Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khalilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to make a backup copy of some home videos. I made them on a small handheld and they are saved as .mov files. I have not edited them yet I just want to make sure I have a backup copy of them. My computer is running out of space so I want to take them off the computer and put them on a DVD. I'm using a MacBook Pro and I have Toast Titanium 10. I also have Popcorn (although I'm not sure what that was used for).
If anyone can help I would be very appreciative. I'm not completely computer illiterate but not so well versed when it comes to all these video programs and different files.
Another follow up question is, once I do decide to edit these videos (probably in idvd or imovie) will they be able to be played on a regular DVD player?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Burn the .mov files as DATA DVD.
Open Toast Titanium and select DATA DVD > Mac & PC:
TT_1_dataDVD.png

This is how it should look like, even on older TT versions.
TT_2_dataDVD.png

Then add the .mov files to the window and when the DVD is full, burn it.
TT_3_dataDVD.png

Btw, why not get a cheap external HDD, or two, to backup your files to?

PS: If you ever decide to edit the footage via iMovie, you can use iDVD to create video DVDs, you will find hundreds of tutorials on how to use iMovie and iDVD and how to share projects via searching the WWW.

khalilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
OK one small problem.

I followed the directions you gave me and I burned the DVD. Then I put it in another Mac to see if it was right and everything was on there but when I tried to open a .mov movie with quick time it was only one second long. None of the .mov files were coming up any longer than a second and most are actually a couple of minutes of video each.

Am I doing something wrong? I want to be able to have a copy of the .mov files so that I can take them off my computer and edit into DVDs at another time.

Thanks again.

Nov 28, 2010
located
OK one small problem.

I followed the directions you gave me and I burned the DVD. Then I put it in another Mac to see if it was right and everything was on there but when I tried to open a .mov movie with quick time it was only one second long. None of the .mov files were coming up any longer than a second and most are actually a couple of minutes of video each.

Am I doing something wrong? I want to be able to have a copy of the .mov files so that I can take them off my computer and edit into DVDs at another time.

Thanks again.

Are the files on the DVD the same file size as on the HDD your burnt them from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.