Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
It seems like this forum is filled with nothing but issues and problems people are having. Is anybody else having a good experience with iOS5? I am! I love everything about it, other than the new useless icons I've got.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
It seems like this forum is filled with nothing but issues and problems people are having. Is anybody else having a good experience with iOS5? I am! I love everything about it, other than the new useless icons I've got.

I always enjoy anything Apple-related, but there's always headaches with newly-released stuff like iCloud and a major update to iOS.

I found myself going nuts trying to delete all the emails (I guess they were backed up or something) off the iPad after upgrading. Even after "deleting emails from the server" with my POP email, hundreds of messages would insist on coming in, and I had to delete all of them by hand.

And, I new iCloud would bring someone like me some headaches. So that was expected...but I needed a new email anyway, so I took the dive.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, but there have been some annoying headaches (as with all account-based internet stuff).

FluffyPop

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
That's what most forums are like, people who don't have any problems don't come here to rant or ask for help.

iOS 5 works fine for me :)

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
iOS5 is working fine for me.

The iCloud stuff is a bit confusing... especially when you have multiple Apple ID's and Contacts, Calendar, etc. sync'd with MobileMe. The last thing I want to do is put a foot wrong and lose some or all of my sync'd data.

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut
So the phone is working with iOS5 fine.. but I'm totally confused about icloud and am having all sorts of sync issues, itunes stopped working...

I don't think they could have made the whole wifi sync vs iCloud & the whole way the appleID, iTunesID, me.com, or gmail.com id's... it's a mess to navigate this.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Everything is working fine for me & wife's iPhones. Not upgraded the iPad yet. I was surprised to see all the fuss on the forums as I've had no probs at all..... must have been lucky.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Everything is working perfectly for me too.

The major obstacle is learning where all the new bells and whistles are.

For those confused on iCloud and Apple IDs, it isn't really that complicated. Apple is giving away "free" Apple IDs when you register a device. If you are a multiple iDevice household (i.e., you have a spouse and kids using the same Apple ID for purchases), then you need to register for a free Apple ID.

This free Apple ID is NOT associated with your store purchased content. It is merely a way for Apple to differentiate between user accounts (i.e., it separates your contacts from your wifes).

If you specifically have multiple iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you will then use this free Apple ID with all of them, so they all stay in sync. Conversely, your spouse will use his/her free Apple ID for all their iDevices.

The main iTunes Apple ID is still shared by everyone in Settings > Store.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
I'm having a great experience with it. I updated to iOS 5 last week and have not had any problems at all. I just want an untethered jailbreak to come out so I can install BiteSMS again. :)

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I'm having a great experience with it. I updated to iOS 5 last week and have not had any problems at all. I just want an untethered jailbreak to come out so I can install BiteSMS again. :)

I'm in the same boat. I need the jailbreak for 3 big reasons.

1. biteSMS
2. haptic pro
3. no icon labels (i effing hate having icon names)

TeamHotch

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
North east
Not had the chance to do much with Icloud other than sync. And not tested Imessage yet. But with only an iphone 4 i can imagine its fairly easy as no other IDs involved.

But I am Loving IOS5. Smoother, faster, notifs better, alot of apps can go as what they were there for is now IOS standard. and my batter is so much better! :D :apple:

----------

I want Bitesms back. (depending how it works with new notifs.)
ToneFX
Lockscreen clock hide. (i hate the clock so big on lockscreen)

Other than that all other tweaks no longer needed as no IOS standard makes me VERY happy :D

Herm

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
For those confused on iCloud and Apple IDs, it isn't really that complicated. Apple is giving away "free" Apple IDs when you register a device. If you are a multiple iDevice household (i.e., you have a spouse and kids using the same Apple ID for purchases), then you need to register for a free Apple ID.

How exactly do you register for additional IDs?

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
I think you're only seeing the negativity because everyone who doesn't have a problem is busy playing with their phones.

heremiah

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
AMERICA- ****** YEAH!!
Lol!!

I think you're only seeing the negativity because everyone who doesn't have a problem is busy playing with their phones.

I just updated yesterday, since the new untethered JB came out, and haven't had any problems as far as form or function of the new OS whatsoever. The only problem I'm having at this point is finding a RELIABLE list of the JB apps that are iOS5 compatable. If your not careful, and don't do your research well in advance of installing a package you could end up in the dreaded "infinite boot-loop" or completely "bricking" your phone, in both cases at this point you will have to restore and re-JB...

because Google is such a black hole, where one could become lost and entangled in massive redirects and false results- I have found a website that has a fairly comprehensive list. If you find one that hasn't made the list (go or nogo) let me, and the site's community know about it please!!!

link: http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=80821

Davvido

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Poland
I think a thread for people without any issues is a bit pointless, but ok, everything is fine here - iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1, jailbroken with redsn0w. No issues. :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It seems like this forum is filled with nothing but issues and problems people are having.
Welcome to discussion forums. That's the nature of all of them, regardless of topic. People post when they have problems/questions. They don't post when things are going well. That's precisely why you can't rely on analysis of forum postings to determine failure rates. You have to account for the skewed nature of forum posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.