PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Resets Defaults, Users Complain

MacBytes
May 7, 2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Tiger Resets Defaults, Users Complain (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050507132909)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iJon
May 7, 2005, 01:35 PM
Although Tiger has been flawless for me (besides the breaking of BitTorrent and Roxio products, which are all now fixed), it seems this release may have not been ready for prime time. Everyday a new problem pops up.

jon

dornoforpyros
May 7, 2005, 01:37 PM
eh so far all I had to do was change Firefox back to my default browser and change the dashboard key to F13 so I could keep useing F12 for dreamweaver preview in browser.

Doctor Q
May 7, 2005, 01:45 PM
I found that installing Tiger (as an update from Panther) reset some of my preference settings:Accounts: Login Options: "Enable fast user switching" became unchecked

International: "Show input menu in menu bar" became unchecked

Keyboard & Mouse: Mouse: Scolling Speed changed

Sound: Sound Effects: my selection was lostAnd probably others I didn't notice.

GaelDesign
May 7, 2005, 02:46 PM
:rolleyes:

An article in search of a point. A major OS upgrade changes some minor settings. Boo hoo. I'm a-cryin'.

Jared, whose Tiger upgrade was amazingly smooth...

Stella
May 7, 2005, 03:11 PM
The easy installation - to install over Panther, despite simple and quick is not ideal and is a false economy.

Many of the problems people have are as a direct result of the install over previous version.

Archive and Install in the way to go.. for a less fault free upgrade. Yes, it takes longer overall, but is well worth the hassle.

All versions of OSX Easy install have had their problems.

SPUY767
May 7, 2005, 08:23 PM
:rolleyes:

An article in search of a point. A major OS upgrade changes some minor settings. Boo hoo. I'm a-cryin'.

Jared, whose Tiger upgrade was amazingly smooth...

Here it is. Tiger, upon install, rebuilds many parts of the OS. Unlike windows, which tries its best to make the user not even notice a change, though it does an undeniably crappy job at this, Tiger doesn't keep file associations and such that can interfere with the proper execution of the operating system. Mail and Tiger are part of the registration process. What if your mail client failed compatibility with Tiger, and Tiger tried to register with it instead, and it crashed the install? And the browser thing? God, how hard is it to change it back, ten maybe fifteen seconds if you're slow on the mouse? The windows users of you out there will feel no pity for those whining regarding that quibble. I can't count the number of times I've told my windows machine at work to use opera as the default browser, yet every time I type a URL in the Run bar, good ol' IE rears it's ugly head.

Keep on cryin' if you've got nothing better to do, but if you're like me, there are bigger issues in your life than file associations.

And another thing, eWeek seems to print WAY too many anti-mac articles, so they are not a credible source in my book. They over sensationalize issues, and exaggerate claims to the detriment of the mac community.

ThePreacherMan
May 7, 2005, 08:36 PM
There has been nothing but negative reporting from eWeek. They must be pro microsoft. I wonder if this magazine isn't paid to publish negative article geared to hurting Apple.

I have not experienced anything but positive results. My machine runs faster and is more efficent than before.

Stop slandering eWeek and do some unbias reporting for a change.

Now that preaches!!!

narco
May 7, 2005, 11:07 PM
Oh boo hoo. What a bunch of babies. It takes a couple minutes, probably not even that to change everything back. Microsoft-like... give me a break. I think since Mac users don't have to complain about viruses and the like, we have to complain about small little things like this.

Fishes,
narco.

Nermal
May 7, 2005, 11:12 PM
I can't count the number of times I've told my windows machine at work to use opera as the default browser, yet every time I type a URL in the Run bar, good ol' IE rears it's ugly head.

I've even gone as far as deleting iexplore.exe, which helped, although IE still manages to open itself sometimes :eek: