PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Contests?

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:36 AM
What is an avatar contest, when do we have them, and how do you enter?

Zenith
Oct 7, 2002, 08:52 AM
It's a contest where you try to make the best avatar, still or animated. An avatar is a little picture that you can have by your name on your posts on this forum, after you've reached 500 posts. I think there will be a contest before christmas, and the last one was early in the summer this year. I was one of the three lucky ones who won the contest ;) There's a winner of the best animated 'tar, the best still 'tar and a winner who gets the title "Grand Avatarist". I won the still 'tar contest.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Zenith
It's a contest where you try to make the best avatar, still or animated. An avatar is a little picture that you can have by your name on your posts on this forum, after you've reached 500 posts. I think there will be a contest before christmas, and the last one was early in the summer this year. I was one of the three lucky ones who won the contest ;) There's a winner of the best animated 'tar, the best still 'tar and a winner who gets the title "Grand Avatarist". I won the still 'tar contest.

oh darn it, i can't make an avatar for my life... oh well... i will just get 500 posts... that cant' be that hard right?

jelloshotsrule
Oct 7, 2002, 05:28 PM
not the ridiculous way you're posting...

arn
Oct 7, 2002, 05:31 PM
samdweck has been warned about his frivilous posting.

arn

Billicus
Oct 7, 2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by arn
samdweck has been warned about his frivilous posting.

arn

lol

Oh, and Zenith, you got to have an avatar because you won? You only have 130 posts.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Billicus

lol

I have also started a thread with a one paragraph apology, if you read it you might forgive me I hope. Sorry about all that, I am going to slow down (not the quantity slower, but upgrade the quality with that quantity)

Quantity+Quality = Avatar
Quantity = Spam
Quality alone= one year until avatar

Durandal7
Oct 7, 2002, 06:18 PM
That is a hi-quality avatar Zenith, you were deserving of the prize.

And samdweck, don't sweat post count. It took me over a year before I got mine.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
That is a hi-quality avatar Zenith, you were deserving of the prize.

And samdweck, don't sweat post count. It took me over a year before I got mine.

you see, I have a lot of time on my hands, and i figure, if i can do a better job of posting good things of good quality, and also keep up my quantity, why not do it? btw, ur avatar rocks! I think that a year is a long time to wait, especially for a person who is impatient... but only Arn and I can control when I get the avatar, and I am going to try to earn it as quickly as possible, but be as reasonable as possible... this was a longish post... and i think it was pretty good. You agree?

blackpeter
Oct 7, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by samdweck

you see, I have a lot of time on my hands, and i figure, if i can do a better job of posting good things of good quality, and also keep up my quantity, why not do it? btw, ur avatar rocks! I think that a year is a long time to wait, especially for a person who is impatient... but only Arn and I can control when I get the avatar, and I am going to try to earn it as quickly as possible, but be as reasonable as possible... this was a longish post... and i think it was pretty good. You agree?

UUUUGHH!!! THE INSANITY!!! ENOUGH!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!

What's the big deal about getting an avatar? If you put this much time, energy, and effort into something worthwhile, think of all you could accomplish. Instead, you want to post some goofy little picture so bad that you bore us with your inane rambling.

It took me over a year to be able to put a silly little picture under my name because I only posted when I had SOMETHING TO SAY! And, you know what? ...it's not that big a deal. I can honestly say that the "excitement" of having a 'tar fades seconds after seeing it.

I'll be watching you, and waiting. After this nonsense you've been putting us through, this avatar of yours better blow minds! :mad:

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 09:14 AM
what I'm finding amazing is the number of people samdweck is really pissing off. I don't think there has been anyone as inane a poster, truly amazing actually. Most members who get reactions like this do it for taunting reasons, trolling not spamming.

Backtothemac
Oct 8, 2002, 12:56 PM
It is actually on my last nerve really. Who cares about post counts and avatars. Be who you are and you will be respected. If you have something important to say, say it. If not shut up!

mcrain
Oct 8, 2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by samdweck
this was a longish post... and i think it was pretty good. You agree?

You have got to be kidding me. Check out some of the political discussions if you want to see good, long posts. BTTM (Backtothemac) wrote some very strong arguments on one side, while others, including myself, wrote just as long responses, and so on, and so on.

BTTM had fewer posts than I did a few months ago, and now he's got 3-4-5 times as many as I do. Does that mean anything? Sure, it means he posts more than I do. Does it mean his arguments are stronger than mine, of course not, he's a republican!

LOL!!!

Backtothemac
Oct 8, 2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

You have got to be kidding me. Check out some of the political discussions if you want to see good, long posts. BTTM (Backtothemac) wrote some very strong arguments on one side, while others, including myself, wrote just as long responses, and so on, and so on.

BTTM had fewer posts than I did a few months ago, and now he's got 3-4-5 times as many as I do. Does that mean anything? Sure, it means he posts more than I do. Does it mean his arguments are stronger than mine, of course not, he's a republican!

LOL!!!

Beware mcrain. I have my full automatic multiple launching Pie thrower ready ;)

Sun Baked
Oct 8, 2002, 02:22 PM
Looks like samdweck won't be a worry for awhile (thanks :) ), but it's just amazing that people who rarely post decided to chime in an try to tell him to stop.

I'm glad I missed most of his 200+ posts.

Could you imagine the spam he could have created a couple weeks ago with the ability to create polls? :rolleyes:

[Edit - Wow 236 posts in a 3 day iron-man spam marathon, and the last few spammers had been stopped before they hit their 20th post.]

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked

Could you imagine the spam he could have created a couple weeks ago with the ability to create polls? :rolleyes:

thankfully his level of skill at the forum was so low, he never figured it out - he was still working on getting his new threads in the right forums. And honestly, I never even saw him until this week, weird, but he's been registered since last month - almost a month ago.

vniow
Oct 8, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

thankfully his level of skill at the forum was so low, he never figured it out - he was still working on getting his new threads in the right forums. And honestly, I never even saw him until this week, weird, but he's been registered since last month - almost a month ago.

Well, he's gone now, arn recently deactivated his account.

BTW, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for closing that 'apoligies thread. That was getting way too tasteless.
Not that I had any part in that.;)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by edvniow

BTW, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for closing that 'apoligies thread. That was getting way too tasteless.
Not that I had any part in that.;)[/COLOR]

well, once members start posting to close a thread its gotten out of hand, especially since nothing more is going to be added that has any value. This thread should die soon of its own lack of momentum soon, so it shouldn't need any help.

mcrain
Oct 8, 2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Beware mcrain. I have my full automatic multiple launching Pie thrower ready ;)

You know I was kidding right? WRONG~~~~

MUha ha ha ha ha!!!!

The Liberals on the left are actually always right!!!!

Roar!!!!

[Hides behind something sturdy~~~ waits for pies to come flying by]

:)
The multiple-Pie-throwing machine - a weapon of mass distruction, we better go to war!

mischief
Oct 8, 2002, 03:23 PM

[Hides behind something sturdy~~~ waits for pies to come flying by]

The multiple-Pie-throwing machine - a weapon of mass distruction, we better go to war!

I will be staying out of this one...... Though I would like to clarify that NONE of our products qualifies as Nuclear, Biological OR Chemical Weapons under the UN's definitions. Winky is pushing it but they have yet to list monkey poop as bio-warfare.

King Cobra
Oct 8, 2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked

[Edit - Wow 236 posts in a 3 day iron-man spam marathon, and the last few spammers had been stopped before they hit their 20th post.]

I did a post profile background check on Sam, and he was actually banned after his first post, which was pure spam. So this is his second strike.

I'd say if he gets his Bass banned again, he should be banned permanently like Spikey.

vniow
Oct 8, 2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

I did a post profile background check on Sam, and he was actually banned after his first post, which was pure spam. So this is his second strike.

I'd say if he gets his Bass banned again, he should be banned permanently like Spikey.

Wait I remember this guy now!
He posted like 7 times in a row in one thread and purposly double posted in another.
I remember cuz I reported his ass.
I had no idea it ws him until now.:eek::o

Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10820&pagenumber=3) where one of his posts was before his account was deleted. It was right above mine.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 03:47 PM
Now that's really wild - I wonder what you could do to get banned with one post - and it was edited out by arn - wow!

But then he was back a few days ago and went on a posting binge - amazing that all but one of his posts were the effort of a few days.

King Cobra
Oct 8, 2002, 03:49 PM
He also started a bullsh** rave on the .Mac price with "Nickels and Dimes". I rebutted his post, point by point.

I guess that's what you have to do when people like that Fred around on the forums. Fred them back, point by point. And make sure you get your facts right. Also, play a little street smarts here and there and keep calm, and you should be fine.

(Actually, my style is basically the style of joey j. jef, you remember him, right? :p)

Sun Baked
Oct 8, 2002, 03:51 PM

I missed that, I was simply too stunned at how often he was posting to even bother reading any of his posts.

Simply amazing. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=142524

vniow
Oct 8, 2002, 03:51 PM
Now that's really wild - I wonder what you could do to get banned with one post - and it was edited out by arn - wow!

Actually, he posted about 30 times, arn just deleted all but the first one to scare off potential spammers. http://www.rx7club.com/forum/images/smilies/FIREdevil.gif

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 03:53 PM
And make sure you get your facts right. Also, play a little street smarts here and there and keep calm, and you should be fine.

Ok, ah, hello, McFly!!!! Let's keep it less self involved here, ok? Or do you want me to keep reminding you and everyone elso of Vacuums Of Infinite Density?

And I'm sure I could dig up one or two more - we've all had our moments, you know?:rolleyes:

mcrain
Oct 8, 2002, 04:04 PM
Duke

What's wrong with your tar? It's flickering and has static

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 04:13 PM
Duke

What's wrong with your tar? It's flickering and has static

ha, must be you, looks fine to me. Weird though - it only happening to mine or are other memeber's tars going whacky?

jelloshotsrule
Oct 8, 2002, 04:20 PM
i saw the static before... i thought it was a new fade in thing....

but it's not there now....

P-Worm
Oct 8, 2002, 04:26 PM
So how's this for spam?

Blah blah poop poop stab stab yummy tummy ding-dong!

P-Worm

Sun Baked
Oct 8, 2002, 04:33 PM
If you want true Spam, look no further than the SpamŽ Gift Catalog (http://www.spamgift.com/store/commerce.cgi)

mischief
Oct 8, 2002, 04:37 PM
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~jdavies/bode/cheech/ch_looking.html

Zenith
Oct 8, 2002, 05:51 PM
I'm surprised to see how most of the threads here at the MR Forums always get so off-topic - really fast! ;) Wasn't this a thread about avatars?

mischief
Oct 8, 2002, 06:00 PM
This thread was started as a blatant attempt on smegdweck's part to start a discussion to up his post count. So we get it so far off topic it gets closed. QED.

King Cobra
Oct 8, 2002, 06:18 PM
Ok, ah, hello, McFly!!!! Let's keep it less self involved here, ok? Or do you want me to keep reminding you and everyone elso of Vacuums Of Infinite Density?

And I'm sure I could dig up one or two more - we've all had our moments, you know?:rolleyes:

LOL :D

And it's called Senior Moments, considering I'm a year from college. :p

Yes, this was a thread about avatars.
Back on topic: I still think G5 avatars need to wait a few more weeks. I don't remember seeing any static in duke's 'tar. Ehh...

But I did notice that timallen changed his avatar. I caught a practice version of his avatar, and it wasn't exactly pretty. The Sync'tar looks real cool.

I'm wondering that, if there is another avatar contest, how many people are going to do something Apple related and work from there?
*hint to Duke: Make separate category for best Apple avatars*

Durandal7
Oct 8, 2002, 06:34 PM

I'm wondering that, if there is another avatar contest, how many people are going to do something Apple related and work from there?
*hint to Duke: Make separate category for best Apple avatars*
He said that he would in the Avatars thread.

King Cobra
Oct 8, 2002, 06:41 PM
Roger, D. Another senior moment. :D

Calling MR. FYTER! What gave you the idea for that avatar? I'd like to hear. :eek:

Mr. Anderson
Oct 8, 2002, 06:41 PM
Yep, I'm closing this thread and someone can resurrect the real avatar thread to deal with what's going to be happening in the next contest in Dec.

blah!