Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgfernandez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I know this is a frustrating issue for everyone, and I still can't seem to decide what the best course of action is. Basically, I made a new @me.com email address today with iCloud, and my goal is to totally migrate over and use it as my main email address and iCloud/iTunes account. Unfortunately, as we know, Apple won't let you combine Apple IDs or change your current Apple ID to @me.com email address in iTunes.

I have almost a gigabyte of "protected" AAC song files on my old, non-@me.com iTunes account. In order to still listen to these songs, I need to keep my old Apple ID active and use it to authorize purchases on the computer. I am assuming that apps that I previously purchased on my old account would also be inaccessible. I know that you can authorize any Apple ID on a computer, even if you are using a different account as your primary, but this basically means you'll always have to go back to the old account to authorize purchases when you get a new computer, etc, and you won't be able to completely cancel it without losing access to those purchases.

I am okay with starting fresh with a new Apple ID, and a new purchase history, but I still want to have access to all of my purchases. I guess I just find the need to maintain 2 different Apple IDs annoying and inconvenient, and I just want to consolidate everything into 1. Maybe I should just burn all of my protected songs to CDs and then re-upload them so they aren't protected anymore? I am somewhat anal when it comes to these things, and I know there are others who feel the same. What do you guys think?

hayesphil

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I am in exactly the same situation. Got an existing iTunes account and a separate MobileMe account. However it gets a bit confusing because the email address for all correspondence on my iTunes account was my @me.com and because of this my MobileMe account cannot use this email address since it is in use with my iTunes account and you need it too otherwise can't use FaceTime, iMessage or Friend Finder on iPad.

I have just changed my iTunes email to a hotmail one, but the MobileMe one still won't accept the @me.com address. To top it off it won't let me change it back either.

So I am now about to set up a brand new @me.com address, but am worried as to what will happen with my iTunes account and if I will be able to still keep all my music and app purchases, as it is a lot.

Sorry I haven't helped but just wanted to share that I am in the same situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.