Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
OK.

I'm now aware that icloud isn't coming my way as i'm running snow leopard. I've looked around the apple web site but i'm still struggling with a few things.

1. Is icloud replacing mobile me, and if so is everyone getting new e mail addresses?

2. I've got a mobile me account at present. If I upgrade to iOS5 can I still just keep using my mobile me as normal ?

3. Is there any feature of icloud I can use on my iphone only (as i'm not getting lion at present on my macbook)

4. What is the difference between icloud / wireless syncing or are they intrinsically linked?

5. In relation to wireless syncing I know it says it will sync your device when you plug it into a power source. How do you choose what it syncs and what it doesn't? I need to know this as like everyone else I have more content on itunes than i have space on my phone. Can I just take movies off and on my phone as i please wirelessly?

6. Is icloud the only new thing i will be without as a result of not having lion?

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I am wondering about all of those issues too. Staying with SL for now, but I want to upgrade to iOS 5. I understand that some iCloud functions will work with SL, but have not seen any documentation or any posts discussing this.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
OK.

I'm now aware that icloud isn't coming my way as i'm running snow leopard. I've looked around the apple web site but i'm still struggling with a few things.

1. Is icloud replacing mobile me, and if so is everyone getting new e mail addresses?

2. I've got a mobile me account at present. If I upgrade to iOS5 can I still just keep using my mobile me as normal ?

3. Is there any feature of icloud I can use on my iphone only (as i'm not getting lion at present on my macbook)

4. What is the difference between icloud / wireless syncing or are they intrinsically linked?

5. In relation to wireless syncing I know it says it will sync your device when you plug it into a power source. How do you choose what it syncs and what it doesn't? I need to know this as like everyone else I have more content on itunes than i have space on my phone. Can I just take movies off and on my phone as i please wirelessly?

6. Is icloud the only new thing i will be without as a result of not having lion?

exactly, and thats why Im getting back to SL - Lion is not still ready to be my stable development enviroment, its not that snappy and stable as SL is, Im happy with SL and to be honest Im not missing anything with it - and what more - I love Expose on SL - and really hate Mission Control at all!

What to say... this year the only thing Im happy about is that they upgraded iP4 properly... and the iOS5 is really snappy, that really is..

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Seems some people share my questions, and I must be being thick as I've not found answers despite looking here and elsewhere for a couple of hours now :(. It's too late in Scotland to stay up so hopefully by the time of my commute tomorrow, some kind person will have the answers.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
OK.

1)Yes, iCloud is replacing Mobile Me, but iCloud will sync different stuff than Mobile Me. iCloud syncs music, pictures, calendar, contacts & mail(among others), but does not sync keychains, mail rules, widgets etc.

2)If you have a me.com address, you do not need to create another one. You can still use it as "normal"

3)You can stay a member of Mobile Me until June 2012. You will also get upgrades when you move to iOS 5.

4)To the best of my knowledge, they're the same thing

5)Again to the best of my knowledge, you can sync and remove programs just like you do today. You can even go get an app or music that you paid for in the past that somehow got deleted.

6)Not sure because I have not made the upgrade to Lion myself

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK

Yes, iCloud is replacing MobileMe, which will be discontinued June 30, 2012; However some services will still running, such as Apple ID and purchases even after the expiration.
You can have a new email address @me.com bounded to your Apple ID but I believe you can migrate your current @me.com mail account.
iCloud gives you also three aliases to be bounded to your @me.com mail account.

You can use all the services until the expire date, you can migrate it to iCloud and you can still use the account for other services - check the links in the previous reply. You can also have a refund in some circumstances.

You can use all the features of iCloud with your iPhone. These are sync with iCloud, so you can check iCloud.com to see your mail, contacts, calendar, find my iPhone, iWork file plus your iPhone backup; however, all of these are not pushed back to your Mac if is not running Lion 10.7.2, but they can be still checked on iCloud.com regardless.

Wireless syncing sends all the file and data to your computer over wifi, as normal sync on wire.
iCloud register your app and music purchases of your account and backup your mail, contacts, calendar in iCloud servers. Then, are pushed back on your device.
Wireless sync = backup on your computer.
iCloud = backup in the cloud.

"Backup: automatically back up your camera roll, accounts, documents and settings when the iPhone is plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi."
You can check the iCloud setting and select what to download and what not to.
However, you cannot choose whether you can download an app and not another. After you restore your iPhone and set everything up you keep what you have. Then you can choose whether you have automatic downloads for App, Music and Books on or off and get those downloaded to any of your other device automatically or not. You can set this to work only on wifi.
Movie cannot be redownloaded yet.

There are other 200+ features that can be both relevant or irrelevant to you, check them on apple.com. Overall Snow Leopard is one of the most solid desktop OS, and you might be please or not with Lion depending of your own taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.