Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I located the folder with my backup from right before I upgraded. All the photos that were in my Camera Roll on the phone are there. They all have names like 'b6125080e908b6a84c6ed7c516fd8b53281c9f72'.

But a 'restore' operation doesn't bring them back. I have no photo folders on the phone. I can, however, go into iTunes and enable 'Synch Photos from' and give it a folder with some other images in it. Those show up on the phone in a new folder (same name as the folder I chose in iTunes). AND I get a Camera Roll folder -- but it is empty.

For some reason, it steadfastly refuses to restore the previous photos from my backup.

Being new to the iPhone by only a few months, and this the first upgrade ever for me, I'm at a complete loss for how to fix this. I'm not entirely sure whether it may be a bug/limitation/'known problem'/'normal behavior' with IOS 5.

Anyone able to enlighten this unenlightened person?

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Same problem here. Furthermore, I'm able to browse to the photos folder on my iPhone, Media/DCIM/100APPLE, and all my photos are still there. Just not showing up under Camera Roll. Anyone have any idea how to make these show back up?

wope

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I'm having the same problem, and not only for photos/videos, but also for apps/settings/etc... restoring does no good. Thanks for losing my photos that I can't get back, Apple!

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Mine showed back up, seemingly out of the blue. I power cycled the phone a few times, and there they were. I don't know how or why they showed back up, but they did. I did try syncing some photos with the phone through iTunes, then ended up removing them. Maybe that somehow brought them back to view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.