Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
When a new notification comes in, it only shows for a few seconds and then there is no way of knowing you have a notification without swiping down the notification bar. So if you are not looking at your device you won't even know it came in.

Is there any way to keep the notification bar until you acknowledge ie Android, (other than using the obtrusive alerts)

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
There isn't.

Apple needs at least a status bar icon indicating waiting notification. This guessing game is not gonna work.

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
There isn't.

Apple needs at least a status bar icon indicating waiting notification. This guessing game is not gonna work.

I agree completely. A small unobtrusive icon in the corner would be suffecient.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I'm willing to bet at least 80% of iPhone users will accidentally find out about the drop notification bar and not actually realize it's a part of the os when they install iOS 5

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I agree completely. A small unobtrusive icon in the corner would be suffecient.

Unfortunately I filed a bug report (or feature request) for this very thing a few months ago during iOS5 beta 1. There were also many threads in the dev forums but Apple never responded.

A simple "!" in the status bar would do wonders for the notifications. Maybe it could slowly fade in and out if a new notification came in and you haven't pulled down notification center.

For me this is more of an issue on my iPad as I have it set to keep the screen awake for a long time, so I often put it down and don't see new notifications. On iPhone I am pretty much always using it if the screen is on.

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I agree. If an alert comes in and I just happen to not be looking at my iPhone, I'll miss it.

Also, about the number above the icon... I'm not ALWAYS on the home screen. I may have the Music app open or something. Without anything telling me I have a notification, it could take me a while to respond back because I didn't know I had one.

At least with the intrusive way, I could just look at my screen to see a message awaiting my reply.

critic81

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
Just as the jailbreak app Notified did, there should be an option to display a status bar icon that denotes unread notifications are available. Hopefully in 5.1 we will see this!

bigkito

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
i think thats the point of having ur notifications show up in the lock screen.
If ur using ur phone and u get a text message, the banner will disappear after a few seconds but if u havent pulled down notification center they will still show up on ur lock screen.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
back on JB 4.2.1 or whatever it was I had statusnotifier which was great, had one for FB Email and IM as well as sms, if apple implimented this sort of idea that'd be awesome.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

U can also use the LED notification to help remind u about notifications

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

U can also use the LED notification to help remind u about notifications

That's a bright idea... pun intended.

Nah, the LED is way too bright. I tried this out last night... no thank you!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That's a bright idea... pun intended.

Nah, the LED is way too bright. I tried this out last night... no thank you!

How long does it take for the LED light to go off after you get a notification? I've tried leaving my phone upside-down for about 5 mins after getting a text and no LED light went off. And yes it was locked with the screen off.

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
i'd be in favor of apple getting rid of the red number on app icons, completely, and just adding a little symbol in the corner near the battery icon like others have mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.