Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tharris0101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Hello folks, I haven't been home yet to update my AppleTV but has anyone tried the HBOGo app through their iPad to the ATV after the upgrade? This is the only thing that I watch that I have to unplug the ATV and plug in my laptop for.

Also, if it works, how is the quality? I see quite a few complaints about video quality and mirroring.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I tested this last night. Right now you can only send it to the TV by using the Mirroring feature on the iPad.

Note, mirroring is not widescreen and ultimately is the same aspect ratio as the iPad. When shows are letterboxed, you get a small letterboxed version in the middle of the screen, but not full screen...

So, not a truly viable option, but it works. Would like to see the ability to do this more via airplay, which only provides audio if I recall.

Quality was pretty blah. Come on ATV apps store...

makleod

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Weird, I tried it last night and it gave me the "sorry we don't support HDMI out at this time" error...

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Weird, I tried it last night and it gave me the "sorry we don't support HDMI out at this time" error...

I got this too the other day. Hopefully Apple will add an app for HBO Go.

side note: HBO Go will be available on Roku later this month. Don't know if I want to buy a Roku or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.