Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Xenomorph-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I love the look of this case on a white phone. Does anybody have experience with one of these aluminium cases? I'm afraid of it possibly degrading the signal. They even mention it in the product description.

They say: "Rokbed has been laboratory and field tested for use with AT&T iPhone 4's only. Rokform cannot guarantee performance if using a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4 / 4s. We have had reports of signal loss with customers using Verizon iPhone 4's and the Rokbed cover."

Does that mean it interferes with the CDMA antenna but not the GSM? I'm skeptical...

rf-rokbed-wb-blue.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyleepic

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Just got mine in

I just got my Rokform case in for my Verizon iPhone 4s. I did a quick test at my to see if I lose signal strength by putting the case on. I've been getting 3-4 bars without a case at my desk on my iPhone since receiving last Friday. This is consistent with my Verizon Blackberry that also gets 3-4 bars at my desk.

I just put the Rokform case on to see if I lose signal and I did. I went from 3-4 bars of reception down to 1-2 bars...mostly 1. Can I still make a call? Yes. But I did lose about 2 bars of reception. Probably not a HUGE deal if you live in an area where you are getting 4-5 bars all the time but it looks like a deal breaker for me. Sucks...the case is so nice. I got the digital camo and it looks sweet.

I'm gonna continue testing the case for the next few days. If it consistently loses signal everywhere I go, I'll probably have to get something else. Since I travel close to 90% of the time for my job all over the U.S. I'm guessing this could be really hit or miss depending on where I am. If I end up in a place where Verizon users only get 1-2 bars, my phone will be a good looking paperweight if I keep this case.

I read an article saying ALL the new iPhone 4s models on all carriers are the same now. They have the same button placement etc. as the Verizon iPhone 4. So I imagine that this will affect not only Verizon subscribers but all iPhone users on any carrier equally.

Here is the article.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/iphone-4-cases-iphone-4s/

jimmyleepic

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Wi-fi loses signal too

I lose Wi-fi signal in my house too. In some areas it completely dropped my wi-fi. That's never happened in my house on any of my devices so I know it's not a signal strength issue. I had to reconnect to wi-fi once i took the case off. Bummer.

D34DP00L

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Best case ever

I ordered one the same time I pre ordered my 4s. Haven't had any issues with signal loss at all. Full bars and fast internet speed.

jimmyleepic

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I ordered one the same time I pre ordered my 4s. Haven't had any issues with signal loss at all. Full bars and fast internet speed.

Is Verizon your carrier? If so, I will remain hopeful. For now, the signal loss in my house is consistent and repeatable both with 3G and my wi-fi signal. I would love to keep this case since it looks so dang good but if it makes my phone a paperweight then it has to go back. Hopefully some more Verizon iPhone 4s users with Rokbeds find this thread and provide feedback.

GQ Ukyo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I actually bought the case and did not read up too much on it about the CDMA versions as all the reviews I've checked out was prior to the Verizon iPhone 4 release. I installed it and it seems to work fine for me. Haven't noticed anything drop in signal. Same 1-2 bars whenever I get 1-2 bars and same 4-5 bars where I get 4-5 bars. I did, however, notice that my phone goes to roam every so often with my phone using my gps to search for cellular signal. I'm not sure if it's from the case or the iphone 4s/ios 5 itself. For the GPS activation, I would just go to the settings and turn it off and back on and GPS remains off. Overall the case is nice but a bit slippery. I might actually return it and go for the Vapor Pro cases though they're almost twice as much... :rolleyes:

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
I have one and love it. I believe you do lose a little signal with it but it hasn't impacted me anywhere I use it on my AT&T network. Customer service is phenomenal. I wasn't happy with the case they sent me as I'm picky. They rushed a different one out to me of a different color of my choice. I was allowed to choose which one I wanted to keep, and return the other free of charge, shipping paid. They said that if I was unhappy with either to return both and I'd get a full refund. You can't beat that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.