Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Am I losing my mind? In mobileME's web app we could set a different reply to address.
In other words: I had a me.com account with my work email forwarded to it. And had my default address being my work address. This is no longer possible it seems?

Or am I missing something?

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Am I losing my mind? In mobileME's web app we could set a different reply to address.
In other words: I had a me.com account with my work email forwarded to it. And had my default address being my work address. This is no longer possible it seems?

Or am I missing something?

i thought i saw that setting in the new iCloud site settings....

Souli

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If someone finds out how to do that I would be pretty damn happy. It is the only thing keeping me from moving from gmail.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
It's kind of a deal breaker for me using iCloud as my web based email access. I hope we're just missing something.

edit: I just re-read the iCloud help page. DAMN.

2v8gylv.jpg

Last edited:

Souli

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Will do the same. Let's hope they add that soon.

Edward To

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Apple really needs to add this functionality back. Can't see why they would remove such a crucial feature.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Apple really needs to add this functionality back. Can't see why they would remove such a crucial feature.
At first I thought they were just doing it during the migration, to throttle traffic a bit. But, it's in their user guide.

Please consider sending them feedback from the link I posted above.

JamesM

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2007
Yeah, it's swell, isn't it?:(

I had it working great as well, mail lands on my server and forwards to me.com which then gets pushed to my iPhones.

The account used to send out was using my server for SMTP but MobileMe for IMAP. Sent mail was from my personal domain and it was also synced with MobileMe

Now it seems that they've done something with the security because iCloud uses Apple Token as the as the authentication type but when you create a new account that option isn't available.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I had it working great as well, mail lands on my server and forwards to me.com which then gets pushed to my iPhones.

The account used to send out was using my server for SMTP but MobileMe for IMAP. Sent mail was from my personal domain and it was also synced with MobileMe

Now it seems that they've done something with the security because iCloud uses Apple Token as the as the authentication type but when you create a new account that option isn't available.
Yep. So I have a silly work around for the time being. For the iPhone, it's the same, a NON cloud based iCloud account (i.e. I don't let it choose iCloud, but set it up myself, thus retaining the ability to set the reply address), and on the web, my yahoo archive of the same email account. But that defeats the purpose of an imap style set up. It still works on the mac, at least.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
I'm guessing that there's not much hope to have a gmail address integrated with iCloud is there... should I may as well just start the transition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.