PDA

View Full Version : Will Tiger Problems Hurt Apple?

MacBytes
May 6, 2005, 08:30 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Will Tiger Problems Hurt Apple? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050506213012)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

wdlove
May 7, 2005, 03:22 PM
No, it will not hurt Apple. There are bound to be bugs. Windows still has bugs, which hasn't hurt them ever.

ThePreacherMan
May 7, 2005, 08:39 PM
There has been nothing but negative reporting from eWeek. They must be pro microsoft. I wonder if this magazine isn't paid to publish negative article geared to hurting Apple.

I have not experienced anything but positive results. My machine runs faster and is more efficent than before.

Stop the slandering eWeek and do some unbias reporting for a change.

Now that preaches!!!

Kerry Sanders
May 7, 2005, 08:45 PM
I do not think it will help, but it will not hurt them either, especially if the rumors of OS X 10.4.1 coming up soon are true. They are still in much better shape than Microsoft right now win you compare the two operating systems from the two companies. Apple has delivered Tiger and all you hear about Longhorn is what Microsoft has ripped out of it today for the upcoming release.

No... Apple will survive and hopefully continue to gain market share.

Sun Baked
May 7, 2005, 09:14 PM
Apple was bound to run into this problem with applications needing some bug fixes and a recompile at some point.

Apple had to make some major kernal upgrades to get some of the architecture features to work properly. But this also meant some binaries would break.

And they did.

Kerry Sanders
May 7, 2005, 09:53 PM
Apple had to make some major kernal upgrades to get some of the architecture features to work properly. But this also meant some binaries would break.

I am so glad that I do not have to go through an upgrade procedure. Having Tiger pre-installed is going to be nice. I can just jump right into it. Hopefully nothing will be broken. :D

YS2003
May 8, 2005, 08:31 AM
So far, my 12" PB is working flawlessly with Tiger. I used SMB to connect to my other PBs via the Belkin hub. Basically, all of the programs I most often use are working well under Tiger. I have 15" PB running Panther 10.3.9. So, I can compare how each system is performing.

I read quite a few posts on some issues with Tiger. Those problems may have been caused by less-than-perfect installation of Tiger. Erase and Install for my 12"; fresh copy of Panther and then "upgrade" to Tiger for my Ti PB. I have done repair permissions for each updates/program installation. Both of my PBs with Tiger are working well.

Kelmon
May 8, 2005, 09:00 AM
I've had a couple of hiccups with Tiger but I don't believe that the problems will do that much damage to Apple's reputation since the popular press appears to be singing its praises much more than any of the bugs. This said, I do wonder what prompted them to release the OS with the first point upgrade coming so soon. Either we've just participated in a large-scale beta test to drive out bugs that are being quickly fixed or the OS wasn't really ready in the first place. To take one example, the lack of Quartz 2D Extreme being enabled in the shipping OS makes me wonder why it was disabled in the first place - surely problems with this should have been fixed before release? Given that 10.4.1 is expected within the next couple of weeks, I think they rushed the OS out the door without any real need to do so. Longhorn is still at least a year away my all accounts so I fail to see what the objective of releasing Tiger was when they could have waited another 4-weeks to resolve the remaining issues. After all, they still had until June to make good on the Q1/2 05 promised release date...

I'm not complaining too much since most of the features appear to work fine but a few odd crashes and a problematic install of Macromedia MX 2004 (probably Macromedia's fault but you never know) have left me a little curious.

Anyway, probably no harm done but I wouldn't like to see Apple making a habit of this in the future. While they are in a much better position now than they were back in the late 90's/early 00's (if that makes sense), it doesn't make sense to risk damaging their current good reputation.

rockthecasbah
May 8, 2005, 09:10 AM
no. look at windows, look at Tiger. :)