PDA

View Full Version : Mac.com down again

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 08:53 AM
Just got an error from Mail that it couldn't recieve emails, couldn't connect to my iDisk, the mac.com page is down... my homepage is still up though:-/
Is this what I paid 50 bucks for?!?!?!?

Taft
Oct 7, 2002, 09:55 AM
This is what I get.

I'm chalking this up to growing pains for a very new service with massive future potential. If this is the price of Apple continually upgrading their service and making it better, I'm all for it.

That being said...IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Taft

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Taft
I'm chalking this up to growing pains for a very new service with massive future potential. If this is the price of Apple continually upgrading their service and making it better, I'm all for it.
Well, normal companies can upgrade their systems without having their services completely down...
This is what I get now:
from mac.com
The requested application was not found on this server
I don't see why they have this kind of problems... I thought the Xserve is really great in reporting errors? :D :confused:
I'm still waiting, Apple... I wanna check my emails!!!:mad:

Thirteenva
Oct 7, 2002, 10:09 AM
can't get my mac mail here at work either. Can't connect to server.....

It's a bit annoying to say the least...

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:16 AM
Yeah, it really pisses me off, too... I already wrote an email to webmaster@mac.com at least an hour ago... but I don't know if anyone reads those emails...

e-coli
Oct 7, 2002, 10:27 AM
Hey, TheT, what's that weather app running in your menubar? that pretty groovy.

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by e-coli
Hey, TheT, what's that weather app running in your menubar? that pretty groovy.
Well, I thought I have to have a cool app if the weather already sucks...:cool:
It's called Meteorlogist and it's free, check on versiontracker.com

Rower_CPU
Oct 7, 2002, 10:40 AM
It's back up for me now...guess we had to wait for Apple's west coast people to get to work. ;) :p

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It's back up for me now...guess we had to wait for Apple's west coast people to get to work. ;) :p
...still doesn't work for me :(

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 10:54 AM
aaah... I just noticed that homepage.mac.com is down,too... so my homepage as well :eek:
"!$%&/!!!

blackpeter
Oct 7, 2002, 11:04 AM
.Mac licks. Paying for something based on imagined future features is inane. I've got better places to spend $100.

Thirteenva
Oct 7, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Still not working for me...

Can't connect with outlook...

Can't get to webmail....

mac.com not working...

very annoying....

Thirteenva
Oct 7, 2002, 12:06 PM
all appears to be working now..

TheT
Oct 7, 2002, 02:34 PM
yeah, it's all up again... finally!!!
But I don't have to be thankful for this, do I ?!?

vniow
Oct 7, 2002, 02:40 PM
I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but this is like the 10th thread in the past couple of weeks that sez .Mac down.
That's not a good sign for Apple's service.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TheT
Just got an error from Mail that it couldn't recieve emails, couldn't connect to my iDisk, the mac.com page is down... my homepage is still up though:-/
Is this what I paid 50 bucks for?!?!?!?

I know.. this makes me sick!!! BTW, cool browser, what is it?

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by TheT

...still doesn't work for me :(

it works for me, but i was at school all day! i think that it all seems to be up now! but what were the chagnes, i dont' see any!!!!

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by samdweck

it works for me, but i was at school all day! i think that it all seems to be up now! but what were the chagnes, i dont' see any!!!!

oh here we go:

Dear .Mac Member,

We hope you haven't been greatly inconvenienced by the two .Mac network outages we've experienced in the past two weeks (including this morning) and we sincerely apologize for any problems you've experienced. The outages were the result of equipment failures, and since the equipment vendor has not been able to persuade us that the problem will not occur again, we've already begun installing new equipment from a different vendor.

We're completely back up and running now, and no data or mail was lost. We expect the equipment change over to be complete within the next several weeks, and we'll be working hard to ensure that there are no further issues during that time. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience while we make this transition, and if you do experience any difficulties, please go to www.apple.com/support for up to the minute information and status.

The .Mac team

mac15
Oct 7, 2002, 08:20 PM
got the email got mad, I'm not happy

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by mac15
got the email got mad, I'm not happy

same over here, that is totally not acceptable.. and they should no better... at least make up a decent excuse lol

Taft
Oct 8, 2002, 03:40 AM
OK, maybe I'm going to sound like a big sucker, but doesn't this sound liek a good thing. If its true, it means they identified a problem in the system and were willing to switch equipment so the problem wouldn't happen again. Now lets see if they follow through.

Taft

Pants
Oct 8, 2002, 06:50 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/27482.html

.mac makes me mad - its just bad business. In fact, you have to ask why apple even bothers 'selling' products outside of the U.S.? oh sorry - it doesn't bother at all, it just relies on the like of 'us' to do the selling for it...grrrr......

TheT
Oct 8, 2002, 07:20 AM
Equipment failure?!? I hope mac.com didn't run on Xserves before, if it did, that's no gut advertisment of Apple's products... well, it's not good that .mac didn't work, either!!! And this never happen with the free iTools.
Not good...:mad:

TheT
Oct 8, 2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by samdweck

I know.. this makes me sick!!! BTW, cool browser, what is it?
It's called Cunnind, it's basically a Chimera (which is Mozilla) mod... I don't know exactly where you can find it, just search the forums, there's a thread somewhere...

Oh, I found something in the Help menu :D http://www.chrisjdavis.ath.cx/