PDA

View Full Version : Apple confirms Beatles court date

MacBytes
May 6, 2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple confirms Beatles court date (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050506105540)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

PlaceofDis
May 6, 2005, 09:59 AM
well the Apple Legal team sure has their hands full

it will be interesting to see how things pan out in all of these situations

iGary
May 6, 2005, 10:40 AM
So what happens if Apple loses the Apple Corps lawsuit?

nbs2
May 6, 2005, 11:06 AM
So what happens if Apple loses the Apple Corps lawsuit?
Apple will have to release a special Beatle iPod. In the spirit of the white album, it will be white on the front with the traditional chome back. Of course, half the Beatles are dead, and they others are apparently very protective f their image, so they won't sign the back. :)

Eniregnat
May 6, 2005, 12:37 PM
Apple will have to release a special Beatle iPod. In the spirit of the white album, it will be white on the front with the traditional chome back. Of course, half the Beatles are dead, and they others are apparently very protective f their image, so they won't sign the back. :)

Actually, that's what will happen if the Beatle's loose.;) If Apple looses it will have to change its name to something else, like Appple. All you have to do is miss spell things these days and it's all-ok. ;) All kidding aside.

In reality, think about the irony. Apple is named after Apple Corps, as Woz and Jobs loved the Beatles. This hasn't stopped at least some songs from being sold on iTunes (Though I bet not from the Apple Corps catalogue). It seems to me that Apple Music is in need of some cash. It doesn’t seem as though there could be "brand" confusion, as Apple Corps doesn’t sell music to individuals, but rather licenses songs and recordings based off part of the Beatles catalogue.

At worst, it's a few hundred million dollars out of apples pocket, with perhaps some minor changes to branding, at best it’s a win Apple Computer which will, in the long run, have benefited from the publicity.

PlaceofDis
May 6, 2005, 12:41 PM
i dont really see why this is an issue, Apple Corp is a music label/distributer/licenser and Apple Computer is a computer/software company that sells products, one of those products are licensed longs from other Labels

Stella
May 6, 2005, 01:02 PM
Its due to prior agreements with the two Apple. This is an ongoing saga. One of the agreements was that Apple Computer would stay out of the music ( very broad ), or something like that.

I expect someone will correct me :-)

Actually, that's what will happen if the Beatle's loose.;) If Apple looses it will have to change its name to something else, like Appple. All you have to do is miss spell things these days and it's all-ok. ;) All kidding aside.

In reality, think about the irony. Apple is named after Apple Corps, as Woz and Jobs loved the Beatles. This hasn't stopped at least some songs from being sold on iTunes (Though I bet not from the Apple Corps catalogue). It seems to me that Apple Music is in need of some cash. It doesn’t seem as though there could be "brand" confusion, as Apple Corps doesn’t sell music to individuals, but rather licenses songs and recordings based off part of the Beatles catalogue.

At worst, it's a few hundred million dollars out of apples pocket, with perhaps some minor changes to branding, at best it’s a win Apple Computer which will, in the long run, have benefited from the publicity.

Eniregnat
May 6, 2005, 02:41 PM
Its due to prior agreements with the two Apple[s]....One of the agreements was that Apple Computer would stay out of the music ( very broad )...
You pretty much got it.

You just about have it summed up, and though I don't have the exact agreement in front of me, I recall that those that reported on the original settlement said that it was a very broad settlement. I thought that there were some penalties already set up should Apple Computer violate the agreement.

“Stella Artois - the Goddess of Beer!”

Carpe Cerevisi -Seize the beer!

dotdotdot
May 6, 2005, 02:57 PM
Remember when Apple was a small company? No lawsuits...

Now they've exploded and are getting sued left and right - but its like Karma - they sued everyone, even BLOGGERS.

I hope Apple wins the lawsuits, especially Tiger Direct and Apple Corps - they both waited a while - there was the Apple iPod and Apple iTunes a WHILE ago but they wait till its popular to strike. And Apple trademarked Tiger a WHILE ago, before Jaguar even! And they wait till NOW to sue.

Also, they are getting sued because Apple's iPod just HAPPENS to work with Apple's music store... uh, yeah...