Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomastsui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Look. The Powerbook WAS a powerful full-featured lap-top computer.
Which they have called, notebook computer with super-computer fast.
The Powerbook is as powerful as a desktop mac.

Now. Tiger 10.4 is out, QT 7 is out and the FCP 5 is out. As apple had said, the era of HD is coming.

However, what can a top-of-line powerbook can do?
Well. with the G4 1.67 Processor, it is more than enough to handle photoshop, digial photography.

Moreover, it can also handle FCP if you are no using HD video.

Of course, it is more than enough to do what you want it to do in your daily life, like pages, keynote, and internet.

Look, what is the market segmentation for the powerbook line?
The Powerbook should be the fastest notebook apple have which able to provide mobility for your work on a G5 Powermac.

Those things i have memtioned above. Yes, a powerbook can do it, but an iBook can also do. With 1.33G G4, an iBook should be acceptable fast enough to handle digital graphic. And those basic video editing.

SO, what do we expect to get when we paid at least US$500 for a Powerbook?

At least we expect the powerbook can play or even encode HD video with H.264 technology. This is the priority, we don't want to see our Powerbook out-dated after one year and can not handle video editing because everybody are using H.264.

And we expect a higher resoulution display on a Powerbook, at least on the 17inch model. In order to see full-resuolution of HD video.

The solution for powerbook? Well. please give us the G5 powerbook.

If the G5 Powerbook is not available. WEll, we can see there will be a hard-time for powerbook line, coz iBook should be a better option.

Go back to the history,and see, When everyone using Powermac 400-500, we have tiBook 500, but now, People are using 2G-2.7G G5 Powermac. and we can only use 1.67G G4 Powerbook.

Please apple. don't just update the keyboard and the trackpad for powerbook. WE wanna see PERFORMANCE update.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
HMMMM

What an insightful thread. First time anyone has ever brought out this truly brilliant logic on this forum..

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Err. Thomas. This topic has been talked about endlessly. Theres no need to vent it here. Have a look for other threads regarding the powerbook (which is still a great machine BTW). Welcome to the forums. :cool:

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
True indeed

I agree completely. If you take a look at the powerbook history, we have been running on essentially the same processor and form factor since 2001 :eek: . Yes, there have been some significant upgrades (see: 2002 Ti DVI books and Al books). But essentially these have been just upgrades of the parts within machines still using the same form factors and processors (no truly novel updates - see G5 Powermacs and G5 iMacs). What was once a truly over the top and amazing machine is now just a really well-built machine with out of date specs compared with most other laptops out on the market.

--I mean come on, where are G5's (or at least dual core G4's), pci-express x16 video cards (where are they in the powermacs for that matter :( ), WUXGA displays, ect...?????

--Mac users remain faithful because there really is no better solution out there, but at least let us feel we are dropping fat stacks of cash on cool machines instead of feeling like we have to cut our losses when paying out to get a computer

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
lopresmb said:
I agree completely. If you take a look at the powerbook history, we have been running on essentially the same processor and form factor since 2001 :eek: . Yes, there have been some significant upgrades (see: 2002 Ti DVI books and Al books). But essentially these have been just upgrades of the parts within machines still using the same form factors and processors (no truly novel updates - see G5 Powermacs and G5 iMacs). What was once a truly over the top and amazing machine is now just a really well-built machine with out of date specs compared with most other laptops out on the market.

--I mean come on, where are G5's (or at least dual core G4's), pci-express x16 video cards (where are they in the powermacs for that matter :( ), WUXGA displays, ect...?????

--Mac users remain faithful because there really is no better solution out there, but at least let us feel we are dropping fat stacks of cash on cool machines instead of feeling like we have to cut our losses when paying out to get a computer

Every update for the Powerbooks that I can recall has included a speed jump, better than nothing. Yes, it has been the same G4, but the speeds have quadrupled since the first Powerbook G4. And since the first PBG4s, there have been several upgrades to the other guts-the transition from SDRAM to DDR, faster, more capable optical drives, Firewire 800, Airport Extreme, faster bus speeds, better video cards, better battery life, do I need to go on?

As far as form factor goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it. The form factor for both the iBooks and PowerBooks is great, thin and light...very portable. The design works, and Apple would be smart to change as little of it as possible unless its to reduce thickness and weight. If you want a laptop that is as thick as 4 powerbooks and weighs a ton, I'm sure one of the PC manufacturers has something for you.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Rocksaurus said:
LOL, and with such exceptional grammar, too. :rolleyes:

Common, my friend. His last name should've tipped you off that he might not be American. Further, the site in his sig lets you know that he's from Hong Kong. There are plenty of international posters here - cut them some slack. You're from California; unless you live in Fresno, Redding or Ukiah (or some similar town), your awareness of ethnic plurality should be a tad better than what you display here. HTH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.