PDA

View Full Version : AppleIDS, MobileMe, iCloud and Sharing: A Guide

dhy8386
Oct 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Guys

There is tremendous confusion around how to set up iCloud in family/multi person environments given everyones Apple legacy accounts so I thought I would post a guide. Hopefully this is helpful and accurate and clear!

Before you read this post, below are some useful links to get you started with iOS5 and iCloud which I suggest you may want to read first as the below addresses the most common problems I have come across.

Getting Started, AppleIDs and iCloud - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895
Creating an iCloud account FAQ - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4436
Apple FAQ on AppleIDs - http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37
Changing your AppleID - http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40
Apple Community Support for iCloud - https://discussions.apple.com/community/icloud

iLounge's Secret Tips & Tricks for Setting up iOS5 and iCloud (very good resource covering a lot of the below) - http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-icloud-2011/

Some definitions:

AppleIDs - AppleIDs can be any email address (or for very longtime users, just a simple one word name - NOTE APPLE IS GOING TO MAKE YOU CHANGE THIS TO AN EMAIL IF YOU GO ICLOUD). Many people used .Mac email addresses as their AppleID and then those converted to @me accounts. It doesn't matter. Apple allows you to have separate AppleIDs (not that you want it) for iTunes/App/Book Store ("iTAB") purchases, FaceTime, iMessage and even iCloud.

NOTE: iTAB IDs or those used for making purchases in iTunes are the IDs that will be tied to iTunes Match when it is released. This means that if you upload all your music under one iTAB ID and want many people to have access to it, they will all need to share this ID for the Store login. See below.

MobileMe IDs - Many people signed up for MM and by default, also made their AppleID for iTAB purchases their MM address. This creates some confusion i will address below. But MM accounts are the email addresses with the @me.com naming convention.

iCloud Accounts/IDs - iCloud accounts are also defined by an AppleID but this AppleID can be many things. They can be 1) the same as the existing AppleID for the iTAB, 2) your current MM login (in which case if you use your MM account it will be converted to an iCloud account automatically upon first sign in), 3) a new @me account which you can sign up for when you first see the iCloud account setup on your phone, 4) a new email address of your choosing (lets say a Yahoo account).

iMessage IDs - By default, iMessage will be set up with your iCloud AppleID when you first set up iCloud. But keep in mind, Apple allows you to change this under Settings>Messages. What you do here is simply a decision of whether you want the particular iDevice to show iMessages for a specific account. But iMessage can be set up to show many different AppleIDs so it is flexible in that regards.

Scenario 1:
You have an existing AppleID name@gmail.com that is currently used by your family or just by you for iTunes/App/Book Store ("iTAB") purchases. You want to share this ID across the family so everyone has access to previously purchased content via the cloud.

iCloud Option 1: Separate iCloud account for each family member. No photostream or doc sync sharing
MAIN USER: You have two options. First, when you set up your iCloud for first time, use this same name@gmail.com account as the login credentials. This is a "clean" option. This iCloud ID (which is your iTAB ID) will also be set up as your default iTAB ID on your iDevice under the Settings>Store so you don't have to go into the App store or iTunes store and set it up. [NOTE: Keep in mind this means that if you use the same AppleID for iCloud and iTAB, anyone else sharing your iTAB also has your iCloud password] Alternatively, you could create a new iCloud ID at setup, name1@gmail.com. Since this is a new ID and not tied to your iTAB ID, once the phone is setup, go into Settings>Store and logout the current ID (remember, by default the iCloud ID you just signed up with) and enter the credentials for name@gmail.com.

SECONDARY USERS/OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS: For other family members that want to set up iCloud, each should create (or use) their unique AppleID to sign into iCloud and these IDs are distinct from the shared iTAB ID of name@gmail.com. Lets call this name2@gmail.com. However, this family member wants to be able to share the iTAB purchases under the main name@gmail.com account. Easy. Once iDevice is setup, go into Settings>Store and logout the current ID (remember, by default the iCloud ID you just signed up with) and enter the credentials for name@gmail.com. The result is separate iCloud accounts to manage individual photostreams, find my phone, calendar, contacts, reminders, etc but still retaining access to previously purchased content of the iTAB account.

iCloud Option 1 Note: MobileMe
If any family member is currently using MM, they should convert this to an iCloud account upon iCloud setup. This will occur automatically. When asked to enter an iCloud ID for first time, enter your MM credentials and then your MM account will be converted to an iCloud account. Your MM login info becomes your iCloud login. The reason to do this is because Apple is going to auto move all MM to iCloud anyway so your better off doing it yourself to keep things more tidy. [NOTE: If you have or create an @me account, but decide to login to iCloud with a different AppleID, and then try and go and turn on Mail for that account, it will ask you to create an @me account. Why? Because to use Mail under iCloud you need an @me address yet you have signed into iCloud with some other handle (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc). This has consequences, in that Apple will then not let you use the @me account you previously created for use with Mail. You will need to add it as a separate, secondary iCloud account or create a brand new @me. ]

iCloud Option 2: Separate iCloud account for each family member. But shared photostream and doc sync sharing
NOTE: Sharing an iCloud account, and thus making it the master account on multiple devices, means you will only have 5GB of storage free for all devices.
WHOLE FAMILY: There is another way to set this up, but this way is the cleanest. Create an AppleID to be used as the main iCloud account for every family member. In this case, it can be a new @me account you create, an existing shared one, or you can even use your iTAB AppleID in this case. Any person in the family can set this up. Lets just say Main user upgrade to iOS5, and upon initial iCloud setup, does this Whole Family option for their device. We will call this account, family@me.com.
MAIN USER: Assuming this user set up the family@me.com account and the iCloud on their device is set up as family@me.com, the next step is to now create their own distinct iCloud ID. We do this because in order to share photostream, everyone in the family MUST BE LOGGED IN TO THE SAME ICLOUD AS THE MASTER ICLOUD ACCOUNT. Go into Settings>Mail, iCal, etc and create a new iCloud account. You have the option of entering your AppleID if you have a separate one (maybe your MM account) or you can create a new one, with the button at the bottom. Once you set that up, you will have your own Mail, Cal, Contacts, and Reminders.
SECONDARY USERS/OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS: Each family member does the exact same setup as the Main user. When logging into iCloud for first time, each member enters family@me.com as their iCloud account and then goes and sets up their own iCloud account.

iCloud Option 2 Note (a): SHARING
As for accessing each others information, again you have options. Either, you can use that main family@me.com accounts calendar and contacts and reminders as shared for everyone. All stuff that should be shared gets placed on that accounts respective calendar, contact book, etc. But you may find this too tedious. Instead, each family member can add the other's iCloud account. Just go back to Settings and add another iCloud account of the family member. Then, you just turn on that family members respective calendar, contact, reminder. In this case, you would likely turn off the main family@me.com accounts calendar, contacts, reminders since they are not being used.

iCloud Option 2 Note (b): SIRI
If you read the above Note (a) on SHARING, one of the unfortunate side affects of sharing contacts across people is that Siri does not distinguish between the contacts in the address book. As a result, Siri will get confused who the owner of the phone is (it uses the contact ID for this) and the relationships you define for Siri (i.e. Wide, Mom, Brother) will also be shared and your therefore cannot have competing relationships. For example, if your wife has defined you as husband in her address book, Siri will always refer to you as "Husband" not your name. Another example, if I define my mother as "Mom" so I could tell Siri, "Call Mom" or "Where is Mom" then when my wife, who has done the same thing for her mother on her phone, goes to say the same commands, Siri will be confused. I have not found a workaround for this yet.

Scenario 1 Common Questions:
Q: How do I setup multiple iCloud accounts/IDs?
A: A few ways. The easiest way is that each person sets up their own iCloud account on their iDevice at the initial setup. Assuming you yourself want two IDs or want to set it up for someone else, there are two options. On the Device, go under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar>Add Account. There you will see either enter the iCloud credentials or at the bottom, get a free AppleID. Choose this option, walk through the steps of creating a new AppleID and then you have your new iCloud account. Other method is on the computer under Lion 10.7.2, there is now an iCloud System preference. You can set up iCloud accounts/IDs there.

Q: I have an old .mac account that was upgrade to MobileMe, how does moving to iCloud affect me?
A: There is no different if you have one of these legacy accounts. If you are still using your @mac email to log into your iTAB account, you can continue to do so. When asked to sign up for a new iCloud account on your device, you can just use your MM credentials before or after you have migrated MM to iCloud. You will either be prompted to do so if you have not migrated or it will simply set you up with iCloud. You don't even need to change the iTAB login as the @mac and @me accounts are interchangeable from a AppleID perspective.

Q: Can i have multiple iCloud accounts on 1 phone?
A: Yes. The initial iCloud account you sign up with is your "master" account. This is important because any iOS device can only have one master iCloud account. The master iCloud account is tied into photostream, your device backup and settings, Docs sharing, and Find my iDevice. So if name1@gmail.com is the master iCloud account, you can add name2@gmail.com as the second iCloud account. Why do this? To share calendars, reminders, and contacts. However, you will not be able to share name2@gmail.com's photo stream, doc sharing, or device settings obviously. Find my iPhone is a little tricky in that you could disable it on the master iCloud account and turn it on in the secondary iCloud account. You would do this to tie Find my iDevice to one account so you can see all devices under that one account (similar to how it has been in the past).

Q: What about iMessage. If we share iCloud accounts won't we each see the others iMessages? Can we all have our own iMessage IDs?
A: iMessage allows you to assign it yet another distinct ID. Its under Settings>Messages. But in practice the most likely use case is just to assign iMessage your unique iCloud AppleID. In the case of an iPad, you may choose to give it its own ID or more likely, you may assign it to one persons account or add everyones account so the iPad is truly a shared device. Of course every family members iMessages would be set to show up there but this may be ok for everyone.

Q: What about iTunes in the Cloud? How does that work now?
A: This is really two distinct items. Lets call this previous iTunes Purchases and iTunes Match (not yet available). Both of these are tied to the iTAB ID not the iCloud ID. For previous iTunes Purchases, and assuming everyone is sharing the name@gmail.com iTAB account, you can go into the iTunes app and there is a section called Purchased. Under here, you will see every song/movie/show ever purchased and it is available for download. Each family member,regardless of their iCloud account can download this music to their device to be mixed in with the current Music library already synced from the computer. If family member A and family member B have different libraries or have synced different playlists, its doesn't matter. The music is just downloaded to the device as another song.

iTunes Match is also tied to the iTAB ID. So for example, if you have uploaded your entire library via iTunes Match, which was inclusive of songs purchased through iTunes and songs ripped via other means, all your music is now stored in the cloud [dont think iCloud though]. If you want that available, you have to turn on iTunes Match on the iDevice. BUT THIS HAS CONSEQUENCES. Turning on Match will wipe clean your current Music library on your iDevice. Instead, your Music app (not the iTunes app) will show all the same songs you just wiped (assuming it matched 100%) except that they will all be available for download. Meaning, you will need to redownload all the songs you want in your library. Each family member can do this or not do this as again, Match is tied into the ITAB ID. Each family member can also choose to download whichever songs they want. They will not be synced across devices.

Scenario 2: You have multiple AppleIDs in the family that have purchased their own iTAB content but with iCloud now, you want to unify them. How do you do that and still setup separate iCloud accounts.

iCloud Option 3:
In order to unify content from multiple AppleIDs, you need to copy all purchases from the other IDs onto the computer you sync with your iDevice. You then need to authorize that computer to all the different AppleIDs. Once that is done, all your iTAB content can by synced to your iDevice. If your family all uses separate computers to manage their iDevice, but you still want to unify the purchases, you do the same thing on each computer. The key is picking one AppleID to use going forward. So if the family has family@me.com, family1@me.com, and family2@me.com, each that has been used for iTAB purchases, I would choose family@me.com as the single iTAB account going forward. Each person would need to authorize the other two accounts that is not on their computer, download all the content into their iTunes libraries. Then everyone signs in as family@me.com going forward.

The rest of the setup is the same as iCloud Option 1 or 2 above. When it comes time to setup the iTAB AppleID, you use the family@me.com. Your device will have all content from the other two family IDs and going forward, anything purchased under family@me.com is available to everyone. BUT THIS METHOD DOES NOT MAKE THE PREVIOUS PURCHASES UNDER FAMILY1@ME.COM AND FAMILY2@ME.COM AVAILABLE IN THE CLOUD FOR REDOWNLOAD UNDER FAMILY@ME.COM. It only serves to get each iDevice access to the collective content and then positions the family to have one ID going forward for all purchases.

Scenario 2 Common Questions:
Q: Can I migrate an old AppleID which is tied to iTAB content to a new one that I want to set up as my new iCloud ID?
A: Yes you can. You can manage this at Apples website. However, this new AppleID under iCloud cannot be an @me account. They restrict this for some reason.

I know this was a long guide but hopefully it helps explain all the questions out there. If I missed any scenario, please let me know and I will add it. If I misstated anything, please let me know.

FrankTheTankk
Oct 12, 2011, 06:03 PM
Wow. This was very very helpful. Thank you. Maybe should be in the iOS 5 section no?

Rtr
Oct 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have an @me.com address that is my login for mobileme (which I use to sync contacts and calendars). My appleid to by iTAB stuff is a @hotmail.com address. Which ID should I use when signing up for icloud?

urkel
Oct 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
There has to be a more user friendly way to manage this icloud stuff.

For us, we have two users (Me + Wife). We want to share apps so we have a main@gmail.com address as our iTunes Store. But the problem is that some stuff we want to share (reminders, iCal) and some stuff we want to keep personal (mail, contacts). But it seems like using a single ID combines too much stuff and using separate ID's keeps too much stuff apart.

This cloud stuff is very interesting and I can see how its the future, but the current implementation seems to be ideal if youre single.

scott523
Oct 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
Awesome thread. This definitely should be moved to the iCloud/MobileMe section.

I've been stuck with this problem for the past two hours and you know what I realized? It doesn't matter and it is what it is. Here's why:

My GMail is tied to the iTunes Store and my gut instinct was to tie it to iCloud. Then I had to make an @me.com account for iCloud which was when I realized there was problem. I couldn't plug in the newly made iCloud email address into the iTunes Store, I thought I trapped with no way out.

Long story short... I then tried logging in to the iTunes Store with my @me.com account from iCloud and the password associated with my GMail-tied iTunes Store account and it worked. Now it doesn't say 'name@me.com' at the top right corner but I did manage to sign in. The same applies when logging into iCloud.com. So it looks like both my GMail-tied iTunes Store AppleID and the iCloud @me.com Mail account I had just created is "universal"?

Even though I wanted to disassociate my GMail account from the iTunes Store and iCloud.com, it seems like that is impossible. Therefore I believe the only option is (a) do nothing and stick with GMail or (b) attempt to migrate/forward everything to iCloud and forget GMail as much as possible? Am I right? If anyone has a better suggestion, please tell me!

aneftp
Oct 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
I have a very old.itunes account.

I have a catchy five word name as itunes acct name (I don't even have to add an email at the end of it.

Now apple wants me to add an email? Wtf?

DollaTwentyFive
Oct 12, 2011, 07:13 PM
Very helpful, though I am still struggling with the scope of this whole thing.

HopHead927
Oct 12, 2011, 07:42 PM
For a company that prides itself on simplicity, Apple managed to REALLY screw the pooch on this one...

jbg232
Oct 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
For a company that prides itself on simplicity, Apple managed to REALLY screw the pooch on this one...

+1 - whoever is in charge of this should be fired, it is so un-apple!

dhy8386
Oct 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have an @me.com address that is my login for mobileme (which I use to sync contacts and calendars). My appleid to by iTAB stuff is a @hotmail.com address. Which ID should I use when signing up for icloud?

I suggest MobileMe.

----------

For us, we have two users (Me + Wife). We want to share apps so we have a main@gmail.com address as our iTunes Store. But the problem is that some stuff we want to share (reminders, iCal) and some stuff we want to keep personal (mail, contacts). But it seems like using a single ID combines too much stuff and using separate ID's keeps too much stuff apart.

This cloud stuff is very interesting and I can see how its the future, but the current implementation seems to be ideal if youre single.

Can be done easily actually. Share iTAB account. Each have an iCloud that is distinct. Then on your own iCloud account, turn on mail and contacts and iCal and reminders. Then add your wifes iCloud account. Only turn on iCal and reminders. These now integrate into the one calendar and one reminder app. Your wife would do the same thing only with your iCloud account.

----------

Honestly, there are a few ways they could improve it but if you stop and think about it, it makes perfect sense. The iCloud stuff is strictly personal meaning there is no third party content provider involved. Its your own info. Everyone should have their own account simply so the devices, settings, etc can be backed up properly on a per device, per person basis. If we start from there, now we move on to content. How do you handle that? Well families share content. families also have individual content. Apple allows you to share another AppleID that is designated for content purchase. 10 devices. Apple also allows you, through home sharing and computer authorizations, for each individual to share their own content with the rest of the family. The could improve part comes here. Right now this is only PC based. In the future, you should be able to have the one iCloud ID as the master ID. Then you could set in your store preferences, additional IDs whose content then would also become available to you. IN this way, one master ID, and then ability to add subIDS that all roll up into the iCloud ID but is transparent to the end user. I think it will eventually get there. But its not that far off if you think about it.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 13, 2011, 01:41 AM
I got a question, if you can help me with this.

I have a gmail account (name@gmail.com), and I also created the iCloud account with it's email service (name@me.com).

My Apple ID is my gmail account (name@gmail.com), is there a way to change this so my iCloud email is my ONLY email?

So basically, my iCloud email (name@me.com), will be used for both iCloud, and as an Apple ID.

Is this possible, or not?

Catdogchicken
Oct 13, 2011, 02:32 AM

I have a gmail account (name@gmail.com), and I also created the iCloud account with it's email service (name@me.com).

My Apple ID is my gmail account (name@gmail.com), is there a way to change this so my iCloud email is my ONLY email?

So basically, my iCloud email (name@me.com), will be used for both iCloud, and as an Apple ID.

You can use your new @me.com iCloud account to sign into iTunes etc but when logged in will show your current @gmail.com name. I think once this migration stuff is over apple will looke to merge and/or allow you to have a @me.com email as your apple ID.

I created my @me.com and have changed everything on my i4 to use that email as default, FaceTime, iMessage, find my iPhone/iPad etc etc. my original apple ID only receives email from the iTunes and App store when I make a purchase.

chimpboy74
Oct 13, 2011, 02:41 AM
My scenario is that I use MM for mail contacts and calendars but have anothe ritunes ID for apps music etc. will print this thread out and read it thoroughly for mest thing to do. Ilove that my contacts and calendard sync to my wifes phone too (and my MM email address is nice and simple)

BUT

I have all my apps against the old email address.

thanks for the advice.

devman
Oct 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
Great thread. I hope you can help because I am thoroughly confused.

I was on dot mac so I have a name@mac.com account.

I went to MobileMe and so I have a name@me.com account. I changed everything to use me.com and have worked that way for years.

Since updating to iOS 5, my mobileme account for mail, contacts, calendars, etc, has been forced back to name@mac.com. If I send an e-mail it says from name@mac.com. I cannot send from me.com anymore (which I was doing fine until iOS 5).

When I login to iTunes I use me.com. On an iOS device in the Store settings it says my appleid is name@me.com BUT... if I go to the apple website for apple ids, it says my appleid is name@mac.com and it won't let me change it.

I have not done the move to iCloud yet because I have no idea what it will do anymore regarding these names/ids.

Both my phone and pad have now been forced to name@mac.com for my MobileMe account.

Can someone explain all this please?

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 05:19 AM
Great thread. I hope you can help because I am thoroughly confused.

I was on dot mac so I have a name@mac.com account.

I went to MobileMe and so I have a name@me.com account. I changed everything to use me.com and have worked that way for years.

Since updating to iOS 5, my mobileme account for mail, contacts, calendars, etc, has been forced back to name@mac.com. If I send an e-mail it says from name@mac.com. I cannot send from me.com anymore (which I was doing fine until iOS 5).

When I login to iTunes I use me.com. On an iOS device in the Store settings it says my appleid is name@me.com BUT... if I go to the apple website for apple ids, it says my appleid is name@mac.com and it won't let me change it.

I have not done the move to iCloud yet because I have no idea what it will do anymore regarding these names/ids.

Both my phone and pad have now been forced to name@mac.com for my MobileMe account.

Can someone explain all this please?

Well i had the same thing. Had .Mac and it was converted to MM when that service went live. But my @mac and @me have always been interchangeable. I always sign into iTunes or even Apple.com with @me but once it logs in it shows the account as @mac. Same is true if i go look at my user ID on the AppleID info page. I think that is par for the course. Even when i set up MM on my computer, the accounts setting page on my mac showed the MM account as @mac. However, if you are saying that when you send an email, it says @mac then i haven't seen that in awhile. When i send an email, it shows @me.

You are fine otherwise. Moving to iCloud will not affect it. I would simply move your MM to iCloud. Then on your device sign in with the MM credentials. Someday I am sure, Apple will update all these @me accounts that were legacy @mac accounts.

StingerT125
Oct 13, 2011, 05:22 AM
THis is really helpful. THanks.

FrankTheTankk
Oct 13, 2011, 05:34 AM
I am all set up with my family. Now just waiting for our 4Ss to come.

But I wanted to say thanks again and I have pointed like 5 other people to this thread. All found it helpful.

I wonder if the Mods can sticky this. But it probably should be in either the iOS5 section or the iCloud section or both if thats possible.

Thanks again.

FtT

chimpboy74
Oct 13, 2011, 06:32 AM
Sorry, I'm being really thick with this (I was up late last night trying to install iOS5!!)

I have a mobile me account (ID) which I want to use for email, contacts and calendars (as my wife and I share these across 2 devices)

All of my other itunes stuff (music, videos, apps) are against a different apple ID.

Is it possible to set up my phone so that I can get the iCloud features for my content but still retain the MM settings?

I seem to have this done at the moment but i think the way I have done it I have set up iCloud against the appleID with all my music content and not with the MM ID. this will work fine for now but I understand mobileme stuff not transferred to iCloud will be lost June next year.

I have a really nice email address from MM that I want to use so am struggling to see how I can get this to work for me. I have read the first post 3 or 4 times and cant see how to sort out my situation (maybe I'm just tired!) or am I missing something blatantly obvious?

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 06:36 AM
Sorry, I'm being really thick with this (I was up late last night trying to install iOS5!!)

I have a mobile me account (ID) which I want to use for email, contacts and calendars (as my wife and I share these across 2 devices)

All of my other itunes stuff (music, videos, apps) are against a different apple ID.

Is it possible to set up my phone so that I can get the iCloud features for my content but still retain the MM settings?

I seem to have this done at the moment but i think the way I have done it I have set up iCloud against the appleID with all my music content and not with the MM ID. this will work fine for now but I understand mobileme stuff not transferred to iCloud will be lost June next year.

I have a really nice email address from MM that I want to use so am struggling to see how I can get this to work for me. I have read the first post 3 or 4 times and cant see how to sort out my situation (maybe I'm just tired!) or am I missing something blatantly obvious?

iCloud Option 1 Note

I may clarify this some more. ANyway, delete your current iCloud account under Settings>iCloud. Wipe everything off phone to start over. Now go into Mail settings, add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials. If you haven't migrated to iCloud your MM, it should prompt you to do that.

Then follow the above for iCloud Option 1B for store setup.

chimpboy74
Oct 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
iCloud Option 1 Note

I may clarify this some more. ANyway, delete your current iCloud account under Settings>iCloud. Wipe everything off phone to start over. Now go into Mail settings, add an iCloud account. Enter your MM credentials. If you haven't migrated to iCloud your MM, it should prompt you to do that.

thanks for that. I'm going to try this afternoon. Hopefully it works its been worrying me this morning as I have spent last few weeks changing everything to my MM email address and didnt want to go back to my old one!

Just to confuse matters further i have a mobileme alias that I use as my main email address. I want to try and get rid of the main account email address and use the alias. Any thoughts? I guess I might be quicker deleting the alias and opening a new account with that address?

GhostMac24
Oct 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
Wow, nice write-up. Thank you!

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 07:28 AM
thanks for that. I'm going to try this afternoon. Hopefully it works its been worrying me this morning as I have spent last few weeks changing everything to my MM email address and didnt want to go back to my old one!

Just to confuse matters further i have a mobileme alias that I use as my main email address. I want to try and get rid of the main account email address and use the alias. Any thoughts? I guess I might be quicker deleting the alias and opening a new account with that address?

I think that is the only way to do it. but confirm that w apple. wouldn't want you to lose it.

sananda
Oct 13, 2011, 07:43 AM
AppleIDs - AppleIDs can be any email address. Many people used .Mac email addresses as their AppleID and then those converted to @me accounts. It doesn't matter. Apple allows you to have separate AppleIDs (not that you want it) for iTunes/App Store, FaceTime, and even iCloud.

I have a catchy five word name as itunes acct name (I don't even have to add an email at the end of it.

My Apple ID is also not an email address. When I updated my iPad and iPhone to IOS5 it asked me to update my ID to an email address. Then I was logged into the stores with that email address which is not my usual account. I logged out and logged in with my usual non email Apple ID.

I haven't set up iCloud as I'm still on Snow Leopard.

CmdrLaForge
Oct 13, 2011, 09:19 AM

Same here. My iTunes login is no email. Its just a user name. To that user name my mobile@me.com is connected. Now what ? :confused::confused:

tivoboy
Oct 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
First, thanks for putting this together.

but, WOW if it takes a masters degree to figure out and implement this stuff properly the consumers of the worlds just are NOT going to get it and will not be happy. I simply could not imagine any older relative I know being able to make sense of all this and we're moving to the state where only the young tech adopters are able to setup the FAMILY'S apple account infrastructure.

this is not a good sign.

notsofatjames
Oct 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

I'm also after this. When I try and change my primary email in AppleID settings it says that me @me.com address is an existing AppleID and I should sign in with that. But I used that @me.com address to sign in! Hopefully once this smoke has blown over Apple will release a way for us to change these.

Es Paul
Oct 13, 2011, 12:31 PM
This should be a sticky!

devman
Oct 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Well i had the same thing. Had .Mac and it was converted to MM when that service went live. But my @mac and @me have always been interchangeable. I always sign into iTunes or even Apple.com with @me but once it logs in it shows the account as @mac. Same is true if i go look at my user ID on the AppleID info page. I think that is par for the course. Even when i set up MM on my computer, the accounts setting page on my mac showed the MM account as @mac. However, if you are saying that when you send an email, it says @mac then i haven't seen that in awhile. When i send an email, it shows @me.

You are fine otherwise. Moving to iCloud will not affect it. I would simply move your MM to iCloud. Then on your device sign in with the MM credentials. Someday I am sure, Apple will update all these @me accounts that were legacy @mac accounts.

See the attached. Before iOS 5 these were @me.com Now they are @mac.com and I cannot change this. To the rest of the world, I have a new e-mail address...

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 01:09 PM
See the attached. Before iOS 5 these were @me.com Now they are @mac.com and I cannot change this. To the rest of the world, I have a new e-mail address...

devman,

As I said, mine says the same thing. Has always. But while my me account is not a problem, i did notice my mothers still says .mac. I guess there is still some kinks to be worked out but why does it matter? If everyone knows you as .me they will still send there. And if they reply to .mac it will also go to the same place.

If you are talking purely cosmetic, then is what it is for now. But functionally there is no difference.

Jbaffoh
Oct 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
I have an old mac.com account, that became the administrator for a MobileMe family account. Most of my family's ITAB purchases were on my account, using my mac.com address as the Apple ID.

I want to retain my zillion-year-old email address, while making my ITAB password available to my family so they can update our 500 apps without my needing to be there. I don't want to share my email/iCloud password, obviously.

How can I do that without (1) changing my email address, or (2) starting a new ITAB account?

----------

devman,

As I said, mine says the same thing. Has always. But while my me account is not a problem, i did notice my mothers still says .mac. I guess there is still some kinks to be worked out but why does it matter? If everyone knows you as .me they will still send there. And if they reply to .mac it will also go to the same place.

If you are talking purely cosmetic, then is what it is for now. But functionally there is no difference.

Well, it will make a huge difference to sites that verify you by your exact email address.

AxelTurbo
Oct 13, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hi guys new around here but it appears you seem to be a knowledgeable bunch of folk!

My scenario is I had an expired MobileMe account that I used to sign into icloud, it was automatically migrated. Trouble is it's been turned into it's own AppleID which comes with all the trimmings (purchased music, app associations etc.)

I've noticed that when I sign into iCloud using my current AppleID (which is my primary email address), some of the features require an @me.com email address to work (i.e. Notes). It offers the opportunity to sign up for a new @me.com email (which presumably will just be associated with my main AppleID rather than becoming one of it's own). There was no option however to associate my current mobile me email with my primary account! Very frustrating!

Many thanks in advance for further clarification,

Alex

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have an old mac.com account, that became the administrator for a MobileMe family account. Most of my family's ITAB purchases were on my account, using my mac.com address as the Apple ID.

I want to retain my zillion-year-old email address, while making my ITAB password available to my family so they can update our 500 apps without my needing to be there. I don't want to share my email/iCloud password, obviously.

How can I do that without (1) changing my email address, or (2) starting a new ITAB account?

----------

Well, it will make a huge difference to sites that verify you by your exact email address.

Thats is not possible unless you can change your iTunes AppleID to say a gmail address and it retains all the old purchase info. I know you can't go the other way but possibly you could change that account since you don't care what address its tied to. you just want the login to be different than .mac.

This is why i have been preaching to new peeps to set up a separate iTunes/appstore ID.

----------

Hi guys new around here but it appears you seem to be a knowledgeable bunch of folk!

My scenario is I had an expired MobileMe account that I used to sign into icloud, it was automatically migrated. Trouble is it's been turned into it's own AppleID which comes with all the trimmings (purchased music, app associations etc.)

I've noticed that when I sign into iCloud using my current AppleID (which is my primary email address), some of the features require an @me.com email address to work (i.e. Notes). It offers the opportunity to sign up for a new @me.com email (which presumably will just be associated with my main AppleID rather than becoming one of it's own). There was no option however to associate my current mobile me email with my primary account! Very frustrating!

Many thanks in advance for further clarification,

Alex

Wow. I am amazed at how many permutations are out there. I know Apple did a bad job but i think this may be the one time pain to get everyone straightened out moment since there is just no way they could have satisfied all these scenarios. Anyway.

1) You had a MM ID, call it MM@me.com the was activated/migrated when you signed into iCloud.
2) Now that ID also became an iTAB ID which is fine but i ask you up until then, under what account were all your purchases?
3) You say when i sign into iCloud with current AppleID - your main email, I assume this was different that the MM ID you migrated in 1) above? So call this one name@gmail.com
4) The association comments i don't get so i will attempt to rephrase. You are now logged into iCloud with the name@gmail.com account. You want to access notes and or email from the migrated MM@me.com account. All your iTAB purchases were also under the name@gmail.com account. If this is the case, I see two options:
a) Simply add the MM@me.com account as a second iCloud account under Settings. Then turn on the appropriate settings, i.e. Notes, calendar, etc
b) Make the MM@me.com account your primary iCloud account. Delete the existing iCloud account tied to name@gmail.com. Sign in under MM@me.com. Now you have all those @me services like mail and notes. Then go under Settings>Store and log in as the name@gmail.com. This will give you access to all the previously purchased iTAB content in the cloud.

Feel free to correct my assumptions and maybe we can better assist you.

AxelTurbo
Oct 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
Wow. I am amazed at how many permutations are out there. I know Apple did a bad job but i think this may be the one time pain to get everyone straightened out moment since there is just no way they could have satisfied all these scenarios. Anyway.

1) You had a MM ID, call it MM@me.com the was activated/migrated when you signed into iCloud.
Correct.

2) Now that ID also became an iTAB ID which is fine but i ask you up until then, under what account were all your purchases?
My purchases were under a different account [censored]@msn.com.

3) You say when i sign into iCloud with current AppleID - your main email, I assume this was different that the MM ID you migrated in 1) above? So call this one name@gmail.com
If I go into my iCloud settings on the iPhone (associated with my main iTAB [censored]@msn.com) I have a list of options associated with iCloud. For example I have email at the top which when I turn on allows me to create a new @me.com address, which is not satisfactory because I wanted to use my existing one. This also applies when you try to activate the notes feature as it also says you need an @me.com email address to utilise it (strangely enough).

4) The association comments i don't get so i will attempt to rephrase. You are now logged into iCloud with the name@gmail.com account. You want to access notes and or email from the migrated MM@me.com account. All your iTAB purchases were also under the name@gmail.com account. If this is the case, I see two options:
a) Simply add the MM@me.com account as a second iCloud account under Settings. Then turn on the appropriate settings, i.e. Notes, calendar, etc
b) Make the MM@me.com account your primary iCloud account. Delete the existing iCloud account tied to name@gmail.com. Sign in under MM@me.com. Now you have all those @me services like mail and notes. Then go under Settings>Store and log in as the name@gmail.com. This will give you access to all the previously purchased iTAB content in the cloud.

Feel free to correct my assumptions and maybe we can better assist you.
I think I have clarified on most of the points above, and they should also address point number 4. Reviewing your comments, option B sounds preferable. However option C whereby I can associate said @me.com address with my current Apple ID would be preferable!

Thank you very much for your help. I very much appreciate it!

dhy8386
Oct 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
Got it. I just answered on another thread. In essence, its bad verbiage and process on Apples part but since you created a new @me id for iCloud, it has to be associated with its own iCloud - and you are trying to mingle. Instead, you need to simply go into Settings>Mail, Cal, etc and add another iCloud account that you use your just migrated MM credentials to log into. You then turn on Mail under that account (and anything else i.e. contacts calendar, etc).

Then your good to go. Is the way it is. Sorry.

gtmac
Oct 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
iCloud Option 1 Note

Awesome that is exactly what I did prior to reading this and it worked great.

AxelTurbo
Oct 13, 2011, 04:45 PM
Got it. I just answered on another thread. In essence, its bad verbiage and process on Apples part but since you created a new @me id for iCloud, it has to be associated with its own iCloud - and you are trying to mingle. Instead, you need to simply go into Settings>Mail, Cal, etc and add another iCloud account that you use your just migrated MM credentials to log into. You then turn on Mail under that account (and anything else i.e. contacts calendar, etc).

Then your good to go. Is the way it is. Sorry.

Hey no need to apologise I appreciate the help. I've actually raised a ticket with apple, is it worth proceeding with it. Is there anything they're likely able to do?

N8ROD
Oct 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the post! I think I am now more than ever confused though. Lol. I have 2 iPhones and an iPad. Updated 1 phone(wife's) and the iPad to iOS 5 currently. We have forever been on one account. Name@yahoo.com. That was our iTunes app store and find my I account. When I updated I used that account for the cloud on the iPad (mine) and wife's iPhone. The problem I found was iMessages sent to my iPad would go to her phone. (due to the same account I assume?).

So I tried to decipher this thread and came to the conclusion to set her up with her own iCloud account. Me@me.com. But kept her iTunes account as our shared account. For app store and iTunes. (will this work with match when it comes out?)

Is this my best option or are their others? We are fine with sharing everything, just don't want to be getting confused with others messages not ment for each other. I would like to be able to see all my devices on find my I under one account..... Anyway, I know a lot of others are more than likely wanting to do the same thing. What is everyone else doing in this situation?

Thanks again,
Nate

DocT
Oct 13, 2011, 11:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, I know I'm getting old when this makes my head spin.
1. I have an apple Id that is abc@hotmail.com
2. I signed up for me@me.com. I have never purchased anythIng with this. All purchases are thru abc@hotmail.com.
3. The abc@hotmail.com email address is no more so the me@me.com email addy is associated with the abc@hotmail.com apple id.
4. My wife and I would like to share all purchases on the appletv2, mac pro, iPad, Mac air, Mac mini , and 2 iPhone 4s es.
5. My wife and I would like to share cal and contacts etc(just not email). I assume I use my me@me.com addy as this is my primary email addy.
6. Siri learns relationships like x="mom". If we sync contacts, will Siri know when I say "mom" that I mean my mom abd when she says it, she means her mom. The answer to this determines if we truly want to sync contacts.
7. If we use the abc@hotmail.com apple I'd but different email addies, will an imessage sent to my phone go to hers as well?

Sorry for the long post but would like to set everything up right when the phones come tomorrow. I assume I should use my me@me.com and use it for my cloud. My wife should have a different iCloud account but sane abc@hotmail.com for purchases. Is that right? Any other tiPs?

Thanks,
DocT

ICON5o2
Oct 14, 2011, 01:37 AM
Thank u for this guide!

SFStateStudent
Oct 14, 2011, 02:26 AM
Hey MODS, can this be a STICKY??? :cool:

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the post! I think I am now more than ever confused though. Lol. I have 2 iPhones and an iPad. Updated 1 phone(wife's) and the iPad to iOS 5 currently. We have forever been on one account. Name@yahoo.com. That was our iTunes app store and find my I account. When I updated I used that account for the cloud on the iPad (mine) and wife's iPhone. The problem I found was iMessages sent to my iPad would go to her phone. (due to the same account I assume?).

So I tried to decipher this thread and came to the conclusion to set her up with her own iCloud account. Me@me.com. But kept her iTunes account as our shared account. For app store and iTunes. (will this work with match when it comes out?)

Is this my best option or are their others? We are fine with sharing everything, just don't want to be getting confused with others messages not ment for each other. I would like to be able to see all my devices on find my I under one account..... Anyway, I know a lot of others are more than likely wanting to do the same thing. What is everyone else doing in this situation?

Thanks again,
Nate

I think the way you did is good. I have exact same thing. The iPad is ties to the original store account which is also the login I use. Same as you and your iPad. My wife then has her own @me. Her store account is your yahoo since that's has all the purchases.

As for iMessage you can change what account that works on. And to confuse the situation more that can be yet another email address. But at a minimum her email association under I message should her @me and you your Yahoo. As for the iPad that's up to you. You could put both your emails so both show up or give it another separate email. I suggest since this is kind of the point of iMessage its tied to one or both of you.

I think I will update the first post with some more questions and situations since they are coming up frequently.

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 05:15 AM
"Ok, I know I'm getting old when this makes my head spin.
1. I have an apple Id that is abc@hotmail.com
2. I signed up for me@me.com. I have never purchased anythIng with this. All purchases are thru abc@hotmail.com.
3. The abc@hotmail.com email address is no more so the me@me.com email addy is associated with the abc@hotmail.com apple id."

Keep in mind and I have seen this slightly confused other places that your login is still hotmail it's just that confirm emails etc would be sent to @me.

4. My wife and I would like to share all purchases on the appletv2, mac pro, iPad, Mac air, Mac mini , and 2 iPhone 4s es.
5. My wife and I would like to share cal and contacts etc(just not email). I assume I use my me@me.com addy as this is my primary email addy. Yes. You login to iCloud with this @me. As you say below, she should also set up a new ID for iCloud. She should use an @me if she wants a free email and wants to sync notes since that would be required.

6. Siri learns relationships like x="mom". If we sync contacts, will Siri know when I say "mom" that I mean my mom abd when she says it, she means her mom. The answer to this determines if we truly want to sync contacts. No one knows until phones come but it appeared Siri first asks who is your mom so maybe they could be separate? Not sure if it's tied to some field in addressbook

7. If we use the abc@hotmail.com apple I'd but different email addies, will an imessage sent to my phone go to hers as well? if you just use the hotmail for store purchases, and you each use let's say your own @me for iCloud, by default the set up should be fine. You Will not receive each others IMessage. But see post above, you can also set iMessage to something different.

Sorry for the long post but would like to set everything up right when the phones come tomorrow. I assume I should use my me@me.com and use it for my cloud. My wife should have a different iCloud account but sane abc@hotmail.com for purchases. Is that right? Any other tiPs?

Thanks,
DocT[/QUOTE]

FrankTheTankk
Oct 14, 2011, 06:43 AM
I saw you updated the first post, thanks it was helpful.

I really think mods should move this to iCloud or iOS5 section. Mods?

yalag
Oct 14, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hi you seem like an iCloud expert so I have a tricky question for you. Me and my gd used to share a MM account. It's convenient because we can see each others contacts and cal as well as share purchases. But now with I cloud what I did was kept our MM account for AppStore only and we each signed up for a new iCloud account so iMessage can make sense. However now we lost the ability to sync contacts. But after having read your thread if I understood it correctly I can basically have two iCloud accounts on our phones? So therefore maybe we can share a separate iCloud account just for contacts? Is this advisable?

Assuming that's the approach is the multi iCloud account applicable on the Mac? Because we need to sync with our macs as well.

Note we don't have the same problem with calendar because cal comes with a very nice sharing feature.

InTheAir
Oct 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
This is fantastic! THANK YOU.

Although I have one variation that I can't seem to figure out.

I'll try to simplify this:

Apple ID #1 - used on all iTunes Music/Etc.

Apple ID #2 (iCloud specific, iPhone #1) - was a MobileMe account that is now converted to iCloud - Contact, Calendar, etc.

New Apple ID # 3 (iCloud specific, iPhone #2) - new for purposes of iCloud functionality on iPhone #2

I understand that Apple ID #1 can be used on iPhone #1 and #2 for the Store (Settings > Store). This will get both phones iTunes music.

I also understand that Apple ID #2 can be used on iPhone #1 for cloud function and Apple ID #3 can be used on iPhone #2 for separate cloud function.

HOWEVER, how can iPhone #1 and iPhone #2 ~share~ a common set of Contacts and a common Calendar (I presume using iCal's sharing function) even if they have separate Apple ID's for cloud purposes?

myworld2008
Oct 14, 2011, 08:55 AM
Guys

There is tremendous confusion around how to set up iCloud given everyones Apple legacy accounts so I thought I would post a guide. Hopefully this is helpful and accurate and clear!

I know this was a long guide but hopefully it helps explain all the questions out there. If I missed any scenario, please let me know and I will add it. If I misstated anything, please let me know.

If you copy someone other forums copyrighted then Please give proper credit to them. THIS IS NOT WRITTEN BY YOU. This is from other website which you just copy and pasted here and claiming to be Yours.

So please next time make sure you give proper credit to original owner of article.

Chris Blount
Oct 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wow! What a great thread! Thanks for the info.

Question. I managed to upgrade my MM account to iCloud. Everything went smoothly except for one thing. When I open iCal on my iMac and click on "Calendars" it gives me an error message saying that my MM password may be wrong. The password is fine so it's like there is a conflict or something.

When I go to icloud.com, I can login there without an issue and I can even share out the calendars (although I can't send an invite).

Any ideas what the disconnect is between iCloud and the iMac iCal program? It's amost like the iMac missed the boat for some reason during the upgrade.

Thanks.

dlsife
Oct 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
If you use MM, it would appear that you then lose the ability to access all of your OLD purchased apps/music/etc. i.e., they won't be tied to that account.

horrible decision by apple to make people decide whether to use their current MM (and lose all of that) or stick with old AppleID and have to create a new email address. makes no sense.

maflynn
Oct 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
If you copy someone other forums copyrighted then Please give proper credit to them. THIS IS NOT WRITTEN BY YOU. This is from other website which you just copy and pasted here and claiming to be Yours.

So please next time make sure you give proper credit to original owner of article.

If you mean this article (http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/guide-appleids-mobileme-icloud-sharing)

Please scroll to the bottom of that page
http://webimg.net/icloud_author.png

HunttVillage
Oct 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
My husband and I share everything on our AppleID, but I don't need to be notified every time he dowloads an app or music... how do I turn off that notification?

Also, I keep getting this error message on iCal:
The calendar http://cal.me.com:8443/principals/users/ NUMBER WAS HERE / was not found on the server. Make sure the URL is correct.

I have checked and double checked and entered it in every feasible configuration and I still can't get it to work. HELP! :eek:

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
If you mean this article (http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/guide-appleids-mobileme-icloud-sharing)

Please scroll to the bottom of that page
Image (http://webimg.net/icloud_author.png)

Ha. Thanks. I only spent 1 hour on this so being accused of copying it makes my eyes roll.

----------

But after having read your thread if I understood it correctly I can basically have two iCloud accounts on our phones? So therefore maybe we can share a separate iCloud account just for contacts? Is this advisable?

Assuming that's the approach is the multi iCloud account applicable on the Mac? Because we need to sync with our macs as well.

The way the iPhone and Mac integrate multiple accounts works well for your purposes. You have an iCloud account and so does your gf. Each is separate. All you have to do is add each others iCloud account to your respective phones. Then you turn on her contacts and cal. He turns on your contacts and cal. In your address book app on your phone, it now has both sets of contacts integrated. same on the calendar and both cals are differentiated by color. Works same way on mac.

danckwerts
Oct 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
I have to confess that the whole ID merging business has been less of a problem than I expected. I removed my mobile me account and turned off syncing, signed up for iCloud and then re-activated my mobile me account. It's just a pity that Apple's instructions weren't a bit clearer. iCloud certainly seems a lot faster and more reliable than MM so far. :)

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 11:16 AM
HOWEVER, how can iPhone #1 and iPhone #2 ~share~ a common set of Contacts and a common Calendar (I presume using iCal's sharing function) even if they have separate Apple ID's for cloud purposes?

Look at my iCloud Option 2 in my guide on the first page. Read including the Note section on SHARING. That explains it all.

----------

My husband and I share everything on our AppleID, but I don't need to be notified every time he dowloads an app or music... how do I turn off that notification?

I didn't realize it sends you a notification? As in notification center notification? Or do you mean an email from iTunes saying you purchased something? Or Do you mean when he downloads something it appear on your phone too and you don't want this?

cleung
Oct 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for such a great article. However, I'm still a bit confused. All my accounts are for my own use and I'm not sharing with anyone. It mostly has to do with my songs in iTunes.

I started with .Mac and moved onto MM when MM was launched. I now use MM for everything -- e-mail, contacts, calendar, iTunes purchases, etc. However, before 2008, I used another name@domain.com address as my iTunes account. And on top of it, I have another name@gmail.com iTunes account for access to the Italian iTunes store. I have songs purchased from all three iTunes account on my iTunes now and everything is on my iphone. My understanding is that you cannot merge your iTunes account. So if I use my MM for my iTAB account, does it mean that none of my songs purchased from my name@domain.com or name@gmail.com would be on my iDevices?

Thanks!

SaintsMac
Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for this awesome guide!

kas23
Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the guide. Good job!

Has anyone else had any problems pulling their Notes off of iCloud? I had notes on my old iPhone 4 and made an iCloud account for this ld phone yesterday. When I put this very same iCloud account on my new iPhone, everything populates except for Notes, which remain blank.

HunttVillage
Oct 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
Look at my iCloud Option 2 in my guide on the first page. Read including the Note section on SHARING. That explains it all.

----------

I didn't realize it sends you a notification? As in notification center notification? Or do you mean an email from iTunes saying you purchased something? Or Do you mean when he downloads something it appear on your phone too and you don't want this?

Like every time my husband downloads an app or music, I get a little "reminder" type thing that says, essentially, an app was downloaded, and do i want to download it to my device.

yalag
Oct 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
Ha. Thanks. I only spent 1 hour on this so being accused of copying it makes my eyes roll.

----------

The way the iPhone and Mac integrate multiple accounts works well for your purposes. You have an iCloud account and so does your gf. Each is separate. All you have to do is add each others iCloud account to your respective phones. Then you turn on her contacts and cal. He turns on your contacts and cal. In your address book app on your phone, it now has both sets of contacts integrated. same on the calendar and both cals are differentiated by color. Works same way on mac.

Works same way on the mac. But how do I add it? Do I uncheck contacts in the iCloud panel and then manually add an icloud account in the contacts app?

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for such a great article. However, I'm still a bit confused. All my accounts are for my own use and I'm not sharing with anyone. It mostly has to do with my songs in iTunes.

I started with .Mac and moved onto MM when MM was launched. I now use MM for everything -- e-mail, contacts, calendar, iTunes purchases, etc. However, before 2008, I used another name@domain.com address as my iTunes account. And on top of it, I have another name@gmail.com iTunes account for access to the Italian iTunes store. I have songs purchased from all three iTunes account on my iTunes now and everything is on my iphone. My understanding is that you cannot merge your iTunes account. So if I use my MM for my iTAB account, does it mean that none of my songs purchased from my name@domain.com or name@gmail.com would be on my iDevices?

Thanks!

See my Scenario 2 in the guide. Basically, you consolidate in ITunes on desktop and then it seems it may be advisable to pick one store account going forward.

----------

Works same way on the mac. But how do I add it? Do I uncheck contacts in the iCloud panel and then manually add an icloud account in the contacts app?

No. Simply go into Settings>Mail, Cal etc on your device and add an iCloud account. Enter the other persons iCloud login info. Once you do, you'll have the option of turning on the other persons Mail, Contacts, Cal, Etc. Pick whichever you want to see on your device.

----------

Like every time my husband downloads an app or music, I get a little "reminder" type thing that says, essentially, an app was downloaded, and do i want to download it to my device.

Never have seen that before. Sorry. Can you take a screenshot and post? Next time it pops up, hold down the sleep button and power button at same time. This will take screen shot. Then take that file and post it here.

cleung
Oct 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=dhy8386;13611138]See my Scenario 2 in the guide. Basically, you consolidate in ITunes on desktop and then it seems it may be advisable to pick one store account going forward.[COLOR="#808080"]

Sorry if I'm a bit slow today. I've already done that and it has been that way for years since I stopped using my name@domain.com account. I pretty much only use my MM account for everything since 2008. If I've already done that, does it mean that everything on my desktop iTunes account will sync to itunes in the cloud even though they are purchased with different apple ids?

TomH TX
Oct 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
dhy8386:
First of all, thanks for the effort, and guide. I have read the WHOLE thing, and all 3 pages of posts. However, I still have two items of concern/confusion:
1. Your Guide refers at one point to a Scenario 3, relating to separate itunes and mm accts, but there is in fact no Scenario 3 in your guide. Did I miss something?
2. I have a gmail TAB acct, and a functional and current mm acct, which I use for synching all of my stuff. It appears that for me to "migrate", I just need to "move" the mm acct, using the pw associated with the acct. However, I have seen a couple of posts, including one in this thread, which refer to having to first "remove" the existing mm acct, and then essentially reinstall it, to make this all work. ??? is that really necessary, or do I just go in through my existing mm, and use "move".
Sincere thanks,
Tom

notnat
Oct 14, 2011, 03:34 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can change the master iCloud account?

I'm asking because my sister's iPhone wrongly took my Apple ID as her master account (even though she typed her own during setup). Now we both share the same master account, and as I understood, we are bound to share photo stream, settings, etc, which we do NOT want to do! O.O

We can't find any option to change the master account on the phone, only to delete it (or to create new secondary account, which doesn't solve our problem). And when she chooses to delete it, the system warns her that stuff might get deleted. Does anyone know which stuff might get deleted if one deletes their master iCloud account?

Neither of us has performed any backup. Only she opened her Weather app and all MY cities are now displaying there. Contacts, messages and mail seem to be ok.

Any clues? Thank you very much for any kind of help! :)

dhy8386
Oct 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
[
First of all, thanks for the effort, and guide. I have read the WHOLE thing, and all 3 pages of posts. However, I still have two items of concern/confusion:
1. Your Guide refers at one point to a Scenario 3, relating to separate itunes and mm accts, but there is in fact no Scenario 3 in your guide. Did I miss something?
Oops. Never wrote it. Will have to do that.

2. I have a gmail TAB acct, and a functional and current mm acct, which I use for synching all of my stuff. It appears that for me to "migrate", I just need to "move" the mm acct, using the pw associated with the acct. However, I have seen a couple of posts, including one in this thread, which refer to having to first "remove" the existing mm acct, and then essentially reinstall it, to make this all work. ??? is that really necessary, or do I just go in through my existing mm, and use "move".
Sincere thanks,
Tom

When you say migrate i assume you mean to iCloud? Its straight forward. Just go to iCloud.com, enter your MM credentials, it will recognize you haven't migrated and walk you through process. When its converted, then just set up iCloud on your device by entering your MM credentials for iCloud and then going into the Store settings and changing it back to gmail.

I assume you are using Lion on your Mac? Just want to makes sure cause iCloud won't work on 10.6.x

----------

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can change the master iCloud account?

Im hesitant to give you an answer unless I understand exactly what you did sooo...see question below.

Normally, just delete it under iCloud. Where did the contacts and stuff come from? Obviously it has to me MM since any other non @me ID would not have any personal info associated with it? Regardless, even if MM, deleting it won't delete all the stuff on your MM (or hopefully now converted to iCloud) account. Its just deleting it on the phone.

If you have entered data on the phone you want to stay on the phone, thats not somewhere else in the cloud (google, yahoo), then let it leave it on phone when asked.

TomH TX
Oct 14, 2011, 03:56 PM
I am indeed using Mac OSX 10.7.2.
I truly appreciate the help, and responses.
I have held off from migrating to icloud because of all of the concerns about "losing" emails, contacts, etc...., when MM is working just fine, but may have to "push the button" this weekend.
Thanks again.
Tom

notnat
Oct 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
Im hesitant to give you an answer unless I understand exactly what you did sooo...see question below.

Normally, just delete it under iCloud. Where did the contacts and stuff come from? Obviously it has to me MM since any other non @me ID would not have any personal info associated with it? Regardless, even if MM, deleting it won't delete all the stuff on your MM (or hopefully now converted to iCloud) account. Its just deleting it on the phone.

If you have entered data on the phone you want to stay on the phone, thats not somewhere else in the cloud (google, yahoo), then let it leave it on phone when asked.

Thanks for the answer! :)

Let's see if I can make it clear:
- I installed iOS 5 on my iPhone. When prompted for an account to associate with iCloud, I used my Store account (a gmail address, I have no MM).
- My sister installed iOS 5 on her iPhone. When asked to chose an iCoud account, she chose HER Store account (also a gmail address), but instead her iPhone shows MY Store/iCloud account as her iCloud account. She was able to input her store account as a secondary iCloud account and as her store account, but not as her primary iCloud account.

When I go to icloud.com, the contacts displayed are mine. On my phone, contacts are ok, on her phone, her contacts are ok.

I just realized both of us have the option "documents and data" turned on, meaning we both allowed for apps to sync data with iCloud. That probably explains why our Weather apps are now merged...

My doubt is: by deleting my iCloud account from her phone (in order to try and start over with her own correct account), I think I won't be affected at all (since, as you said, everything on the cloud stays on the cloud), but will SHE lose anything on her phone as well? The message says something like "if you delete your account, all documents stored on iCloud will be erased from this phone". I mean, if it's just the Weather app info, it's fine, but... I'm not sure about the rest, hehe.

I'm guessing we won't have any other option but delete the account, since there is no way to just start using a different master account, right?

Thanks again, and by the way - this thread is fabulous! As soon as we get to separate out master accounts, we can configure it the right way, yay! :D

Chris Blount
Oct 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wow! What a great thread! Thanks for the info.

Question. I managed to upgrade my MM account to iCloud. Everything went smoothly except for one thing. When I open iCal on my iMac and click on "Calendars" it gives me an error message saying that my MM password may be wrong. The password is fine so it's like there is a conflict or something.

When I go to icloud.com, I can login there without an issue and I can even share out the calendars (although I can't send an invite).

Any ideas what the disconnect is between iCloud and the iMac iCal program? It's amost like the iMac missed the boat for some reason during the upgrade.

Thanks.

For all who care, the problem was that I didn't upgrade to Lion 10.7.2 before going to iCloud. Dopey me.

jbg232
Oct 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
Not that this doesn't work as a sticky, but maybe it should be made into a guide so that it can be edited in the future if things change. Just an idea for any takers...

paulold
Oct 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Is there any way you could create a guide like this for individuals instead of families or people sharing IDs? It's just me here with a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone and I need a guide for setting up iCloud/iMessage with all my devices.

I have been using a really old address as my main Apple ID to do all my song/app purchasing. I did sign up for MobileMe back when it was .Mac, so I have a .Mac/.Me Apple ID as well. I am actually waiting right now to chat with Apple Support to totally cancel my MobileMe cause it's really confusing me as I try to set up everything with iCloud.

I have somehow created two iCloud accounts - one for my iTunes account and one for my MobileMe account (which was created when I moved my MobileMe to iCloud). I just want one Apple ID, one billing account, one iCloud.

But I also have to figure out how to set up my devices to work best with iMessage since even my old iPhone was somehow getting messages from my friend even though I had already switched to my 4S. How does it know which device to send the message to?

Do I need to setup a new email address for each device like xxxxiPhone@aol.com and xxxxiPad@aol.com to keep iMessage in line and so that my friend can know which device he is contacting?

I am so confused and tired.

Slip Jigs
Oct 15, 2011, 02:22 AM
I am so confused and tired.

Me too, and I haven't even started yet. I'm just updated iTunes, now I'm on to my devices. I appreciate the effort of the OP in writing the User Guide, but frankly, I feel more confused than when before I read through it. My starting place is not unique in that all I'm currently familiar with is what I already have in place. What that is doesn't matter, but it falls within the scope of a brand new user with no existing Apple IDs for iTunes, the Store, the Forums or any .mac or MM accounts - to those with several IDs and MM Family plans and so on.

So while these scenarios do appear to have a wide variance, the list still if finite, and that's where I suggest the How To Guide should start. I'm sorry if all this sounds critical, but I also have suggestions.

First, don't be afraid to make it simple. You're not going to insult anyone's intelligence. The guide should identify a scenario, then provide a walk-through of what to do along with any options. Start with a comprehensive list of scenarios, then refine that list by grouping them according to their solutions. I recognize that that's sort of how it's set up, but it's written more like a reference than a how to.

I think, once the short list of scenarios is created. it will be easy for anyone to spot which one they belong to, and easily configure their services. Also, it wouldn't hurt to define some of the acronyms by spelling out the words along with the acronym the first two or three times theiy're used.

Well, gotta reboot then update the iPhone!

dhy8386
Oct 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
Is there any way you could create a guide like this for individuals instead of families or people sharing IDs? It's just me here with a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone and I need a guide for setting up iCloud/iMessage with all my devices.

To this point and the poster below you, my intention wasn't to create an Apple Support document. If you go to the Apple support website, there are actually some good resources for walking you through iCloud setup. What Apple did not do however, was contemplate the multi device multi family environment which is much more confusing than the single user use cases. I will go find some links and include them in the OP - EDIT - OP updates with some useful links.

I have somehow created two iCloud accounts - one for my iTunes account and one for my MobileMe account (which was created when I moved my MobileMe to iCloud). I just want one Apple ID, one billing account, one iCloud.

You can create 50 iCloud accounts. It doesn't matter. Just use the iCloud account that matches your store AppleID (i.e. name@gmail.com) and cancel your MobileMe service.

How does it know which device to send the message to?

iMessage can be tied to a phone number and any AppleID you want. It could be one or three. It could be your iCloud ID or something different. In Settings>MEssages, you will see that you have the option to associate it with whatever AppleID you want.

Do I need to setup a new email address for each device like xxxxiPhone@aol.com and xxxxiPad@aol.com to keep iMessage in line and so that my friend can know which device he is contacting?

Actually its the complete opposite. The point of iMessage and one of the benefits is that you only need one associating ID for all your devices. That way if your friend just iMessages you (and lets say you have decided to use your name@gmail.com ID as the iMEssage ID on all iDevices) to the one ID, it will show up on all devices.

----------

So while these scenarios do appear to have a wide variance, the list still if finite, and that's where I suggest the How To Guide should start. I'm sorry if all this sounds critical, but I also have suggestions.

Appreciate the suggestions but you are misinterpreting why I wrote this. It wasn't to be a 4 page how to. It was to address the hole apple created in the family multi device multi id environment. If people actually take time to go to Apples website, there are very detailed walk throughs of some basic iCloud and iOS5 setups. Im trying to fill in the holes. And I have been helping people out on these boards for four days and I can tell you I have come across probably 12 different variations and use cases. Simply not the scope of the OP to address every one. I am sorry i cannot do that. Just don't have the time.

am2am
Oct 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
Great guide - thanks
I believe there are at least two consequences of selecting option 2 which we have to remember about:
1. you will have only one 5GB iCloude storage for the family as you will have one shared main icloud (if you have separate main accounts you have multiple storage spaces)
2. All bookmarks will be shared (only main iCloud account supports bookmarks) - if you don't want it you must keep separate primary iCloud accounts

dhy8386
Oct 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Great guide - thanks
I believe there are at least two consequences of selecting option 2 which we have to remember about:
1. you will have only one 5GB iCloude storage for the family as you will have one shared main icloud (if you have separate main accounts you have multiple storage spaces)
2. All bookmarks will be shared (only main iCloud account supports bookmarks) - if you don't want it you must keep separate primary iCloud accounts

Yup. Thats a great point for people who decide they want to backup their devices to iCloud. Those backups take up a ton of space. I will add that now as its very important to note.

kriista1234
Oct 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
Great guide!

Has anyone figured out how to use older devices at the same time as new devices?

I have an iMac and Macbook both with Lion, then an iPad2 with iOS5, my phone, however, is an iPhone 3G on iOS4.

Is it possible to cloud sync all the new stuff, but for my iPhone to sync to the same data through iTunes?

It seems crazy to me that iCloud is a different set of data, rather than a way to sync the same data. (I freaked out when I opened iCal and saw two of everything!)

CmdrLaForge
Oct 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
Great guide!

Has anyone figured out how to use older devices at the same time as new devices?

I have an iMac and Macbook both with Lion, then an iPad2 with iOS5, my phone, however, is an iPhone 3G on iOS4.

Is it possible to cloud sync all the new stuff, but for my iPhone to sync to the same data through iTunes?

It seems crazy to me that iCloud is a different set of data, rather than a way to sync the same data. (I freaked out when I opened iCal and saw two of everything!)

I have like many an iPhone 3G, iPad 1, MBP w/ Lion and I am a long time MM user. For now I just upgraded the MBP to 10.7.2 and left the iDevices at iOS4 as I don't now if iOS5 works nice with MM. I have to continue using MM Calendar and Address Book as my iPhone3G cannot be upgraded to iOS5.

So basically just upgrading the MBP works fine.

notnat
Oct 15, 2011, 02:32 PM
Update!

My sister deleted my account on her phone, and set up a new iCloud account for her. Everything looks fine (contacts, settings, etc, are all ok) - the only visible exception is her Weather app - it reverted to an apparently clean one. She lost both MY cities (which came from syncing with my ID) and HER cities (which were set on her phone to begin with). Weird.

That's not a terrible loss, but if I want to delete my iCloud account on my phone in order to start over with a new iCloud account (just because I actually wanted a new iCloud ID, instead of using my Store ID for both), I suspect my losses would be bigger, no? I figure I'll lose contacts and app data because those are now associated with my iCloud... I think. Not sure.

I'm not really sure I want to try this one out and see what happens. ;)

Thank you for your help and congrats again on the sticky - you've been very helpful!

chachster
Oct 15, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just confirming if I have this right.

I currently have a legacy username, not email address as my apple id that I use to purchase with.

I have a few mobile me accounts for the family.

I want to ensure that what I purchase is shared on my iPhones, iPods, iOtherDevices.

Convert my legacy username only to my primary Mobile Me @me.com address (first have to change me @gmail email on my account to the @me.com address)

Then use a separate mobile me for my contacts, mail, etc.
Then use a separate mobile me for my wife's contacts, mail ,etc

Then associate both on each to share contacts without sharing mail?

I just want to make sure I am going through the proper steps as this doesn't make apparent sense right off the start (well at least to me)

Basically I just want the apple store, iTunes, Apps, etc ($ purchases) account on all the devices and then some shared and some separate iCloud shared stuff

Eldiablojoe
Oct 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
dhy8386, your OP is a great post! I am hoping you could elaborate on the steps necessary to follow Scenario 2, iCloud Option 3. How exactly do I unify the purchases in iTunes? Do I reauthorize all devices (via iTunes -> Store -> Authorize This Computer) or do I just make sure I can sign into all three of our iTunes accounts on the same computer.

It's the smaller, basic steps I'm missing. I'm afraid of jacking this whole thing up.

Thanks!!

Currently, we have the three iTunes accounts (mine, hers, and ours with a now defunct old email addy), plus 4 iDevices (her iPhone 4, her iPad2, my iPhone 4, and my iPad1) and they all sync to my iTunes account via my MacBook running Lion. I also have a MM account that I use to sync my Notes, Calendar, and Contacts, but not my primary email which gets pushed to my devices via gmail.

We each have our separate Apple IDs, and I have a MM ID that is different than my Apple ID. My MM ID is now also my iCloud ID. Her Apple ID is also her iTAB and iCloud ID.

Hope this is enough information.

thomamon
Oct 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Great guide!!!

Slip Jigs
Oct 15, 2011, 10:58 PM
Appreciate the suggestions but you are misinterpreting why I wrote this. It wasn't to be a 4 page how to. It was to address the hole apple created in the family multi device multi id environment. If people actually take time to go to Apples website, there are very detailed walk throughs of some basic iCloud and iOS5 setups. Im trying to fill in the holes. And I have been helping people out on these boards for four days and I can tell you I have come across probably 12 different variations and use cases. Simply not the scope of the OP to address every one. I am sorry i cannot do that. Just don't have the time.

Fair enough. Having read through the thread again, I wonder if you could clarify something for me, something that you have answered several times in various ways and that seems to be a common issue.

Like many, I had an existing AppleID (email address) before MM came along. After someone hacked my account, realized I could change the email address, thus changing my Apple ID. However, it would not accept my MM address, as it was considered an ID already in use. So, as far as Apple is concerned, these were two unique iTunes store accounts.

I have set up iCloud on my device using my original ID, and if I understand your instructions correctly, all I have to do is "migrate" my MM account to my iCloud account. If that's correct, then this migration creates a link between the two accounts, and Apple knows they are both "me". And how solid is this link? in other words, as iTunes store account go, do both become one? Or, is it more of a soft association within only the device?

Maybe it's because I was hacked that I don't trust this process. To get into my account, all they had to do was enter my email and birthdate to change the password, then change the email address. So depending on this linkage between accounts, it could mean that now there's yet another avenue into my "real" account - and that's the one that holds the credit card. It would be so much easier just to be able to change the email address to my MM address. One email, one Apple ID, one account. Simple.

dhy8386
Oct 15, 2011, 11:26 PM
Like many, I had an existing AppleID (email address) before MM came along. After someone hacked my account, realized I could change the email address, thus changing my Apple ID. However, it would not accept my MM address, as it was considered an ID already in use. So, as far as Apple is concerned, these were two unique iTunes store accounts.

Just to be clear. You had an original AppleID. You were hacked, ok. You changed it and it is now, lets say for example, name@gmail.com. Additionally, you had also created a MM account, call it name@me.com. After your hacking, Apple would not let you change your iTAB (iTunes/app store) ID to your MM address thus you kept it at gmail. But your MM address is not a Store account correct? Meaning all your purchases are under gmail and your MM @me address if for personal stuff like email, cal, contacts. Is this correct?

I have set up iCloud on my device using my original ID, and if I understand your instructions correctly, all I have to do is "migrate" my MM account to my iCloud account. If that's correct, then this migration creates a link between the two accounts, and Apple knows they are both "me". And how solid is this link? in other words, as iTunes store account go, do both become one? Or, is it more of a soft association within only the device?

Assuming I am correct on the above, what you are saying here is that you created your master iCloud account with the name@gmail.com address, yes? And now you are considering migrating MM to iCloud. But when you say this creates a link, i am not sure I follow. Of course Apple knows you have multiple IDs but its not like your MM ID is tied to your name@gmail ID in any way. They may be tied to you as a person but I can't see how hacking one would affect the other. In all fairness, I have not looked at the AppleID support page where you can login to see your account. But I don't remember seeing my multiple IDs rolled up anywhere. They are all separate logins.

So your store account we are calling, name@gmail.com, remains isolated and tied to all your purchases. Now, if you do want to move your MM to iCloud you should do that. And if you want your iDevice to house all your old MM data - email, contacts, cal - then there are two ways to do it. I mention this in my guide but essentially you can 1) Delete the master iCloud account your created with the name@gmail.com login and redo the iCloud setup using your MM credentials (after you have migrated the account). Then, to get your store purchases accessible from the device, go into Settings>Store and logout of the MM account (which it will have created by default) and login with the name@gmail OR 2) Leave it as is, but then under Settings>Mail, add another iCloud account, your migrated MM, by entering your MM credentials. Then turn on Mail, Cal, Contacts under that account.

Unfortunately, if you want to maintain a @me address, and you didn't originally set up your iTunes store account with an @me address, you cannot have a true unified account. Apple will not let you migrate the @me account over the name@gmail.com account. You will have to have both on the device. That said, as I mentioned, i don't see how someone hacks your MM for example and therefore has access to your name@gmail.com

But I def could be wrong on this so someone else can confirm or correct.

Tilpots
Oct 16, 2011, 12:04 AM
How do I get the xxxxx@me.com email address to disassociate from my xxxxx@gmail.com address. I want to associate the xxxxx@gmail.com with yyyyy@me.com?

Great thread and thanks!!!

flatfoot99
Oct 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
If a family was just starting from scratch (most of our purchases were done with my apple id, so we could take the hit and repurchase), what would be the ideal scenerio?

Im guessing 1??? We will lose photostream sharing, but I got to think that will be allowed in the future?

another question is, will game progress saved across multiple devices be possible with icloud? (does it already do that?) For instance, im playing infinity blade on my iphone and continue it on my ipad when I get home. If this option ever exists, it will most certainly not work with scenario 2?

sorry for my rambling thoughts...

jent
Oct 16, 2011, 05:37 PM
Great post! I'd like to post my situation and get some feedback.

For app and music purchases I have a legacy account, which is just a username (not an email address). I also have MobileMe which I'm using for syncing. I'm currently running Snow Leopard and iOS 4.

Is it better to have everything under one account (which would have to be the legacy account since I've used it to buy my apps, which would also mean I have to change the username to a full email address), or keep my purchasing account and my syncing account separate (à la MobileMe, before iCloud)?

Going the latter route, which address would I have to give to people for iMessage and FaceTime? Could I tie both accounts to them so that people could call me on both? Could I specify one or the other?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a single account, and well as two separate accounts? Thank you!

str8up
Oct 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
Read through the guides and all posts and still unsure of how I should configure iCloud for my wife and I.

Here's what we have:
Her - iPhone 4S
Me - iPhone 4S
Shared Ipad 2

Here's what I want and how I did it:
All 3 devices (maybe more later) to share all purchases (apps, music, books, etc.) - I set all 3 devices to share the same Apple ID in the store setting.
Both our iPhones to have it's own contacts, calendar, reminders, notes, mail, bookmarks synced with iCloud. - Each phone has it's own iCloud account.

What I can't figure out is how to have one Apple ID for the Find My iPhone feature so that we can both use that to locate all our devices. Also a little unsure of how iMessage plays into this as well. It would be nice if the photos we took on our iPhones gets shared to the iPad also, but that's not as important right now.

Thanks!!

flatfoot99
Oct 16, 2011, 06:21 PM
iTunes Match is also tied to the iTAB ID. So for example, if you have uploaded your entire library via iTunes Match, which was inclusive of songs purchased through iTunes and songs ripped via other means, all your music is now stored in the cloud [dont think iCloud though]. If you want that available, you have to turn on iTunes Match on the iDevice. BUT THIS HAS CONSEQUENCES. Turning on Match will wipe clean your current Music library on your iDevice. Instead, your Music app (not the iTunes app) will show all the same songs you just wiped (assuming it matched 100%) except that they will all be available for download. Meaning, you will need to redownload all the songs you want in your library. Each family member can do this or not do this as again, Match is tied into the ITAB ID. Each family member can also choose to download whichever songs they want. They will not be synced across devices.

Dyy8386 (thanks again for all your work!)

Will we be able to have multiple itab ids tied to this? If not, im not leaning on the fence anymore.... me and the wife will have to have 1 itunes account.

dhy8386
Oct 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Dyy8386 (thanks again for all your work!)

Will we be able to have multiple itab ids tied to this? If not, im not leaning on the fence anymore.... me and the wife will have to have 1 itunes account.

iTunes Match is tied to an iTAB ID so you can't mix and match directly. But, what you can do is add multiple computers to iTunes Match under the same account or fill your library with multiple iTAB account music and then do your iTunes Match under the main iTab you want to use going forward. In other words, pack your library with all your music, then make sure you are signed in under the proper iTab before you will kick off match. The other option or scenario is that you have multiple computer with multiple iTAB Ids (home computer, wife computer, kid computer). You can also add multiple computers to iTunes Match, but again you will have to be logged into the main iTAB account before you start Match so it all goes to the same place.

Make sense?

Of course all subject to change since its not out yet.

----------

If a family was just starting from scratch (most of our purchases were done with my apple id, so we could take the hit and repurchase), what would be the ideal scenerio?

Im guessing 1??? We will lose photostream sharing, but I got to think that will be allowed in the future?

Without going into the pros and cons of all options, i would think photo stream would at some point be allowed to access multiple accounts but maybe not. I prefer option 1. One iTab account, multiple iCloud IDs so that everyone gets their 5 free GB of storage. While it may seem like a good idea to share one account for photostreaming, having played with it, not sure that is as important as the fact that the pics are all just autosaved in the cloud in case of disaster.

To your point about auto game saving and doc syncing, to me that would be messy if everyone shared 1 iCloud. I think it can be done, game saving, but up to the developers to implement.

No need to repurchase all your music unless you don't want your family to have access to your iCloud as well (meaning, you use the same iTAB ID for you as your iCloud).

----------

Is it better to have everything under one account (which would have to be the legacy account since I've used it to buy my apps, which would also mean I have to change the username to a full email address), or keep my purchasing account and my syncing account separate (à la MobileMe, before iCloud)?

Not sure one is better that other. If its just you, you could just keep it consistent and unified, one ID to rule them all. Keep in mind though, iCloud will not work on SL so you will need to upgrade to Lion 10.7.2 as well as migrate your MM account to iCloud - assuming you want to continue a legacy MM account as your iCloud ID.

Going the latter route, which address would I have to give to people for iMessage and FaceTime? Could I tie both accounts to them so that people could call me on both? Could I specify one or the other?

iMessage and FaceTime can be given any ID you want as well as multiple IDs. You could give it your iTAB, MM, Yahoo, and GMAIL AppleIds (if you actually had 4 of them) if you wanted to. This can all be set in the settings. It doesn't matter which one you pick, but if you want consistency across your iDevices, just pick the same one.

jent
Oct 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
iMessage and FaceTime can be given any ID you want as well as multiple IDs. You could give it your iTAB, MM, Yahoo, and GMAIL AppleIds (if you actually had 4 of them) if you wanted to. This can all be set in the settings. It doesn't matter which one you pick, but if you want consistency across your iDevices, just pick the same one.
Can you also choose which appears when making an outgoing FaceTime call or composing an outgoing iMessage?

dhy8386
Oct 17, 2011, 07:38 AM
Can you also choose which appears when making an outgoing FaceTime call or composing an outgoing iMessage?

I assume so. Best to try it.

Slip Jigs
Oct 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
Just to be clear. You had an original AppleID. You were hacked, ok. You changed it and it is now, lets say for example, name@gmail.com. Additionally, you had also created a MM account, call it name@me.com. After your hacking, Apple would not let you change your iTAB (iTunes/app store) ID to your MM address thus you kept it at gmail. But your MM address is not a Store account correct? Meaning all your purchases are under gmail and your MM @me address if for personal stuff like email, cal, contacts. Is this correct?

Assuming I am correct on the above, what you are saying here is that you created your master iCloud account with the name@gmail.com address, yes? And now you are considering migrating MM to iCloud. But when you say this creates a link, i am not sure I follow. Of course Apple knows you have multiple IDs but its not like your MM ID is tied to your name@gmail ID in any way. They may be tied to you as a person but I can't see how hacking one would affect the other. In all fairness, I have not looked at the AppleID support page where you can login to see your account. But I don't remember seeing my multiple IDs rolled up anywhere. They are all separate logins.

So your store account we are calling, name@gmail.com, remains isolated and tied to all your purchases. Now, if you do want to move your MM to iCloud you should do that. And if you want your iDevice to house all your old MM data - email, contacts, cal - then there are two ways to do it. I mention this in my guide but essentially you can 1) Delete the master iCloud account your created with the name@gmail.com login and redo the iCloud setup using your MM credentials (after you have migrated the account). Then, to get your store purchases accessible from the device, go into Settings>Store and logout of the MM account (which it will have created by default) and login with the name@gmail OR 2) Leave it as is, but then under Settings>Mail, add another iCloud account, your migrated MM, by entering your MM credentials. Then turn on Mail, Cal, Contacts under that account.

Unfortunately, if you want to maintain a @me address, and you didn't originally set up your iTunes store account with an @me address, you cannot have a true unified account. Apple will not let you migrate the @me account over the name@gmail.com account. You will have to have both on the device. That said, as I mentioned, i don't see how someone hacks your MM for example and therefore has access to your name@gmail.com

But I def could be wrong on this so someone else can confirm or correct.

Yep, you got it right 100%. I did the migration from MM to iCloud, and set up my iCloud account on both my devices using my MM, or as it is now iCloud email address. I kept my original Apple ID as the store login. So it's the device that serves as the hub and the link beetween accounts exists only on the device. So that's fine.

Thank you for your help.

And by the way, the migration added the 20GB of MM storage to the base 5GB of iCloud storage.

jay06340
Oct 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, you got it right 100%. I did the migration from MM to iCloud, and set up my iCloud account on both my devices using my MM, or as it is now iCloud email address. I kept my original Apple ID as the store login. So it's the device that serves as the hub and the link beetween accounts exists only on the device. So that's fine.

Thank you for your help.

And by the way, the migration added the 20GB of MM storage to the base 5GB of iCloud storage.

First of all, i'm a french and i'm sorry for my level of English...

I have a MM account that I want to migrate on iCloud.

I have some questions about this migration.

For that I understood :

1/ I have to go on www.me.com/move to migrate my account.
2/ I have now MM active both on my mac (10.7.2) et iPhone (iOs 5) to synchronize, Contact and Calendars.
3/ What I have to do on my Mac and my iPhone for my MM account ? Delete MM account before install iCloud account (System Preference/iCloud on iMac et Preference/iCloud on iPhone) or i can have both MM and iCloud active on Mac and iPhone simultaneously ?
4/ On my iPhone, in Setup / Mail, Contact, Calendar, I can delete my MM account and register my iCloud account, but for the iMac, where it is ??
5/ I have all my contacts and calendars synchronize on my iPhone thanks to MM and I really don't want to lost them during the migration!!

Thanks U all in advance and sorry for Shakespeare's language.. :-)

Waffmeister
Oct 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
I messed up when first setting up my devices using the @me.com address and then changing to my @name.com Apple ID, nothing worked... so my solution was to reset all of my iDevices and use the @me.com ID that was created. Looks like everything is working this time around, but I guess I'll be stuck with the old ID for app updates for the rest of my life...

flatfoot99
Oct 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
I started a new thread, but might be better here with the experts....

Me and the wife share the same apple id but have different icloud accounts. We both have an iphone and ipad. I have all the options checked, but some apps download to all devices while others only download to some devices or none at all. Is this a screw up on my part having seperate icloud accounts, or is apple still ironing out the bugs?

Did you test your scenarios with "automatic downloads"? Will they only work if you share an icloud address, or is apple still ironing out the bugs?

tivoboy
Oct 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Is it possible to do the MobileMe transition to icloud even for computers that are still using snow leopard, or does it have to be lion upgraded?

I used MM to sync my iCal, contacts to my Mobile Me and then sync to two ios devices, which all works very well, but I don't want to have to upgrade my daily driver laptop YET to lion.

IC3D
Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I lost my Apple id to an e-mail address, and I am not happy about it.

gianly1985
Oct 19, 2011, 05:29 AM
The most versatile setup imho: 3 AppleIDs per user. (1 being shared)

1) 1st AppleID ("The Store") ----> shared or sharable in the future
- iTunes Store (+ iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match)
- MacAppStore
- iBookstore (uhm...what about iBooks bookmarks?)
- Apple Store online, retail, support, etc.

2) 2nd AppleID ("The Cloud")
- iCloud (Contacts, Calendars, Photo Stream, Documents & Data, Storage & Backup, Bookmarks, Reminders, Notes, Find My iPhone, Find My Mac, Back to my Mac)

3) 3rd AppleID ("The Publicly Known")
- Facetime
- iMessage
- iChat
- your public email

it feels kinda safer to keep 1 and 2 private. to hack them, people will have to guess both the appleID and the password.

Keeping 1 separated from 2 can also be a "just in case" kinda choice. What do you have to lose by doing it, after all?

flatfoot99
Oct 19, 2011, 07:35 AM
The most versatile setup imho: 3 AppleIDs per user. (1 being shared)

1) 1st AppleID ("The Store") ----> shared or sharable in the future
- iTunes Store (+ iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match)
- MacAppStore
- iBookstore (uhm...what about iBooks bookmarks?)
- Apple Store online, retail, support, etc.

2) 2nd AppleID ("The Cloud")
- iCloud (Contacts, Calendars, Photo Stream, Documents & Data, Storage & Backup, Bookmarks, Reminders, Notes, Find My iPhone, Find My Mac, Back to my Mac)

3) 3rd AppleID ("The Publicly Known")
- Facetime
- iMessage
- iChat
- your public email

it feels kinda safer to keep 1 and 2 private. to hack them, people will have to guess both the appleID and the password.

Keeping 1 separated from 2 can also be a "just in case" kinda choice. What do you have to lose by doing it, after all?

good idea! does it work?

gianly1985
Oct 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
good idea! does it work?

No reason why it shouldn't. Both OSX Lion and iOS5 are multiAppleID-friendly. You just have to be careful about where to insert what. (instead of the convenience of just having to remember 1 appleID and 1 password, which anyway is probably the best scenario for regular non-techsavvy non privacy-paranoid users)

One could even add a 4th AppleID to use just for GameCenter...maybe you wanna be private about what games you play or at what time of the day you play, besides GameCenter exposes your full name (to everyone or just to gamecenter-friends, depending on the settings) and has a (disablable) "find me by email" function. So you might wanna use a (at least slightly) fake full name for this particular appleID. A thing you definitely don't wanna do on the appleID1 ("The Store") you spend tons of cash with (real money to have fake purchase receipt registered to "Zapp Brannigan"?), and to a lesser extent appleID2 and appleID3. (it's worth noting that the full name associated to an appleID can be changed at anytime using the "my apple ID" page (https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/))

gianly1985
Oct 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
must-read

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-icloud-2011/

9. You’re limited to a maximum of 10 devices. With the ability to re-download content from everywhere, Apple has limited the number of devices that can participate in iTunes in the Cloud for a given account. The new terms allow for a total of 10 devices, five of which can be computers running iTunes. This means you could have five iOS devices and five computers authorized, or one computer and nine iOS devices, or any combination of the two.

Fortunately, this limitation only applies to iTunes in the Cloud features—you can still sync content directly from an authorized iTunes library to an unlimited number of iPods or iOS devices; the limitation only applies to authorizing devices to re-download or automatically download content directly from the iTunes Store.

dhy8386
Oct 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
must-read

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-icloud-2011/

Good find. Ill update the OP. The 10 limit device thing has been around for awhile because of app store.

Number 8, FYI, is looking like its not true.

Also, someone emailed me that their is an unfortunate side affect of sharing contacts (i.e., main contacts though iCloud, and then adding another iCloud account to share another persons contacts). Apparently this screws with Siri where Siri gets confused who you are vs the other person. It also can confuse the relationships as your dad may not be, for example, your wife's dad.

I havent tested this but it seems like it could in fact be a problem. Anyone else confirm this?

gianly1985
Oct 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
To be clear, the 10 devices limit is only on re-downloads, automatic downloads and PC-free cloud restores of a blank iOS5 device (since for the "iTAB side" of the restore process the same criteria of iTunes in the Cloud apply).

If you have an iTAB-AppleID-authorized Mac or PC around, you can still sync iTAB-products with INFINITE iOS devices that share the same iTAB appleID.

Apple servers ---> max 10 iOS devices (minus 0-5 iTAB authorized Mac/PCs)

Apple servers ---> iTAB authorized Mac/PC ---> infinite iOS devices

In a completely PC/Mac-Free future (or present for some families?), then yes it will actually be a limit. Though not a very strict one. It's 5 iPhones and 5 iPads for a family of 5. Reasonable.

Jakimo
Oct 19, 2011, 07:26 PM
Previously, my wife and I used one MM for iPad and two iPhones and two Macs.

Since she received her 4S, that night I figured most of this article out on my own and setup this way:

That main MM account converted to iCloud. It's my AppStore ID and my iCloud ID for my iPhone. Macs stay with it as well. For her 4S, her newly created iCloud so she can sync her own notes and have her own account for backups, etc. Her new iCloud ID as her main, with Contacts and Calendar turned off. Our shared iCloud ID (my main one, remember) as secondary so we can share Contacts and Calendar.

Works find except for ONE thing. If you choose a My Contact and Siri ID, it doesn't stick. If she changes it on her 4S, then iCloud on all Macs and my iPhone also change to her. If I change it, all the other main MM devices change too.

So how does one share Contacts and Calendar without this issue?

My workaround I guess, will be to make a shared contact. Siri will be annoying though, as it'll address us by our "Husband & Wife" name instead of just saying one of our names.

Any ideas or thoughts?

This wasn't properly thought out at Apple, oh well. Since when does any Apple product work 100% anyhow?

=)

thanks for thoughts

Iwan M
Oct 20, 2011, 05:03 AM
Hi,

I have the following setup:

1 IMac shared by wife and myself
1 IPad shared by wife and myself
2 IPhones (one each)

We have one main apple ID which was used to purchase all Apps (it's a gmail account). My wife does have an Apple ID but we don't use it.

Initially I set up iCloud with a new iCloud e-mail address name.lastname@me.com ... I soon realized that if we are to share using ICloud I should have used familyname@me.com but found that I was unable to change the iCloud address after the fact :-( I then went on to create an alias for my wife under my iCloud address, also not a good choice and one that cannot be reverted either. In fact I deleted it and cannot use it all now :-(

We want to share address books, a common me.mail address, apps, reminders, bookmarks, notes and photo stream between all devices listed above. I don't want to share calendar as I use it for work and don't want work stuff on all my devices.

One thought I contemplated is to start a new Apple ID and setup fresh - but that would mean I lose all my purchased Apps - correct?

Who can help me make some sense of this so we can use it as intended?

Thanks - Iwan

dhy8386
Oct 20, 2011, 09:06 AM

Since she received her 4S, that night I figured most of this article out on my own and setup this way:

That main MM account converted to iCloud. It's my AppStore ID and my iCloud ID for my iPhone. Macs stay with it as well. For her 4S, her newly created iCloud so she can sync her own notes and have her own account for backups, etc. Her new iCloud ID as her main, with Contacts and Calendar turned off. Our shared iCloud ID (my main one, remember) as secondary so we can share Contacts and Calendar.

Works find except for ONE thing. If you choose a My Contact and Siri ID, it doesn't stick. If she changes it on her 4S, then iCloud on all Macs and my iPhone also change to her. If I change it, all the other main MM devices change too.

My workaround I guess, will be to make a shared contact. Siri will be annoying though, as it'll address us by our "Husband & Wife" name instead of just saying one of our names.

Any ideas or thoughts?

This wasn't properly thought out at Apple, oh well. Since when does any Apple product work 100% anyhow?

=)

thanks for thoughts

See my post right before yours. No workaround I can find for now. Apple will need to think that one through some more - although when you think about it, it really is all or nothing. Share contacts or just use a primary address book. If you share contacts, no duplicates and you would have to refer to your mother as mom and your wife to her mom as something else. Given that you can also just use proper names, its not the biggest deal in the world.

----------

Hi,

I have the following setup:

1 IMac shared by wife and myself
1 IPad shared by wife and myself
2 IPhones (one each)

We have one main apple ID which was used to purchase all Apps (it's a gmail account). My wife does have an Apple ID but we don't use it.

Initially I set up iCloud with a new iCloud e-mail address name.lastname@me.com ... I soon realized that if we are to share using ICloud I should have used familyname@me.com but found that I was unable to change the iCloud address after the fact :-( I then went on to create an alias for my wife under my iCloud address, also not a good choice and one that cannot be reverted either. In fact I deleted it and cannot use it all now :-(

We want to share address books, a common me.mail address, apps, reminders, bookmarks, notes and photo stream between all devices listed above. I don't want to share calendar as I use it for work and don't want work stuff on all my devices.

One thought I contemplated is to start a new Apple ID and setup fresh - but that would mean I lose all my purchased Apps - correct?

Who can help me make some sense of this so we can use it as intended?

Thanks - Iwan

I suggest you reread my OP as this is hopefully clear. Net net is you can share your store ID which is not connected to your iCloud - even if you used the store ID for you iCloud. To share everything, delete current iCloud account, set up new one under family name, install on both devices. Then set up another iCloud for you, different ID, to have your own calendar (if its MM) - if its another provider like gmail or yahoo, you can just add it and add the calendar. Again, more detail in my OP.

Iwan M
Oct 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
I suggest you reread my OP as this is hopefully clear. Net net is you can share your store ID which is not connected to your iCloud - even if you used the store ID for you iCloud. To share everything, delete current iCloud account, set up new one under family name, install on both devices. Then set up another iCloud for you, different ID, to have your own calendar (if its MM) - if its another provider like gmail or yahoo, you can just add it and add the calendar. Again, more detail in my OP.

Thanks - But I cannot delete my iCloud account, it keeps coming back each time I log in with the Apple ID, or am I overlooking something?

dhy8386
Oct 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks - But I cannot delete my iCloud account, it keeps coming back each time I log in with the Apple ID, or am I overlooking something?

Yes. Don't log in with your iTAB (store) appleID, that is in your case just for the store. Delete iCloud. Then when you go to log in again, don't, create a new appleID - family@me.com. This is the new appleID you both want to log into with iCloud. Then just change your store ID in settings to your store appleID

flatfoot99
Oct 20, 2011, 09:21 AM

Any ideas or thoughts?

=)

thanks for thoughts

Seems to me that there are too many negatives when sharing an icloud account. As icloud moves forward, more and more features will be integrated that are just not going to be meant for multiple users. Share an apple id, but get your own icloud (just my opinion of course).

Dont forget you can log on in icloud.com and share a calendar or reminder list with the wife (works great for us) even if you both have different accounts.

Jakimo
Oct 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
Nicknaming in shared contacts isn't a big deal, but the My Contact setting is bothersome.

Also, Siri takes this info as its own in error. Siri has her own setting, but ignores it if you set a My Contact. What's the point of the Siri setting then?

Question however. I saw just above, you can share reminders and calendars. How about sharing a contacts database? Even if the syncing has to be done on the Mac, what would you suggest?

Iwan M
Oct 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yes. Don't log in with your iTAB (store) appleID, that is in your case just for the store. Delete iCloud. Then when you go to log in again, don't, create a new appleID - family@me.com. This is the new appleID you both want to log into with iCloud. Then just change your store ID in settings to your store appleID

This is something I have tried in multiple ways but just cannot get done :mad:

flatfoot99
Oct 20, 2011, 10:53 AM
Nicknaming in shared contacts isn't a big deal, but the My Contact setting is bothersome.

Also, Siri takes this info as its own in error. Siri has her own setting, but ignores it if you set a My Contact. What's the point of the Siri setting then?

Question however. I saw just above, you can share reminders and calendars. How about sharing a contacts database? Even if the syncing has to be done on the Mac, what would you suggest?

numerous emails give the option to sync contacts. maybe setup a family gmail or yahoo email and set the option under that email settings to sync? never tried it...

nairnet
Oct 21, 2011, 08:10 AM
Has anyone else noticed, that for non-primary icloud accounts you only get sync "bookmarks" option on iOS but not on Lion?

e.g.

On iPhone 4S
icloud2 account can sync: Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmarks, Notes

On Mac Mini Lion 10.7.2
icloud2 account can sync: Mail & Notes, Calendar, Contacts

Bookmarks option is missing!

Any ideas?

tigres
Oct 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
Here's a another FAIL on iCloud.

Last evening I had to update my son and wife to iCloud from MM to get their backups working on iOS5, and get rid of the multi usernames and logins required for Backup to iCloud. Neither one of them is good with this, so I handle the devices.

Either way, they don't use Gallery, keychains/etc; so I said what the hell.

Well, guess what happened to our Shared Calendars I.E. our HIS HIGH SCHOOL CALENDAR, and our TRAVEL calendar on their phones & Mac's- GONE:mad:

As luck would have it, I backed them both up and restored them. Came in, ok, deletes again immediately.

So, I think alright; I have to re-share them from my iCal again (remember, I am on SL, and MM). So I re-share them both (as they are VITAL parts of our scheduling duh and timelines etc.) Well guess what...

I can't F'n move to iCloud. G** Dam**, I can't fricken believe I missed this land mine Apple. FML on this one , ya got me, my wife, and my son.

Time to find another solution for calendars I suppose because I am not and cannot move to SL on my MBA.

flatfoot99
Oct 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
Here's a another FAIL on iCloud.

Last evening I had to update my son and wife to iCloud from MM to get their backups working on iOS5, and get rid of the multi usernames and logins required for Backup to iCloud. Neither one of them is good with this, so I handle the devices.

Either way, they don't use Gallery, keychains/etc; so I said what the hell.

Well, guess what happened to our Shared Calendars I.E. our HIS HIGH SCHOOL CALENDAR, and our TRAVEL calendar on their phones & Mac's- GONE:mad:

As luck would have it, I backed them both up and restored them. Came in, ok, deletes again immediately.

So, I think alright; I have to re-share them from my iCal again (remember, I am on SL, and MM). So I re-share them both (as they are VITAL parts of our scheduling duh and timelines etc.) Well guess what...

I can't F'n move to iCloud. G** Dam**, I can't fricken believe I missed this land mine Apple. FML on this one , ya got me, my wife, and my son.

Time to find another solution for calendars I suppose because I am not and cannot move to SL on my MBA.

I had a mobile me account and only used it for calender. I simply deleted the mobile me account on my ipad and clicked dont delete from device message (or whatever it said). I then set up a new icloud account and it all just appeared. I didnt try that mobile me porting over stuff.

auero
Oct 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
I read the thread but I'm getting a little confused. I just need clarification if I'm thinking this through correctly.

Lets say I created familyname@whatever.com and bought all my items there (music, apps, etc).

Can I just create an apple ID for each family member for iCloud so each member can backup their stuff and then use familyname@whatever.com for purchases?

I have no intention of sharing calendars or contacts, etc... between each other.

I've set it up and it seems to work but I don't want to run into any complications later.

Example:
mom@me.com
dad@me.com
me@me.com

but we all use family@me.com for purchases.

dhy8386
Oct 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
Your good to go.

jpcarro
Oct 22, 2011, 12:22 AM
This detail burned me...didn't do my due diligence:
[NOTE: If you have or create an @me account, but decide to login to iCloud with a different AppleID, and then try and go and turn on Mail for that account, it will ask you to create an @me account. Why? Because to use Mail under iCloud you need an @me address yet you have signed into iCloud with some other handle (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc). This has consequences, in that Apple will then not let you use the @me account you previously created for use with Mail. You will need to add it as a separate, secondary iCloud account or create a brand new @me. ]
So, I had to create a new @me. id which is now my primary associated with the gmail addy. And my original @me. id is now a loose end. It's still a secondary ApplId, but why bother...it's essential useless. Would it have been so hard for Apple to clue me in to sign in with my existing @me. id, instead of my purchase id, before migrating to iCloud? Forgive me if this has already been covered...the minutia on this is trying and I'm getting glassy eyed with the reading.

So, I'm assuming this means I should have signed in with my existing MobileMe id before migrating to iCloud: Why? Because to use Mail under iCloud you need an @me address yet you have signed into iCloud with some other handle (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc).

I realize there are many many id scenarios, and sync'ing and dups gets tricky, but the predominate situation, the most common case story, has to be prime @me. id associated with Apple purchase id. Did they want an explosion of @me. id's?

BTW, obvious now why Music Match was set for a later date...ha!

Jakimo
Oct 26, 2011, 12:58 PM
In another short thread in these forums, I found the lead that led to the solution for my wife and I.

So, my main account is everything - same AID for iTunes store and iCloud. We created another account for her.

In order for iCloud sync not to mess with the My Card and Siri contact default, we simply activated her Contacts syncing for her iCloud account and added ONE contact - her own.

So my main contact is in our shared iCloud (which is my main account, and her secondary account just so we can share the Calendars and Contacts). Her My Card and Siri ID points to that one single contact in her iCloud.

All battling over My Card and Siri's default ID is over.

Hope this helps someone..!

aham23
Oct 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
so, if you are the ugly step sister what do you do? :)

-PC & heavy Outlook 2007 users.
-dude@yahoo.com is the main Apple ID for purchases.
-I also used this to create my iCloud, which I am not sure was a good idea or not from reading thru the thread. Would you have created an @me email?
-It worked but with the loss of some Outlook functionality.

The wife is getting a 4s. We will use the @yahoo for purchases and get her a seperate iCloud account (I think). We want seperate contacts, but a SHARED calendar. One that can be updated by either of us with those pushed/synced to both our iPhones.

It is looking like this is possible to due via PC & Outlook. Im not sure. Much thanks.

nanotlj
Nov 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
The philosophy of simplicity of Apple does not apply to iCloud.
First, iTools, then dot mac, then MobileMe, and finally iCloud. Hopefully iCloud is the final one that we need transfer to.
Apple has created so many hypes and hassles during these transitions.

For long time dot mac then MobileMe users, we can keep 5 aliases but the fact is that you can not do anything to it. You HAVE to delete 3 of them if you want to create a new one. Totally ********.

tivoboy
Nov 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
The philosophy of simplicity of Apple does not apply to iCloud.
First, iTools, then dot mac, then MobileMe, and finally iCloud. Hopefully iCloud is the final one that we need transfer to.
Apple has created so many hypes and hassles during these transitions.

For long time dot mac then MobileMe users, we can keep 5 aliases but the fact is that you can not do anything to it. You HAVE to delete 3 of them if you want to create a new one. Totally ********.

dont' forget eWorld! We have moved from the EARTH to the CLOUDS

nanotlj
Nov 3, 2011, 05:44 PM
I did not know there was something before iTools.
My account started from iTools.

dont' forget eWorld! We have moved from the EARTH to the CLOUDS

dhy8386
Nov 5, 2011, 06:39 AM
so, if you are the ugly step sister what do you do? :)

-PC & heavy Outlook 2007 users.
-dude@yahoo.com is the main Apple ID for purchases.
-I also used this to create my iCloud, which I am not sure was a good idea or not from reading thru the thread. Would you have created an @me email?
-It worked but with the loss of some Outlook functionality.

The wife is getting a 4s. We will use the @yahoo for purchases and get her a seperate iCloud account (I think). We want seperate contacts, but a SHARED calendar. One that can be updated by either of us with those pushed/synced to both our iPhones.

It is looking like this is possible to due via PC & Outlook. Im not sure. Much thanks.

For a shared calendar the best thing is to have separate iCloud accounts and then for her to add your yahoo account as another email account on her phone. Then just turn on your calendar and all else off. On her iCloud she can just turn calendar off. She could keep it on if she also wants to maintain a separate calendar but she just needs to make sure to adjust the chosen calendar when she is putting in events.

aham23
Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
what happens if you delete your iCloud account (PC & Outlook 2007)? will the data be dumped back into Outlook from iCloud as it is NOW or will the original .pst data files be restored as there were at cloud set up.

i think i need to start over. :)

aham23
Nov 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
im scared to do it. :)

i read if you sign out of the PC iCloud application it will prompt you to save your files back to Outlook.

if the iCloud data files in Outlook could be made the default then all would be good. Once solution for us PC users that allows the iPhone to be PC free.

anyway, i think i will sign out and go the Google Sync for Calendar & Outlook/iTunes sync for contacts route...

TimWilliam
Nov 17, 2011, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=dhy8386;13576783]I suggest MobileMe.

----------

Can be done easily actually. Share iTAB account. Each have an iCloud that is distinct. Then on your own iCloud account, turn on mail and contacts and iCal and reminders. Then add your wifes iCloud account. Only turn on iCal and reminders. These now integrate into the one calendar and one reminder app. Your wife would do the same thing only with your iCloud account.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

I have the same situation...but I don't follow your instructions. I think I'm hearing you say that I need to set up both icloud accounts on one device, but there is no option for that on my ipad. Can you please break this down into steps? Many thanks.

aham23
Nov 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
interesting. i wanted to start fresh, like i stated above, since i think i have a better understanding of iCloud (on the PC).

i deleted the iCloud account from 4s. this was one the associated with my Apple ID used for iTunes/Store purchases. i just wasnt comfortable using it for iCloud too.

i unchecked and signed out of the iCloud account on my PC using the control panel. i then uninstalled that control panel. i was hoping all this would put things back into Outlook as there were prior. it didnt, but i had backed up my contacts and calendar first.

created new iCloud account with a new @me.com email on the 4s. reinstalled the control panel, logged in, and set it up.

interesting thing is that original iCloud account can NOT be deleted. it can be removed from your phone, like i did, but it is still there at iCloud.com. so in the end, i think i wasted my time, but i sorta feel better about it..... :)

seveej
Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; fi-fi) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are two elements to this iCloud business, which confound me. First though, let me give you the specs:
Hardware: IMac i7, macbook(Alu), phone4 + (wife's:) MBA rev.C and iPhone 3G

The first pause comes from that I was badly burned by MobileMe and threw in the towel after having my account thoroughly messed up. Sadly that same account is used by iTAB. What worries me is that if I hook up this account to iCloud, those settings messes, which plagued the MobileMe account will come back to haunt me. Rang Apple to check, even managed to talk someone who dug up my old case/complaint, and was told that the safest way would be to create a new account for iCloud.

The other thing is that the I would not be inclined to update to Lion. Personally I would prob'ly tweak the settings to get rid of as much of the Lion look-and-feel as possible. I just do not see the point. More seriously, the MBAlu (which I'm typing on right now) is still in Leopard time (10.5.8) and I have to keep it that way, as updating would break a critical piece of software (or necessitate an expensive upgrade).

I understand that iCloud has some low-level integration, but I honestly question whether Apple could not have made it work on all Intel platforms had they liked. Also, I very well see the business case for making users upgrade to the newest OS (it makes things so much simpler for Apple), but as they never made good on their promise to adress the third-party compatibility issues Snow Leopard introduced ... well, in short: iPiqued.

(Sidenote: I'm currently being offered iTunes 10.5.1 on this machine - and Lion or not - it still promises to offer iTunesMatch. How's that for necessitating Lion).

And the stupidest thing is that the only reason for me even wanting to go into the cloud would be calendar synchronization (As i consider the iTunes-based synchronization to be medieval).

So, unless someone of you guys can change my mind, I think I'll let this innovation pass for now.

BasilFawlty
Dec 5, 2011, 10:20 AM

No kidding!

BasilFawlty
Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
First, thanks for putting this together.

but, WOW if it takes a masters degree to figure out and implement this stuff properly the consumers of the worlds just are NOT going to get it and will not be happy. I simply could not imagine any older relative I know being able to make sense of all this and we're moving to the state where only the young tech adopters are able to setup the FAMILY'S apple account infrastructure.

this is not a good sign.

You speak the truth!

FoxMcCloud
Dec 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
My problem is this.

Years ago I created an AppleID to use iTunes. It was a username as I like simplicity, let's say it was johnsmith.
A while later I fancied MobileMe (lord knows why, it's caused nothing but trouble ever since). So I signed up, it asked me for my AppleID so I entered johnsmith and it created johnsmith@me.com. I used to think that these two things were one and the same ID since I could log in to MobileMe website by entering johnsmith and also activated MobileMe sync on Mac and iOS by only entering johnsmith.

Then iCloud launched and I learned that these two were not one and the same. Before migrating, I logged into the AppleID site with each one and lo and behold they were separate accounts! So I have purchases made to johnsmith but emails contacts and calendars are on johnsmith@me.com.

Kind of works, but now when I set up an iOS device I have to first setup iCloud by entering the johnsmith@me.com credentials (which btw the migration forced me to change my password so now the two accounts are even more separate) but then have to change iTunes and AppStore back to johnsmith in order to have my purchases.

Why can't they just be the same? Microsoft manages it fine. My live.com email address is my account for Xbox, Zune, Microsoft, Hotmail etc. it just works. Ironically.

Anyway, I might just leave apple for email contacts and calendars since the service is dire. But, in order to use backup and doc and bookmark sync etc etc I have to use johnsmith@me.com. Why cant it just be simple and be the same as just johnsmith. So....complicated and unapple.

Any advice?

Sonny1
Feb 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes:Please don't bother telling me not to use iCloud and/or me.com. I already don't use them.
After 20+ years using Mac computers and other Apple products, I stopped using those two functions last year. My next "loss" may be iTunes.
I have managed to live without Apple in the Clouds because of the increased chance it gives phishers and hackers help they also don't need. I know my Macs are not impervious, but I have less hope for iCloud.
As for Apple's email system --oh, sorry; did I write "system? I haven't found an email system any worse than Apple's. S-l-o-w........
Now I am eyeing (no pun) iTunes. I have not downloaded the latest version. My music is stored on my Macbook Pro, my hard drives, my CDs, my iPods. I get my books, news, entertainment downloaded from other than iCloud lairs.
I don't want to be locked into Apple's way of manipulating its world of users. Alternatives abound. I use them, but never the an extent that I have locked myself into any of them.
I admire Apple's computers. I hope always to use them.
But that's it. Life can be simpler when you rely on the person you can count on to both get things done and correct his/her mistakes. I mean YOU(RSELF).

robogobo
Apr 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
In another short thread in these forums, I found the lead that led to the solution for my wife and I.

So, my main account is everything - same AID for iTunes store and iCloud. We created another account for her.

In order for iCloud sync not to mess with the My Card and Siri contact default, we simply activated her Contacts syncing for her iCloud account and added ONE contact - her own.

So my main contact is in our shared iCloud (which is my main account, and her secondary account just so we can share the Calendars and Contacts). Her My Card and Siri ID points to that one single contact in her iCloud.

All battling over My Card and Siri's default ID is over.

Hope this helps someone..!

helped me. Thanks!

shandyman
Apr 6, 2012, 08:48 AM

Any ideas or thoughts?

=)

thanks for thoughts

this isn't a fault of Apple, it's your own fault. An Apple ID is meant to be for a SINGLE user, it even says so in it's terms and conditions, not for people to share. why should Apple design for something that's not within the terms and conditions? This is why MM came with a family pack that had different Apple ID's. That's why iCloud has the ability to share clouds with other users..... any workaround to share 1 apple ID is just breaking the terms and conditions anyway, just so you know.

chachat
Jun 3, 2012, 04:52 PM
I am intrigued by this thread as it addresses many issues that my family has in the prospect of migrating to iCloud from MobileMe. My scenario is similar, I have a MobileMe ID that I use both for the AppleStore/Itunes as well as MobileMe itself. My wife has a MobileID that she uses AND a separate ID for Itunes/AppStore. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to converge to a common Itunes/AppStore ID for purchases and individual IDs for iCloud? I am concerned about the convergence and what that would do, how would I go about merging our purchases to one common/unique ID that we could both then use for purchases? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we both have our individual Macbooks, iPhones and iPads that we would like to manage, as well as our AppleTV.

Thanks in advance..

Jakimo
Jun 3, 2012, 06:02 PM
It's worked for me very well, I like to keep it simple.

One AppleID for all the family for the store. This way all the purchases can be shared between. I also use this main AppleID for Find My xxx on all devices (nice to have it all show up correctly under one AppleID) and for our common shared Contacts and Calendar and Bookmarks and Notes.

Then each PERSON gets assigned an AppleID for iCloud backup, Email (we have emailed enabled but actually stick with Gmail), extra personal Contacts and Calendar and Notes, GameCenter, FaceTime, Reminders, Photo Stream. PS - for the personal Contact of each person on iOS devices, have at least ONE contact in this database to point Siri and the iPhone to. By keeping it separate, the iOS devices won't have to jostle the default contact between different users. (If you use the MAIN family AppleID's contact database for the personal contacts, it'll shift to that contact every time someone designates it. For instance, if I set MY contact details on my iPhone all is well. But then if my wife is using the same AppleID database to select her default, it'll change her iPhone AND my iPhone. I hope that makes sense?)

So again AppleID for common tasks and unifying, personal AppleID for ALL the devices belonging to a SINGLE person.

Works perfectly for my family.

As far as unifying to purchasing AppleIDs together, there is no way to do that outside of Apple's direct assistance.

Jacques

stylinexpat
Jun 8, 2012, 08:54 AM
What if you have a current Mac mail address and you just want the Mac address to transfer over to cloud without all the other stuff such as contacts and notes? Is this possible? Seems like one has to use contacts and emails along with notes and music on iCloud?

Basically I just want to use my Mac email on cloud and nothing else. Is that possible? Does not look like transfer at the moment allows us to have this option.:confused:

Jakimo
Jun 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
What if you have a current Mac mail address and you just want the Mac address to transfer over to cloud without all the other stuff such as contacts and notes? Is this possible? Seems like one has to use contacts and emails along with notes and music on iCloud?

Basically I just want to use my Mac email on cloud and nothing else. Is that possible? Does not look like transfer at the moment allows us to have this option.:confused:

First, I'm not sure why this would matter?

Second, once an AppleID is moved to iCloud it's all in - but none of it has to be used. So if you only wanted to use the email part of your AppleID, you could turn off all of the other parts with your iOS settings. You only use what you'd like to...

If it's a privacy concern, keep your contacts and notes local only - and sync locally to a Mac for backup.

PS - to move contacts and notes, etc, around from account to account - use your Mac and simply drag and drop in betw accounts (I've done this to consolidate contacts from several accounts)

Jacques

danny_w
Jun 8, 2012, 09:13 AM

AFAIK everything transfers but that doesn't mean that you have to use it all. You can select the services that you want enabled via the iCloud page in System Preferences. Personally the only thing I have enabled in iCloud is Back to My Mac (BTMM).

stylinexpat
Jun 8, 2012, 11:25 AM
First, I'm not sure why this would matter?

Second, once an AppleID is moved to iCloud it's all in - but none of it has to be used. So if you only wanted to use the email part of your AppleID, you could turn off all of the other parts with your iOS settings. You only use what you'd like to...

If it's a privacy concern, keep your contacts and notes local only - and sync locally to a Mac for backup.

PS - to move contacts and notes, etc, around from account to account - use your Mac and simply drag and drop in betw accounts (I've done this to consolidate contacts from several accounts)

Jacques

Thanks.. So you mean one does not have an option and that everything including all contacts automatically go to the iCloud server:confused:

AFAIK everything transfers but that doesn't mean that you have to use it all. You can select the services that you want enabled via the iCloud page in System Preferences. Personally the only thing I have enabled in iCloud is Back to My Mac (BTMM).

I assume you are saying that one can select the services after,correct? One can not select prior as to which items to transfer and not to transfer to the iCloud server:confused: Do we now lose our rights to keep all our private stuff just on our smartphone? Seems like if one wants to have or use a Mac email account that means means one has to give up all their privacy rights and transfer everything on their iPhone over to the iCloud server.

Do users have options these days? Seems like every other new update means less privacy.

danny_w
Jun 8, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks.. So you mean one does not have an option and that everything including all contacts automatically go to the iCloud server:confused:

I assume you are saying that one can select the services after,correct? One can not select prior as to which items to transfer and not to transfer to the iCloud server:confused: Do we now lose our rights to keep all our private stuff just on our smartphone? Seems like if one wants to have or use a Mac email account that means means one has to give up all their privacy rights and transfer everything on their iPhone over to the iCloud server.

Do users have options these days? Seems like every other new update means less privacy.
When you convert your MobileMe account to iCloud it will transition everything that is in MobileMe (not your iPhone) to iCloud. So if you never put your contacts into MM then they also will not be in iCloud. And contacts that are in iCloud for whatever reason can be deleted via the web interface (make sure that contact syncing is disabled first). You can choose to sync only email and leave everything else disabled and just not use the feature, so that you keep everything else private to your phone or mac or whatever.

stylinexpat
Jun 8, 2012, 11:45 AM
When you convert your MobileMe account to iCloud it will transition everything that is in MobileMe (not your iPhone) to iCloud. So if you never put your contacts into MM then they also will not be in iCloud. And contacts that are in iCloud for whatever reason can be deleted via the web interface (make sure that contact syncing is disabled first). You can choose to sync only email and leave everything else disabled and just not use the feature, so that you keep everything else private to your phone or mac or whatever.

Thanks for the kind response :) , How do you do this:confused: On my iTunes sync everything is disabled. Any particular place that one has to do something before transition? At the moment from what I see is that everything gets transferred over.

bripab007
Jun 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the kind response :) , How do you do this:confused:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

stylinexpat
Jun 9, 2012, 04:27 AM
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

And if you do not want to upload your contacts to the iCloud server??

macness
Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
So let me get this straight..
in order to get an @me or @icloud mail address you first have to create an apple id, but but buuuuutt in order to create an apple id you have to use an email address thats neither of the two. example: GMAIL.
and then once you've created an apple id using GMAIL uthen have to make an @me or @icloud account to use mail??? Why wouldn't apple just allow you to use one of their domain names as an apple id instead of forcing us to use one one of their competitors?? (GMAIL)

makes nooooo sense whatsoever

i just want to make a new apple id using @icloud.com and use it for everything.
my mail, my iTunes, my apple id, books... but how can i make a new @icloud.com apple id?? and even if i do , will it be around for a while?? because @mac and @me are both gone..

also, do u think @icloud.com looks as professional on a resume ( and things of that nature) as @gmail.com???

Johnchapin
Jul 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
:mad: Old Grouch here :mad: I never saw the need for Mobile Me and now feel the same way toward iCloud. What the heck is it for? Is it just an expensive, unreliable way of replacing a back up disk? Is it for Apple or is it for Apple users? it stores 1000 of your most recent photos? Really? I take 1000 photos a month. Sync devices? I never liked the way iTunes synced. Organize photos? Don't care for iPhoto either. Let Apple manage my mail? They could call it iBrainDamage :mad:

MacBook, MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard, iPhone 4, iPad 3, Antique WinTel on XP, 3 x 1 TB WD backup disks at 3 locations plus assortment of 8GB thumbs, Canon 60D, & well worn copy of Grouchiness for Dummies :cool:

John.B
Jul 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
:mad: Old Grouch here :mad: I never saw the need for Mobile Me and now feel the same way toward iCloud. What the heck is it for? Is it just an expensive, unreliable way of replacing a back up disk? Is it for Apple or is it for Apple users? it stores 1000 of your most recent photos? Really? I take 1000 photos a month. Sync devices? I never liked the way iTunes synced. Organize photos? Don't care for iPhoto either. Let Apple manage my mail? They could call it iBrainDamage :mad:

MacBook, MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard, iPhone 4, iPad 3, Antique WinTel on XP, 3 x 1 TB WD backup disks at 3 locations plus assortment of 8GB thumbs, Canon 60D, & well worn copy of Grouchiness for Dummies :cool:

You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want to, but with Mountain Lion there is a real convergence with Mac, iPhone, and iPad app data for things like notifications, calendars, etc. And more to come in iOS 6. You can take a pass, but I think you'll might be missing out on some of the real strengths of their platform (and I was as curmudgeonly as you not long ago).

wdb726
Aug 6, 2012, 08:41 AM
This is a great thread, answering questions I've had since the introduction of iCloud. I was just wondering if, now that Mountain Lion has arrived, anything has changed???

Keep up the good work!

chaseychasem
Aug 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
i just want to make a new apple id using @icloud.com and use it for everything.

Agreed. I find the current implementation a little amateurish. Apple should have devised a unified architecture prior to iCloud launch.

Before purchasing my new MBP (currently en route from Shanghai, via Anchorage, whee!) I decided to look up my Apple ID, yet I'd forgotten that I have two Apple IDs: one (#1) from the Windows debut of iTunes ca. 2003 and the other (#2) in association with my first iPod in 2005. #1 was still alias-only, because that's how it was back in the day, while #2 was named after a Gmail address that I still use. The lookup script at appleid.apple.com, of course, came back with #1, the older, alias-only account—which, however, had the very same Gmail address as stored contact info, rather than as an account name.

So I wrote to customer support with a request to cancel #2, as I'd already purchased the MBP using #1 and wanted to keep my ducks in a row. A kind support rep started to work on my request. That was two days ago. Yesterday, she informed me that Apple has suddenly discontinued cancellation of Apple IDs, which suggests they're receiving many such requests and/or realize that this is all a total mess and requires a comprehensive solution. Meantime I can no longer tie the Gmail address to either account, having renamed both provisionally in preparation for some kind of resolution. At this point I'd prefer to start fresh with an iCloud e-mail address and name a new Apple ID accordingly.

And certainly there are far worse cases of Apple ID entanglement than my own. I had a very minor iTunes purchase under #2, that's it.

siddiki
Sep 5, 2012, 03:29 PM
Can you pls tell me when the @me.com accounts transition to @icloud.com. Wasnt that supposed to have happened already? Have tried to google this information but have not been able to find out.

Thanks,

bigchrisfgb
Sep 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Here is one for you. Will my messages (SMS and MMS) be saved to iCloud?

I'm going to get a new iPhone and I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.

John.B
Sep 13, 2012, 01:22 PM

I'm going to get a new iPhone and I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.

Backup your old phone and restore to the new one.

shandyman
Sep 13, 2012, 01:53 PM

Yes if you backup to iCloud then restore from iCloud backup on new device

Jakimo
Sep 14, 2012, 12:28 AM
..I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.

You can also extract messages from an iTunes (non-iCloud) backup of an iPhone. Once you're satisfied with the whole procedure, you can easily go back to iCloud backups again.

Here's a thread talking about it just a few months back:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1374037

peace

emir
Sep 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?

John.B
Sep 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?

I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.

jwflutterby
Sep 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom :rolleyes: ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait :mad:

Jakimo
Sep 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.

Consolidate the notes via the Mac Mail app, just drag and drop - pretty easy.

Johnchapin
Sep 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want to, but with Mountain Lion there is a real convergence with Mac, iPhone, and iPad app data for things like notifications, calendars, etc. And more to come in iOS 6. You can take a pass, but I think you'll might be missing out on some of the real strengths of their platform (and I was as curmudgeonly as you not long ago).

:mad: Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again :mad: "Curmudgeonly", I like that word. May eliminate the "grouch" part :-)

I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone :confused: :confused: And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.

danny_w
Sep 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
:mad: Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again :mad: I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone :confused: :confused: And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.
Agree completely about pressure to use "the cloud". Apple has gone though so many "cloud" iterations already and every new iteration brings more problems. When will they ever learn? I went through the awful .mac/.me transition, so when iCloud came along I switched to gmail. Bookmark syncing (the only thing that I really used) completely broke for me in the iCloud transition and I don't look forward to any more Apple missteps.

steffi
Sep 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Where are the firstname.lastname@me.com -> firstname.lastname@icloud.com addresses?

iCloud Mail on an iOS device under iOS6 requires a @icloud.com email address. It won't accept anything else @me.com or appleid.

Why is that?

Also I have two iCloud setups one from a migrated @me.com account and the other attached to my appleid.

How can I merge these into one. I don't need two iCloud setups

c2darqdes
Sep 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hi guys

I have a @gmail apple ID and after entered on icloud.com with my ID I have clicked on the email icon and it said that I should create an icloud account on a device to get through... so I did it on my iphone.

But this account was just a "test" one wich I suppose to delete it easily. But after hours trying to find out how to exclude this test@icloud.com mail from my iCloud account I could not find out a way to do it!!

When I go do Preferences inside the email on iCloud.com it shows my "test" account there, but no way to delete it!

Does anyone have an idea how to do that?

Thanks!

BentwoodBlue
Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you for this. Setting up my wife's account would have been a hassle without it.

dhy8386
Oct 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom :rolleyes: ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait :mad:

It works just not as eloquently as if you were idevice owner. When you set up shared photostream, you need to enable the public sharing (turn switch to on). This will allow photostreams to be shared via the web (via a public iCloud link) so anyone can view it. An email is sent to all individuals asking them to Join the Photostream and below that there is text that says "Dont have an iCloud account, view photos on the web here". But you lose the ability to see/make comments.

I probably should update the OP since some has changed with this whole thing since I wrote it...but just getting back to Apple as I had switched to Android for a bit :) Shhhh.....

unplugme71
Oct 2, 2013, 03:59 PM
Apple, at the very least, should allow you to change your iTunes email as the Apple ID.

This way, I can make it my_family_id@icloud.com to give to everyone in my family. Then I can use the original just_me@icloud.com for my email, contacts, etc.

I don't care about sharing contacts. I can drag them to the desktop, then drag them into the other persons contact app.

I can create shared calendars - so no biggie.