Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Guys, what would you think about having an on/off button for iMessage like the one you have for sending SMS if iMessage not available that would allow you to only send iMessages when abroad (roaming) or to foreign contacts?

Example:

I'm living in Sweden at the moment but
I'm originally from Portugal, meaning
I have most of my friends there and
I'd like to text them using iMessage without needing to worry if it will go through iMessage or SMS.

If this feature was available on iMessage settings, I could turn it on and then I'd know that I wouldn't be billed for international SMS. The message would only be sent if my friend in Portugal would have iMessage active.

Good?

By the way, I think I got my iMessage activated. Anyone from USA or somewhere far away from Sweden would like to try it out? If yes, please send me a PM with your phone number and I'll text you using iMessage. Thanks.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
You can turn off the "send as SMS" feature so you won't be billed for international texts.

I think expecting the software to know where your friend is is a bit much - it would have to communicate with their phone to determine its location to begin with...

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
You can turn off the "send as SMS" feature so you won't be billed for international texts.

I think expecting the software to know where your friend is is a bit much - it would have to communicate with their phone to determine its location to begin with...

But with the "Send As SMS" turned off, it still sent an SMS to a friend that has no iPhone at all.

So either this iMessage isn't working or this turning of SMS is already for the purpose I'd like it to be (international or roaming texting).

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
But with the "Send As SMS" turned off, it still sent an SMS to a friend that has no iPhone at all.

So either this iMessage isn't working or this turning of SMS is already for the purpose I'd like it to be (international or roaming texting).

Well, yeah... you can't send an iMessage to an non-iPhone. I think the setting is for exactly what you describe (and for people who don't have a texting plan). But you still have to know if your friend has an iPhone or not, true.

*shrug*

Some people would probably prefer a separate app, like BBM, so that you know exactly what you're sending without thinking about it. Personally, for me this puts communication first (the phone selects the best option), which overall is more streamlined.

But not perfect, naturally...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.