Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loonertic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So, from what I recall apple touted that iMessage would be able to receive messages to all of our iOS devices simotaniously, the problem is, on my iPhone friends and family send messages to my cell # and on my iPad they are sending it to an email address, so both devices do NOT receive the message. Am I missing something? Is there a way to link the accounts so when a friend messages me on my phone the iPad will get the message?

Hope I am just missing it and someone can school me here.

Thanks.

jauhari

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
There are some setting on iMessages you can choose you iDevice will receive any iMessage from which address? Cell Number only? or included your Apple ID

loonertic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
The problem is, when I try to set the same email address on both the phone and iPad it tells me the email address is already in use! That's the point right, to link the devices they will need the same email address? Definitly lost on this one.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I _think_ they need to send a text message to your email (the iCloud one), that way both your iPhone and iPad will get it.

thingee

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
What's weird is that my iPad only gets a notification if it's sent to my email address, but the message still appears in the Message app even if it's sent to my phone number. Just no sound alert or badge.

knoxtown

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
Everywhere
Is there any sort of indication or notification that says whether you are sending to an Apple device or not BEFORE you send it?

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
The problem is, when I try to set the same email address on both the phone and iPad it tells me the email address is already in use! That's the point right, to link the devices they will need the same email address? Definitly lost on this one.

Did you log into iMessage on iPad and iPhone with the same Apple ID? or different.....if they're different, you'll have a problem, because an email address can only be verified/associated with one Apple ID.

If the email address you're putting into iMessage is listed as a verified email address on another Apple ID, it won't let you use it.

It's way more confusing than it needs to be. This whole situation could be avoided if Apple would just figure out how to let us merge Apple ID's.

I have an old Apple ID for iTunes store, it's not an email address, just an account. I use that for all music/app purchases.

I also have a MobileMe account, which also is automatically an Apple ID.

But Apple will allow you to link your mobile me email address to the old original Apple ID.

Therefore, if you go into iMessage with your MobileMe/iCloud account and try to put in your MobileMe address, it says it's already in use (and it is, it's linked to my old iTunes account......DUMB!)

Supposedly, I should be able to go to appleid.apple.com and remove an email address from my old iTunes account, thereby making it available to use with my MobileMe/iCloud Apple ID, but I did that and it still says it's in use! :mad:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Is there any sort of indication or notification that says whether you are sending to an Apple device or not BEFORE you send it?

yes, if you're sending to an iOS5 device, then the button and the contact's name is Blue and in the message entry area, it says iMessage before you type. for SMS it will just say message and the send button and contact name is green.

THe only way to always get stuff sent to both devices is to set the caller ID under iMessage to your email address, so when you start an iMessage convo, it's going from the email address, so any replies will come back to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.