Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccalleri

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
The last keynote in june said that AirPlay mirroring would be on ios5 devices and now I am reading that I need a 4s?? People r saying that u need the a5 chip? That is BS. How did the developers use it prior to the 4s? And why would they mention it at the June keynote without mentioning it would only work with the new iPhone being released (4s)!?!? It was even all over their website after the June keynote!!!! Sooooo disappointed!!!!

What gives??

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple said that AirPlay mirroring was going to be for the iPad 2 running iOS 5. They never said anything about it being on the iPhone 4. The developers used iPad 2's to do AirPlay mirroring.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Why is their no mirroring? I think its pretty dumb...the iPhone 4 [should be*] capable of doing it and the 4S should be able to do it easily...you don't need an A5 to do it..

EDIT: Now that I think about it...I've seen some pretty bad computers manage to do some pretty "graphically complex tasks".

*See YouTube for hacked mirroring.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The last keynote in june said that AirPlay mirroring would be on ios5 devices and now I am reading that I need a 4s?? People r saying that u need the a5 chip? That is BS. How did the developers use it prior to the 4s? And why would they mention it at the June keynote without mentioning it would only work with the new iPhone being released (4s)!?!? It was even all over their website after the June keynote!!!! Sooooo disappointed!!!!

What gives??

Sorry but you are mistaken. They never promised it would work on any devices running iOS 5, only iPad 2 and then iPhone 4S (announced in new conference last week).

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Exactly. All I heard was iPad2. Never heard anything about it coming to the iPhone or iPod touch.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Why is their no mirroring? I think its pretty dump...the iPhone 4 is capable of doing it and the 4S should be able to do it easily...you don't need an A5 to do it..

Because it requires heavy duty processing power (especially graphical processing) to get it done. ;-)

Gyrene

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
One thing I learned about Apple years ago was that it doesn't matter if it "will" work on your phone, but instead that it "will" work without causing strain on the device. This is the exact reason why Siri is only on the 4S and not part of the iOS 5 update. Yes, Siri can work on the iPhone 4 and 3GS but the system performance will not be as good.

secksthoi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
The iPod Touch is being used as a remote control for the game running on an iPad 2. The iPad is doing the AirPlay mirroring.

Ah I see. More so as a remote rather than direct mirroring. I thought the OP meant the entirety of 'iphone to ATV' feature was wiped from today's update. Still really cool in my opinion.

ccalleri

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
Apple said that AirPlay mirroring was going to be for the iPad 2 running iOS 5. They never said anything about it being on the iPhone 4. The developers used iPad 2's to do AirPlay mirroring.

Ok. I didn't say that they said that it was going to be on the iPhone 4 but that it will be part of ios5 which iPhone 4 has.

Something else. No gestures for first gen iPad!?!?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Ok. I didn't say that they said that it was going to be on the iPhone 4 but that it will be part of ios5 which iPhone 4 has.

Something else. No gestures for first gen iPad!?!?

iOS 5 on the iPad 2 only, the 4S didn't exist at the time. The gestures where never more than a developmental test on the iPad 1G. Apple never said they would become a feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.