Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JacobKei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Hi,
I have a big problem, when I updated to iOS5 and send some Emoji icon to recipient with older iPhone, the message doesn't even been delivered to recipient. Before update to iOS5 all was ok.
Any ideas please? Thank you very much for your soon responses.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Hi,
I have a big problem, when I updated to iOS5 and send some Emoji icon to recipient with older iPhone, the message doesn't even been delivered to recipient. Before update to iOS5 all was ok.

I'm not sure that's a "big" problem, but my recommendation is to delete Emoji... problem solved!

JacobKei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
I'm not sure that's a "big" problem, but my recommendation is to delete Emoji... problem solved!
Ok, so it's not a big problem, but I would like to sending Emoji icons, sometimes are better than words.
Anyone help? :(

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
My brother just asked me about a similar problem. He can't send emoji to anyone not using iOS5 (it just appears as a square). It's not a big issue but does anyone know how to fix this?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hi,

Emoji is automatically installed on iOS 5... you can't delete it...

Rob.S

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Poconos, Pennsylvania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So are the built-in emojis only viewable by recipients running iOS 5? I would have thought that they were standard emojis... Would installing one of the emoji enabler apps change this?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I've got the same problem, is this another apple has to control everything issue?

I'd say it would be Apple using non-standard emoji, but that's just a guess. I'm testing with my girlfriend at the moment and she doesn't ever get the smiley faces unless I type them out manually. Dammit Apple, was this really something you had to do your own way?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this "problem" (not that it's a huge deal, but still).

GF is using her 4, I just got a 4S on launch day. As we all know, the emoji keyboard is now present in iOS5, so I enabled it. I installed emoji free from the App Store on her 4. I can see her emoji when she sends one, but she just gets the dreaded black square from me.

I guess I'll have to update her phone to iOS5 if we want it to work both ways? It was something I was going to do anyway soon, but I can't believe it won't work without her being on iOS5. :mad:

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this "problem" (not that it's a huge deal, but still).

GF is using her 4, I just got a 4S on launch day. As we all know, the emoji keyboard is now present in iOS5, so I enabled it. I installed emoji free from the App Store on her 4. I can see her emoji when she sends one, but she just gets the dreaded black square from me.

I guess I'll have to update her phone to iOS5 if we want it to work both ways? It was something I was going to do anyway soon, but I can't believe it won't work without her being on iOS5. :mad:

It's not just an iOS 5 issue...my woman has an Android, she uses the Handcent app...she could see my smilies fine and I could see hers, which I still can, but all she sees from me now is the square since I upgraded to iOS 5. I was using the paid iEmoticons from the app store for this sole purpose, as we all know smilies sometimes say more than plain old words. WTH does apple want? lock everyone out that's not in iOS 5 or has an iPhone?

delete the original emoji app.
That doesn't fix the problem.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Has anyone found a workaround for this? I'm tired of texting smilies the old fashioned way! :-((

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.