadows (or maybe even just the highlights, depending on what you want). Then copy and paste that setting alone to the other images. It's the same as applying a warming filter in Photoshop. Perhaps Aperture has some equivalent?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
That'd be perfect since I'd like to avoid round tripping and continue using non-destructive editing.

The answer is yes. Use the Color Monochrome adjustment. Set the desired color you want for the warmth tone, then adjust the intensity. Done. That looks like it would do the exact same thing as a layer in photoshop. Then you can stamp all your other images with that adjustment.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The answer is yes. Use the Color Monochrome adjustment. Set the desired color you want for the warmth tone, then adjust the intensity. Done. That looks like it would do the exact same thing as a layer in photoshop. Then you can stamp all your other images with that adjustment.
That sounds even better! :)
And yes, it really sounds like I'll have a busy weekend!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've tried a few things and by far, Keleko's advice worked best! If you think about it, I should have thought of it myself ;) In a sense, it's better than mucking with the white balance directly since I can really give the photos a unified look by adding a color of my choice. :)

Thanks a lot, the help is much appreciated.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Woo hoo! I'm glad it did what you wanted. It is also helping me learn more about using Aperture. There's so much more out there for Lightroom because it's more popular. I'm sticking with Aperture for now, though, and it seems to do everything I want. As I learn Aperture I'm using Photoshop Elements less and less. Only when I need to do something really specific will I bring up PSE.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.