Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is your preferred backup

• backup through iCloud

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • backup through itunes (wifi/wired)

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

vanfanel1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Just curious but what is your preferred method of backup. Syncing to itunes via wifi or icloud.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
If we backup to icloud, does it back up EVERYTHING on the iPhone or just the settings, data, etc? The reason I ask is if I have 20 gb of just music not bought from the iTunes store, there is no way I will be able to do backups with the limited icloud space, right?

Thanks.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
If we backup to icloud, does it back up EVERYTHING on the iPhone or just the settings, data, etc? The reason I ask is if I have 20 gb of just music not bought from the iTunes store, there is no way I will be able to do backups with the limited icloud space, right?

Thanks.

You cannot backup music to iCloud. iCloud backup is just like iTunes backup, it only backs up apps database and your phone settings. You're thinking of syncing. When iTunes match comes out you can dump all your non iTunes music to iCloud then you should be able to completely redownload all your music to your device. For now you still have to sync with iTunes.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Oh ok, thanks for the explanation. I guess since there is a poll there is no way to do a WiFi sync and an iCloud sync so if my iTunes Wi-Fi sync is turned on in the general settings, does that mean I can't do an iCloud sync even though that feature is turned on in the icloud -> storage and backup menu?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Maybe it's my average connection, but iCloud backups seem to take twice as long as local.
I have mine set to local by default, and will backup via iCloud, once a week.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Oh ok, thanks for the explanation. I guess since there is a poll there is no way to do a WiFi sync and an iCloud sync so if my iTunes Wi-Fi sync is turned on in the general settings, does that mean I can't do an iCloud sync even though that feature is turned on in the icloud -> storage and backup menu?

You cannot have both iTunes + iCloud backup. If you turn off iCloud backup on your device. iTunes backup will automatically turn on. I'm not sure how the computer knows you did turn off is beyond me but that's what happened to me last night. But my iPad was on Wifi network so iTunes knows what you're doing. iTunes won't backup at all if you have iCloud backup on. What you can do is do iCloud backup once and let it backup and then turn off iCloud back up then do iTunes. Now you should have both backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.