PDA

View Full Version : Apple Not Offering Apple ID Merging

MacRumors
Oct 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/apple-not-offering-apple-id-merging/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/overview_title-150x172.png

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/overview_title.png)In September, there had been some hope (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16/apple-working-on-allowing-the-merging-of-multiple-apple-ids/) that Apple was working on a solution to allow users to merge multiple Apple IDs into one. The news came from an encouraging phone call from Apple's executive relations team saying that they were aware of the issue and seemingly working on it.

Now that iCloud has launched, many have been wondering if anything had come of the previous discussion. One reader emailed Tim Cook and received an official response. Apple is simply pointing users to a support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4895) outlining your options for managing multiple Apple IDs. Unfortunately, merging is not one of the options.

Their recommended solution is, of course, to use the same Apple ID for both store purchases and iCloud. They also explicitly state that merging simply isn't an option:Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one??
You cannot merge two or more Apple IDs into a single one. You can, however, use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). See "Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases" above for details. The document does outline the possibility to use one Apple ID for store purchases and another for iCloud, but that's as far as it goes.

Article Link: Apple Not Offering Apple ID Merging (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/apple-not-offering-apple-id-merging/)

levifig
Oct 13, 2011, 12:26 AM
That's a really "old" article and no update has been made recently. That is the exact wording since I saw it the first time a couple of months ago, before rumors of merging were surfaced.

I don't care if Apple allows merging publicly but we testers had to create new IDs for iCloud pre-migration and are now stuck with two, unnecessary, IDs and some of us already paid for iTunes Match and storage upgrades… :\

NTurner42
Oct 13, 2011, 12:27 AM
Stupid, just stupid.

Edit: I guess the way I look at it, when iTunes Match hits, I'll just activate it on my @me.com address and it'll just essentially move it all over anyway. Mostly what I have is music, apps are aggravating though...

al256
Oct 13, 2011, 12:28 AM
Eventually something has to give. This simply can't continue... I've been with the iTMS since 03. More complex situations continue to rise with the drm and Apple's other services.

alphaod
Oct 13, 2011, 12:28 AM
This is disappointing… my MobileMe, iTunes, and Apple.com accounts are all separate. I would have liked to merge them into one, or at least have them linked in some way. I'm pretty sure linking should be easy; just look at all the other websites that let you link multiple aliases.

pancakedrawer
Oct 13, 2011, 12:30 AM
I'm sure Apple will allow this in the future.
There are many people who signed up today and there will be more in the future now that we're over the disaster that was MobileMe.
Insisting that people keep their old gmail accounts going doesn't sound like it would fit well with Apple's idea of enhancing their ecosystem.
:apple:

Mak47
Oct 13, 2011, 12:34 AM
My issue is simply that I'd like my @me.com email address to be my single Apple ID, instead of an old gmail account that I really no longer use.

Mail, contacts, calendars etc. all use that address as my iCloud account as of today. All the other one is for is for iTunes purchases.

While the current solution technically works fine, it just seems silly that Apple can't find a way to make this work. I can change my Apple ID in iTunes to a new email address if I want to with no trouble, why not my @me.com address?

Amadeo
Oct 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
This is something I was JUST trying to figure out minutes ago. And you are certainly right. They continued to screw us over in this regard. They know that this is becoming a serious problem. They had have known that most of the people signing up for MobileMe would already have AppleIDs, and maybe, just maybe, they'd like to only manage one account, rather than two. So, now, here I am, on my iPad, trying to juggle these two accounts. It's utterly ridiculous and frankly unacceptable that after years, literally years, they offer no solution whatsoever. Only workarounds and urge us to essentially look away and act like we don't see the problem.

EricNau
Oct 13, 2011, 12:42 AM
Unacceptable. It's Apple's flawed system that lead individuals to adopt multiple Apple IDs in the first place. Any MobileMe customer of 3 years has at least two: email@mac.com and email@me.com. Three if they had an Apple ID prior to joining (most probably did).

Apple employees, therefore, have at least four (their company email address). In addition to that, I had one given to me by iTunes Store support for iTunes, and one prior to the usage of email addresses (if I recall correctly, back then it was just a username, but later they required an email address which became your Apple ID).

At last count I have 6 Apple IDs. It's ridiculous. It's probably only a matter of time before Apple gives me another.

ryan.stewie
Oct 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I activated iCloud on my current gMail Apple ID but they won't let me change my primary login email to the new iCloud @me.com address, even though they are the same Apple ID! Ridiculous!

wordoflife
Oct 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
That's what I did. I created a new Apple account for iCloud (while I have the other one for iTunes store).

roland.g
Oct 13, 2011, 01:04 AM
Apple in part created this problem with the .Mac -> MobileMe -> iCloud transitions.

I had an iTools account forever ago, free, that ended @mac.com and eventually became a pay for service called .Mac. This is since 2000/2001.

In 2002-2003 I even worked for Apple and had my .Mac account as my Apple ID as an employee. Then of course it was also my iTMS account. And then the transition to MobileMe began the confusion.

My email is me.com but I sign into Apple.com and iTS under mac.com still. They should have transitioned Apple IDs at that time and not just email addresses. The switch now to iCloud just clouds the whole thing even more and makes it more fragmented and frustrating.

henry72
Oct 13, 2011, 01:18 AM
This is sad. Fortunately, I can use my expired MobileMe account for my iCloud account. Gmail for the App Store which I used to share with my parents :)

WissMAN
Oct 13, 2011, 01:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

How quick the praise ends.

Doctor Q
Oct 13, 2011, 02:00 AM
Unacceptable. It's Apple's flawed system that lead individuals to adopt multiple Apple IDs in the first place. Any MobileMe customer of 3 years has at least two: email@mac.com and email@me.com. Three if they had an Apple ID prior to joining (most probably did).
I'm in the crowd who had an Apple ID before MobileMe. To make matters worse we have a MobileMe Family Pack so my wife and have could each use a personal Apple ID (matching our email addresses) but use a third Apple ID for our shared calendar and contacts.

Now that Apple's software licenses allow me to install my purchases on Macs I control, my wife wants to share what I purchase, but there seems to be no way to combine our accounts into one. I've asked Apple employees in various Apple retail Stores and I get a different story each time, including some saying that Apple's license permitting me to install purchases on "any computer I control" doesn't apply to my wife's Mac, even though I bought it and manage it, because Apple is actually licensing to each person, not each account. But if that's true they ought to let me share the Apple IDs I have as a person.

audieddie
Oct 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
all my purchases were on a non-me.com account, and I while I also have a me.com account, I wanted the iCloud to be associated with the one that had all the purchases associated with it. Of course certain features only work with a me.com account. stuck.

Well....

The me.com account wasn't used that much. I can part with it, but I still wanted all the features on the non-me.com account. I went to the iCloud.com site, used my old gmail account info, and then went to settings/mail. I selected the mail option, and it prompted me to CREATE a me.com account. I tried my old existing one, and it failed, so I simply made a new one.

The new one is now fully functional, all iCloud features now work, and it's directly associated with my old gmail account. in other words, I log in with my old gmail account, but the email account is a proper me.com address, giving me both to work independently, but function together to give me iCloud. THis is actually ideal, since the gmail account I do use for specific purposes and needed to co-exist with the me.com email account. so in effect I am down to one AppleID :P

thelonelylimo
Oct 13, 2011, 02:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I activated iCloud on my current gMail Apple ID but they won't let me change my primary login email to the new iCloud @me.com address, even though they are the same Apple ID! Ridiculous!

Exact same issue. I called Apple 3 different times attempting to get around it and hoping for a different answer. Unfortunately, there is none.. and this is all I needed for reinsurance.

and by the looks of this.. I don't see a fix in the near future. I hope I'm wrong.

Apple in part created this problem with the .Mac -> MobileMe -> iCloud transitions.

I had an iTools account forever ago, free, that ended @mac.com and eventually became a pay for service called .Mac. This is since 2000/2001.

In 2002-2003 I even worked for Apple and had my .Mac account as my Apple ID as an employee. Then of course it was also my iTMS account. And then the transition to MobileMe began the confusion.

My email is me.com but I sign into Apple.com and iTS under mac.com still. They should have transitioned Apple IDs at that time and not just email addresses. The switch now to iCloud just clouds the whole thing even more and makes it more fragmented and frustrating.

iBookG4user
Oct 13, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm in the crowd who had an Apple ID before MobileMe. To make matters worse we have a MobileMe Family Pack so my wife and have could each use a personal Apple ID (matching our email addresses) but use a third Apple ID for our shared calendar and contacts.

Now that Apple's software licenses allow me to install my purchases on Macs I control, my wife wants to share what I purchase, but there seems to be no way to combine our accounts into one. I've asked Apple employees in various Apple retail Stores and I get a different story each time, including some saying that Apple's license permitting me to install purchases on "any computer I control" doesn't apply to my wife's Mac, even though I bought it and manage it, because Apple is actually licensing to each person, not each account. But if that's true they ought to let me share the Apple IDs I have as a person.

Can't you log in to the Mac App Store with the Apple ID that you want to download the app from, download the app, then log out and log in to the other Apple ID? You would just need to log in to the other Apple ID whenever you want to update an application.

ericvmazzone
Oct 13, 2011, 02:13 AM
This is absolutely unacceptable. All my purchases are on an email that will be going away in a few months, I have a me.com email that I want to use as my appleID. I WILL have all my purchases associated with that me.com account, I AM THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ****ALWAYS**** RIGHT. Come on Apple give the customer what they want!

jonnyhart
Oct 13, 2011, 02:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My biggest ball ache is that I live in Finland and have 1 ID for the Finnish store, but also another for the UK store from when I lived there. There are some apps that can only be downloaded from each store and updates have always been a pain (having to log in under each ID for all updates to take place.) Now I have a fairly even split of apps belonging to each ID I can only see misery ahead. For example, yesterday I paid for and downloaded 3 magazines to my iPad using my uk ID. After updating to ios5 and signing in with my Finnish ID, those magazines are no longer available to me and by the time I can change and log in with a the UK account they will be out of date. Thanks. Why can't multiple ID's be associated with a single device? For the live of god, why?!

g.c.
Oct 13, 2011, 02:30 AM
So I have a MobileMe account and my iTunes account Apple IDs. I found a loophole that worked for me.

I contacted MobileMe live chat support, had them completely close and cancel my account. They said in 24 hours the email will be available for me to choose for use with iCloud.

I backed up all of my emails to my Mac, synced all of my contacts, calendars, etc. to my mac and removed them from my iPhone and iPad. Implemented iCloud syncing for everything but notes and email until my email is available tomorrow.

Does it suck to be without my email for a day? Maybe... but it will all be nice neat and tidy tomorrow :D.

Rend It
Oct 13, 2011, 02:39 AM
So I have a MobileMe account and my iTunes account Apple IDs. I found a loophole that worked for me.

I contacted MobileMe live chat support, had them completely close and cancel my account. They said in 24 hours the email will be available for me to choose for use with iCloud.

I backed up all of my emails to my Mac, synced all of my contacts, calendars, etc. to my mac and removed them from my iPhone and iPad. Implemented iCloud syncing for everything but notes and email until my email is available tomorrow.

Does it suck to be without my email for a day? Maybe... but it will all be nice neat and tidy tomorrow :D.

So, are you saying that you're using your iTunes account for the Apple ID, but by canceling your MobileMe account, you could use your old @me.com address with iCloud?

Please post after you attempt this. I'd love to know how it turns out. Still, this is not the same as merging the iTunes ID into the @me.com address, so that @me email equals Apple ID. That would be the more elegant solution.

jacktorrance
Oct 13, 2011, 02:41 AM
What happens if I change my email address in my iTunes account to the same address used for iCloud? Will updating my apps purchased with the current iTunes ID require logging in using this address?

Essentially, can I change my iTunes loin email and just update apps as normal?

cindyhy
Oct 13, 2011, 02:56 AM
Why do Apple refuse to do that? This problem has been bugging people (me included) for years. It certainly isn't a technical problem. So is it legal? Do they want to discourage people from getting multiple accounts? Why?:confused:

MiataMac
Oct 13, 2011, 03:04 AM
What happens if I change my email address in my iTunes account to the same address used for iCloud? Will updating my apps purchased with the current iTunes ID require logging in using this address?

I don't think you can do that, as the e-mail you use for iCloud is now an AppleID, so it's taken. So you'll need a 3rd address to juggle around with I guess. But yes, your apps etc. are associated with your account, no matter what e-mail address you change it to (except of course e-mail addresses already in use on another AppleID).

----------

So, are you saying that you're using your iTunes account for the Apple ID, but by canceling your MobileMe account, you could use your old @me.com address with iCloud?

Please post after you attempt this. I'd love to know how it turns out. Still, this is not the same as merging the iTunes ID into the @me.com address, so that @me email equals Apple ID. That would be the more elegant solution.

I read somewhere yesterday that a guy managed to use his old expired MobileMe e-mail address on his new iCloud account, the e-mail address was simply re-activated. So I was thinking of trying to do the same. Contacting MobileMe (livechat) sounds like a good idea, I'll try that and see if it works. Hopefully nobody else will be able to take my @me.com address before I do, after it has been cancelled.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
I've got three IDs because they keep changing services!

To set up iCloud I had to convert them all to iCloud but I only really use the one for purchasing. MobileMe I have to keep for mail etc even though I rarely use the mobileme mail. And the other is .mac from the iTools days.

I dont even know what i can and cant do with all these accounts anymore. My main one doesnt have all the services of MobileMe, MobileMe has just had a swathe of services taken away and after updating everything last night. I dont see any evidence that iCloud actually did ANYTHING?!

Im confused!

photographypro
Oct 13, 2011, 03:22 AM
If people would read the directions, you would know to use your .me account as your iCloud login. If you had a .mac email, which I did, that should have been changed to .me years ago. Then, use your Apple iTunes store account Apple ID under Store.

For most people, this solves most problems.

The biggest problem is that many impulsively go ahead and enter into iCloud the Apple ID they use the most, the one from the App store.

Since I had a MobileMe account, and didn't want to screw things up, I carefully read the instructions from Apple.

That said, it would be nice if Apple would allow merging of Apple IDs. I don't understand why there is now a 90 day hold on using an Apple ID on an IOS device (I actually have a new one for the Apple Italy store, since I'm moving to Italy next year).

Confuzzzed
Oct 13, 2011, 03:24 AM
Is all this mess partly due to licensing T&Cs with content providers in iTunes so people can't share libraries that easily? It's a real pain and recently, my iTunes started telling me that some music was asigned to my .mac email address which has been defunct for 5-6 years and I couldn't load it up to a new iPod! MESS

OllyW
Oct 13, 2011, 03:33 AM

Apple employees, therefore, have at least four (their company email address). In addition to that, I had one given to me by iTunes Store support for iTunes, and one prior to the usage of email addresses (if I recall correctly, back then it was just a username, but later they required an email address which became your Apple ID).

At last count I have 6 Apple IDs. It's ridiculous. It's probably only a matter of time before Apple gives me another.

I seem to have gained another one overnight but still can't use the one that should work with iCloud.

It's a bloody mess. :(

MacBoobsPro
Oct 13, 2011, 03:38 AM
If people would read the directions, you would know to use your .me account as your iCloud login.

But all my purchased content is on another account?!

chenks
Oct 13, 2011, 03:43 AM
the problem i have is that i had an appleid long before i had a mobileme account.

my appleid is blah123 (and used to purchase all apps, music, video etc)
my mobileme account was blah123@me.com

now that i have migrated mobileme to icloud, it seems that apple is not able to be sensible and merge these 2 account together.

i now can't use "find my friends" as it uses the icloud account and i can't verify the email address attached to the icloud account (which is the @me.com address) as it is already in use with the original appleid account!

NightFox
Oct 13, 2011, 03:48 AM

A potential solution, until someone snipes your email address. Not likely a problem if you're rupert.monkeyface43096@me.com, but a big one if you're dave@me.com.

wwchris
Oct 13, 2011, 04:00 AM
I have to say, this is one of the poorest product rollouts I have ever seen. They are changing far too much all at the same time with multiple ID's. I am still unable to figure out how to get iCloud working and I consider myself a pretty advanced user. So once I have set up iCloud on my mac, how do I for example get a Mac Numbers files to appear there so I can open it on my iPad? Do I need to save it someplace special? Also, I accidentally mistyped my "you can never change this email" trying to use my old .me email and it accepted the mistyped one with no "are you sure" and now it is "forever linked" to a misspelling of my name.

vitzr
Oct 13, 2011, 04:07 AM
This is absolutely unacceptable. All my purchases are on an email that will be going away in a few months, I have a me.com email that I want to use as my appleID. I WILL have all my purchases associated with that me.com account, I AM THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ****ALWAYS**** RIGHT. Come on Apple give the customer what they want!

It is fact that Apple has a long history of resisting many common sense solutions. They like to "Think Different" even if it means upsetting their loyal customers. It's Apples way of showing who's boss. A bit juvenile, but very "Apple". They've always maintained they know better than the customer. Sadly many fanboys buy into that line of thinking and turn over their power to Apple.

mackiwilad
Oct 13, 2011, 04:28 AM
I'm in the same boat. iTunes account is different to my MobileMe account. I have iTunes accounts from many countries as well as I have moved around a lot.
I hope Apple will do something positive about this....

g.c.
Oct 13, 2011, 04:38 AM
A potential solution, until someone snipes your email address. Not likely a problem if you're rupert.monkeyface43096@me.com, but a big one if you're dave@me.com.

This did cross my mind, but my email address is more like the former than the latter. So I am not too concerned. I'll post the results tomorrow, but I do not anticipate any issues.

MiataMac
Oct 13, 2011, 04:54 AM
If people would read the directions, you would know to use your .me account as your iCloud login. If you had a .mac email, which I did, that should have been changed to .me years ago. Then, use your Apple iTunes store account Apple ID under Store.

I agree and I tried this as well, but this meant I had to change my primary (oldest) AppleID, the one I use for purchases, to an e-mail address nobody knows, otherwise I can't add it to my MobileMe-iCloud account for iMessages, since it already belongs somewhere else.

Of course the same problem applies the other way around, if people knows your MobileMe address and are likely to message you that way around, they won't be able to, unless you use your MobileMe as iCloud.

----------

I've just tried this, but the MobileMe live chat guy wasn't very helpful at all, said it couldn't be done. At the end, I gave him a direct link to your post (above) and told him that was exactly what I was trying to do, and he replied:

Thank you for that link. I can't comment on rumors about products that Apple hasn't officially announced. We don't comment because we hope to protect customers from making decisions based on inaccurate or incomplete information. Once this process is passed down to us a an official document then everything will be ok to do. But until then this cannot be done.

So I've given up, hoping that AppleID merging may come eventually :)

Žalgiris
Oct 13, 2011, 05:11 AM

Same here, though i can ignore this for now, but in the near future they should do something about it.

danckwerts
Oct 13, 2011, 05:19 AM
When you think of all the criticism which RiM have received over a couple of outages, it's amazing how little flak Apple have taken for this. It is a complete mess which could have been avoided if they'd put any thought or resources into it. As far as I can see, I've got to junk either my mobile me email address or all my purchases. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

KALLT
Oct 13, 2011, 05:28 AM
I currently have two Apple IDs, one from an old MobileMe address and one for iTunes. The problem I encountered was that I enabled iCloud on my Apple ID, but could not add my old MobileMe address, to which I still have access, although I haven't used it for three years. Instead, I should have created a new MobileMe address. What I did now is the following. I enabled iCloud on my Apple ID without using e-mail. I added another iCloud account with my MobileMe address and only enabled e-mail. Thus now I have two iCloud accounts, one of which uses all iCloud features and one that only uses e-mail. So far, it works perfectly well. Although I definitely would prefer to have one unified account.

vitzr
Oct 13, 2011, 05:35 AM
Many people fail to see that Apple is asserting it's power and control. It's an ego thing thats not about to change. Apple is always right, and they're gonna show you.

In today's climate, Apple can do no wrong.

In the rare event there is a problem, Apples already got a fall guy to blame it on, with thousands of Apple apologists to back them.

Someone's got to win, and that someone is Apple.

Now get out your wallet & pay up. LOL :)

(without humor everyone loses)

MiataMac
Oct 13, 2011, 05:37 AM
Now get out your wallet & pay up. LOL :)

Dude, iCloud is free :D

jshort
Oct 13, 2011, 06:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This really really sucks. It's the biggest downfall in their whole iEcosystem. How does this encourage anyone to use iCoud, Apple's @me.com emails, etc. Now in iOS 5 they've really a light on how frustrating this is!

mm1250
Oct 13, 2011, 06:27 AM
A really simple fix would be to change your email in iTunes Store account to your new @me.com email account but when I tried to do that it wouldn't let me. I'm sure if Apple just changed that by allowing a @me.com under the iTunes account we would be all good.

I must say, I had to read the FAQ to make sure I was doing everything right, but I really like to have 1 account vs. 2. Really sucks, this whole process goes against Apple's policy of simplicity.

mr.johnnyboy
Oct 13, 2011, 06:59 AM

So after being on the chat for about three hours (for a full hour I was waiting on the advisor to get online with me) they said it is NOT possible and they completly denied that someone was able to do such a thing. So yeah wasted two hours for nothing, stuck with 2 @me.com accounts and an apple ID. Thanks Apple you're (NOT) the best!! :mad:

dlimes13
Oct 13, 2011, 07:05 AM
Well, this is making me clean out the apps I don't want (or can't have since I paid for them!). Loss of about 13 apps (7 games) for me. Oh well.

vvebsta
Oct 13, 2011, 07:10 AM

This article doesn't mean they can't or aren't considering to do this eventually. We all need to send them feedback soon as possible...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Optheduim
Oct 13, 2011, 07:22 AM
whats annoying about it, is, say i get married or have a death in the family... i can't take my wife's music or inherit a part of an estate...

hopefully nobody dies in my family tho :cool:

Sbrocket
Oct 13, 2011, 07:29 AM

I'm not sure about your third one, but the first two are not separate Apple IDs. They're just aliases for the same account. You can use either to log in with the same Apple ID. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to access any developer assets if I logged on from xyz@me.com rather than xyz@mac.com.

blevins321
Oct 13, 2011, 07:32 AM

I don't think you could change to your iCloud mail specifically, because it would be "in use." If you switch to something else though, you'll notice when you sync with a computer for the first time that some apps aren't "authorized." It'll prompt you to login with the address that purchased it. However, login with the current information for that account and it'll authorize all the previous addresses too.

I did this when I left university and about 90% of my music purchases (pre-iPhone apps) were under that address. Still pops up occasionally if I ever reformat my system.

tardegrade
Oct 13, 2011, 07:44 AM
I have a slightly different problem.

I have only ever had one Apple ID, my store ID. Never had .mac or .me or any of that.
I setup iCloud with my one and only Apple ID which is just fine. Then logging into iCloud in the browser to use the webmail aspect is tells me that I need to create a .me.com email address. Fine that's no problem. So I do that and use the webmail to send an email.

Now how do I get that .me.com email address on to my iPod touch?

If I try to set it up as a mobileme address it tells me that mobileme has been migrated to iCloud. If I try to set it up as iCloud it tells me that iCloud is already in use with my Apple ID.

That's not very well thought out, unless I'm missing something. A little help?

MTShipp
Oct 13, 2011, 07:47 AM
Well my situation is odd too with a gmail.com and a @me.com account.

During BETA, I went through the mobileme.com/move site and migrated my mobileme to iCloud.

Then from iTunes (where I use a gmail.com for AppleID) I purchased the Match service.

When everything went live yesterday, I configured iCloud on my iPhone and iPad devices to be my new iCloud account (converted from mobileme).

Somehow, everything carried over and I have 25GB of iCloud storage now.

Though complicated for me to keep up, I seem to have a functioning iCloud account and a functioning iTunes account that is using a gmail.com address.

The only thing not working is iMessage to my iCloud account.

JRoDDz
Oct 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
When does this end? I have too many damn appleID's. Pretty soon I'm going to need a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them.

vrillusions
Oct 13, 2011, 08:25 AM
I'm thinking they will let you use your icloud @me.com address as your primary apple id at some point. Right now I use the same apple id for itunes and icloud. But then I had to create a @me.com for I think notes sync. Have no intention of using my @me.com email. I could see one point in the future where you can choose which is your "primary" email (the address you used for apple id or the new me.com email) so you could then use your @me.com address as your main email and also as your apple id.

Merging multiple apple ids (eg: john.doe@gmail.com has some itunes purchases and jane.doe@gmail.com has others) probably won't happen given the response thus far.

mrboult
Oct 13, 2011, 08:30 AM
ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE MOBILE ME BUT DO NOT USE THAT EMAIL ADDRESS AND HAVE ANOTHER EMAIL USED FOR THEIR 'APPLE ID' (related to store purchases)

Disable/delete MobileMe from all devices (computers and iOS) your info/account will remain active online (MobileMe.com)

Now create a new iCloud account (in system preferences / Settings) using your Existing Apple ID email address (gmail for me, the one I already used for all store purchases)

Once you have created an iCloud account (using your Apple ID/email address associated with store purchases) log into your new iCloud account on all devices (system preferences / settings)

Now all your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photo stream etc etc should sync with iCloud.

Now. If you still want to use your iDisk & Gallery. . . . .
It is time to convert your MobileMe to iCloud (www.mobilme.com/move/)
You have to do this in order to use iDisk & Gallery alongside iCloud.

Once you have done this you will have another iCloud account (with your MobileMe email as the 'log in' Apple ID)
Simply forget about this as you have already setup iCloud with your regular email address (the one used for your Apple ID associated with store purchases)

Having done the 'move' you can now sign in to mobileMe again and continue to use iDisk & Gallery alongside iCloud until MobileMe finally expires next year.

This advice is for people like me who have been using MobileMe for sync purposes but never used the @me email and have no desire to continue using that @me email as an 'Apple ID' after MobileMe is gone.
Now both iCloud and store purchases are both linked to the same Apple ID (my gmail account)

Kid A
Oct 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
Ahem... cough*Qwikster*cough, cough... Excuse me. Something caught in my throat.

This is dumb. Has been dumb for years. But now it's double-dumb. They'll back off. They can't let this continue. In 20 years there will be 5 times more Apple IDs than people on Earth.

maxmiles
Oct 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
And what about those who have moved to another country? I couldn't use my old apple ID for purchases, given I live in Canada now and can't use any American payment methods. So I've been forced to use a new ID and now this issue. Thanks to those who have posted workarounds, I'll be attempting them..

arilev
Oct 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Don't know if it means anything but https://appleid.apple.com hasn't been working for a while now nor am I able to change account info from iTunes.

For the record I'm in the same boat as most of you, with an old iTunes account (firstlast) and a mobileme/icloud account with (firstlast@mac/me.com) where the primary email address of my iTunes account is firstlast@me.com and cannot be changed.

Currently on iOS 5 I'm using firstlast to log into the store and firstlast@mac.com to log into iCloud and as an additional method of contact on Facetime.

But I'm unable to use Find my Friends because it only let's me log on with firstlast@mac/me.com but then tells me that I must verify my firstlast@me.com which I can't do because it's tied to my old iTunes account which makes it (for some insane reason) unverifiable.

Something has to be done and I hope this downtime is that something.

Old Muley
Oct 13, 2011, 09:05 AM
<sigh> I miss eWorld...</sigh>

NAG
Oct 13, 2011, 09:12 AM

You do realize that @me and @mac are aliases, right? They're not distinct AppleIDs. As far as the AppleID prior to iTools/MobileMe, guess I'm lucky that I adopted iTools so early that the only thing on that old AppleID is a QuickTime Pro and QuickTime MPEG2 license (both of which are now essentially useless).

On the other end though, there are people that just were reckless with how many AppleIDs they created (and have more email addresses than you can count).

In the middle are a lot of people that don't have the time to make sure their AppleID situation is okay (took me months for them to fix data associated with my AppleID across the entire database after a social engineering hack someone did to my account when talking to a support representative...I repeat, they didn't "hack" me, they "hacked" Apple support). Most people won't put up this stuff to have a pristine AppleID situation.

I have a slightly different problem.

I have only ever had one Apple ID, my store ID. Never had .mac or .me or any of that.
I setup iCloud with my one and only Apple ID which is just fine. Then logging into iCloud in the browser to use the webmail aspect is tells me that I need to create a .me.com email address. Fine that's no problem. So I do that and use the webmail to send an email.

Now how do I get that .me.com email address on to my iPod touch?

If I try to set it up as a mobileme address it tells me that mobileme has been migrated to iCloud. If I try to set it up as iCloud it tells me that iCloud is already in use with my Apple ID.

That's not very well thought out, unless I'm missing something. A little help?

How you logging in (i.e. what username)? Additionally, iCloud mail has been down for me basically all morning.

John.B
Oct 13, 2011, 09:22 AM
Then I probably made a mistake setting up iOS 5 on my 3GS last night... :(

I created a new (iCloud) @me.com account during the iOS 5 setup on my iPhone that I will eventually want to use for the bulk of my email traffic. I also want to use it for syncing calendars/contacts/etc. to my Mac mini running Snow Leopard, but I don't have that set up yet.

I still have the old @me.com account from MobileMe that is what is currently syncing contacts/calendars between my Mac and iPhone. I use that email account sparingly.

Can't I just reconfigure the mini and my iPhone to sync with the new iCloud account instead of the old MobileMe account? It should all sync up to the data on my mini, right?

(FWIW, my iTunes account is currently still setup to use an @yahoo.com account I've had for ages. I don't even know whether I can port that over to a different account...)

The upside is that I did manage to reserve the @me.com ID that I'd like to use for the future, before someone else claimed it... :apple:

ade2bee
Oct 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
I've just been onto Apple from 8 this morning, it is now 15.19

A: sorting out being locked out of my iTunes account

B: My iPad has slowed down to half the speed, despite reinstalling iOS5.

C: My bluetooth headphones aren't working properly with my music player on the iPad

D: All my clipping shortcuts for Evernote AND Springpad no longer work on the shinny new safari

F: My Mac takes twice as long to boot as it did do post updates last night, has starting stalling when opening software and I've had force quit open more times than I care to mention... their answer... Upgrade

and that's just the beginning, what gets me is the fact that my mother using a 2 year old 399 windows 7 machine, has total iCloud syncing with it... A Macbook Pro only just turned 1 with Snow leopard? Oh no. All the Apple customers have to upgrade... it's twoddle

TheRealTVGuy
Oct 13, 2011, 09:52 AM

Why won't Apple allow us to merge multiple ID's ?

Because Joe Blow and all of his friends would swap their ID and login info so they could share all of their purchases with each other. Can you imagine how the record companies and movie studios would react then?

tbrinkma
Oct 13, 2011, 09:59 AM
When you think of all the criticism which RiM have received over a couple of outages, it's amazing how little flak Apple have taken for this. It is a complete mess which could have been avoided if they'd put any thought or resources into it. As far as I can see, I've got to junk either my mobile me email address or all my purchases. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

No, you don't have to junk either.
1) Use your mobile me account as your iCloud account.
2) use the account you used for your purchases for your iTunes account.

Done.

Isengardtom
Oct 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
My problem is as follows :

I have an apple ID (yahoo mail) for iTunes purchases. I also use this mail on my iPad with the mail app.

I would have liked to use the same ID for iCloud and also iMessage. This didn't work however.
In the case of iMessage, it said the yahoo e-mail was already in use, so I (temporarily) used my work email to set up iMessage on the iPad.

In the case of iCloud when setting it up on the iPad 1 it got stuck on "verifying" and when I tried on my mac I didn't receive a verification mail despite it claiming it had sent one. I resolved it by creating a me-account enabling iCloud.

So now I have to use 3 mail accounts for 3 different things. Can I change this?

chenks
Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
Don't know if it means anything but https://appleid.apple.com hasn't been working for a while now nor am I able to change account info from iTunes.

For the record I'm in the same boat as most of you, with an old iTunes account (firstlast) and a mobileme/icloud account with (firstlast@mac/me.com) where the primary email address of my iTunes account is firstlast@me.com and cannot be changed.

Currently on iOS 5 I'm using firstlast to log into the store and firstlast@mac.com to log into iCloud and as an additional method of contact on Facetime.

But I'm unable to use Find my Friends because it only let's me log on with firstlast@mac/me.com but then tells me that I must verify my firstlast@me.com which I can't do because it's tied to my old iTunes account which makes it (for some insane reason) unverifiable.

Something has to be done and I hope this downtime is that something.

this is the exact same problem i have.

kirky29
Oct 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
So, what I've done now (well in the middle of it right now).
I thought, sod it. Deleted my Gmail account from my iPhone & iTunes - and am currently in the process of rebuying all my apps for my main MobileMe account.

Can't stand all this, it's just causing headaches!

h0mi
Oct 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have 2 icloud accounts and my me.com account is giving me grief, telling me that the userid/password is wrong when I try to retrieve emails. The conversion also failed to copy my contacts- that me.com used to have all my contacts but not anymore.

(edit) the mail thing appeared to be due to not being able to connect to the servers, its working now.

Mev75
Oct 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
I found some explanations under the following link:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

Seems that you can explicitly use two apple ids on iOS devices, one for iCloud and one for all the purchases in the stores. At least for people having only two accounts with separated purpose this is good news.

Good luck!

(nevertheless, apple could/should definitely do better!)

heisenberg123
Oct 13, 2011, 10:19 AM
i was able to setup my iCloud using my @gmail, the same email i use for itunes purchases, the ony thing i cant use in the cloud is email becasue it wants you to have a @me account but i dont understand what email in the could even means, my @gmail is set up on my iphone and my mail.app for my macbook book pro, so whats the point fo mail in the cloud?

shartypants
Oct 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
I also have two Apple IDs, one with @mac.com/me.com and another with @yahoo.com. Interestingly, when I turned on iCloud for the <name>@yahoo.com account, it gave me a corresponding <name>@icloud.com email account. Does that mean I can also use the <name>@icloud.com as my Apple ID? It is kind of a mess, and I imagine if it was easy Apple would have allowed account merging, but I'm sure it could be a bit tricky, and seeing how loaded down their servers are now, I don't blame them for not offering it right now. Maybe after things setting down they will support it? Hope so.

EDIT: Now it looks like my @icloud.com account changed to @me.com. ?? Now I just with I could transfer all my contact and calender data from my old @mac.com account to this new @me.com account...

waldobushman
Oct 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
Merging just needs to be an option. And perhaps splitting as well.

Technically, my understanding is that the Apple ID is also used as part of the DRM. Now that would be a significant technical issue as well.

rquick
Oct 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
This is a common problem with any system that uses email addresses as user ids. Email addresses change over time as we move and change services. The easy solution is to allow users to change their ids to match their new email address. For whatever reason, Apple has decided not to allow that, which has resulted in some people having multiple Apple ids. It never occurred to me when I created my first Apple id some years back that I would be stuck with it forever. With all of the change in Apple's own email systems, you would think that there would be enough Apple employees with the same problem that they would go ahead and fix it. It would be nice if Apple would at least explain why they don't want to allow changing names and merging accounts so we could help them get over it. My personal guess is that it is based in some paranoia about drm but I can't think of a possible scenario where that really makes any sense. As with most of corporate America, this is probably an example of some high level executive who assured everyone this would never be an issue or if it was allowed it would be the end of the world and now just refuses to acknowledge he was wrong.

World Citizen
Oct 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
I don't know but can't we do it South Park Style?

Like, upgrading to an family account...

Or is this trick only for the Terms and conditions, and not for apps...

like "family apps" ?

vitzr
Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 AM
My personal guess is that it is based in some paranoia about drm but I can't think of a possible scenario where that really makes any sense. As with most of corporate America, this is probably an example of some high level executive who assured everyone this would never be an issue or if it was allowed it would be the end of the world and now just refuses to acknowledge he was wrong.

Hint:

His initials are SJ. Widely known as a very brilliant yet self centered narcissist.

Never wrong, always right, with a proclivity to make sky high claims like "It's Magical & Revolutionary"

Highly revered, he was untouchable. The perfect human.

IndyGopher
Oct 13, 2011, 11:50 AM
I AM THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ****ALWAYS**** RIGHT. Come on Apple give the customer what they want!

The customer is always right... until they are wrong. And with that attitude of petulance and entitlement, you are very much in the wrong.

Anonymous Freak
Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah, for some of this, this is *REALLY* a mess.

I have an AppleID that isn't an email address, just a user name. I also have that same user name as an @me.com (which I've had as @mac.com since iTools on Mac OS 9.)

Previously, the two were separate, and easy to keep separate. My AppleID was used for iTunes purchases, my @me.com address was my 'email/calendar/etc' account. Honestly, I didn't even notice that they were separate. I just logged in as my user name. MobileMe automatically slapped the @me.com on the end, so I didn't even think about it being separate.

Now after updating my iPad to iOS 5, I'm getting them mixed up all over the place. I accidentally logged in to the iTunes Store with my @me.com name, and have now accidentally 'purchased' a couple free apps (I was wondering why nothing was in my "Purchased" section!) Even worse, my iPad is now linked to that account rather than my proper iTunes Store AppleID, which means I have to wait 90 days before I can turn iTunes in the Cloud on again!

Ryanoko
Oct 13, 2011, 11:56 AM
Prior to iCloud i had two Apple ID's, one from years ago when I had my first iPod and my MobileMe account. When they announced iCloud, I cancelled my MobileMe subscription, therefore removing that account and making my email available once again.

When they released iCloud yesterday, I logged in using my only ID (the one i use for all my purchases) and then when enabling "Mail & Notes" I re-registered the @me.com address that I'd cancelled a few months ago.

Now, I only have one ID which is a @gmail.com address, with my @me.com address that I registered through iCloud showing up as an alternate email address, rather than a whole new ID.

... obviously doing this wouldn't be much use to someone using an @mac.com address as you'd no longer be able to re-register it. However, if you don't mind being without your email for a few days or so, and are confident you'll be able to re-register it, i'd recommend doing what I did!

kjohn
Oct 13, 2011, 11:59 AM

The biggest problem is that many impulsively go ahead and enter into iCloud the Apple ID they use the most, the one from the App store.

Since I had a MobileMe account, and didn't want to screw things up, I carefully read the instructions from Apple.

That said, it would be nice if Apple would allow merging of Apple IDs. I don't understand why there is now a 90 day hold on using an Apple ID on an IOS device (I actually have a new one for the Apple Italy store, since I'm moving to Italy next year).

Actually, it's kinda funny. Since I was a .mac user, I can actually enter my MobileMe account and it automatically changes it to .mac.. So when I converted to iCloud, it shows a mac.com address, in the different stores and email it shows me.com... very annoying.

ziwi
Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
I ask this perhaps from ignorance. If someone has a mobile me account with a .mac or .me email and a different email for itunes purchases, can't they set up the iCloud to the .mac or .me and then change the email address for the apple id to match? Then it is just one id. Is there a reson this would not work?

kingtj
Oct 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
I was wondering how Apple would handle this, and it looks like they took the easiest path -- not changing anything with the current ID situation.

I did notice that when I upgraded my iPad to iOS5 last night, the little setup wizard it launched asked me in one of its steps to enter my MobileME user login/password info. I wasn't quite sure if it REALLY meant that, or if it was wanting my iTunes login (which is an address ending in mac.com that I created for iTunes store use and for a free IM account on iChat back in the day). At least it did have a small help dialog box it popped up when I clicked a link on the screen for help if I was "unsure" that explained it was, indeed, the newer MobileME login it wanted at that point.

Truthfully, I'm thinking the idea of merging these IDs together into one "master" account is an undertaking that's pretty resource-intensive on Apple's side of things. If I were them, I wouldn't have attempted it when there's plenty going on with simply getting people online with iCloud accounts and syncing all the initial music libraries people are going to want to do all those initial syncs of at the same time.

I agree it needs to happen before long, but this might be the smartest way to migrate things smoothly. Let people get upgraded and figure out what they've got that's new first and do all the ID merging a few months down the road.

zacheryjensen
Oct 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
When you have a family of iOS device owners, this policy makes so much more sense than merging. I have two other people I want logged in for purchases into the same account, but I don't want them logged into MY EMAIL ACCOUNT obviously. That would be stupid.

Now, optional merging/migration would be fine, but ultimately, it isn't that big of a deal as long as they never stop allowing separate iTunes vs. iCloud accounts. In fact, you can have different iCloud, iTunes, and Game Center accounts if you want.

I don't really see it as a problem.

It is a non-issue.

John.B
Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hint:

His initials are SJ. Widely known as a very brilliant yet self centered narcissist.

Never wrong, always right, with a proclivity to make sky high claims like "It's Magical & Revolutionary"

Highly revered, he was untouchable. The perfect human.

Oh, you mean the guy who pressured the record labels to remove DRM from music downloads? Effectively opening up people's iTunes libraries to be usable outside of iTunes, iPods, etc.? That guy?

Rend It
Oct 13, 2011, 12:49 PM

This article doesn't mean they can't or aren't considering to do this eventually. We all need to send them feedback soon as possible...

This.

Go to that link and repeat what you're saying in this thread.

vitzr
Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Dude, iCloud is free :D

Dude.... in your dreams... read all about it, then you will see that it's not.

Only "part" of it is. If all you need is a "partial" taste of cloud goodness then perhaps you can get by.

It's generally a good idea to have the facts before challenging.

Cheers :)

JoelMarcey
Oct 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
Does canceling your MobileMe subscription really *remove* the account, i.e. freeing your ID for future use? Or does it just cancel MobileMe, leaving the MobileMe ID in tact?

When someone tries to log into MobileMe (me.com) with an ID from a cancelled MobileMe account, they get the attached picture, making it seem like the ID IS NOT really free to register again.

But some on here say they cancelled MobileMe and was able to re-register their MobileMe ID again for use for Mail and Notes in a non-MobileMe iCloud account.

What is going on?

Rodimus Prime
Oct 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
I ask this perhaps from ignorance. If someone has a mobile me account with a .mac or .me email and a different email for itunes purchases, can't they set up the iCloud to the .mac or .me and then change the email address for the apple id to match? Then it is just one id. Is there a reson this would not work?

No so simple but not a hard one either.
It basicly tells me that Apple has a bad database set up for it and they do not want to go in and do the fixing they need to do to allow this. It is going to come back to bite them even worse the longer they go on with this bad set up. Over all it could easily be done merging the accounts.

DrKarl
Oct 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Inability to merge, or at least link, Apple ID's is so wrong on many levels. I appreciate those who pointed out that you can at least log onto the store with a different ID to get the purchases paid for with that ID. But, what a hassle.

As another poster, my wife and I started with different iTunes ID's linked to different credit cards. Now that the Mac App store has been here, we want to install (legally according to EULA) apps on both of our Macs without paying twice. We'd be happy enough to merge. We'd be happier if the accounts could be "linked" ... so that we were recognized as a household for downloads.

Conceivably one person could have multiple ID's, each for a different credit card. Or other reasons. Why can't these be merged .. the person paid the licensing fees and so is the end-user... why can't Apple deal with it? (Apple is not alone - I had two Adobe ID's - one personal, one business - but Adobe finally supports merging ID's and all licensed products show up in my single ID there now.)

IOS 5 and iCloud setup: I was not even ASKED what ID I wanted for iCloud during the IOS 5 setup. I was asked for my iTunes/AppStore ID and PW. Then when I got to the iCloud part, a totally different Apple ID was pre-filled in and was not (and is not) editable. What's with that? (I was not a MobileMe customer - only used the trial period way back when.)

My least pleasant Apple experience ever so far...:(

Karl

Sedulous
Oct 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
It is very annoying that they cannot clean-up the AppleID system. Furthermore, I HATE that an AppleID has to be an email address. Let me keep the ID and manage what email address it is linked with. Very un-apple as it is.

Star Watcher
Oct 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised they didn't make everyone register for an iCloud.com account but maybe I shouldn't say that too loud. I'm at four plus 3 family accounts for a total of 7. I hope some of the software engineers that worked on iCloud have families so they can know our additional pain. They need merging and linking.

Does apple have an official reason why they are unable to merge Apple ID accounts or is it just policy? Can an insider shed some light?

Keep looking up!

manu chao
Oct 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
For example, yesterday I paid for and downloaded 3 magazines to my iPad using my uk ID. After updating to ios5 and signing in with my Finnish ID, those magazines are no longer available to me and by the time I can change and log in with a the UK account they will be out of date. Thanks. Why can't multiple ID's be associated with a single device? For the live of god, why?!
I have signed into iCloud with one Apple ID, have my iPad backup to iCloud but still have apps bought with a different Apple ID available on it. What am I doing differently from you?

----------

It is very annoying that they cannot clean-up the AppleID system. Furthermore, I HATE that an AppleID has to be an email address. Let me keep the ID and manage what email address it is linked with.
"Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. For more information, follow the steps in this article. 
"

Or is your beef that you want to keep the 'name' of your Apple ID but change the associated e-mail address? And what would be the value of keeping the 'name'? Why does it matter to you what 'name' your Apple ID has?

boymom75
Oct 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
I've tried to get this answer elsewhere: My son has used two ID's to purchase music, one when he was a kid at home w/ us and our itunes Apple ID, the other after he "grew up" and established his own. His computer obviously can now be authorized to both itunes ID's so his library is intact. But what about when he upgrades to an ios5 device? Will that still be possible? Can't the device now only be linked to one Apple ID at a time, with a 90-day wait between changes?

I will have the same issue with my other son if I decide it's time to separate our accounts. And with automatic downloads and completely different taste, it seems like this will become more of an issue. I have always assume machines would always be able to be authorized to play purchases from more than one account.

EricNau
Oct 14, 2011, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure about your third one, but the first two are not separate Apple IDs. They're just aliases for the same account. You can use either to log in with the same Apple ID. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to access any developer assets if I logged on from xyz@me.com rather than xyz@mac.com.

You do realize that @me and @mac are aliases, right? They're not distinct AppleIDs. As far as the AppleID prior to iTools/MobileMe, guess I'm lucky that I adopted iTools so early that the only thing on that old AppleID is a QuickTime Pro and QuickTime MPEG2 license (both of which are now essentially useless).
I don't know why my account(s) is (are) would be different, but the passwords are not the same for my @me and @mac accounts. That leads me to believe they're distinct accounts.

And not to nit pick, but I made no such claims about accounts. I said Apple IDs, and whether or not they refer to separate accounts, they still represent 2 separate Apple IDs. ;)

tardegrade
Oct 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
How you logging in (i.e. what username)? Additionally, iCloud mail has been down for me basically all morning.

I've tried setting it up as an additional mailbox 'Settings > Mail > Add account > Other' now and it still throws up errors.

I'll leave it until everything's calmed down.

Edgecrusherr
Oct 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have about 4, maybe even 5 Apple IDs between .Mac, Mobile Me, iTunes, Apple Dev, and there's one more I'm forgetting (I haven't made the move to iCloud yet).

Hopefully they're working on this. Hopefully they're working on a way to make Lion less sucky too.

rquick
Oct 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40

This article tells you how to change your Apple ID which is good. Although the problem many of us have is that we have purchases under two IDs and need to merge them.

Old Muley
Oct 14, 2011, 10:47 AM

Done!

I'm getting tired of Apple rolling out all of these services only to have them supplanted in a less-than-elegant manner. I've been around the Apple ecosystem long enough to remember when eWorld was rolled out in the mid 1990's only to be shuttered after less than two years. Then it was iTools, .mac, me.com and now iCloud. Given all the issues so far, I'm not getting a warm and confident feeling about the future of iCloud.

kingtj
Oct 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
Personally, I'd recommend he take the time and effort to sign in under one of those IDs (maybe the old one he used when he was still at home?) and convert all of that music into a non-DRM'd format (probably MP3?). To do this, he can tell iTunes to burn the music onto recordable CDRs as music CDs, and then re-rip those back into iTunes as MP3 songs. Then he can use all of it with the other ID without any problems, since the converted files are just generic music files, no longer attached to a particular Apple ID.

iCloud says it will index all of your music and even offer to re-download higher bitrate AAC versions of anything it finds you've got that Apple can match to music they sell. So essentially, they'd probably pick up on all those converted MP3s and let him replace them with good quality AACs again, except all tied to the one ID he wants to use for everything.

Problem solved!

(And yeah, I realize it's kind of a pain and uses up some blank CDRs too -- but look at it this way. It's a good way to ensure you have a backup of your music on physical media too, and you can re-use those discs to play in a CD player in your car or what-not, so not a total waste.)

I've tried to get this answer elsewhere: My son has used two ID's to purchase music, one when he was a kid at home w/ us and our itunes Apple ID, the other after he "grew up" and established his own. His computer obviously can now be authorized to both itunes ID's so his library is intact. But what about when he upgrades to an ios5 device? Will that still be possible? Can't the device now only be linked to one Apple ID at a time, with a 90-day wait between changes?

I will have the same issue with my other son if I decide it's time to separate our accounts. And with automatic downloads and completely different taste, it seems like this will become more of an issue. I have always assume machines would always be able to be authorized to play purchases from more than one account.

boymom75
Oct 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the solution, although that son is a musician now, so you can't even fathom the amount of burning. And won't he lose all the names of songs and artitsts (my computer guy told me this would happen)? And have to manually enter each and every one in again? Also, is there a way to see which songs were purchased with the first ID and just burn those? (He's a musician and has more music than anyone on the planet.)

pulp88
Oct 14, 2011, 04:15 PM

And... Did it work?

mackiwilad
Oct 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
And... Did it work?

I very much doubt it will work.
We have not been able to edit MobileMe accounts like Aliases since June.
I tried - no banana. :(

So, what I did is used the AppleID that has the most purchased music attached to it (and is the one I am most commonly on the iTunes store) and used that for iCloud.
When you are setting up iCloud on your Mac you can set up the free synced iCloud email account and I will start using that from now on. The contacts and calendars will sync to the new account anyway, so no probs there and I mostly used Flickr and Facebook for photos - so Gallery wasn't a big loss for me.

Only problem is the MobileMe mail, which I have a lot of. I will keep using it until they turn it off as it still syncs fine, but I hope Apple will do something great with it.. as in merge the accounts!!

kingtj
Oct 15, 2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah... for people like him who own a lot of music, burning all of it to CDRs isn't necessarily real practical. Your computer guy is correct too... When you burn the music onto music CDs, you lose all the ID tag info that was on the digital versions, so you'll get stuck re-entering the artists/song names manually after re-importing.

I haven't tried this program yet, but it looks like a promising tool to make the process a lot easier:

http://mac.tuneclone.com/index.php

Basically, it looks like it creates a virtual CDR disc in the computer's memory and automates the process of ripping tracks to it and then back to MP3 files (preserving the ID tag info in the process).

Thanks for the solution, although that son is a musician now, so you can't even fathom the amount of burning. And won't he lose all the names of songs and artitsts (my computer guy told me this would happen)? And have to manually enter each and every one in again? Also, is there a way to see which songs were purchased with the first ID and just burn those? (He's a musician and has more music than anyone on the planet.)

yanki01
Oct 15, 2011, 12:55 PM
oh well

Tilpots
Oct 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
Apple fail. This is infuriating.

jeb2u
Oct 17, 2011, 08:26 PM
For what it's worth, I was on the phone with Apple Support tonight regarding a MobileMe issue, and I asked the advisor if there was a way to merge my Apple IDs. I have an older gmail account with 200+ iTunes purchases on it that I'd like to be able to access under my current @me Apple ID. The advisor told me to email iTunes support and that if I was persistent enough, sometimes they would port over previous purchases to a new Apple ID. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I had emailed iTunes support earlier in the week about merging Apple IDs (I figured the more they hear from frustrated users, the more likely they are to change the current policy). Of course, I was told I can't merge Apple IDs. So I sent a follow up email tonight, so we'll see what they say.

Sedulous
Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
Firstly, it is poor security because half your credentials are your email address rather than a (random user defined) ID. Second, it is easier to maintain a single, consistent ID than trying to remember what email address for which it was registered. Third, as many have already pointed out, is the current fragmented nature of Apple's various services and ID that has created this mess. A non-email based ID could be used to link all the various accounts under a single account name.

I have signed into iCloud with one Apple ID, have my iPad backup to iCloud but still have apps bought with a different Apple ID available on it. What am I doing differently from you?

----------

"Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. For more information, follow the steps in this article. 
"

Or is your beef that you want to keep the 'name' of your Apple ID but change the associated e-mail address? And what would be the value of keeping the 'name'? Why does it matter to you what 'name' your Apple ID has?

mcote
Oct 27, 2011, 11:23 AM
This issue shows that Apple's mantra of "It Just Works" is often times complete BS.

Apple will have to solve this issue eventually for one simple reason... it's killing iTune sales. Tens of thousands of mobileme users are abandoning their iTunes purchases as they figure out that the albums they're about to complete are getting charged for the full album price rather than the completion price due to songs they purchased with a different apple ID.

My firm tracks p2p downloads (song theft); reformed Napster addicts are reverting to their old ways thanks to Apple's incompetence.

lvrkln
Jan 21, 2012, 01:44 AM
It appears as though there has been no traction on this issue.

Maybe this petition will help move things forward. (http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-ceo-permit-a-user-to-merge-or-consolidate-multiple-apple-idsaccounts)

rneglia
Mar 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
Tim Cook said Apple were "working on it".

I, personally, am still annoyed at having to juggle between two iTunes accounts.

Get it done!

zadrian
Mar 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
Just wondering is it possible to combine Apple IDs yet ?

When using iPad, I created an ID for my son that can only download free stuff....

When iPad2 was out, I think he can handle some paid stuff, so I got him a "pre-paid" credit card and another apple ID.

Now iPad3 is out, can "we" combine all out IDs and use onto the new iPad so that we can donate the old iPads ?

Darth.Titan
Mar 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
Just wondering is it possible to combine Apple IDs yet ?

When using iPad, I created an ID for my son that can only download free stuff....

When iPad2 was out, I think he can handle some paid stuff, so I got him a "pre-paid" credit card and another apple ID.

Now iPad3 is out, can "we" combine all out IDs and use onto the new iPad so that we can donate the old iPads ?

It's still not possible to combine Apple IDs.

digitalove
Jun 16, 2012, 08:05 AM
It's so annoying. We are in june, iOS 5 came out in october and we still don't have a way to fix this issue to merge 2 accounts.

Didn't Cook say that they are working on it many months ago..?

harpal999
Jun 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
ya, they really need to offer this option...

Doctor Q
Jun 18, 2012, 01:22 PM
Maybe they've been working on it but have gotten lazy because they didn't have a deadline.

Apple: You have until June 30 to implement this feature!

Let's see if that helps. :cool:

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
Maybe they've been working on it but have gotten lazy because they didn't have a deadline.

Apple: You have until June 30 to implement this feature!

Let's see if that helps. :cool:

Why did you wait this long.... you could have saved us all a lot of pain!

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jun 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
When I first got into the iTunes ecosystem (2008), I created an Apple ID with my @gmail.com address. This hosts all my iTunes purchases from before 2012, and 95% of the apps I have bought for my iPhone, because we didn't have iCloud in Feb. 2011.

Then, when iOS 5 shipped last fall, I made an iCloud account, I ditched Gmail for my email, and moved all my email over to iCloud. Now, all the new apps and iTunes content I buy, is stored on my @me.com address! Whenever I download stuff, I have to bounce back and forth between two accounts!

This is repetitive, Apple! We pre-iCloud users want to take our pre-iCloud iTunes accounts with a Gmail address, an AOL address, an ISP address, whatever you have, and MERGE it with our iCloud account, so we can access the purchased content that is stored on BOTH Apple ID's, by just logging into our iCloud accounts.

This is crazy!

MaCAD
Jun 19, 2012, 11:52 PM
I do understand everybody’s frustrations and I am sympathetic to the situation people are in. Obviously, once you have made multiple purchases on multiple Apple IDs then it is to late, but if you understand the Apple ID system then it works out quite well. It is a little complicated and not the typical simple Apple way but what DRM is easy?

The way I have my Apple IDs setup is that when the iTunes store first opened I did not have a mobileme account so I used my old yahoo email as my Apple ID for song purchases. As Apple diversified, I continued to use my Yahoo email address Apple ID for song, movie, book and app purchases. My wife and I shared this Apple ID for all our iTunes purchases and Apple store purchases.

The iPhone 3G was released and both my wife and I purchased the phone and decided that moblieme syncing was worth the value to us. We purchased the family mobileme plan and used our new me.com addresses to sync our private data. My wife’s me.com email, contacts, bookmarks and calendars sync’d from her Macbook’s user account and my me.com email, contacts, bookmarks and calendars sync’d from my Mac mini. We kept my old yahoo email for purchases, which worked perfectly. This way our private data did not mix, but we could share our purchases. Then when icloud came out we moved our moblieme accounts to icloud and continued to have my old yahoo account for purchases. (I don’t know if people know that you can have two Apple IDs use on the same iPhone at once, one for purchases and one for iCloud.)

This solution allows individuals to have their own personal data (I don’t want to see my wife’s contacts, calendars and imessages) but still be able to share purchases with the family. I think where apple messed up is that everything is called an Apple ID. Apple should have created an icloud ID for personal data and then an Apple ID only good for purchases. You then use the iCloud ID for personal data syncing and the Apple ID for iTunes, Mac App store, iBooks, etc.

If properly thought out in advance, Apple’s current method works but could be much more elegant. I do believe that apple needs to find away in this new digital age to be able to combine and separate purchases. What happens when a couple gets a divorce or kids move out? In the old days they could just split the movies or CDs, now they have to repurchase them. Also when you get married or start a relationship with a person you should be able to combine the purchases. The hard part is that it isn’t just Apple that hasn’t figured this out, its all digital purchases with DRM. I’m no expert, but I’m will to bet that part of the hold up with combining Apple ID purchases has to do with content owners. What’s to say that you don’t purchase a movie on iTunes and then combine yours and a friend’s Apple ID so they can watch the movie and then after they are done watching the movie you then separate the purchase back on to your Apple ID.

PJL500
Nov 3, 2012, 07:46 AM
Tim Cook said Apple were "working on it".

I, personally, am still annoyed at having to juggle between two iTunes accounts.

Get it done!

Yeah, when I got a 4S it would only accept a full email address as an Apple ID so I thought it was a replacement ID. Now, after years of using my Apple ID it's a mess to have two (there are purchases associated with both.)

justinmancini
Nov 3, 2012, 02:30 PM
Imagine if you could merge Apple IDs.. And someone got your password.. They'd be able to merge your account with theirs, and just like that, all of your digital purchases have been stolen. It would no longer be as simple as getting your password changed back. It may even be impossible.

Seems like using a couple different apple IDs/passwords may be a small inconvenience.. But a much safer way to go about things.

levifig
Nov 3, 2012, 11:07 PM
Imagine if you could merge Apple IDs.. And someone got your password.. They'd be able to merge your account with theirs, and just like that, all of your digital purchases have been stolen. It would no longer be as simple as getting your password changed back. It may even be impossible.

Seems like using a couple different apple IDs/passwords may be a small inconvenience.. But a much safer way to go about things.

Wow, talk about doomsday warning! There are ways to implement something like this and still avoid all of that, you know? Like the very common "code" sent to a phone/email, etc… Oh, and how about a backend system where if a customer called reporting a stolen account, they would be able to simply reverse the merger and reset your password?

Seriously: either you have no idea how systems like these can/should work OR you're a paranoid security engineer, of those who think that "average joe" is a target for account theft… :)

justinmancini
Nov 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
Wow, talk about doomsday warning! There are ways to implement something like this and still avoid all of that, you know? Like the very common "code" sent to a phone/email, etc… Oh, and how about a backend system where if a customer called reporting a stolen account, they would be able to simply reverse the merger and reset your password?

Seriously: either you have no idea how systems like these can/should work OR you're a paranoid security engineer, of those who think that "average joe" is a target for account theft… :)

I'm not even going to bother arguing any other points here.

iTunes purchases are non-transferrable. An account merge would have to transfer purchases. Apple isn't allowed to offer this under their various contracts with record labels and the like.

I'm not a security engineer. I understand how people would like the systems to work, but I also understand how they currently do work. :rolleyes:

Ramchi
Nov 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
I think they don't allow this probably for security concerns. If someone hacks your iCloud ID which is probably less secured than Apple Id which does not carry any footprint of Apple associated domains.

That's my reasoning though it is annoying to have multiple accounts!

Remember people having common ids sharing Facebook account with any other systems(Bank or Credit card) were getting hacked.

----------

I tend to agree. This is exactly why we need to have multiple IDs.

Anonymous Freak
Nov 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
I think they don't allow this probably for security concerns. If someone hacks your iCloud ID which is probably less secured than Apple Id which does not carry any footprint of Apple associated domains.

Except for people newly signing up, their iCloud account is their AppleID.

Some people would like to combine them, as they've had iTunes under one email address, and want to consolidate now with iCloud. I know I goofed up and started purchasing apps on the Mac App Store with my (then) MobileMe account instead of my other-email-associated iTunes-linked AppleID. So now I've got Mac apps purchased on one AppleID, and iOS apps, movies, etc, purchased with a second AppleID. (Heck, when setting up a new iPod touch for my kid, I accidentally bought one iOS app on my MobileMe account instead of the AppleID every other iTunes purchase used.

It has nothing to do with "security concerns" since there is the same security between iCloud accounts and non-iCloud AppleIDs.

Bee36
Dec 3, 2012, 09:21 AM
Is this possible? Is Apple working on it? My Mail is a mess.

h0mi
Dec 4, 2012, 07:30 PM
Getting your account hacked is a problem regardless of whether account merging is possible or not and I think that needs to be addressed & dealt with and not merely an excuse for why better handling of accounts for users isn't possible. I'd personally just prefer either to merge my 2 itunes accounts or at least transfer content from 1 account into another.

zainjetha
Oct 29, 2013, 05:18 PM
We should be able to transfer purchases from one ID to another. This is just a pain in the backside, and Apple's stubborn refusal to acknowledge the issue adds fuel to my anger.

phrehdd
Oct 29, 2013, 05:46 PM
Perhaps an easier way to handle some facets of this is to allow "transfer of product license or ownership" between accounts.

As example, if you have more than one iTunes account or another type of Mac ID, you would take what you bought and transfer the ownership of those items until you empty out the account. This doesn't solve everything but its a good start. I know when I started I used a non Mac account for iTunes and later got a Mac ID/account.

Candidly, Apple doesn't have to do it all at once. But they certainly could have made inroads. The word that comes to mind is 'pathetic' that Apple would like to be consider so advance and forward thinking and still lets these issues hang. - What an inexcusable debacle on Apple's part.

TrashCanBin
Nov 9, 2013, 12:03 PM
Perhaps an easier way to handle some facets of this is to allow "transfer of product license or ownership" between accounts.

As example, if you have more than one iTunes account or another type of Mac ID, you would take what you bought and transfer the ownership of those items until you empty out the account. This doesn't solve everything but its a good start. I know when I started I used a non Mac account for iTunes and later got a Mac ID/account.

Candidly, Apple doesn't have to do it all at once. But they certainly could have made inroads. The word that comes to mind is 'pathetic' that Apple would like to be consider so advance and forward thinking and still lets these issues hang. - What an inexcusable debacle on Apple's part.

Because their backend sucks ass. We are lucky they managed to keep it in one piece as it is.

ManhattanBeach
Nov 18, 2013, 05:52 PM
We should be able to transfer purchases from one ID to another. This is just a pain in the backside, and Apple's stubborn refusal to acknowledge the issue adds fuel to my anger.

the sad part is apple simply doesn't have any incentive to do this