Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I read The Daily on the train every day, and have always hated that before I leave the house in the morning, I have to remember to update it (I have a wifi only iPad 2). This morning, I opened it by habit from newsstand to get the latest issue, but then I started wondering if it had already updated itself before I did that. It tries to update itself every time you open it, so it may have just been doing a re-update this morning when I opened it.

Anyone know a definitive answer on this?

macatak911

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I read The Daily on the train every day, and have always hated that before I leave the house in the morning, I have to remember to update it (I have a wifi only iPad 2). This morning, I opened it by habit from newsstand to get the latest issue, but then I started wondering if it had already updated itself before I did that. It tries to update itself every time you open it, so it may have just been doing a re-update this morning when I opened it.

Anyone know a definitive answer on this?

Mine isn't updating Either. Anyone know?

austinguy23

Suspended
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same for Notifications in iOS in general. They're supposed to push out immediately, but I always find that if I manually go into an app and have it check for updates, it will bring in updates that should have already been automatically pushed to it.

Stated succinctly, iOS notifications are not reliable as being "immediate".

And yes...I have Notifications configured properly.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
In my iPad, The Daily is the only app that does auto-download through Newsstand, all others fail to do so even though I get a push notification from a couple of them notifying of new issues avaialble to download (e.g. Popular Science)

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Haven't really used newstand but my notifications are coming in a little late. Example I get a facebook notification on my laptop then about 2 minutes later it finally gets to my iPod touch.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Haven't really used newstand but my notifications are coming in a little late. Example I get a facebook notification on my laptop then about 2 minutes later it finally gets to my iPod touch.

At least you get them. I used to, but they suddenly stopped last week and I haven't been getting FB notifications since.

baltoyyz

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Mine uses to auto update but the last couple of days it doesn't. Does the iPad have to plugged in at night to get the auto update? I rarely have it plugged in at night.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I've tried so hard to like this app, the content is solid, and presented gorgeously, but they obviously have a middle school programmer class working on the app, because it's just horrible. How does an app with this much funding fail so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.