PDA

View Full Version : "iPhone 5" Photo Stream Image is Gone

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/iphone-5-photo-stream-image-is-gone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/photostream.jpg

Top: New Photo Stream, Bottom: Old Photo Stream
An icon that looked vaguely like a redesigned iPhone, thought to be the iPhone 5, appeared this summer (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/31/photo-stream-iphone-icon-hints-at-the-iphone-5-design/) in a Photo Stream image. The final version of Photo Stream reverts to a logo of the iPhone as we know it. Before and after pictures of the Photo Stream welcome screen are presented above. It was first noticed (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1248153) by MacRumors forum user djrod.

When the image first surfaced (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/31/photo-stream-iphone-icon-hints-at-the-iphone-5-design/), we noted that it seemed to show an iPhone-like device with an enlarged screen and possibly an elongated home button at the bottom. At the time, this matched up nicely with many of the circulating rumors about the "iPhone 5".

It's unclear if this was simply the work of an sloppy designer, or if a redesigned iPhone was really in the works and the release of this icon design was a legitimate and accidental leak.

Article Link: "iPhone 5" Photo Stream Image is Gone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/iphone-5-photo-stream-image-is-gone/)

Mike84
Oct 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting.

I guess it'll pop up sometime next year.

Gooberton
Oct 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

We can only dream

Nobita
Oct 12, 2011, 06:49 PM
My 2 is that it is actually still in the works and the designer really thought that it'd be released this year :)

Maybe next year.

fbartram
Oct 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
curioser and curioser...

iEnvy
Oct 12, 2011, 06:51 PM
What if the next iPhone looks like what people thought were going to be the 5?

Cndnmax
Oct 12, 2011, 06:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

Menel
Oct 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Lol

Anonymous Freak
Oct 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
Or the "iPhone 5" design could have been a controlled leak for some reason. Either to gauge public opinion of a proposed design, or possibly to discover the source of an internal leak.

Sky Blue
Oct 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
nm

MNT
Oct 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
Or maybe they just decided to make a new icon that included the iPad?

Sky Blue
Oct 12, 2011, 06:59 PM

freefall722
Oct 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
Now that I see the final image it looks more like they were trying to make a "universal" icon that could both represent the iPhone and iPad at the same time.

.paul
Oct 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
DUDE! we just got the 4S, rumors already....?

kingsrule5
Oct 12, 2011, 07:03 PM
not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but wouldn't surprise me if the 5 was close to done if not done but in the weeks leading up the the announcement they found out Steve was near the end. Might be saving the last major device he had a large hand in for a time when they can honor him and his contributions.

It's not like the 4s isn't going to rake in the money and they can always use extra time to even go a step above.

applefanDrew
Oct 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or apple engineers heard the rumors and were like "let's have some fun"

whammink
Oct 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
It's interesting that they went out of their way to change it.

goobot
Oct 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
It's the 6.... When they announced the 4 they said they started work on it at the same time as the 3gs but of course they had a full year longer to make it better, That is what they are doing here with the 4s and 6...

RayK
Oct 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes it is. Hmmmmm......

AIP5
Oct 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
Inttttteerrrressstingggggg.....

Hmm. My personal opinion is that they were indeed going to release an iPhone 5, but manufacturing delays/difficulties made them push it to 2012 and shift to a 4S only this year. How early or how late this decision was made, we will of course never know. But, very interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I'm holding on to my 3GS until this legendary iPhone does show up. :)

charlituna
Oct 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but wouldn't surprise me if the 5 was close to done if not done but in the weeks leading up the the announcement they found out Steve was near the end. Might be saving the last major device he had a large hand in for a time when they can honor him and his contributions.

Spoken like someone that has no clue that tech takes an easy 2-3 years to go from design to on the shelf. It is highly possible that there are many things that Steve had his hands all over that we haven't seen yet.

It's not like the 4s isn't going to rake in the money and they can always use extra time to even go a step above.

yeah cause 1 million pre-orders is all the sales they are going to get.

It's very possible that any thing like the rumored iPhone 5 was merely in the testing stages and Steve's condition or not it was never going to be released until next year or later. the 4s fits with the trend we have seen for the last couple of years and could have been the truth all along

GRuizMD
Oct 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It was actually a picture of one of the samsung phones.

kingsrule5
Oct 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
It's the 6.... When they announced the 4 they said they started work on it at the same time as the 3gs but of course they had a full year longer to make it better, That is what they are doing here with the 4s and 6...

Are they skipping an iphone 5?

Laird Knox
Oct 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
Never has so much been read into so few pixels.

Azadre
Oct 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
Still there...

acslater017
Oct 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Man, there MUST have been a redesign in the works.

-Multiple case designers started making their cases wider but skinnier
-Multiple journalists (e.g. Josh Topolsky) received credible tips about it
-iPhoto itself seems to have referred to a redesigned iPhone!

To those who say the graphic designer must have been lazy, it takes more work to come up with an original image than to base an image off your company's one phone. :rolleyes: (at the time, the iPhone 4)

Tsaxmafia
Oct 12, 2011, 08:13 PM
Spoken like someone that has no clue that tech takes an easy 2-3 years to go from design to on the shelf. It is highly possible that there are many things that Steve had his hands all over that we haven't seen yet.

yeah cause 1 million pre-orders is all the sales they are going to get.

It's very possible that any thing like the rumored iPhone 5 was merely in the testing stages and Steve's condition or not it was never going to be released until next year or later. the 4s fits with the trend we have seen for the last couple of years and could have been the truth all along

Did you even read the two posts you replied or did you just start typing so fast you didn't have time?

shartypants
Oct 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
Never has so much been read into so few pixels.

Yeah I know. Oh wait, I think those are images of the iPhone 6 and a iPad 3!! :rolleyes:

MartiNZ
Oct 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Man. Imagine what we'd be seeing pictures of if they really -wanted- to fuel speculation :D.

bacaramac
Oct 12, 2011, 09:00 PM
Sloppy...I don't think so. I think we will see it next year. Until then, I'll enjoy my iPhone 4s for a year. Did I mention I love the iOS 5 and all the updates today. Just awesome.

clibinarius
Oct 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
I bit the bullet and got an iPhone 4s. I wanted a new form factor, but the naming conventions, plus the big deal Apple is making about 4G (See: AT&T is NOT 4G to Apple), suggests to me the next product will be named the iPhone 4G, and being with a 4, will probably have the same design as the current iPhone 4.

I doubt there'll be a redesign until 2013-partially because Apple MIGHT move to AMOLED at that point. I doubt they'll do that knowing Apple until three things are done-better power efficiency with light colors (AMOLED is worse than LCD here), iOS has a custom anti-burn in feature that works without distracting from the experience, and the display without gimmicks can get to the same resolution as the Retina Display with costs being decent.

Why retool the plants for a bigger LCD screen and phone when you're going to simply get AMOLED or maybe even backlit E-Ink in the end? Apple is still going to manufacture 3.5" LCDs when they switch, aren't they?

I just don't see a 4"+ LCD. Not because I want the most up-to-date iPhone. I just don't see Apple wanting to spend the money to do it, and iPhone 4S preorders prove they don't really need to. A 4"+ AMOLED, though? I can see that, certainly. Is there anyone making Retina Display resolutions anywhere near the ppi of the iPhone in a product larger than the iPhone? I do not believe so...but Nexus Prime might change that, which (2012 being a test year) might finally convince Apple to switch...

Pooshka
Oct 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Stop teasing us already, Apple!

MacBoucher
Oct 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
Still there...

iPhoto keeps crashing, I cannot have it open for more than 3 seconds before it dumps.

Laird Knox
Oct 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah I know. Oh wait, I think those are images of the iPhone 6 and a iPad 3!! :rolleyes:

You have been misled by the rumor mill. That is the icon for the upcoming iCheeseGrater and iCuttingBoard.

goobot
Oct 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
Are they skipping an iphone 5?

The iPhone 4s is the iPhone 5, the 5 means 5th generation, which is what the 4s is.

NAG
Oct 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
Obviously the person who creates the little icons in iPhoto is sleeping with one of the iPhone 5 designers. Scandalous! I can't wait until the Siri engineer finds out.

ajcadoo
Oct 13, 2011, 12:58 AM

this was my exact idea that i mentioned last week and i think it is extremely probable.

BC2009
Oct 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
if you squint your eyes just right then you can see....

djrod
Oct 13, 2011, 02:49 AM
Still there...

That's the "after" , see the articles photo, before the release the iPhone had a rectangular home button and now the iPhone in the picture has the regular rounded home button

macphin
Oct 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
Or the "iPhone 5" design could have been a controlled leak for some reason. Either to gauge public opinion of a proposed design, or possibly to discover the source of an internal leak.

I agree. It's a controlled leak.

Giuly
Oct 13, 2011, 03:58 AM
The iPhone 4s is the iPhone 5, the 5 means 5th generation, which is what the 4s is.
I throw in that the iPhone 4S is the 2.5th generation, while the iPhone 5 is a 3rd generation phone.

1st Gen - iPhone, iPhone 3G (same guts plus 3G (3.6MBit/s), redesigned case), iPhone 3GS (bumped in speed, uprated 5MP camera, 7.2MBit/s HSDPA)
2nd Gen - iPhone 4, iPhone 4S (bumped in speed, uprated 8MP camera, 14.4MBit/s HSPA+)
3rd Gen - iPhone 5, iPhone X (bumped in speed, uprated 12MP camera, 28.8MBit/s LTE (http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/atandt-demos-speedy-lte-calls-28-8mbps-downloads-realistic-for-re/))

However, we might see the iPhone 5 equipped with LTE already. 28.8MBit/s HSPA+ would do as well, but that wouldn't help AT&T customers, would it? Unfortunately, my crystal ball broke.

this is funah
Oct 13, 2011, 06:28 AM
im putting this here for the record:

perhaps the redesigned "iphone 5" is actually an iPad mini... hear me out...

After reading this article (http://modmyi.com/content/5538-component-suppliers-say-ipad-mini-coming-2012.html), and no new iPod Touch coming out, it may begin to make sense.

With retina displays being rumored for the iPad 3, perhaps they could also do a retina display of 1024x786 at about 5 inches and make an iPad mini.

AmICrazyorwhat?

Kilamite
Oct 13, 2011, 06:35 AM
I think it's just a generic image and nothing more. Given that they replaced it with an iPad and iPhone, that icon makes far more sense.

Why would they need the icon to look like the iPhone 5 so badly when it isn't a noticeable icon and doesn't offer any detail?

It was just a generic image that's gotten out of hand.

bretm
Oct 13, 2011, 08:15 AM
Check out the tiny little iPhone icon in find my iPhone iPhone app. Same icon! Guess they missed one. And my guess is the 5 almost made it to production but only a couple mockups were made.

msmith2112
Oct 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
Even the current icon in iTunes looks more like the wider, "iPhone 5" everyone is speaking of.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/msmith2112/ScreenShot2011-10-14at93609AM.png

gnozh
Oct 14, 2011, 09:19 PM
That's interesting.