Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Ok, so here's the deal... I'm not really familiar with updating an iPhone. I got an iPhone 4 a few months ago, and outside of the initial setup, I've never really synched it with iTunes.

Anyway, I connected the iPhone to a new computer, authorized the computer, did a backup, and also used the "transfer purchases" option (I guess that syncs my apps?)

However, when clicking "Download and Update" for iOS 5.0, I got the following error message:

"Updating to iOS 5.0 will delete all of the apps and media, including iTunes Store purchases, on your iPhone. To preserve your content, apply this update on the computer where you sync apps, music, videos, and photos. Updating on this computer will only preserve contacts, calendars, text messages, and other settings. Please do not interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete. iTunes will verify the software update with Apple"

For some unexplainable reason, I ignored that message and continued with the update :rolleyes: Right as the restore was finished after the update, my iTunes froze too.

After I went through the setup options, I looked over the phone. Everything is still there (photos, contacts, texts, etc), however, all the apps except one were gone.

Now, I can see all the apps under the "Apps" section of the iTunes library. I hit the sync option, but they don't seem to be synching. Also, I installed Words With Friends from the purchased apps section on the iPhones, and all my games reappeared without me logging in, so I assume the app settings are still good, just the apps themselves aren't appearing.

Is there a way I can sync all the apps back onto the iPhone without having to redownload (and reorganize) each one?

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
In iTunes, select the "Store" menu and look for an option to enter you Apple ID into your account. That should cause iTunes to start downloading all your apps.

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
I logged in, but that doesn't seem to have done anything... I do see all the apps that I had installed on my iPhone, but they don't seem to want to go back on the phone :(

BTW: I think I did the backup of the phone BEFORE I hit the "transfer purchases" option on the iTunes, so maybe that's what caused the problem in the first place?

Saphire

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
UK
Do all the apps have ticks next them or are the boxes blank, if they are blank tick them and then sync.

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
I don't see a spot for ticks?

Attachments

• iTunes.JPG
    iTunes.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 248

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Here then? I still don't see it. Sorry I'm a newb :(

Attachments

• iTunes2.jpg
    iTunes2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 362

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Yeap that page, except on top you're looking at the 'Summary' tab. Switch over to 'Apps' tab - 2 tabs to the right.

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Genius! Thank you :D

Does anyone know why I was getting that error I highlighted in bold in the first place from iTunes? Is that because I did a backup before I did "transfer purchases?" I want to make sure I don't lose my folder arrangements next time there's an update.

Nahcok

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Lost app data during IOS5 on my Iphone 4?

Hi. My wife updated her Iphone 4 last night to IOS5. First she updated the Imac, updated the Itunes software, plugged in the Iphone and synced it. She then proceeded with the update.

Today she opened her Iphone but none of her apps were on the phone. I've read that she can simply resync the Iphone and the apps will be back on her phone (after checking off the boxes in the update menu). My question is this: will the data in the apps be there? She has an invoicing app with all of her hours of work for the past month, so if that data is lost she is in bad shape!

Any information on this? Will the app update include all of her data as well???? Please help!

rc251

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
In fact, my app data must have been there once the phone was restored, because like I said, I installed Words with Friends manually and I was logged in already. I assume the app data is stored somewhere separate from the actual apps themselves.

chrisovie

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
thanks pete the geek. i did what you said and it worked. i was stressing all day, cause apple support didnt even tell me what to do. they said "just plug your phone back in and it will automatically put the apps back on". *******s. if anyone is having trouble, just follow pete the geeks instructions.

Hoomiel

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Hey. I am also having truble syncing my apps
I just bought the iPhone 5 and everything syncs but the apps
In the Apps tab on iTunes they Evan appear in the preview o. The right side in the order they should be ( in groups) when I plug my iPhone 4S it's all good. Please help. This is frustrating. I tried restore fromicloud too no help there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.