Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neumanngroup

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I too was a bit perplexed on why I needed 10.7.2. I installed it on my MacBook Air but after moving my MobileMe account to iCloud (and the rest of my family's accounts) I can make a best guess on why 10.7.2 is required.

If you want to use Mail on your Mac (with your new iCloud account) you need 10.7.2.

If you do not care to use Mail and only want to check email on your iOS5 device or using the web interface, you do not need 10.7.2.

I can only speculate that Apple's new iCloud servers are using some sort of proprietary email messaging platform that is not IMAP, nor POP, nor Exchange (obviously) and in order to connect to that proprietary server you need an updated OSX Mail app which is embedded within the 10.7.2 update.

This is only a guess but I do think this is true.

At any rate, good luck!

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
...If you want to use Mail on your Mac (with your new iCloud account) you need 10.7.2.

If you do not care to use Mail and only want to check email on your iOS5 device or using the web interface, you do not need 10.7.2.....

You can get the mail on anything that supports IMAP, however it may not sync contacts and calendars.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4929

If you created an iCloud account from an iOS 5 device or Mac running OS X Lion, but have other devices or computers that don't meet the system requirements, you may be able to use some features of iCloud with limited functionality. Please note that devices which do not meet the system requirements for iCloud are not supported by Apple or AppleCare for use with iCloud.

Mail
If you want to check your iCloud Mail, you can do so by visiting icloud.com from a Mac or PC (as long as it meets the browser requirements for icloud.com). Alternatively, you can configure a mail application that supports IMAP via SSL for use with iCloud Mail. More information is available here.

Calendars
If you want to check your iCloud Calendars, you can do so by visiting icloud.com from a Mac or PC (as long as it meets the browser requirements for icloud.com).

Contacts
If you want to check your iCloud Contacts, you can do so by visiting icloud.com from a Mac or PC (as long as it meets the browser system requirements for icloud.com).

Additional Information
* When moving from MobileMe to iCloud, if you have computers that do not meet the system requirements for iCloud, you may notice the following behaviors:

Mail may repeatedly give an alert message until you update your server settings for iCloud.
Syncing of Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, or other data types may fail silently, or may give generic alert messages.
iOS 3, iOS 4: You may receive an alert that your MobileMe account has expired.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I was extremely frustrated by the lack of Snow Leopard support but decided to move my MobileMe account to icloud anyway....

At first i was pleasntly surprised that my calendar synced with the icloud form iCal. Excellent.

Until 15 minutes later when my next sync was scheduled and iCal came back with the error that it couldn't find the server etc, etc.

So I guess it had just migrated the mobileme calendar to icloud online and doesnt actually support iCal on Snow Leopard, thus rendering iCal on my desktop completely useless.

I now have to login to iCloud to check my calendar at my desktop, takes a minute or 2 longer to login and navigate to the cal on iCloud, but still a pain in the arse!!

Mail still seems to work with Apple mail and i didnt sync contacts via MobileMe (as it always seemed to get confused as to which contact was the latest and therefor correect enrty, deleting new numbers at its own will!!). So if apple would only add the simple sync functions work in SL then A LOT of customers will be extremely happy.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
MobileMe user here...

Yeah, I'm quite frustrated by the lack of Snow Leopard support. I have access to a few machines... My work MBP is still on SL because of IT support, my home MB is Core Duo only so I can't upgrade to Lion... My partner's iMac IS Core 2 Duo but it's hardly ideal for me to sync my stuff there, and my old home media server is a G5 so there's absolutely no hope there ;)

So I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford some new hardware, unless Apple manage to provide a SL update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.