PDA

View Full Version : How To Put Newsstand In A Folder

MacRumors
Oct 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/how-to-put-newsstand-in-a-folder/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/newsstand1.jpg

The Coding Massacre has discovered a trick (http://thecodingmassacre.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/newsstand-folder-no-jailbreak-ios-5/) to force the iOS 5 Newsstand into a folder. The only reason to do this is to tuck Newsstand away and hide it -- users who have performed this trick discovered that opening Newsstand when its in a folder crashes Springboard, the main home screen on the iPhone.
Simply follow these steps:

- Take two apps and go to create a folder
- The second the apps are in the folder and it's doing the folder creation animation, drag Newsstand into the folder
- As long as you're quick enough Newsstand will go into the folder!If you wish to use Newsstand at some point, simply remove it from the folder and place it back on the main level.

Article Link: How To Put Newsstand In A Folder (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/how-to-put-newsstand-in-a-folder/)

firestarter
Oct 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
Message to Apple: Please allow us to turn off features like this that we don't want/need!

Lukkee24
Oct 13, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm going to try this is a minute because it'll be so much better in a folder :p.

iHacker101
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thank you!!

fogelmania
is there any way to emancipate my nytimes app from within newsstand?

ConnorTurnbull
Oct 13, 2011, 03:15 PM
It's not just Newsstand, it's any folder.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/8548/img0006q.png

Costin.Gheonea
Oct 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Or you could just hide it http://www.iphone365.eu/2011/10/12/nonewsisgoodnews-permite-mutarea-aplicatiei-newsstand-din-ios-5/

zin
Oct 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A folder within a folder.

AnataTenshi
Oct 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
Wow, i cant believe my trick actually got posted on MacRumors. This is awesome :3 And yes, on the source link i did mention folder within a folder is possible using this method, but its not very practical, since it crashes everytime you try to open the folder. But if your trying to hide a folder from like your friends or something, its a perfect solution. Funny thing is, i tried this trick on an iOS4 device.. It worked. Its been an iOS glitch for over a year and i hadn't realized it till now xD

eyefoniac
Oct 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, victory!

Lukkee24
It won't let me drag anything else until the folder is created :(? (iPad 2).

kockgunner
If you try opening Newsstand while it's in another folder, Springboard crashes. You can use it as a was to quickly respring Springboard! :p

JayPeezy
Oct 13, 2011, 03:19 PM
Message to Apple: Please allow us to turn off features like this that we don't want/need!
Agreed. Like contacts... it seems redundant to have a contacts app if I can access my contacts from the phone app.

Lukkee24
Oct 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh I was doing it wrong, I managed to do it now :D.

Lord Appleseed
Oct 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
Or you could just hide it http://www.iphone365.eu/2011/10/12/nonewsisgoodnews-permite-mutarea-aplicatiei-newsstand-din-ios-5/

What language is that?

AnataTenshi
Oct 13, 2011, 03:21 PM
If you try opening Newsstand while it's in another folder, Springboard crashes. You can use it as a was to quickly respring Springboard! :p

Yeah, if you quickly wanna respring without JB'ing, like if your device starts to go slow, this would work wonders.

Patriot24
Oct 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
Folder in a folder doesn't work. When you click on it and the device restarts, the change is negated.

strausd
Oct 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
I just put it in there and my phone crashed... haha nice

wwilson624
Oct 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thank you!:)

Friscochris
Oct 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the tip (and Im talking to the poster that figured it out).

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
What language is that?

Romanian.

AnataTenshi
Oct 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
I just put it in there and my phone crashed... haha nice

This glitch is for hiding NewsStand for those people who dont like it, it will just respring if its in a folder. If you take it out however, its full functional.

Rat-Boy
Oct 13, 2011, 03:26 PM
Works like a champ, so long as you don't try to then use Newstand from within a folder.

yetanotherdave
Oct 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Agreed. Like contacts... it seems redundant to have a contacts app if I can access my contacts from the phone app.

You need it to be able to access contacts while on a phone call. Or at least you did originally, I don't know if they've updated that.

Icaras
Oct 13, 2011, 03:30 PM

Inception? :D

AnataTenshi
Oct 13, 2011, 03:30 PM

Thank you!!
No problem! :)
Thank you!:)
Dont mention it ;)
Thanks for the tip (and Im talking to the poster that figured it out).

Your welcome. Im still shocked its on this site actually :P

Acronym
Oct 13, 2011, 03:31 PM

If you are among those who have already switched to the new iOS 5, have noticed that there is an application that can be moved anywhere, ie can not be added to a folder, along with others that do not use, for example.

It's Newsstand application which, for some reason, Apple does not allow us to move in any folder, as is possible with any other application of IOS. For some of us, this can be annoying, especially if we use, so that we can disrupt the most simple and useful as a folder to move it away from our eyes.

Well, there is now a tweak, specially designed for this inconvenience, which is called NoNewsIsGoodNews, which is exactly what it is we do not allow the iOS 5, ie moving Newsstand application in a folder, along with the rest of the IOS software.

NoNewsIsGoodNews is available for free in Cydia BigBoss repo site and is intended exclusively for iOS 5.

UPDATE! It seems that tweak the application it deletes all of Springboard. To retrieve it, simply uninstall it.

Fixed it for you.

Skika
Oct 13, 2011, 03:32 PM

Maybe if you could put a folder inside a folder that is in a folder.

Deeper :cool:

pellets007
Oct 13, 2011, 03:33 PM

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff204/not-ewrx/goodgood-but-we-must-go-deeper.jpg

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe if you could put a folder inside a folder that is in a folder.

Deeper :cool:

You can do that. I tried it. :)

Get the folder into the folder, take out the two icons you used to make the folder, then create a new folder and put the double folder in. :p

nxfxcom
Oct 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
Wow, WHY ? LOL

whyamihere
Oct 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
so after trying this several times without success, my iphone completely froze, had to do a hard restart. i think apple is already onto this trick and punishing us for wanting to hide their unwanted apps! :eek:

EDIT: Ok so after the restart i got it. phew.

Mr. Pezman
Oct 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
I can confirm that this works with a 3GS running IOS 5. Works great. Thanks!

zorinlynx
Oct 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
This trick has inadvertently added a new feature to the phone: Locking on demand.

If you try to open newsstand inside the folder, Springboard crashes, and will ask you for your passcode immediately when it restarts.

So if you plan to put your phone down around people you don't really trust, and have it set to lock after fifteen minutes, you can do this in a snap and the phone will be locked.

This has got to be the most useful bug ever. :) I'll miss it when it's fixed someday...

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 03:40 PM
Now that it's getting more attention, it'll probably be fixed. :(

Prodo123
Oct 13, 2011, 03:43 PM

Folderception.
http://troll.me/images/xzibit-yo-dawg/yo-dawg-i-heard-you-like-folders-so-we-put-a-folder-in-a-folder-so-you-can-open-it-while-you-open-it.jpg

mac2343
Oct 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
if you click on it then it will delete.

ndpitch
Oct 13, 2011, 03:47 PM
What the...?

I must be doing it wrong. I've been trying for a while to no avail...

jsep
Oct 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
Fun tip! Trying to open Newsstand from within a folder will crash the phone.

Skater1405
Oct 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Kinda cool my iPod picture made it onto Macrumors. :p

Acronym
Oct 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
just playing with the folders and this glitch, it is possible to put it into an endless amount of folders as you can take out the initial two apps needed to create the new folder and the new folder created will still remain.

as it currently stands my "newstand, compass, and stocks" folder is currently five or six folder levels down.

Example: "folder one contains newstand compass and stocks.
Folder 2 contains folder one...folder three contains folder two...folder six contains folder five

yanki01
Oct 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
works, awesome!

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
Woot! worked

and people brining up that it's a folder, it's not, cuz it's currently empty so by iOS standards, a folder appless can not stand.

kup1986
Oct 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
Acronym beat me too it. You basically can hide all the unwanted apps with an Infinifolder style -- without jail breaking. The downside is that you can't access those folders within the main folder, BUT you can drag them back out to your main springboard.

Amazing Iceman
Oct 13, 2011, 04:00 PM

LOL! yeah, go down 6 levels.

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
If you can't seem to get it, make sure you hold onto Newsstand app as soon as you click to open the folder.

Acronym
Oct 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Acronym beat me too it. You basically can hide all the unwanted apps with an Infinifolder style -- without jail breaking. The downside is that you can't access those folders within the main folder, BUT you can drag them back out to your main springboard.

fortunately for me anyways apps like stocks or weather should I ever need to access them the notifaction center has a widget :)

I never out weather in it but I might one less app cluttering my main folder and room for one more useful app.

also the apps I have in there are gauranteed ones I will likely never use.

Menel
Oct 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
O M G
<3 MacRumors! and whoever :D

HarryKeogh
Oct 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
or you could just drag it to the last page of your apps where you'll see it once every few days for about 1/2 a second. Or use the app because mags on the iPad are pretty damn cool.

"But I can't sleep knowing it's there!"

Alright, fine. Whatever.:rolleyes:

bartonlynch
Oct 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
Here's my idea: treat the Apple apps like every other app and make them deletable and put them in the App store so you can redownload them if you want. very easy and elegant to me

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
It's funny, If you put a folder into a folder, the folder is invisible in iTunes. :p

Acronym
Oct 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
Here's my idea: treat the Apple apps like every other app and make them deletable and put them in the App store so you can redownload them if you want. very easy and elegant to me

I believe this is the best option, or make it so you can toggle it on and off in the settings app.

Amazing Iceman
Oct 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm afraid this workaround may backfire in future updates of iOS, as it's based on a bug. :confused:

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
Syncing with iTunes took the icons out of my folder :(

modit
Oct 13, 2011, 04:10 PM

Brillant work Cobb :D

Mr. Chewbacca
Oct 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'll miss the folder in folder functionality of a jailbroken phone :(

bartonlynch
Oct 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
You need it to be able to access contacts while on a phone call. Or at least you did originally, I don't know if they've updated that.
No, when you're on a call it's a button option.

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
I take that back, syncing it doesn't remove it. But if you rearrange your apps in iTunes, Applying it removes the folder from the folder.

The DRis
Oct 13, 2011, 04:14 PM
Wow, i cant believe my trick actually got posted on MacRumors. This is awesome :3 And yes, on the source link i did mention folder within a folder is possible using this method, but its not very practical, since it crashes everytime you try to open the folder. But if your trying to hide a folder from like your friends or something, its a perfect solution. Funny thing is, i tried this trick on an iOS4 device.. It worked. Its been an iOS glitch for over a year and i hadn't realized it till now xD

Anata,

Awesome find for those who are truly bugged by this "problem". I'm not being a smart aleck, I've just ignored this "folder" since beta 1.

My question to you is, how did you find it? What made you think to try this, or what were you doing when it happened?

AnataTenshi
Oct 13, 2011, 04:22 PM
It'll probably be fixed, but this has been a glitch since iOS4 apparently. Just tried doing it on my old device. Of course iOS4 doesn't have newsstand, but it does have folders. And yup, you can put folders in folders in it, using my workaround.

Anata,

Awesome find for those who are truly bugged by this "problem". I'm not being a smart aleck, I've just ignored this "folder" since beta 1.

My question to you is, how did you find it? What made you think to try this, or what were you doing when it happened?

Ive had newstand there since beta one, and until this update it literally did NOTHING, so i didnt even try messing with it. However, now that its an actual feature and i finally got to try it, i realized how pointless it was. I wanted to put it in a folder but couldnt. I kept trying and accidentally made a folder with another app, but somehow i got newstand in the folder while doing this. I thought it was an unrepeatable glitch, but i tried ways the glitch could have occurred. Eventually i figured it out, and told my friend, who posted it on his blog, The Coding Massacre. Then macrumors, and gizmodo picked it up, which is extremely awesome.

batting1000
Oct 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
TechCrunch too.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/13/how-to-hide-newsstand-icon-in-a-folder/

----------

Is it possible to get two folders in one?

NightFox
Oct 13, 2011, 04:52 PM

But if you use contacts to get other details (such as address), via phone app makes it two taps instead of one.

Frenchjay
Oct 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
Lol it worked!

Buh bye Newsstand :D

justinfreid
Oct 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
I could see this being the basis for a great iOS game - FolderDash.

cmichaelb
Oct 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
No problem! :)

Dont mention it ;)

Your welcome. Im still shocked its on this site actually :P

Don't be. It's been my chief complaint with iOS 5. Glad to know I'm in good company.

Now if they would let a lot of their apps be optional like iBooks, it would be fantastic.

Dagless
Oct 13, 2011, 05:09 PM
Nobody puts Newsstand in the corner.

World Citizen
Oct 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
I decided I had enough Apple Apps to create a completely dedicated home screen for them...

It always bugged me that I couldn't fit all Apple apps on a page.. I am frantic about keeping the original home screen :) ...

I like this "workaround".. 1 slide to official apps.

vvebsta
Oct 13, 2011, 05:30 PM

This trick seems to work with putting any folder into a folder as well. But just like news stand you cant open that folder while it's inside another one.

Nm: people figured it out

wingsabr
Oct 13, 2011, 05:54 PM
weird...I can open it and it doesn't crash the springboard

AppleFanatic10
Oct 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
It works but now the newsstand folder crashes.. oh well, don't use it anyway haha. :rolleyes:

iSee
Oct 13, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for this trick! I was annoyed that I couldn't hide or get rid of Newsstand on my iPad (the best I came up with was an entire extra screen to the right that I would never visit on purpose).

Great point! That makes newsstand in a folder more useful than newsstand outside a folder!

ekdor
Oct 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
-

ekdor
Oct 13, 2011, 06:29 PM
-

RazorSharp69
Oct 13, 2011, 06:33 PM

What the hell the app dissapeared.

ramuman
Oct 13, 2011, 06:41 PM

I also wouldn't mind the stocks, calculator, weather, and clock apps for the iPad. It makes no sense why Apple didn't include them.

macbook pro i5
Oct 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
just playing with the folders and this glitch, it is possible to put it into an endless amount of folders as you can take out the initial two apps needed to create the new folder and the new folder created will still remain.

as it currently stands my "newstand, compass, and stocks" folder is currently five or six folder levels down.

Example: "folder one contains newstand compass and stocks.
Folder 2 contains folder one...folder three contains folder two...folder six contains folder five

no my head is hearing stop with the inception;)

----------

good one i rofled hard :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RonHC
Oct 13, 2011, 07:03 PM
Video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsVFomvwCg

1. Get 2 apps to make a new folder with
2. Drag and drop an app on top of an app (to make a folder)
3. As soon as you step 2, drag and drop Newsstand into the folder.
4. If done correctly, you will see it in the Folder.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/RonHC/IMG_0002-1.pnghttp://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/RonHC/IMG_0001.png

The Newsstand app will be a blank icon in the Folder preview, if you add more apps, it will just leave that area blank.
FYI, if you use this trick make sure you don't try to open the newsstand folder from within the parent folder. It will crash your iPhone.*

Agent-P
Oct 13, 2011, 07:03 PM
After so many tries I finally go the timing right. Thank you so much!

Haha, this made me laugh so hard. It totally seems like a game, and I would definitely download it if it became a real game.

milani
Oct 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
FYI, if you use this trick make sure you don't try to open the newsstand folder from within the parent folder. It will crash your iPhone.*

* Yes, I was curious to see what would happen.

RonHC
Oct 13, 2011, 07:11 PM

* Yes, I was curious to see what would happen.

Thanks, I forgot to add that :rolleyes:

bmms8
Oct 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
this is posted on the front page fyi.

RonHC
Oct 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
this is posted on the front page fyi.

It is?, I can't see it
link?

bmms8
Oct 13, 2011, 07:22 PM
its on the right side.. but not sure if everyone sees it, so this thread will definitely get more people to do it. it works great!

rquick
Oct 13, 2011, 07:22 PM
So why not just get a few magazines and use it? It is just a special folder after all. And magazines are one of the great uses for the iPad. Just sayin.....

kas23
Oct 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did it! And best yet, you can't even see it in there when the folder is closed! I hope Apple doesn't "fix" this.

kas23
Oct 13, 2011, 07:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So why not just get a few magazines and use it? It is just a special folder after all. And magazines are one of the great uses for the iPad. Just sayin.....

I think you just answered your own question ("for your iPad"). Why would I want to use this crap on my iPhone?

troop231
Oct 13, 2011, 07:28 PM
Please discuss here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1250242

RonHC
Oct 13, 2011, 07:28 PM
its on the right side.. but not sure if everyone sees it, so this thread will definitely get more people to do it. it works great!

Oh now I see it, I never really pay attention to that side :p

gnozh
Oct 13, 2011, 07:31 PM
Folder in a folder. Looks interesting.:)

Acronym
Oct 13, 2011, 07:32 PM

What the hell the app dissapeared.

consider yourself lucky?

Agent-P
Oct 13, 2011, 07:36 PM
I've also found out that I can still access my NYTimes app (which had the unfortunate fate of being forced into Newsstand) by searching for it. However searching for Newsstand doesn't return any results. Out of sight, out of mind.

nospeed411
Oct 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
works like a charm:D

RonHC
Oct 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
As stated before by others, i tried folder with a folder, etc
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/RonHC/IMG_0004.png

DYER
Oct 13, 2011, 08:08 PM
MacRumors have been a portal to some great information in the past.
But this is the absolute best thing I have ever found on here.

I will probably use Newsstand on my iPad in a few weeks when enough apps have been updated to support it, but creating folders within folders within folders is the most fun I have had in a long time with the Home Screen ^^:D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the record though, I created a folder within a folder within a folder and tried to open it, made it crash and the app that was at the bottom of that mess disappeared. No great loss but just a warning.

troop231
Oct 13, 2011, 08:45 PM
Were folders within folders possible in iOS 4? (I don't remember hearing about it.)

This seems like a new bug that somehow found its way into iOS 5.

macdude3
Oct 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
Apparently they were, just nobody said said anything about it. Nice job apple. Makes you wonder what other secrets are still out there in the iPhone --> eastereggs right?

thelonelylimo
Oct 13, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have 19 apps. total. 1 single page of apps. with the bottom row being folders. I've never had more than one page. When I updated to iOS5 and realized I couldn't put Newsstand in a folder. I was devastated. I left it sit there, knowing I could do nothing more with it unless I wanted to hide it on a second page; which I refused. I was hoping for maybe more interesting magazines and newspapers so it didn't look bland, or an update to put it in a folder. I'm happy now. THANK YOU. :)

skellener
Oct 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
Conspicuously absent from the iPad and Newstand....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nbv1p--g5ME/TRqFVgitjHI/AAAAAAAAAPc/7nh6q_gXyRI/s1600/Macworld+Magazine+-+February+2011.jpg

....full blown iPad version of Macworld Magazine (http://www.macworld.com/). :eek:

branjmb
Oct 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
pretty sure the 3gs is too slow to give me time to do that!

Kaptajn Haddock
Oct 14, 2011, 01:34 AM
Awsome, thank you so much. I really get annoyed when Apple force you to look at apps you don't use. Next stop delete Apple apps you don't use :-)

Acronym
Oct 14, 2011, 02:38 AM
pretty sure the 3gs is too slow to give me time to do that!

not true I did this with great ease on my 3GS

CodeJingle
Oct 14, 2011, 02:59 AM
Folder-in-folder is not supported so please someone log a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com and I guess log a separate bug for the newsstand-in-folder crashing issue. Whoever found the bugs first.

If you do a cloud backup directly from the iOS device it saves the organization of apps, including folders. I dare someone to do a cloud backup of their iOS device with a folder in a folder and then do a cloud restore after wiping it. If anyone tries it let me know.

mw360
Oct 14, 2011, 03:33 AM
Folder-in-folder is not supported so please someone log a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com and I guess log a separate bug for the newsstand-in-folder crashing issue. Whoever found the bugs first.

If you do a cloud backup directly from the iOS device it saves the organization of apps, including folders. I dare someone to do a cloud backup of their iOS device with a folder in a folder and then do a cloud restore after wiping it. If anyone tries it let me know.

CodeJingle's right, downvoters. Putting your iPhone in a state that's permanently a single function call away from a crash is asking for trouble. The crash means Apple coders didn't anticipate phones getting into this state. So next time your phone does automatic housekeeping with the over the air updates how do you know it won't crash mid install?

M-O
Oct 14, 2011, 06:29 AM

They should put all of their apps on the AppStore and let us choose which we want on our device. We are approaching bloat-ware territory...

Yes, I understand why Apps are pre-installed, but at least let us delete the ones we don't use!

I already sent feedback about deleting game center. Maybe if enough people do it they will consider it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe we should start a petition...

Macman45
Oct 14, 2011, 06:46 AM
They should put all of their apps on the AppStore and let us choose which we want on our device. We are approaching bloat-ware territory...

Yes, I understand why Apps are pre-installed, but at least let us delete the ones we don't use!

I already sent feedback about deleting game center. Maybe if enough people do it they will consider it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe we should start a petition...

Is not something I'd ever use, and the fact that it lives on the desktop is a minor annoyance , some of the titles are UK based, but most seem to be the daily's from back home (like the New York Times) so I might be tempted to have a look from time to time. I'm certainly not going to risk messing my iPad up by trying to force it into moving the icon. It's not that big a deal.

Sedrick
Oct 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
Let's hope Apple fixes the crash part and leaves the folder within a folder alone.

ade2bee
Oct 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
Is there any way of putting this in the trash!

... In fact is there anyway of putting iOS5 in the trash?

I'm hoping that I'm the only one in the world to have had their iPad 1 trashed by this garbage piece of software.

One 64GB iPad that is no more use than as a place mat! Contacted Apple and they've suggested fully restoring it. Oh well, this will be the second after the initial upgrade... Funny how it's happened a week and a half out of my warranty.

I didn't know Apple care was need for protection against Apple itself

All the best to those who had a successful upgrade :-(

8ate8
Oct 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
If you put a folder in a folder you can still use the search feature to launch an app in the 'folderception' folder without crashing. I just tried and confirmed that it works.

Menel
Oct 14, 2011, 11:08 AM
CodeJingle's right, downvoters. Putting your iPhone in a state that's permanently a single function call away from a crash is asking for trouble. The crash means Apple coders didn't anticipate phones getting into this state. So next time your phone does automatic housekeeping with the over the air updates how do you know it won't crash mid install?Very valid point.

Taking my out of nested folder.s

JoeMacDe
Oct 14, 2011, 10:36 PM
Romanian.

Anyone know of a tranlation for that?:rolleyes:

Acronym
Oct 15, 2011, 04:21 AM
Anyone know of a tranlation for that?:rolleyes:

Yes but only because of google translator.

If you are among those who have already switched to the new iOS 5, have noticed that there is an application that can be moved anywhere, ie can not be added to a folder, along with others that do not use, for example.

It's Newsstand application which, for some reason, Apple does not allow us to move in any folder, as is possible with any other application of IOS. For some of us, this can be annoying, especially if we use, so that we can disrupt the most simple and useful as a folder to move it away from our eyes.

Well, there is now a tweak, specially designed for this inconvenience, which is called NoNewsIsGoodNews, which is exactly what it is we do not allow the iOS 5, ie moving Newsstand application in a folder, along with the rest of the IOS software.

NoNewsIsGoodNews is available for free in Cydia BigBoss repo site and is intended exclusively for iOS 5.

UPDATE! It seems that tweak the application it deletes all of Springboard. To retrieve it, simply uninstall it.

metoo6000
Oct 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Syncing with iTunes took the icons out of my folder :(

Guy, I can confirm that this. If you sync with iTunes then the newsstand escape from a folder. Not good.

thewitt
Oct 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
You guys are really quite daring...... I would never put my iPad or iPhone into a state where i had knowingly corrupted th file system...

mikejd1
Oct 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Guy, I can confirm that this. If you sync with iTunes then the newsstand escape from a folder. Not good.

Also iTunes crashes when you click "apps" on your idevice if newsstand is still in a folder!

Bocheememon
Oct 17, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tip!

I wish we had to option to hide an app. Like another poster, I find the contacts app redundant since I can access that information within the phone app...

Thetonyk123
Oct 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Basically a respring button

Paratel
Nov 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
See

JustinDaigle
Nov 4, 2011, 09:19 PM
Maybe because Newsstand itself is a folder, and putting it in a folder makes SpringBoard crash? The fact that it makes it unusable seems like reason enough to me.

cdcastillo
Nov 5, 2011, 11:10 AM

Or more like "A dream", by EAP.

kadouria
Nov 5, 2011, 03:04 PM
Did anyone notice

----------

Did anyone notice once you put newsstands in folder, you can't open newsstands anymore?

I have the NYTimes in my newsstands and I hid it in a folder. When I want to go and read it, my phone shuts off and starts again.

I don't even get notifications from NYT anymore. I can only open it when I search it up.

thewitt
Nov 5, 2011, 05:54 PM
Did anyone notice

----------

Did anyone notice once you put newsstands in folder, you can't open newsstands anymore?

I have the NYTimes in my newsstands and I hid it in a folder. When I want to go and read it, my phone shuts off and starts again.

I don't even get notifications from NYT anymore. I can only open it when I search it up.

You are corrupting the file system by putting a folder inside another folder with this bug. You may end up with more problems than crashing your phone... Think corrupt backup files, or temp file cleanup failures, etc.

Bad idea people...

AuroraProject
Nov 5, 2011, 06:03 PM
This trick has inadvertently added a new feature to the phone: Locking on demand.

If you try to open newsstand inside the folder, Springboard crashes, and will ask you for your passcode immediately when it restarts.

So if you plan to put your phone down around people you don't really trust, and have it set to lock after fifteen minutes, you can do this in a snap and the phone will be locked.

This has got to be the most useful bug ever. :) I'll miss it when it's fixed someday...

Or you could just push the sleep/wake button.

tablo13
Nov 5, 2011, 11:13 PM

Nope, a folder within a folder within a folder.
So I tried the trick, and when you open the folder, springboard crashes. But if you're in rearrange app mode, it'd respring when you tap on the folder which newsstand is in. So I guess it also serves as a respring function for people with no jailbreak! :D

sculpher
May 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
Killed in 5.1 :(

Cloud 9-ish
May 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Does it only work on iPhones and iPads? I have 4th gen. iPod... I guess i am not quick enough... :(

cadetandrew
May 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
Does it only work on iPhones and iPads? I have 4th gen. iPod... I guess i am not quick enough... :(

It was fixed in iOS 5.1.

mlmwalt
Jun 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
Killed in 5.1 :(

Total bummer. I've been trying to hide newsstand for months. :'(

ThunderSkunk
Jun 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Total bummer. I've been trying to hide newsstand for months. :'(

Yep.
I jail broke specifically to hide newsstand and photobooth.
Annoying.

Why we mandatorily need to have newsstand when it should just be another iBooks...

Actually, iBooks, Newsstand, and Apple University should all be combined into one app. Interactive textbooks, comic books, magazines, public archives, library of congress... Call the app Library, put Alexanders big face on the icon... ...with a tie-in to local libraries inventories and availabilities. ...for physical access to out-of-print, reference, and items only practically available through public libraries... Everything in one place with a unified experience. Do it right.