Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I read that iOS 5 makes the phone sluggish. can anyone with a 3GS let me know how the upgrade went?

James Newton

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Mine hasn't worked at all and completely messed my phone up. I can't use it now because apparently my sim card isn't compatible... Need help!

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
The upgrade of my iPhone 3GS version 4.3.5 to 5.0 went smmothly without any problem. The iPhone was not jailbroken and I did the upgrade on a MacBook Pro 2011 with Lion 10.7.1

James Newton

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
The upgrade of my iPhone 3GS version 4.3.5 to 5.0 went smmothly without any problem. The iPhone was not jailbroken and I did the upgrade on a MacBook Pro 2011 with Lion 10.7.1

That's exactly what I done, but now my sim card is not supported!

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
so that's 5 yays and 1 nay. guess I'll take the plunge when I get home later. thanks fellers!

Readover

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
works flawlessly! Notificationcenter and everything is smooth as silk! perfect!

Only thing I'm bummed about is that location based reminders only work on iPhone 4 and newer for some strange reason :(

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
The only thing slow about iOS5 are the Apple servers.... I've been downloading it for the last 4 hours and the iTunes progress bar says its roughly 25% complete...

Oh and the iCloud website keeps crashing...

You'd think that Apple, by now would stop believing all the crap about no one buying or wanting their latest warez and buy more servers...

It gets worse with each release... :(

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm glad to hear it's working well on the 3GS, but I'm having the issue of iOS5 not showing up as the newest version when I open iTunes. It's still showing 4.3.5 (and yes, I've got iTunes 10.5). Not sure what's up with that.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Wow, iOS5 final is amazing, I tried iOS beta 3, 4 and 5 and they all sucked, laggy as hell... almost put me off ever updating to it

But WOW, the final release is actually faster than iOS4, trust me I easily pick up on every little lag or slowdown and I am VERY impressed

If you are in any doubt, trust me and go for it... just make sure you set up as new and restore fully

kirreip

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Same here, works nice. Although I haven't activated iCloud yet, as I still need some MobileMe only settings (iDisk and iWeb) for now. Hope iCloud won't slow down the phone.

And I am a little disappointed they have taken away the location reminders. It has been there on some previous betas before the launch... But I don't really know if I had used it often anyway... :rolleyes:

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Same here, works nice. Although I haven't activated iCloud yet, as I still need some MobileMe only settings (iDisk and iWeb) for now. Hope iCloud won't slow down the phone.

On an unrelated note, I saw that iCloud is bunlded with 10.7.2, but I'm holding steady on 10.6.8. Can anyone tell me if iCloud will be released on SL, or will I just have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Lion if I want to keep working with all the features in the Cloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.