PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this continued


coopdog
Oct 6, 2002, 07:16 PM
We should really explore the apple site there are so many weird pages on there.
http://waves.apple.com/people/jav/Montara/DSCN7017-tb.html
many others. It seems that a few days after the privite.apple.com was mentioned on here it was blocked. What stuff have you found?

King Cobra
Oct 6, 2002, 07:22 PM
Cyberdog Team page (http://waves.apple.com/people/)
(dates back to 1996)

funkywhat2
Oct 6, 2002, 07:59 PM
it's like pre itools/.mac/homepage stuff.

how do you guys fnd this? any freaky keywords?

samdweck
Oct 6, 2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by crazy_will
it's like pre itools/.mac/homepage stuff.

how do you guys fnd this? any freaky keywords?

maybe it's some old thing they were toying with the idea of, and never executed, or maybe it's to trick us!

Durandal7
Oct 6, 2002, 08:14 PM
It does look like an iTools prototype. Could this be a private server that SJ uses for iTools/.mac presentations during his keynotes?

samdweck
Oct 6, 2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
It does look like an iTools prototype. Could this be a private server that SJ uses for iTools/.mac presentations during his keynotes?

hmm but why didn't they use it?

samdweck
Oct 6, 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
It does look like an iTools prototype. Could this be a private server that SJ uses for iTools/.mac presentations during his keynotes?


wait... it can't be... steve jobs didn't come back with the whole "i" thing until 97, and the company was completely changed then. Can't be.

coopdog
Oct 6, 2002, 10:20 PM
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.

Oh yeah and there was also privite.apple.com which happened to have some old "Top serect" stuff in on it. Now its blocked. It was talked about here before

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9715

I find this to be quite interesting, the whole concept. Some random servers linking back to some random apple url running in some dusty old basement in who knows where. Or maybe even in the hart of "Apple Land" Steve Jobs office even! They're tring to fool us, its a diversion!

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by coopdog
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.

Oh yeah and there was also privite.apple.com which happened to have some old "Top serect" stuff in on it. Now its blocked. It was talked about here before

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9715

I find this to be quite interesting, the whole concept. Some random servers linking back to some random apple url running in some dusty old basement in who knows where. Or maybe even in the hart of "Apple Land" Steve Jobs office even! They're tring to fool us, its a diversion!

Soemthign is soudning very mysterious about this... I bet you caught soemthing that is up their sleeve... shouldn't have sent those email... keep it quiet!?

irmongoose
Oct 7, 2002, 06:37 AM
Please tell me you guys know what CyberDog is (or was)...





irmongoose

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Please tell me you guys know what CyberDog is (or was)...





irmongoose

sorry i dont' but i will do some research on it when i get home from school, peace out y'all!

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Please tell me you guys know what CyberDog is (or was)...
Yeah, I'd like to know that, too!
But it's not a previous version of iTools, 'cause those people that have their pages there actually work at Apple... but why waves.apple.com? weird stuff!

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by coopdog
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.
On the INXS page (http://waves.apple.com/people/jav/INXS.html) , there's some stuff from June 2002, so it clearly was updated...
this stuff is cool... I wonder how many more of these weird apple pages we'll find... where did you get this from anyways?!? :cool:

OSeXy!
Oct 7, 2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Please tell me you guys know what CyberDog is (or was)...
irmongoose
It used to ship with macs, back in the days of steam power...

http://www.marygrimsley.org/cyberdogstuff/index.php

OSeXy!
Oct 7, 2002, 08:11 AM
ftp://ftp.apple.com/research/squeak/

:confused:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/filemaker/distribution.txt

:confused: :confused:

and a (banal) tech page on an as-yet-to-be-released apple product...
ftp://time.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Misc/Inserts/073-0758-a.pdf

Vector
Oct 7, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by coopdog
I noticed that on vic's page he says something about OS X so it has been clearly updated since 1996 or when ever. I sent some of them emails ill see if i get replies.

Oh yeah and there was also privite.apple.com which happened to have some old "Top serect" stuff in on it. Now its blocked. It was talked about here before

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9715

I find this to be quite interesting, the whole concept. Some random servers linking back to some random apple url running in some dusty old basement in who knows where. Or maybe even in the hart of "Apple Land" Steve Jobs office even! They're tring to fool us, its a diversion!

Yeah It used to have alot of stuff on it such as the p58 info. I posted a thread about a .sit file full of pdf files of the p58 and someone notived that one of the files i had mentioned contained info about firewire 3. After that everything mysteriously went away and now there is only a folder of vendors and you cannot access each vendor's folder w/o a password.

htp://www.private.apple.com i just realized this address no longer redirects you to the right site go here https://private.apple.com/opseng/

Vector
Oct 7, 2002, 09:05 AM
There is a site at http://www.cyberdog.org but i cannot get it to load right now.

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 09:21 AM
It's cool that they have so many hidden pages, but they should focus on keeping mac.com running :D
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=12505

irmongoose
Oct 7, 2002, 09:28 AM
CyberDog was Apple's first (and only) attempt at a web browser. It was kinda like Netscape Communicator, as in it had many internet utilities in one, but it also included things like FTP. But, it failed, just like many other Apple technologies which were maybe just too ahead of its time. Other failed Apple technologies include the Newton, the eMate, and OpenDoc (this was the technology CyberDog relied on, and since OpenDoc failed, CyberDog failed).


Well, if you wanna know more, just ask.




irmongoose

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Well, if you wanna know more, just ask.
Okay :D
Well, what was OpenDoc? Something like the Mozilla Engine, a browser with open standards?

irmongoose
Oct 7, 2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TheT

Okay :D
Well, what was OpenDoc? Something like the Mozilla Engine, a browser with open standards?

OpenDoc was a cross-platform software development technology which concentrated on the documents, rather than the application, letting users customize almost each and every thing (such as placement of buttons), to his/her will. It did sound great, but in the end, it just made life hard for both developers and users.

Anything else?



irmongoose

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose

Anything else?

Good stuff...
Nope, nothing else, Thanks! ;)

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
CyberDog was Apple's first (and only) attempt at a web browser. It was kinda like Netscape Communicator, as in it had many internet utilities in one, but it also included things like FTP. But, it failed, just like many other Apple technologies which were maybe just too ahead of its time. Other failed Apple technologies include the Newton, the eMate, and OpenDoc (this was the technology CyberDog relied on, and since OpenDoc failed, CyberDog failed).


Well, if you wanna know more, just ask.




irmongoose

well i wish they would make a revised version- and btw, u forgot the g4 cube!

blogo
Nov 12, 2002, 01:13 PM
http://mirror.apple.com/

MrMacMan
Nov 14, 2002, 08:10 PM
God I love old stuff, that is Just Sitting on some one 68k server in their basement which was somehow networked :D
Well keep posting these are really funny to look at.

wdlove
Nov 15, 2002, 07:36 PM
I love photos of the beach, it so relaxing. Always look forward to my trips to the Cape Cod beach, Harwichport, MA! :)